Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 09:06   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
first FE reading for my car comes to 10.60 - normal petrol used,city driving with minimal use of ac. i re-fueled my car while the yellow light for fuel refilling was on, any suggestions on this when should i exactly go for fuel reload?
Use full tank to full tank method for checking FE.
ie. Fill full tank upto the auto cut-off and and reset your trip meter.
Do the same thing during your next fueling and note the trip reading along with the quantity of fuel used.
Divide the trip distance with the quantity of fuel to get FE.
You need not wait upto the yellow indication for the next fueling.
When the distance you consider is more, the error in FE calculation will be less.
10.6 is very less - may be because it is a new car and it may take some time for you to adjust to it.
So don't worry - generally FE increases as you drive more.
FE for my Beat is hovering around 15kmpl with normal petrol for 50-50 highway-city usage. So for your 100% city usage, you should get ~13-14kmpl.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Use full tank to full tank method for checking FE.
ie. Fill full tank upto the auto cut-off and and reset your trip meter.
Do the same thing during your next fueling and note the trip reading along with the quantity of fuel used.
Divide the trip distance with the quantity of fuel to get FE.
You need not wait upto the yellow indication for the next fueling.
When the distance you consider is more, the error in FE calculation will be less.
10.6 is very less - may be because it is a new car and it may take some time for you to adjust to it.
So don't worry - generally FE increases as you drive more.
FE for my Beat is hovering around 15kmpl with normal petrol for 50-50 highway-city usage. So for your 100% city usage, you should get ~13-14kmpl.
FE for my Beat is hovering around 15kmpl with normal petrol for 50-50 highway-city usage. So for your 100% city usage, you should get ~13-14kmpl.[/quote]

Its a fact that most of the Beat owners are getting around 10-13kmpl here. I've cross checked with the other owners at the CCPO introduction meet and none of them claimed more than 13 But the service person was stating that there were guys getting 15 but that time we were almost 8 beat owners and none of them claimed beyond 13 and most of them are having cars previously and were getting a better figures from their previous cars. So there's no question of driving style. I was consistently getting 10-12 with 50% AC with City and Highway drives.

Salbin, one doubt, if we fill the tank upto the auto cut off level and refilling before the low fuel warning the readings can be varied as its not reached the previous fuel level from where we've set the trip to zero. So I think we should reset the trip at the time of low fuel warning starts and refill upto auto cut off level and wait for the next low fuel warning to calculate the kms completed. 3-4 times will be enough to give an average FE with all driving conditions.

If you are getting 15Kpl with 50-50 city-highway then for city drive will be much lower than 14 as you stated as u need to change the gears frequently in low gears results less fuel economy.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:51   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Its a fact that most of the Beat owners are getting around 10-13kmpl here. I've cross checked with the other owners at the CCPO introduction meet and none of them claimed more than 13 But the service person was stating that there were guys getting 15 but that time we were almost 8 beat owners and none of them claimed beyond 13 and most of them are having cars previously and were getting a better figures from their previous cars. So there's no question of driving style. I was consistently getting 10-12 with 50% AC with City and Highway drives.
If you are getting 15Kpl with 50-50 city-highway then for city drive will be much lower than 14 as you stated as u need to change the gears frequently in low gears results less fuel economy.
Yes.. Driving style plays a major role in FE.
Also, when gear changes are more, FE will drop.
So, IMHO these may be the reason for lower FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Salbin, one doubt, if we fill the tank upto the auto cut off level and refilling before the low fuel warning the readings can be varied as its not reached the previous fuel level from where we've set the trip to zero. So I think we should reset the trip at the time of low fuel warning starts and refill upto auto cut off level and wait for the next low fuel warning to calculate the kms completed. 3-4 times will be enough to give an average FE with all driving conditions.
I think you did not get what I intended to convey.
By "auto cut-off", I was refering to the auto stop option available in the petrol dispensing equipment when the tank is full.(most of the fuel stations are having this feature)
In this case we are considering only the upper level - ie. auto cut-off level.
We are resetting the trip at the first full tank filling. Then assume you are driving XXX kms. At this point you are again filling petrol upto the same auto cut-off level and the quantity of fuel filled is YY litre. That means, for travelling XXX kms, you have consumed YY litre fuel. So the FE will be XXX/YY kmpl. You don't need to consider the lower level or low fuel warning level in this method. This can be continued for few times to get muh more accurate readings.
Since these warnings in the fuel gauge are triggered based on the float switch/sensor, we will not get accurate level indication. The level will be fluctuating due to the wavy movement of the fuel surface when the vehicle is moving/ accelerating/ braking/ driving in slope etc.
To make it simpler and to have a close monitoring of FE, always do full tank fueling upto the auto cut-off, note down the fuel quantity & the previous trip reading and then reset the trip meter. I do like this every time.
The 15kmpl I have mentioned is the average of 11 readings taken over a distance of 3700kms. Here is the detail:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...review-79.html
Old 13th July 2010, 14:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Yes.. Driving style plays a major role in FE.
Also, when gear changes are more, FE will drop.
So, IMHO these may be the reason for lower FE.

I think you did not get what I intended to convey.
By "auto cut-off", I was refering to the auto stop option available in the petrol dispensing equipment when the tank is full.(most of the fuel stations are having this feature)
In this case we are considering only the upper level - ie. auto cut-off level.
We are resetting the trip at the first full tank filling. Then assume you are driving XXX kms. At this point you are again filling petrol upto the same auto cut-off level and the quantity of fuel filled is YY litre. That means, for travelling XXX kms, you have consumed YY litre fuel. So the FE will be XXX/YY kmpl. You don't need to consider the lower level or low fuel warning level in this method. This can be continued for few times to get muh more accurate readings.
Since these warnings in the fuel gauge are triggered based on the float switch/sensor, we will not get accurate level indication. The level will be fluctuating due to the wavy movement of the fuel surface when the vehicle is moving/ accelerating/ braking/ driving in slope etc.
To make it simpler and to have a close monitoring of FE, always do full tank fueling upto the auto cut-off, note down the fuel quantity & the previous trip reading and then reset the trip meter. I do like this every time.
The 15kmpl I have mentioned is the average of 11 readings taken over a distance of 3700kms. Here is the detail:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...review-79.html
Thanks Salbin, Yes fuel guage level is just an indicator but not an accurate one. I had a dump belief that the lower level will show a contant level of fuel as soon as the float reaches a particular level. But you explained it very clearly and makes some sense. I never used to force to fill after auto cut off. Next time I will check with your tip.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:28   #50
BHPian

Thanks for your tip salbin, i agree that car would give low FE maybe during the first month of driving, same was the case with my Alto also i got 13 kmpl FE on my first drive in Alto.

One query: If i use the trip meter to record FE, would my original odometer stop recroding kms on it?

I have changed my way of driving with Beat. while i was newbie driving Alto i had a bad habit of revving engine hard on low gear while overtaking and at times i used to race the car on a small patch of the road and hit the break again nearing traffic. I have changed these habits now with BEAT and i am trying to monitor it's effect on the FE

I keep a constant eye on the rev meter and change gears accordingly. In fact if you drive at a constant speed between 40 - 60 in 3rd-4th and 5th gear you feel the car gliding well on the road so i try not to drive much in the 2nd gear unless i am in very heavy traffic.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
One query: If i use the trip meter to record FE, would my original odometer stop recroding kms on it?
- Never.
Odo will never stop as long as the cable and its drive pinion are in good condition.

In Beat, there are 2 trip meters - TripA & TripB.
Generally I use TripB for FE tracking and TripA for other trip distance tracking to avoid confusion.

Quote:
I have changed my way of driving with Beat.
- Rev hard only when required to get max FE.
- Otherwise try to drive in the 1500-2500 rpm range, and upto 3000rpm in the 5th gear.
- Quick acceleration and then sudden braking reduces FE.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:38   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Rev hard only when required to get max FE.
I guess you meant "Rev hard only when you require maximum acceleration".
Old 15th July 2010, 15:49   #53
BHPian

ICE'd my Beat today with new speakers

Front Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series 4" component - EL 4.1 - Rs. 4500/- (with tweeters)
Rear Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series 4" coax - EL 42 - Rs. 3000/-

Got it fitted from Poona Motors, alstonlobo had suggested to go for Boston Playsmart SI403 and Polk Audio DB641 i could not procure them was searching for them since last week, upped my budget slightly and went for Illusion.

Huge improvement in sound clarity now, Bass is not thumping, however delivers the punch. Rear speaker sound does not distort on high volume.

Posting pics later.
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:40   #54
BHPian

heading towards a better FE this time on my beat, filled up regular petrol from the HP dealer at koregaon park, car driving is getting smoother by the day i'm lovin it!
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
ICE'd my Beat today with new speakers

Front Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series 4" component - EL 4.1 - Rs. 4500/- (with tweeters)
Rear Speakers - Illusion Audio Electra Series 4" coax - EL 42 - Rs. 3000/-

Got it fitted from Poona Motors, alstonlobo had suggested to go for Boston Playsmart SI403 and Polk Audio DB641 i could not procure them was searching for them since last week, upped my budget slightly and went for Illusion.

Huge improvement in sound clarity now, Bass is not thumping, however delivers the punch. Rear speaker sound does not distort on high volume.

Posting pics later.
Hey dude, congrats I like this

Awaiting the pics.
Old 23rd July 2010, 07:06   #56
BHPian

@KreativeGeek: Wonderful Review. I appreciate that Transformers Theme Video feature. I infact test drove the Beat for the first time yesterday.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:36   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
@KreativeGeek: Wonderful Review. I appreciate that Transformers Theme Video feature. I infact test drove the Beat for the first time yesterday.
Thanks for your feedback tirthankar, are you planning to go for beat?
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:42   #58
BHPian

Encountered a strange problem yesterday, was driving in rainy condition back home from office in the night, car started giving out some kinda weird noise from the left side of the front hood, felt like a metal piece dragging on the road and making a cranking sound, stopped first to look at the tyres if something was wrong there, but they were alright.

Then again the same noise started as i began driving again, this time it was louder i got tensed, and stopped again to see the car bonnet was not closed properly. Magarpatta security guys check the car bonnet also, and i ask them every time to drop the bonnet door and not press it. did not notice it was not closed properly

I closed the bonnet properly drove again on a strech still the noise persisted, but the moment i took the turn from mundhwa village road towards koregaon park road i drove at a higher speed and the nose faded away.

Any idea's why that noise came up, only thought that came to my mind was that possibly the bonnet door was open and rain water could have sprayed on the engine which heats up on driving, or could there be any other reason, since i drove the car again today morning also but no problem in driving or handling of car. It's running normally
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback tirthankar, are you planning to go for beat?
KreativeGeek, he has already got the Figo :d check out his Figotitude blog.
Old 23rd July 2010, 15:45   #60
BHPian

Strange noise from the hood !

Encountered a strange problem yesterday, was driving in rainy condition back home from office in the night, car started giving out some kinda weird noise from the left side of the front hood, felt like a metal piece dragging on the road and making a cranking sound, stopped first to look at the tyres if something was wrong there, but they were alright.

Then again the same noise started as i began driving again, this time it was louder i got tensed, and stopped again to see the car bonnet was not closed properly. Magarpatta security guys check the car bonnet also, and i ask them every time to drop the bonnet door and not press it. did not notice it was not closed properly

I closed the bonnet properly drove again on a strech still the noise persisted, but the moment i took the turn from mundhwa village road towards koregaon park road i drove at a higher speed and the nose faded away.

Any idea's why that noise came up, only thought that came to my mind was that possibly the bonnet door was open and rain water could have sprayed on the engine which heats up on driving, or could there be any other reason, since i drove the car again today morning also but no problem in driving or handling of car. It's running normally

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks