Team-BHP - The Other 'H' Chronicles
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   The Other 'H' Chronicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/84713-other-h-chronicles.html)

The Beginning....

All good things must come to an end.

We want to replace our 2002 Palio. Nothing wrong with it - It was a great car, still is. But it is eight years old and sooner or later it would cross the breakpoint of stretching ownership and peace of mind. I want this car to go while I still have fond memories of it. My wife's still a little upset about it - its our first car, the one we brought after marriage. She is nostalgic about it. I don't like to get attached to objects - especially the ones which deprecates in value. My wife would be happy to point out our ANHC is an exception, but she's wrong. Or is she? :D

And therein starts our replacement saga. Something that will end with a new car in our parking lot on 26 Jun 2010.

The Other 'H' Chronicles-palio-01.jpgThe Goodbye car

Used Cars

First, is an inspiration from GTO. This thread made a lot of sense:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-car-less.html

I am charged up, tell my wife about it and a family discussion starts (more on that later). My wife isn't convinced, but she's ready to humor me and play along. We decided on 3 possible targets
We tell our families and also friends. They aren't liking it.
"Used car, whats wrong with you?"
"Do you need money?" :p

Meanwhile the hunt is on.

Bangalore is a bad market for used cars. In 6 months of looking I hardly found a car which i really like. It’s a jungle out there and I don't have the patience. I make an effort to see a few, but the prices are exorbitant. At these rates, I would any day buy newer models. Is here a silver lining I am missing? Meanwhile, BHP-ian Jayant (JLN) who is a partner in crime is more dedicated and he nets a good 07 Corolla AT at a great price.

I am still window shopping.

"I really like the the smell of a new car" my wife casually tells me one day. "and we already have a sedan, consider how easy it is if we get a hatch which we use as a city runabout".

"And i can take a hint" i think to myself.

bye bye used cars.

well Ron, thats a good decision you have taken to not get into used cars. I would also suggest you the same.

I did the same thing for a day before i did decide on the ANHC, but the used car market is really bad and exorbitant as you have rightly mentioned. I also didnt like the attitude of the guys selling it.

Always go for the new one, peace of mind & the new car spells "REALLY GOOD"

The Search for the City Slicker

So here're the criterion
a. we want the moon
b. and we will pay 5L for it. :D

Ok, seriously this time:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyWalker (Post 1962136)
The Search for the City Slicker

So here're the criterion
a. we want the moon
b. and we will pay 5L for it. :D

Ok, seriously this time:
  • Must be a hatch, should easy to drive and park in this congested metro.
  • Preferably comes with a budget of 5-6L
  • Should be very peppy, with A/C on
  • Dont care much about rear seat space and comfort. Ditto for boot space

This might help you, check out

The-new-Mitsubishi-Evo-X-First-Drive,Buy New Cars, Used Cars, Auto News and Reviews India - Zigwheels.com

Hmmm, seemingly simple requirements. Peppy airconditioned hatch for INR 5.0 lacs So, whats coming? Let me take a guess:
i10?? Most prolly.
Punto, naah not peppy enough.
Swift? Could be

Within 5 Lakh, i would suggest 2 cars. Maruti Swift and Beat LT . Beat is a very pep car as you would want it. Its smooth and its easy handling makes it a good city car as well. Regarding Swift, this was the car of the year 5 years ago!!! So you dont need to think twice while making a choice for Swift. But if you ask me, i would still stay with Beat for the overall package. I am particularly in fond of Beat's looks

Quote:

Originally Posted by nandans2005 (Post 1962116)
I did the same thing for a day before i did decide on the ANHC, but the used car market is really bad and exorbitant as you have rightly mentioned. I also didnt like the attitude of the guys selling it.

Agree! I went with the CarWale numbers, and found the prices to be ridiculously high.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenalin (Post 1962140)

An Evo? You are confusing my poor 5 L with 50L :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by n.devdath (Post 1962201)
Hmmm, seemingly simple requirements. Peppy airconditioned hatch for INR 5.0 lacs So, whats coming? Let me take a guess:
i10?? Most prolly.
Punto, naah not peppy enough.
Swift? Could be

impressive :)

@ Sky walker: It has to be the Hyundai i20 or i10 auto (Magna or Sportz). Congratulations for the car, Nice purchase. Post some pics, a detailed review and the on-road price please.

Enjoy, Drive Safe :).

The title "H" chronicle points to either a i10/i20 or Jazz.

Do let the story unfold

Good going my friend. I think it could be i10 automatic.

The Short Listing

Shorting listing is a family game which can get out of hand if not done properly. It happens at periodic intervals around any decisions (like where to go on vacation) It needs sharp wits to win an argument and a certain physical agility (like ducking missiles if you actually won an argument). There are no conclusive aims to do this - other than one-upping each other and proving a point.

When the dust settled, we had this, apart from bruised egos:

Immediate Rejections
Ford FIGO : I hate American cars and even a well priced FIGO is not going to change that.
Chevy Beat : I hate............. Beat ...... stupid:
Honda Jazz : 8L for a 1.2 liter engine? Ha!
Skoda Fabia : I am not touching this brand. I won’t buy it if Fabia comes at half the price. (OK, I am exaggerating - make that 1/4th of the price. :D)
VW : "Overpriced car with an underpowered 3 pot engine and dealers with attitude? Yeah, right!"

Top Contenders

PS: It should be obvious that i am politically incorrect towards cars. Please dont be offended. If it helps you can say some really nasty things about my choice.

Since there are no issues with the Palio, why would you want to replace it ? At 8 years, a modern car is in its prime and is easily good for another 2years or more. And with Tata-Fiat alliance, spares should not be that much of an issue IMO.

What's with the "H" chronicles ? Slanted H meaning i10 ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 1962288)
Since there are no issues with the Palio, why would you want to replace it ? At 8 years, a modern car is in its prime and is easily good for another 2years or more.

SB, i already explained the reasons:

"Nothing wrong with it - It was a great car, still is. But it is eight years old and sooner or later it would cross the breakpoint of stretching ownership and peace of mind. I want this car to go while I still have fond memories of it."

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 1962288)
What's with the "H" chronicles ? Slanted H meaning i10 ?

Somehow " very peppy with the A/C on" and i10 don't get along. So he has either compromised here or its not an i10. :confused: