Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 02:26   #16
BHPian

Stage 3: Indecision (Buddha is stuck in a seemingly infinite cycle)

And then the gf said, you jackass what was your budget?!
Poof, stage 3 begins. Confusion reigns supreme. A consultant’s problem structuring and solving skills are put to the test, and they fail miserably. The Buddha contemplates using the much reviled and sniggered-at Maslow’s hierarchy of needs and wants to justify his dilemmas and inactions.

So the gf in her inimitable style managed to drive home the core point: what was my bloddy budget in the first place? I had decided to *just* not go for a car loan, which meant I was banking rather heavily on my light-ish cash reserves. In my typical Piscean fashion, I let the problem lie around for a few days (subconsciously hoping for a miracle?). But there was to be no rich uncle to conveniently die and leave behind a few lakhs in spare cash for me. So I am still stuck with funds barely enough to buy a new WagonR, forget Jazzi or i20x.

First loop. Lateral Upgrading.
GTO’s brilliant piece on the value in buying second hand cars came to my mind. Wow, he got himself a pristine pre-worshipped Civic for 7 lakhs odd? I can also certainly bag such a Civic…the stars and fairies entered my head again. Shoo! Don't forget your budget, I told myself. Researched extensively on Team-BHP, found out all about used car dealers’ dirty deeds, done dirt cheap. Figured it had to be an individual seller for me. And buyer is king: I would only look at models done less than 20k. Quickly found out about Carwale.com. Oooh thousands of deals…most of them in Mumbai! I think that I will be spoilt for choice, and then be done with a purchase soon. Reality bites. No i20x, Jazzi or Grande Puntos out there. These are all cars launched less than a year ago duffer…no used market for them yet! Rethink.

Ahh the Mitsubishi Cedia! If only I could lay my hands on one! Nopes, no Cedia Sports in Mumbai. There is one in Gujjuland. Too far. One Cedia Select in Aurangabad; hmm…nopes, it's a Select. Pah I never get what I want. Over the next few months I continued to search for a Cedia, but to no avail. Re-rethink.

Ok, I was now ready to grudgingly consider a used Swift Zxi / Vxi with ABS. There are more than hundred Swifts out there…certainly I will hit a pot of gold here? Realized that the Carwale market shrinks by 90% when you only look at individual sellers. Only one individual seller with the right variant. Grrrr. Anyway, trekked all the way to Malad (felt as if I covered a 100 miles that day) to check out this dude’s Vxi with ABS. Car was not really bad, but I felt no real joy. Put on backburner for now.

What next? Hmm…say, there aren’t really too many cars with ABS and Airbags are there?! I am becoming model indifferent now. Just show me some cars with ABS/Airbags goddamit! But Carwale has no filter to look at cars with ABS. I run all sorts of searches in increasing desperation. Find out all cars in the right price range and km range – will specifically check the variants for ABS after that. No luck on that – for my budget all I see are Getz, Citys, Fiestas etc, none with safety features. What to do now?

Second loop. ABS-olute interrogation.
I slip in my sordid story to the sassy soulmate. She immediately gets all maternal…“Ohh baby, don't worry. We will get ourselves a nicey car soon. Tell me exactly what is your problem. How come you don't seem to be able to find a single car in Mumbai” (OT: she is sweet, no? ). My story quickly tumbles out…

To be continued
Old 28th June 2010, 07:31   #17
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 29th June 2010 at 12:20.
//M is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th June 2010, 08:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hello Buddha,

What an incredible review, so much details put in to reject every hatcback and finally arrive to a sedan, Man, thats some thing which I am going to remember for a long long time.
This is turning out to be a 3hr suspense thriller and we have just reached the intermission. Keep it going.
By the rate you have TDed most of the hatchback, you must have been inundated with the dealer calls for a confirmation/booking.
I would be the first to say "Welcome to Fiesta Family" I myself own a Fiesta and know that your efforts of getting a Fiesta would not go waste once you sit behind those wheels. Happy mile crunching. Keep it coming Buddha.
Old 28th June 2010, 10:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Buddha man!!
Read through the entire post. What seemed like an excellent write up, turned out be a stupendous write-up!!You write well man.
Now give us the whole dope soon and fast.You know, have to be there in office for the whole day.
And thanks for the priority thing man!! hehe!!
Old 30th June 2010, 12:05   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This is turning out to be a 3hr suspense thriller and we have just reached the intermission. Keep it going.
By the rate you have TDed most of the hatchback, you must have been inundated with the dealer calls for a confirmation/booking.
I would be the first to say "Welcome to Fiesta Family" I myself own a Fiesta and know that your efforts of getting a Fiesta would not go waste once you sit behind those wheels. Happy mile crunching. Keep it coming Buddha.
Thanku thanku. I only got all these calls and dealer SMSes for a while. Then I stopped giving them my number. I mean, I was struggling with my purchase decision already, without them dealers screwing with my head!

Yes the Fiesta has been a very nice drive so far. Yet to take her out on a long trip though. Soon, hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Buddha man!!
Read through the entire post. What seemed like an excellent write up, turned out be a stupendous write-up!!You write well man.
Now give us the whole dope soon and fast.You know, have to be there in office for the whole day.
And thanks for the priority thing man!! hehe!!
Ok, so the penultimate section is coming up right after this post. How come on a Wednesday, that too in the middle of the day?

You know when you are addicted to Team-BHP when...
You are unwell and supposed to be resting at home, but no mere cold can keep you away from Team-BHP!
Old 30th June 2010, 12:14   #21
BHPian

Stage 4: Clarity! (Zen and the Art of Motorcar Purchase)

Second Loop. ABS-olute interrogation.
I slip in my sordid story to the sassy soulmate. She immediately gets all maternal…“Ohh baby, don't worry. We will get ourselves a nicey car soon. But tell me exactly what is your problem. How come you don't seem to be able to find a single car in Mumbai” (OT: she is sweet, no?). My story quickly tumbles out…

Oh you really thought my story tumbled out quickly, knowing me? Think again! But the goddess still managed to coax and cajole it out of me at a frenetic pace (she considered it mildly acceptable). She then put it in a nutshell..
She: so you want your cars to have ABS/Airbags and you cant find any, is that it?
Me: Nopes, don't confuse my wants with my needs. Nobody can want ABS (seen anyone say “ooh the sight of that ABS sticker on the boot goes my knees go weak”?), they just need it.
She: (after rolling her eyes pointedly) Ok, so what is it you really, quote unquote, want then?
Me: Hmm. You know what, the car I really lust for is an old Honda City type 2. Say, a 2002 model.
She: !
She: You want to buy a decade old car?! So-and-so bought a nice respectable *new* Honda just last year; but that path isn’t for you eh? You just want an old car which will break down all the time, so that you can shower all attention on that metal box and leave me stranded!
Me:
She: Hmm…
She: Hmm. I know your love for cars. I guess its fine if you really want that car. Go ahead, indulge . But when I am sitting in that contraption and we are at a traffic light, I will make eye contact with the others, and then make it a point to roll my eyes and gesture about you: (“he…..is….nutty….”)
(I am thinking woohoo – she agreed!)
Me: Whatever, I will be in a goddamn *Old Honda City*! But do you even know this car that I am crazy about? This 'contraption' as you call it! This is the car that…
She: Ok ok got it! Please don't start now.
Me: …set my childhood dreams ali……
She: Really? Well, good to know. Now I know. Honda City = car of dreams. Perfect. Agenda item closed. Next? So you are cool with this car even if it doesn't have those buggy ABS/Airbags?
Me: Yea I guess! My dad has been driving for 30 years and hasn't even got a city traffic fender bender against his name, forget an actual accident. I guess I will also drive super safe. I know it's not a sensible thing to do, but what the hell! I now want to live it up by buying a car I LOVE! Sensible stuff can wait for when we have babies and their dirty nappies and Maclaren prams and baby seats…seriously, I think this is the car for me right now babe…
She: Arrggh even when he thinks of babies he thinks first of their prams coz they have tiny wheels! And he even knows that some Maclaren company makes those prams! Mamma…who is this nutcase I am marrying?!

So that is how the cookie crumbles. Buddha decides to buy a car out of sheer necessity, and ends up giving in to his deepest desires. From disconnected commuting to unadulterated motoring, the loop has been closed. Asceticism can wait, now is the time to… Indulge.

Final stage follows.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2010 at 10:34. Reason: Strictly no more than 2 smileys per post please. Read our rules
buddha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2010, 17:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

^^ Wow!! Absolute wonderful write up.
But Mclaren Pram!! I have not heard of it.
and yeah!! they have wheels, hehe!!
Wonderful Mr. Buddha, so when is the next part coming up?
Old 30th June 2010, 17:31   #23
BHPian

Buddha

I see some competition coming up for Sam in his writing skills. Way to go buddy.

Don't forget to upload a couple of snaps of your beauty [ both ]
Old 30th June 2010, 17:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Buddha man! I love your write up. Dont keep us waiting - I am really anxious to know how did you zero-ed on your current purchase.

Maclaren prams - hm.. now, you are giving me ideas.

Bring it on man - give us the story in detail, as you are doing now.
Quote:
She: You want to buy a decade old car?! So-and-so bought a nice respectable *new* Honda just last year; but that path isn’t for you eh? You just want an old car which will break down all the time, so that you can shower all attention on that metal box and leave me stranded!
replace Honda City with Enfield, and this becomes my story
Old 1st July 2010, 09:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
^^ Wow!! Absolute wonderful write up.
But Mclaren Pram!! I have not heard of it.
and yeah!! they have wheels, hehe!!
Wonderful Mr. Buddha, so when is the next part coming up?
Hold on to your horses bros, this isnt McLaren we are talking about. Its Maclaren, a different firm. So no V8s or twin rear diffusers on these prams
I notice a lot of these buggies nowadays. Here is what they look like...
How I bought a car (Pre-owned Paprika Red Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq Zxi)-quest_mod_black_pea_3_4_09.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Buddha

I see some competition coming up for Sam in his writing skills. Way to go buddy.

Don't forget to upload a couple of snaps of your beauty [ both ]
Whoa the same Sam who has about 400 million people lapping up his words in glee? I have a long way to go mate, but thanks for the comparison
Also, I do think I am way too verbose, but kya karei, control nahi hota!
Pics of the appropriate beauty will be up soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
replace Honda City with Enfield, and this becomes my story
Wow dude Enfield! Now you are giving me ideas...wouldn't I just love one of those, or a Funduro! Ahh the bliss in even imagining that sorta stuff...
Old 1st July 2010, 09:59   #26
BHPian

Buddha best write up ever which i have read. I am more or less in the same boat, so waiting for the finale...
Old 1st July 2010, 10:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

@buddha

Are you a cinema or seriel script writer? (just joking)
Its just like reading a script nicely worded with all ingredients therein!

Anyway Congratulations - enjoy driving your Fiesta!
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:13   #28
BHPian

Stage 5: Close encounter with a Honda!

So that is how the cookie crumbles. Buddha decides to buy a car out of sheer necessity, and ends up giving in to his deepest desires. From disconnected commuting to unadulterated motoring, the loop has been closed. Asceticism can wait, now it the time to… Indulge.

So that was the story of my purchase decision folks. I was finally clear about which car I wanted to buy – The OHC. But it doesn't end there does it? You already know that I eventually ended up with a Ford Fiesta instead. So in this final section let me quickly tell you what actually transpired…

(aside: “let me quickly tell you what transpired”? You fell for it, yet again?)

But seriously, I do need to bring closure to this purchase process thread now. Life, and the rest of this fanatic car forum, await! My mind is full of philosophical thoughts that I would love to bombard the outer world with. Briefly speaking, I want to talk to people about Why cars. So here is hoping that I can stop rambling on about my purchase process soon enough! I do need to speak about my ownership experience too, you know!

[ Edit: due to length constraints I have sent the final final stage into another post, so this isn’t technically the last post. They are back to back though, if its any respite]

So I wanted an OHC. Preferably a VTEC, but a 1.3 or 1.5 would also do. More importantly, I wanted one in mint condition. I know there are far too many battered OHCs out there, and I sadly encountered only such battered ones during my search. Ahh the trauma. In the meantime I found a Pre-owned Paprika Red Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq Zxi (yea the title, I know) at Mahindra First Choice, and running out of patience, went ahead and booked it for 5,000 rupees. Hurried purchase. Delivery in 3 days. Then I met her.

I was going home to Antop Hill the next day after paying the Fiesta deposit, passing by Dadar’s Five Gardens area (this is where the famed Parsi Colony is located), and I saw her. An unbelievably well-maintained, Champagne Gold O H C. Right car and right color. And you wouldn't believe, it literally looked like it had been brought off the factory line just then – not even showroom, just fresh off the factory! I went mental. Told the taxi to take a U-turn and stop there. He was all #$#@$% (you know how it is with me and Mumbai taxiwallahs).

I jumped out and admired the car for a while. That perfect rear and that low-slung side profile. Scratchless. Matchless. This one even had brilliant alloys. I usually dislike the alloys people put on OHCs, but she had just the right alloys – sporty yet not the least bit tacky. Fat rubber and low profile tires. Woohoo! This car was a stunner. I realize that the taxi guy was staring at me curiously. I braced myself and entered the building so that I could meet the owner. I looked at the residents list and promptly lost all nerve. Palkhiwala, Tyrewala, Rustomji, etc etc. All Parsis, every single one of them. Not that I have anything against them, but I chickened out. I chickened out because I now understood the car before me. I had always heard that Parsis are unbelievably nice to their cars, and now I understood. This gentleman must have probably *personally* polished that car every single day of its life. He would probably admire her for a few minutes every day before taking her out for a short drive. He wouldn't use his baby for any errands; there would be a hatchback for runaround tasks (I looked around, and there was indeed a WagonR over there which was gleaming in a suspiciously similar manner). So she was just his dream car then, like it was mine. To be adored and admired. What right did I have to go knocking upon his door and ask if he would sell her? And even if he liked my nerve and said, ok I can sell to a fellow car-lover, what were my credentials? Would I be able to take care of her the way he did? Naah, I didn't think I was qualified enough to ask for her hand. So I left, sad, but also happy in a way.

Sneaky rascal that I am, I did note down the registration number and let a couple or Parsi contacts know that I would be interested in buying that car if the owner would consider selling. Shady back door attempt it was. OHCs sell for 2-3 lacs, but I was willing to pay much much more for that particular car. Told them that. Told them I was willing to forego my Fiesta deposit. But I never heard back on that particular issue. Was it gentlemanly on their part that they never came back to me on that? I like to think that they probably never bothered the owner on my account : )

I still see the car sometimes, sitting there all pretty, like a goddess. Now that I write down my encounter with her down, an idea strikes me. I will place an anonymous note on the windscreen, telling the gentleman that his car has a secret admirer . And who knows, if he is on TeamBHP and gets around to reading this, he might feel a wee bit happy and proud that his car touched the life of another soul so!

The Drive
But can you believe it – I have never actually driven an OHC? Really. But you know the saying ‘If looks could kill’? Well the Original Honda City killed me instantly upon launch in 1998. Then type 2 came out in 2000, and a dead man was killed again. Crystal headlamps, jewel tail lamps, champagne gold color…this car was the acme of car beauty for me. Still is. I still remember the tagline: Gem of an engine, jewel of a car. Gotta bow to the ad guy – he hit the nail on the head. And so what if I haven’t driven one – I just know how it drives.

Depress the pedal…for a while…nothing. Then, a steadily rising sense of anticipation. Then it begins. You are near Redline now! 7000 RPM! The engine is screaming – not in a worrisome way, but more like a heady wail by Bruce Dickinson in Fear of the Dark. The engine is screaming, the tires are squealing, the car is hurtling ahead, and your heart is throbbing! Sweating palms and blurred vision! You are one with the machine. The steering is hydraulic, listens to you perfectly. The car handles like its on rails. Upshift. Screaming engine, squealing tires, hurtling car, throbbing car…this has to be Nirvana!
(Gosh that was one exhilarating passage to even write!)

So this is how I feel about the OHC. Please let me know if I am mistaken in how it drives. And also tell me if the steering wheel is really too thin – because that is the one bit that's discordant in my symphony of imagination. And of course, please let me know if I can drive yours ever!

As I wrote this, I felt a pang: ‘Damn this isn’t the car I bought!’ But maybe its better this way, I consoled myself. Perhaps there is something called too much sin! And perhaps this way, my dream drive will live on forever, unadulterated by that traitor called reality.
buddha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:37   #29
BHPian

The Dream Comes Alive

…perhaps this way, my dream drive will live on forever, unadulterated by that traitor called reality.

So this is it folks. The OHC dream remained a dream, and I bought the Fiesta instead. This post is all about how that bit happened. Thus ends the purchase process. And before we end, may it be noted, that this purchase process has had quite a few simplifications while pen was put to paper. For example, the safety loop did not die a quiet death, and continued to haunt me while I considered non-ABS cars. Also, the OHC did not enter my thoughts that late – it was actually one of the first cars that I thought of, but it had to bow out in defeat the first time around I had crossed that idea past the gf and others. Similarly the Lateral Upgrade Loop didn't make that late an entry into my thought process – it was always at the periphery of consciousness from the time I had considered buying an OHC. Then, I also have to mention the several rounds of discussions I had with fellow BHPian and buddy ‘vcash’. He advised me through most of my confusions, and saw how I finally became a Fiesta owner. Well lets get on with the post and let you all know as well!

I couldn't find any Cedias or OHCs, and began looking at Ford Fiestas. Now let me come clean, I wasn't that sold on the idea of a Fiesta initially. Hadn’t known much about the legendary 1.6S till my car hunt began. I only considered Fiestas originally because they were going for dirt cheap and supposedly handled well. Well maintained 3 year old Fiestas could be had for as low as 3.5 lacs – whereas SX4s of the same vintage were going for 4.5-5 lacs. And I personally didn't care much for one over the other – after all neither of them was anything like the OHC, or the even-more-elusive Cedia Sports.

Then I happened to drive a 1.6 Sxi. Car was in poor condition, so was rejected, but the engine really was something. Straining to be let go, like a beast on a leash. Just touch the accelerator pedal, and it would leap. I was surprised. But not delighted. The car was in poor shape, so I let go. Gf was getting restless. Then I had a near miss with a Paprika Red Fiesta at Mahindra First Choice, Goregaon. I saw the car, I liked it, but still wanted my friend to have a look at the innards. Bad mistake. We missed the car when we were only 30 minutes away from the showroom the next Saturday. I was hopping mad at my fate. I had given up hope on the Cedia Sports and the OHC, but couldn't I even lay hands on a nice Fiesta? Told the salesman that he better call me as soon as they get another Fiesta in good condition. Mahindra did call back in a few days time. A Fiesta in decent condition had just come in, but it was a diesel. Thankfully, it was again in that Paprika Red color. The rest is history.

But why diesel, you ask? Hey, I love diesels! We have always had diesels in my family! I just luurrrv the torque they deliver. Had never considered a diesel all this while because my running wouldn't be high enough to justify the ~80k premium. But this is the used car market – price differentials aren’t that high! The petrol I missed went for 3.5, I got this one for 4 lacs after bargaining. Didn't even get the car checked by anyone this time around – just paid the deposit, asap. The car was never shown to any other buyer – it was snapped up even as it came in! Talk about a Hurried Purchase. And then she happened. The OHC encounter I have already written about.

The Dream Comes Alive

As you know, nothing came of the OHC hurdle. So I went ahead and took delivery of my Fiesta soon after my encounter with that Golden Goddess, Champagne Madness. Was I happy? Hmm yes, I say. Don't sound very convincing do I?

But this Paprika priestess grew on me bit by bit. Gradually I realized how well planted this car was. And it had razor sharp handling. And perfectt gearshifts. And the same low-slung stance that I love. And the classic three-box shape. Not bad eh. And then one day it happened.

I was driving down from work, tired after a long day, and with a cold festering in my throat. Turned off the AC and rolled down the windows for fresh air (the gun has been loaded, but the victim doesn't know yet). Crossed the Fort area, just like any other late evening commuter; the radio is playing some inane song. And then the road opened up completely after I crossed VT.

Vroooooooooooooooooom!

In one single third-gear knockout punch my feelings for this car were transformed! My right hand got welded to the steering wheel and the left anchored to the gearshift. Kept my eyes upon the road (thanks Jim). Turned that goddamn radio off. I could hear that deep, throaty diesel growl. Heady as hell. I could smell the road and feel the wind from the open windows.

Vrooooooooooooooooooooooom!

This is it! I am finally a car fan again, and I am in love with this Paprika Priestess who jostled her way into my life. This car has made me a car fan again. I am living my dream yet! Asceticism can wait, now is the time to....

How I bought a car (Pre-owned Paprika Red Ford Fiesta 1.4 Duratorq Zxi)-live-drive.jpg

The End.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Buddha!! what a stonking write up man!!
Amazing piece of read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Depress the pedal…for a while…nothing. Then, a steadily rising sense of anticipation. Then it begins. You are near Redline now! 7000 RPM! The engine is screaming – not in a worrisome way, but more like a heady wail by Bruce Dickinson in Fear of the Dark. The engine is screaming, the tires are squealing, the car is hurtling ahead, and your heart is throbbing! Sweating palms and blurred vision! You are one with the machine. The steering is hydraulic, listens to you perfectly. The car handles like its on rails. Upshift. Screaming engine, squealing tires, hurtling car, throbbing car…this has to be Nirvana!
(Gosh that was one exhilarating passage to even write!).
It was exhilarating even to read, wonderful description.
So now that you are a fiesta fanboy, we need to see the snaps of your diesel beauty asap.
Hope you are taking good care of her!!I know without a doubt that you must be. Have fun with the torque man.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks