Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:31   #1
mkh
Senior - BHPian

ANHC- Another New Honda City! One" H" to Another "H"

Hi Folks
Little did i imagine, that i would be authoring a thread here, have been reading so many others for months now.
How did it happen you would ask, well had been thinking about moving jobs for a while, and talking to a few friends about options where they work.
One of the main criteria in my mind was that the co should have a car lease program, as i was contemplating moving from my Verna. May sound funny, but then have been envious of the folks who keep telling me about the great deal called car lease they had from their co esp where the Road Tax and Insurance is paid by the co itself

Well as fate would have it, ,got it last month and was out in the hunt to buy a car! Little did it know that it would turn out to be much more difficult a choice than i imagined!!( more than changing jobs in fact and even tougher than when i got married)

What all did i not test drive
I-20 CRDI, Polo, Fiesta, Jazz, ANHC, Punto

The Linea was ruled out because of 2 things only(else it would be the default choice as each time see a maroon linea go past, the heart misses a beat almost- great great looks!)
1. Cannot fit in my apartment parking( and moving homes just to fit in the car was a completely crazy idea!)
2. Can't still take a chance with the FIAT A***

Wanted a car that is easy enough to drive in the city as most of my drive will be in the city itself and also is classy. Considered hatches because my wife also drives now and has her own car and i would not like to give into the temptation of taking a small car( and take hers) when i have to move around in the city which i do very often(apart from home-office trips)
An important factor was the re-sale value as am prone to changing cars and whenever that urge comes, do not wish to be stuck with a lemon

Option 1: i20 CRDI

The drive is just not that great as the looks and the interiors and of course the engine. Having driven hyundai cars for over 7 years now, wanted a change. However did not want to just let it go without a proper drive
There has been enough said about its pros and cons so will save some space and just mention that the overall package is great, the drive is quite lifeless and high speed drive does not feel secure
However must note, very powerful and refined, does not feel like a diesel engine at all until the turbo kicks in.

Option 2: Fiesta SXI
The car comes loaded with all premium features and all that is said about the drive quality is TRUE! What a superbly planted vehicle at high speeds. In city- its like a toy car in your hands, move it around as you like it. I took it to 80km/hr and when i looked at the speedo was wondering- is it readig
The biggest factor against it was the very poor resale value. Added to that the fact that a newer model maybe around soon.
One myth that got cleared- that ford dealer support is bad. I got a decent enough support for my TD requests,maybe because it was a corp purchase, but still i was not as unhappy as i thought i would be.
Still, this was still in contention for now and almost finalized.
However, could not make a decision until tried out the others in the list

Option 3:Polo
Nothing much to write except- cannot wait for 4 months, period! The car does offer all that i wanted(almost) as premium feel, solid build and compact enough.
Did not like the back seat comfort at all and clearly expecting me to wait for 4 months, however good the offering, was out of question.
Out of the list!

Option 4: Punto
What a drive and what a solid build. I must agree and not at all ashamed to admit, i was completely wrong when i thought- whats all the hype about its drive and build?? My i10 feels like a small car after this one, took it to 120+ and it was steady and raring for more!
However, looking at the way FIAT guys treated my requests for test drive and considering its resale and A*** reputation- could not bring myself to put up money on this. Sadly, had to let it go! Wish can have a Maruti or Hyundai get such a product out sometime in the future!
Point to note: None of the folks in the list failed to give a follow up call, except the good old Tata(fiat) guy, speaks so much for their interest in selling a car that is already struggling to sell decent numbers

Option 5: ANHC
Completely blown away with the ease of its drive, and the overall comfort.
Cleary the feista is more of a drivers car than the city, no doubts at all, but in long city drives, the ANHC will tire a driver less than the fiesta. Did not like the interiors that much, but the interior space was much more than the fiesta. Now the handling of both in city traffic was almost at par for me so that factor remaining constant, its high resale tilted the balance in favour of the city. ANd yes must admit a wee bit of the "snobv value" was influencing me. What the heck, let me also get some glances of admiration for once!

Now when i was in the showroom for the TD of the ANHC, the sales guy literally pushed me into taking a look at the jazz. This was not even in the picture due to its high acquisition cost, but then if am there, whats the harm in taking a TD!
That's when the next option emerged:(literally out of nowhere!)
Option 6: Jazz
What a perfectly practical car for the city. Drive was superb, did not feel as if driving a hatch, till parked in a tight spot and took a turn in a narrow lane. Man, this car has been made with THOUGHT, however less of that was applied pricing it.
I went through all the threads on TBHP on the jazz, and was sure, this IS the car that will suit my needs.
All this- but could not get myself to spend 8 lacs+ and still have a hatch( after all it is a hatch!!)
Meanwhile i got the offer(vv special ) of a major cash discount, which i discovered now was due to the anniversary offer which brought it closer to book the Jazz
Looking at the re-sale and considering that i will end up paying what i can buy a fiesta diesel for, and after many many days of debating, deliberating finally said, too much Jazz for this one.
If Honda can price this at even 50K more than the i20, this car will set the sales charts on fire, it is a fantastic car for sure if one can shell out that much for a hatch

So you might say,whats the final choice?
ANS:Still thinking!
A choice between Fiesta or City and that still lingering thought of jazz( not completely ruled out)
This was after 20 days or so of TD's, discussions, calculations etc etc!
SO what clinched the deal for the City?
Talked to a friend who has just bought a new ANHC VMT and took his car for a decent drive, and found out, its better than i thought from the TD to handle in city!
Talked to another friend who said through his connections can get me a great deal on the ANHC( cannot disclose details here). One imp thing for me is a CD player which the ANHC did not have and if that could be worked out, well will surely remove one apprehension(read that extra expense)

Finally- the long story came to a logical end when i got the actual deal on the ANHC, just went ahead and booked a red SMT from Whitefield Honda
Will get alloys fitted outside as wanted more choice on them.

Did all the paperwork with the company and have got a confirmed date for tomorrow!
Went ahead and took the checklist to do a PDI yesterday- before registration as suggested on TBHP. The guys at the showroom found it funny, as none does that in fact, but better safe than sorry!

Waiting eagerly to get the delivery and share some pics of what is actually - my first NEW car for myself ever since started driving!!!( been a USED car expert so far)
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:46   #2
BHPian

Wow another "H" to "H".

Congratulations.

Welcome to ANHC club, I too own the same colour.

But moving from Verna Diesel? if yes, then would certainly feel the torque difference.

Enjoy the ride and delivery tomorrow.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 23rd June 2010 at 14:55.
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:51   #3
BHPian

Congratulations. When are you getting delivery of the car?
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:01   #4
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Wow another "H" to "H".

Congratulations.

Welcome to ANHC club, I too own the same colour.

But moving from Verna Diesel? if yes, then would certainly feel the torque difference.

Enjoy the ride and delivery tomorrow.
Thanks!
Need to update my signature- verna was a petrol ,mind you had no regrets except that the enthusiast in me came alive after reading a lot on TBHP and the hard ride did unsettle at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Congratulations. When are you getting delivery of the car?
Thanks, tomorrow evening, has gone for registration and fittings today
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:22   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Thanks!
Need to update my signature- verna was a petrol ,mind you had no regrets except that the enthusiast in me came alive after reading a lot on TBHP and the hard ride did unsettle at times.

Thanks, tomorrow evening, has gone for registration and fittings today
That's great. So what accessories have you lined up? What is the OTR price and what freebees you got?
Eagerly awaiting for pics.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:00   #6
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
That's great. So what accessories have you lined up? What is the OTR price and what freebees you got?
Eagerly awaiting for pics.
Am getting CD player fitted as need that which is not free with the car.
Getting a corp discount of 15K which is normal and Sun Film+Reverse Sensor fitted. The normal offer now is reverse sensor+ Sun Film and i think fabric seat covers, not sure though.
Really tough to get anything out for the City.
The x-showroom is 872300 after discount, the rest is being paid by the co, however from the lease co i got a quote for total 1039300 as OTR. They put insurance value lower than what the dealer quoted, dunno whats the deal there.

Last edited by mkh : 23rd June 2010 at 16:05. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Am getting CD player fitted as need that which is not free with the car. Cannot really mention all the freebies as have a personal contact with the owners there so got a "personal deal".
Getting a corp discount of 15K which is normal and Sun Film+Reverse Sensor free. The normal offer now is reverse sensor+ Sun Film and i think fabric seat covers, not sure though.
The x-showroom is 872300 after discount, the rest is being paid by the co, however from the lease co i got a quote for total 1039300 as OTR. They put insurance value lower than what the dealer quoted, dunno whats the deal there.
I never contacted White Field Honda during my purchase, off late Iam hearing more discounts only from them.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your latest "Firey Red Decision" mkh. What a choice buddy, way to go!!

Any plans of upgrading the footwear ??
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Am getting CD player fitted as need that which is not free with the car.
Getting a corp discount of 15K which is normal and Sun Film+Reverse Sensor fitted. The normal offer now is reverse sensor+ Sun Film and i think fabric seat covers, not sure though.
Congrats tell me one thing is the corporate discount standard @ Rs 15k? As Dakshin Honda told me it was 5k only?
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Congrats tell me one thing is the corporate discount standard @ Rs 15k? As Dakshin Honda told me it was 5k only?
Corporate discount is different for different companies. They have 3 catagories 5k, 10k and 15k. This was how when I bought the car, am sure it's the same now.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
the great deal called car lease they had from their co esp where the Road Tax and Insurance is paid by the co itself
Congrats mkh!!

Could you tell me a little about company paying road tax & insurance? I thought lease companies generally do get a better deal for you, but is it true that company pays for road tax & insurance? How does this work?

Thanks
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:07   #12
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your latest "Firey Red Decision" mkh. What a choice buddy, way to go!!

Any plans of upgrading the footwear ??
Don't think i will be, does not really add any value as will be 90% city driven( as like its name!) Will be adding alloys first thing for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
I got the same from Dakshin also, both places 15K, maybe depends on the category of the co?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshaddagalla View Post
Congrats mkh!!

Could you tell me a little about company paying road tax & insurance? I thought lease companies generally do get a better deal for you, but is it true that company pays for road tax & insurance? How does this work?

Thanks
Depends on the co u work for, has little to do with the leasing co. I know places where road tax and insurance is not paid by co(like my previous co's else i would be probably onto my 3rd or 4th sedan)
The ex-showroom is funded and routed as EMI through your salary and you end up saving tax on it. I hope the benefit does not reduce with the direct tax code coming in next year. Its kinda complicated but to put in simple words, that's how it works. Another advantage- co will renew insurance also( in my case) every year.
Old 23rd June 2010, 17:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Depends on the co u work for, has little to do with the leasing co. I know places where road tax and insurance is not paid by co(like my previous co's else i would be probably onto my 3rd or 4th sedan)
The ex-showroom is funded and routed as EMI through your salary and you end up saving tax on it. I hope the benefit does not reduce with the direct tax code coming in next year. Its kinda complicated but to put in simple words, that's how it works. Another advantage- co will renew insurance also( in my case) every year.
Thanks, I do know how the whole lease plan works, but was surprised to know that some companies pay for road tax & insurance (now double surprised to know they renew it every year!). That sounds awesome! Enjoy your new car and the benefits!
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hi mkh

Congratulation on your first NEW car.
ANHC is a good sedan
Whitefield Honda is a good dealer plus workshop
Overall Honda experience has been good

post pictures of your new car, enjoy the new car delivery moments with your family.

Drive safe, have fun.
Old 23rd June 2010, 19:00   #15
BHPian

Congrats on your choice! A Honda is always a safe bet anytime. You will have no worries on quality front at least, albeit at a slight premium than its actual worth (but still OK in the Indian auto market context).
By the way, you are lucky to get the car on company lease! Subsequent to the Fin. Ministry's decision last year, my current company has done away with the Lease plans (existing ones to be wound up by March2011).

Most Viewed