Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2010, 01:04   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA5K View Post
I switched over to synthetic - Mobil 1, in my 2006 LXi about 6 months back. Engine has been running super smooth since then. I did use flush during the oil change.
I got impatient … I went to the Shell outlet near ISKON Temple to fill petrol, and then purchased 4+1=5 litres of their synthetic oil, Shell Helix Ultra, 5W-40. The grey-coloured cans.

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-001.jpg

The back-side label on the larger can gives detailed specs.

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-002.jpg

This is imported from the Gulf … check this out:

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-003.jpg

Quote:
1. Added flush to the engine. started engine and let it idle for 5 minutes.
2. drained oil.
3. changed filter
4. topped up Mobil 1
I have more questions … according to what I read here and here, the flushing process involves these steps:

1. Drain away the old engine oil
2. Put in what has been termed ‘flushing’ oil (I am educating myself on this type of oil now)
3. Run the engine in slow-to-medium idle for 15–20 mins
4. Drain the flushing oil out
5. Fill in the new fully synthetic oil

The process you have detailed involves adding a ‘flush’ to the old engine oil, idling it for 5 mins, draining it away, changing the filter and adding the new oil. Kind of different from what was said earlier.

Which process is the correct one?

Quote:
Cost of flush was 300 or so. and Mobil 1, 4lt cost me about 3.8k - that's about 950/lt. I think Mobil 1 is available for 850 or so in B'lore.
I paid Rs.4,060 for the 4-liter can, and Rs.1,015 for the 1 litre one.

Both the store attendant and the manager confirmed, to my repeated questions, that the Baleno requires 5 litres … did you say you got 4 litres? Did I just spend Rs.1,015/- in vain?!

Also, this means Shell is costlier than Mobil? I know I wasn’t duped, since the price is printed on one of the labels…

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-004.jpg

Quote:
I had also changed spark plugs then - Bosch PlatinumIr Fusion. Got a set of 4 for 1.8k after discount.
Where did you source them in Bangalore? Number/address available?

Quote:
There was a significant improvement after the Engine Oil + spark plug change. The engine now revs much more smooth and the spark plugs improved the in-city driving. Earlier a turn / speed-breaker i would take in 2nd gear can now be done in 3rd gear too. the engine doesn't stutter or cry.
That’s very nice to know … I might walk this path too … kindly do clarify my above questions.

Old 4th July 2010, 01:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenParadox View Post
Both the store attendant and the manager confirmed, to my repeated questions, that the Baleno requires 5 litres … did you say you got 4 litres? Did I just spend Rs.1,015/- in vain?!
I think the Baleno requires 3.5L or is it 3.3L ? The Maruti workshop I go to, told me that they now stock Mobil 1. And when I plan to change oil (am currently using Petronas Syntium synthetic), I could take it from them.

I said, whats the point? Since they will charge more. He said the flip side is, they will charge for 3.3-3.4L only and I need not pay for a 4L jar ! He has a point. Will consider it when I change later this year.
Old 4th July 2010, 01:38   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
I think the Baleno requires 3.5L or is it 3.3L ? The Maruti workshop I go to, told me that they now stock Mobil 1. And when I plan to change oil (am currently using Petronas Syntium synthetic), I could take it from them.

I said, whats the point? Since they will charge more. He said the flip side is, they will charge for 3.3-3.4L only and I need not pay for a 4L jar ! He has a point. Will consider it when I change later this year.
Yes, but you've got to be sure what they provide you with is indeed the new fully synthetic oil, and you should try to be present when they do the oil change...
Old 4th July 2010, 11:19   #34
BHPian

Quote:
I have more questions … according to what I read here and here, the flushing process involves these steps:

2. Put in what has been termed ‘flushing’ oil (I am educating myself on this type of oil now)

The process you have detailed involves adding a ‘flush’ to the old engine oil, idling it for 5 mins, draining it away, changing the filter and adding the new oil. Kind of different from what was said earlier.

Both are right in their own way. They differ in their methodologies. The flush I bought was a simpler process. Perhaps this is the new way, and saves time

Quote:
MRP on Mobil 1 was Rs.4,250 or so, I had paid 3.8k after discount. In JC Road (i think General Auto Spares) it is available at Rs.850 or so per liter.

Quote:
Perhaps u spent that in vain. May be you can take the 1lt bottle back to the Shell store for refund. Like mentioned in the above posts, Baleno uses about 3.5lt only. I still have some oil left over in the 4lt can.

Quote:
Also, this means Shell is costlier than Mobil? I know I wasn’t duped, since the price is printed on one of the labels…
Expensive or not, that is subjective. The disadvantage with buying at Shell store is they sell at MRP rates only. Elsewhere you would get it at lesser price than printed MRP. Typically, Synthetic oils cost about pretty much the same.

Quote:
Got this info from my friend Nikhil, try checking at General Auto Spares, JC Road - 080-22271302 / 080-22275382
Old 4th July 2010, 11:36   #35
BHPian

Quote:

Both are right in their own way. They differ in their methodologies. The flush I bought was a simpler process. Perhaps this is the new way, and saves time

Quote:
MRP on Mobil 1 was Rs.4,250 or so, I had paid 3.8k after discount. In JC Road (i think General Auto Spares) it is available at Rs.850 or so per liter.

Quote:
Perhaps u spent that in vain. May be you can take the 1lt bottle back to the Shell store for refund. Like mentioned in the above posts, Baleno uses about 3.5lt only. I still have some oil left over in the 4lt can.

Quote:
Expensive or not, that is subjective. The disadvantage with buying at Shell store is they sell at MRP rates only. Elsewhere you would get it at lesser price than printed MRP. Typically, Synthetic oils cost about pretty much the same.

Quote:
[ignore]Got this info from my friend Nikhil, try checking at General Auto Spares, JC Road - 080-22271302 / 080-22275382[/ignore]
oops.. above info is for Mobil 1

I got the Bosch spark-plugs (and infact u can get all Bosch products - Wipers, horns, battery, filters) at Frontline Automobiles on Lalbagh Road.

Frontline Automobiles,
Jai Bheem Bhavan, #16, New Mission Road, JC Road 1st Cross, Bengaluru - 027
Ph: 080-41144764

Last edited by MA5K : 4th July 2010 at 11:38.
Old 4th July 2010, 13:08   #36
BHPian

here, Google maps link to the Frontline Automobiles (B on the map route).

Last edited by MA5K : 4th July 2010 at 13:10.
Old 4th July 2010, 15:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have tried this on the Baleno, maybe I should stick to your procedure … tell me, how much had your car run before you attempted this flushing?

Quote:

True, but I have heard that there are a lot of fake products in the market. The way I thought, if I buy from Shell, at least it will be the unadulterated original, of that you can be sure.

Quote:
[ignore]Got this info from my friend Nikhil, try checking at General Auto Spares, JC Road - 080-22271302 / 080-22275382[/ignore]
oops.. above info is for Mobil 1

I got the Bosch spark-plugs (and infact u can get all Bosch products - Wipers, horns, battery, filters) at Frontline Automobiles on Lalbagh Road.

Frontline Automobiles,
Jai Bheem Bhavan, #16, New Mission Road, JC Road 1st Cross, Bengaluru - 027
Ph: 080-41144764
Thanks. Also, do you know if changing the oil and air filters will void my warranty?
Old 5th July 2010, 00:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Since you have tried this on the Baleno, maybe I should stick to your procedure … tell me, how much had your car run before you attempted this flushing?
My car had done 47.5k on the odo when i switched to synth. It had been running mineral all along.

Quote:
Thanks. Also, do you know if changing the oil and air filters will void my warranty?
Changing oil to synth shouldn't void your warranty, as Maruti themselves are marketing/selling synth oil at M.A.S.S and their authorised dealers.

Which air filter are you planning to switch to? Am not sure if that would affect warranty. But anyways, most of the components are not generally covered in the warranty you get on True Value. Better cross-check with Maruti folks on this.

Besides, Baleno is a robust car. I bought mine from TruValue only and it had clocked only 14k km when I had bought. I've driven 40k km in the last 2 years I've had it and thankfully there has been no problem at all.
Old 5th July 2010, 11:51   #39
BHPian

Quote:
My car had done 47.5k on the odo when i switched to synth. It had been running mineral all along.

Changing oil to synth shouldn't void your warranty, as Maruti themselves are marketing/selling synth oil at M.A.S.S and their authorised dealers.

Which air filter are you planning to switch to? Am not sure if that would affect warranty. But anyways, most of the components are not generally covered in the warranty you get on True Value. Better cross-check with Maruti folks on this.

Besides, Baleno is a robust car. I bought mine from TruValue only and it had clocked only 14k km when I had bought. I've driven 40k km in the last 2 years I've had it and thankfully there has been no problem at all.
Thanks again ... I hope to use it for 3–4 years without hassles.

"oil and air filters" ... I actually meant oil filter and air filter. Will clarify this with Maruti.

I went to JC Road and purchased the dashboard clock for the Baleno. It was not easy to find, believe me. We scoured the main street first, and no one had it. One shop on the main street, called "Car Jewel" offered to try to get it if we would wait. Of course, we would wait!

After about 10 mins, he got the part delivered, and he showed us the product. No price tag, and he said "The original costs Rs.3,000, saab. Hum tho direct Taiwan se mangwathe hain, so I can give it to you for Rs.1,150." The bugger had a greasy demeanour, and I had been advised on this forum that the device would come for Rs.500–700. We politely told him we'd be back, and walked out.

Next was the inner roads, teeming with people. The roads are lined with auto stores ... people stand on the street to cajole you to buy from their store. There were cows lazing on the roads, and people milling around the animals, splitting trail around them like ants around stones. Inexplicably, as is possible only in India, the road also conducted (one-way) traffic. Thinking back, I am unable to understand how all this could simultaneously happen, and with no apparent problems. Like I said, possible only in India.

My wife confirmed aloud that this was the last time she was coming to JC Road, or for that matter, on any auto-part-purchase trip...

We must have asked in 20 shops before one said they had it. It was the exact same brand and model, and the price was printed on it: Rs.490!!

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-005.jpg

Thank heavens (and binz@TeamBHP) that we had not succumbed to the earlier swindle. I should probably report that store on The Team-BHP Directory. See the price tag:

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-006.jpg

Needless to say, we made the purchase. Here are the contents:

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-007.jpg

Apparently, they manufacture dash clocks for many Maruti Suzuki cars, and then some!

Name:  008.jpg
Views: 6372
Size:  19.9 KB

The unit has Baleno embossed on the backside. Finishing poor.

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-009.jpg

This is not OEM, and obviously not the highest quality, but I hope time will be displayed accurately.

Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi (2005) ... Got Her Home!-010.jpg

I will post here how it goes after I get it installed. Meanwhile:

[1] Does anyone know if an OEM unit will be available with any MASS?
[2] Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Last edited by GoldenParadox : 5th July 2010 at 11:56.
Old 5th July 2010, 15:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Wow, nice find with the clock, though as you said, finishing could have been better. High time I also went around G.P.Road (Chennai's equivalent of your JC Road) and got one for the Baleno.

How is this fitted in the car ? Simply push it in the slot provided on the dash ?

@Shuvc, I guess the Vxi came with clock. Could you please post a pic, just to compare firt and finish ?
Old 5th July 2010, 16:36   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
How is this fitted in the car ? Simply push it in the slot provided on the dash?

@Shuvc, I guess the Vxi came with clock. Could you please post a pic, just to compare firt and finish ?
The unit is not pushed in through the front ... I tried that. It doesn't fit (of course, assuming my clock is the correct one!!).

Would be nice if we had a proper and clear pic of the VXi... Check out this thread, where a Baleno is being worked upon. You can see the clock installed...

Also, supremeBaleno, have you tried fully synthetic oil in your car?
Old 5th July 2010, 17:06   #42
Senior - BHPian

Nope, I have been running only mineral oil and no plans to move to Synthetic-oil as of now.
Old 7th July 2010, 15:20   #43
BHPian

Quote:
The unit is not pushed in through the front ... I tried that. It doesn't fit (of course, assuming my clock is the correct one!!).

Would be nice if we had a proper and clear pic of the VXi... Check out this thread, where a Baleno is being worked upon. You can see the clock installed...

Also, supremeBaleno, have you tried fully synthetic oil in your car?
Mine is a Baleno Vxi 07 model, but i dont have the clock installed !! Infact even I want to install a clock in my baleno. Let me know where you are getting it done & i will follow you (will have to buy one now !)

I have also moved to Shell Helix Ultra recently ( @ 52K kms) & there is a remarkable difference in the smoothness offered. I can feel it, the engine revs up smooth & you rarely get a feeling of engine being roughed up.

sorry to hijack ur thread bro ..
My next upgrade to the BlackHawk this week is "Sequential LPG Kit - BRC sequent24". I am doing away with the existing closed loop setup and going the sequential way ! will keep you guys posted on how it performs !
Old 7th July 2010, 15:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Nope, I have been running only mineral oil and no plans to move to Synthetic-oil as of now.
I really don't find the need for a stock car to move to Synthetic Oil unless you have a free revving engine. When you are running a header under the hood makes sense since you would want it to revv butter smooth.
Old 7th July 2010, 16:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I really don't find the need for a stock car to move to Synthetic Oil unless you have a free revving engine. When you are running a header under the hood makes sense since you would want it to revv butter smooth.
But a synth oil like Helix Ultra has cleansing properties which would help maintaining engine health in the long run i believe. And in my opinion, the synth oil actually lasts longer than mineral ( i have observed this in my earlier palio), only that you should make sure to change the oil filter when its 5k old and top up the engine oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks