Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 16:16   #16
BHPian

Chevy Beat : I hate............. Beat ......

Just curious, Why do you hate Beat. I understand its you personal choice and i respect it. But eager to know if your dislike for the car has anything to do with the specifications of the car??
Old 1st July 2010, 17:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Just curious, Why do you hate Beat. I understand its you personal choice and i respect it. But eager to know if your dislike for the car has anything to do with the specifications of the car??
If you read it in context:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Ford FIGO : I hate American cars and even a well priced FIGO is not going to change that.
Chevy Beat : I hate............. Beat ......"
A Chevy is not exactly a brand i want to buy. And coming to beat, even though it looked funky to me before, with more and more Beats on road, it starts looking uglier.

As you can see, its not a fact based opinion, its a perspective. I do not want to say GM is a bad brand or Beat is a bad car. Far from it.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:06   #18
BHPian

Skywalker,

Nice write-up so you bought i10?
Old 1st July 2010, 18:32   #19
BHPian

Sir,
I respect your choice of cars. However, the Indiaca Vista Quadrajet BS4 also suits your requirements and fits your budget. In fact, I found the Vita to be more spacious than the swift and the i10. Did you avoid this car because of an unsatisfactory dealership experience?
Old 1st July 2010, 19:57   #20
BHPian

Aww..this is great narration Skywalker. Go on. I bet you got another H, a slanted one this time in the form of i10 AT???
If it is, a great selection indeed. So many cars today in the 1.2L war, to me i10 still stands out as an all round car.
Old 2nd July 2010, 08:43   #21
Senior - BHPian

It happened in one day

All TDs happened in one day. The decision was made in one day.

That's just not us. Buying my second car was a long process which lasted more than a year. This thread is a witness.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...2-choices.html
Our guess is: we got third time lucky. Or it was love at first sight.

First, to Nissan
I look up Nissan on the web and hit Shahwar Nissan. Call them up and a lady picks up. She has a nice voice and pleasant tone.
"I would like to check if Micra available…"
"Yes sir. Micra is a brilliant brand new car and......."
3 minutes pass. Somebody please tell her I am in TBHP and I probably know more about the car than her already.
I cut to the chase.
Can I see the car? Yes.
Can I come on Sunday? Yes
What’s the price? Between 4-8-6.9L on road.

Sounds good. Sunday morning we drive to the showroom. On the way, we are lost and need directions. Try the showroom numbers again. First number is making weird noises like it’s connected to a fax machine. Nobody picks up the second line. .

A minute later I Google via mobile and lands a third number. That works.

+1 to Blackberry -1 to Nissan.

Showroom is tidy and nice but small. Underwhelming. I get serious concerns about Nissan's ability to service the hatchback sales unless they pull of a major coup. Micra is good looking. Good space. There's no TD, and that sucks. 3 pot engine's a concern - despite some positive reviews I have read. Apparently TDs will start in late July. The car itself looks pricey for the size and features. A version with power windows comes at a 5.85L. We drop the idea. And after reading GTO's TD here, probably the right things too:

Next Stop - Maruti

Salesman was nice - extra nice. He had this annoying habit of adding "sir" and "ma'am" multiple times. Every other sentence would start and end in a sir - and there would be some for extra measure. Here's a sample :
"Sir, swift is a bigger car than than A* sir, because its longer and wider sir".

Outside the sirs, I must say he was very nice. And of all the showrooms we visited that day - he seemed to be genuinely interested in showing the cars, describing them and actually listening to what we had to say. Good job Maruti.

A* : If looks could killl...I would be on the floor... yawning.
WagonR : I am not buying a matchbox on wheels. So there.
Zen : Smart salesman - didn't even try to sell this after A* & WagonR
Ritz : Butt-ugly - literally - but a good car nonetheless.
Swift : looking good!

Divide and conquer - we decide to drive Ritz & Swift. The sales guy is aggressively pushing A* as the car ("sir, 50 K discount sir")and recommend we TD it too.

A* was painful. My wife drove and I sat in the backseat. Big mistake. It was claustrophobic. I wanted to stop and run out of this car. Should I ask the salesman if anyone got asphyxiated in the backseat during a TD? Would he take offense?

Ritz was much better. It had quirky looks, but the engine pulled well. Interiors eased my previous claustrophobia. My wife liked it, so did I.

Swift was the best of the lot. Sweet engine. Pulled well, it held on to the road. In SkyWalker terms "The force is strong with this car". We don't like the rear seats or interiors, but then it wasn't a big criterion anyway.

We discuss money. Ritz has some good discounts. Swift has nothing.

We head to Hyundai

Compared to the Maruti salesman, Hyundai guy was obnoxious -not to us, but to other brands. Sure he was courteous and all, but he was like "tell me what other car you liked and I can tell you why our cars are better". I am glad there are only two cars - else we will be here for a long time.

i10
Looks are decent - not particularly attractive. Interiors are awesome and really a step up from all Martui cars we have seen. Build quality and plastics seemed to be much better too. We drive the 1.2 first. The car's peppy alright. My wife liked the car. The gearshift and steering are smooth and excellent in traffic. I felt the ride in the back bouncy, but we won’t need it. We try 1.1 iRDE (salesman dont even want us to - but we insist), but isn't impressed with the engine at all.

i20
Easily, the best looking car we have seen today. Step in, that impression increases. Fancy key, fancier interiors. In comparison, my ANHC interiors looks poorer. Space's good. On the road however, the 1.2 is unimpressive on this car. The USP of the car is space and features - not the engine. Not directly aligned to what we need.

To top it - our TD car was horrible. It had 40K in odo and gears won’t even slot properly. It creaked. Scary. We told the guy it’s not a good idea to keep such a car to showcase the i20. He gave some vague excuses. The Maruti salesman seems better by the minute.

Decision time
This was an easy for my wife. She said i10. In less than five hours our decision is made! I am adding this to Skywalker book of family records.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 2nd July 2010 at 08:48.
Old 2nd July 2010, 09:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Skywalker,
Nice write-up so you bought i10?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
Aww..this is great narration Skywalker. Go on. I bet you got another H, a slanted one this time in the form of i10 AT???
If it is, a great selection indeed. So many cars today in the 1.2L war, to me i10 still stands out as an all round car.
thanks guys, and yes, it is indeed i10. Its not the AT though, and i will come to it in a minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Sir,
I respect your choice of cars. However, the Indiaca Vista Quadrajet BS4 also suits your requirements and fits your budget. In fact, I found the Vita to be more spacious than the swift and the i10. Did you avoid this car because of an unsatisfactory dealership experience?
No doubt the Vista can actually beat most <10L sedans when it comes to space. But space wasn't a big criteria. And as you mentioned we never wanted to own a Tata - not yet.

But the way Tata is improving their cars it may not be far away when we own one.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Variant

Variant

For once, a decision seemed pretty easy. Sportz or Magna.

"Both have power windows and basic stuff. In addition, Sportz has bad spelling, a music system - which doesn't play USB/iPod. It has spoilers, rear wipers...."

stop. rewind.

"has a music system - which doesnt play USB/iPod...."
duh! I need an Aux cable to use my Pod? I cant just plug-in a USB stick? Jeez - are these guys living under a rock?
"One Magna please. With lots of ICE and USB connectivity"

And thats that. I ping resident TBHP ICE expert Nitrous later and he promptly responds with a good HU+speaker combinations. Thanks much Nitrous!

Last edited by SkyWalker : 2nd July 2010 at 10:21.
Old 2nd July 2010, 10:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Variant

For once, a decision seemed pretty easy. Sportz or Magna.

"Both have power windows and basic stuff. In addition, Sportz has bad spelling, a music system - which doesn't play USB/iPod. It has spoilers, rear wipers...."

stop. rewind.

"has a music system - which doesnt play USB/iPod...."
duh! I need an Aux cable to use my Pod? I cant just plug-in a USB stick? Jeez - are these guys living under a rock?
"One Magna please. With lots of ICE and USB connectivity"

And thats that. I ping resident TBHP ICE expert Nitrous later and he promptly responds with a good HU+speaker combinations. Thanks much Nitrous!
Skywalker! you did think like luke :d on this. Well i had the same dilema when i got my i10 - 2 weeks back. I picked sportz over magna!. Sportz has little but important features over magna. Certain things can never be fitted aftermarket *actually they can be* but would never look original. The OE HU isnt bad like what you are thinking. It is decent. I use an AUX cable to cnnect my itouch, works like charm.

But if you are looking for a better HU & ICE setup, magna is the choice for you. Congrats buddy.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Sportz has little but important features over magna. Certain things can never be fitted aftermarket *actually they can be* but would never look original. The OE HU isnt bad like what you are thinking. It is decent. I use an AUX cable to cnnect my itouch, works like charm.

But if you are looking for a better HU & ICE setup, magna is the choice for you. Congrats buddy.
Thanks MutantX!

Hey you misunderstood. I didn't say OE HU has bad quality. Actually it would look better on the dashboard. Its just that it doesn't have USB connectivity. That breaks our workflow because 50% of the time we use FM and other 50% we use either a pod or USB Stick.

I prefer USB connectivity to iPod rather than aux coz USB charges the pod, and i dont ever need to remove it.

Yes, other features of Sportz are good, and i agree you wont get good quality if you fit them aftermarket, but i didn't need any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Skywalker! you did think like luke :d on this.
more like Anakin. Luke's a sissy

Last edited by SkyWalker : 2nd July 2010 at 12:01.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

The i 10 Kappa is a good car, with nice beige interiors.

Unfortunately it does not hold a candle to Ritz when it comes to engine performance , fuel efficiency and rear ride quality (the i10 is actually more bumpy than the old WagonR !). The only thing going against Ritz is the querky looks, but i10 is no beauty queen either (some people call it Frog, lol). But it makes for a good practial choice - as against claustrophobic but flashy Beat or cramped A-Star.

All in all, its a sensible buy, and should keep you happy for the years to come. Congrats again!

Last edited by DCEite : 2nd July 2010 at 12:17.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:14   #27
BHPian

Congratulations on the 10 Magna. Eagerly awaiting pics, what color, what price, what deals?
I am also in hunt for finding a small car for my wife, Jeez, I can't agree with you more on the dirty hill side of second hand car sales shows in Bangalore. I mean hill side because they charge some 1.65 lacs for a 2006 800 with door rattles, dented body and 12V DC, uninsulated steering wheel as freebees. I am really not sure if it's the same story in other cities.
Old 2nd July 2010, 12:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
All in all, its a sensible buy, and should keep you happy for the years to come. Congrats again!
thanks DCEite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Unfortunately it does not hold a candle to Ritz when it comes to engine performance , fuel efficienc and rear ride quality (the i10 is actually more bumpy than the old WagonR !).
Engine performance - i didn't feel any big difference in city driving. May be if i take it to highways it would be different. This is only for city use. FE and rear ride quality were not really in my list.

Quote:
Congratulations on the 10 Magna. Eagerly awaiting pics, what color, what price, what deals?
coming to that soon...

Quote:
I am also in hunt for finding a small car for my wife, Jeez, I can't agree with you more on the dirty hill side of second hand car sales shows in Bangalore. I mean hill side because they charge some 1.65 lacs for a 2006 800 with door rattles, dented body and 12V DC, uninsulated steering wheel as freebees. I am really not sure if it's the same story in other cities.
been there, seen that. And i would completely keep away form it.
Old 2nd July 2010, 14:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Ron and yet another new car. For a second i thought you got a Jazz, thanks to the non Slanted H in the thread subject.
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Some Snaps

I have some more narrations to go... but before that - some snaps of the beauty.

The Other 'H' Chronicles-dsc_8649.jpg

The Other 'H' Chronicles-dsc_8650.jpg
Big brother ANHC watching over the baby step-bro
Attached Thumbnails
The Other 'H' Chronicles-dsc_8656.jpg  

Last edited by SkyWalker : 2nd July 2010 at 17:13.

Most Viewed