Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 14:20   #211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
tuning, people here are teaching "Magneti marelli" how to tune an engine.... wow... SWIFT diesel does not have a magneti marelli ECU, punto has....and all FIAT cars... both petrol & diesel...

maruti suzuki is desperately trying to get magneti marelli to sign contract to get marelli's ECU's in their diesels...
My Swift Diesel of 2008 vintage has a Magnetti Marelli ECU. Please check the Swift D's engine bay for the ECU!
Old 20th July 2010, 14:26   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

My thoughts are in bold and italic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post

Peace please. Lets stick to Punto VGT test drive discussion and lets not bash any other car. Every car has its pros and cons.

I second this like many others -- lets please stick to Punto VGT discussion and leave other cars from the scope.

I am not sure if any one of fellow GP owner felt it or not but I do feel that GP should have another gear i.e., 6th gear for over drive. Many times I unconsciously (not sleeping ) try to engage in 6th gear at speeds over 90 KMPH.

Same feeling for a Swift D as well. I would have loved another gear for this car -- may be characteristics of the same engine?!!

I have also mentioned this (plastic issue) to FIAT CEO and he agreed that it needs improvement and I am hopeful that they are working on it.

Did you get to speak directly to the CEO? If so thats great! Any more discussion points you guys had [just curious] ?

In my opinion FIAT can not give high quality plastics to the current GP owners at the same price because then the earlier GP owners will feel cheated. May be they will bring a sports version with high quality plastics. Let us give them some benefit of doubt.

If they have made a statement like that, its wrong ! In this case we should never have any limited editions or face lifts or even refreshed models after some time of the launch of any models! The customers of the previous gen cars will feel cheated -- dont think this is a valid reason.

I believe the reason is, if they give better plastics, they will not be able to keep the pricing withing check -- I might be wrong!
Old 20th July 2010, 14:27   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Does Fiat call Punto VGT the Fastest? I thought they claim its the most powerful D Hatch. This is just because 90HP the max on Diesels available right now.

To those who drove the VGT,

- Is there still a lag before the power really comes out
>> Yes, there is Turbo Lag below 2000 RPM, after that, the engine comes into it's own.
- Apart from the silver handles and the 90HP badge is the black roof standard on all colours?
>> I didnt see the Roof Blackened for the TD Car, pics are there in my earlier post.
- Is there anything else available/missing on the 90HP?
>> AFAIK, it is exactly the same as the FGT EP Version, apart from the exterior (90 HP) Badging, Interior (Red Stitching on the Seats).
Find my Comments Inline.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:28   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaymugur View Post
then why this sir... why is maruti suzuki still trying this to date..

Magneti Marelli, Suzuki Motor Corporation, Japan and Maruti Suzuki India enter into a joint venture

if there is an apt representation of this joke " World famous in India" then it has to be "swift diesel, the best tuned engine."..with their 15% +ve error in speedo & odo meters.. indian public has to believe what they see with their eyes....don't they..
Sure, Have been driving one since 28 thousand kilometers and the turbo kick is unmached by 'any other' version of the 1.3 diesel engine + the fantastic mileage + superb handling. Its the Ecu callibration that matters and not the company by which the ECU is made.

Apt joke would be to pay 35 to 40 grand extra for a Punto 90 bhp which apparently being the 'most powerful' hatch in India, where the power does not transmit into speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And they always escape the question why Ritz is slower?
Ritz is what .4 seconds slower than the Swift in the 0 to 100 dash, aren't you going to take the slightly heavier weight into consideration ? The taller stance which automatically translates to weaker aerodynamics than the swift into consideration ? I missed your question, otherwise there is nothing to run away or hide from it

Last edited by humyum : 20th July 2010 at 14:31.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:45   #215
BHPian

I am confused here.
1. What thread is this?

2. With 110bhp mill under its hood, the Getz-D is present on indian roads. So, why is Fiat making such claims? is it bcz Getz is out of production?

3. I would still wait for a review of a 90HP car post 5000kms on the ODO. For one thing I am sure that the performance figures will be different. Someone please explain this phenomena(is there a software lock on the ECU?)

4. Long long time ago, we had a Amby in the family with a Matador engine. I learnt to drive in that and it was a fun vehicle with all the torque. But it never occured to me to see why the Amby went faster than the stock Matador, even though they had the same engine..

I think I should be taking these talks somewhere else. I guess we already have quite a few threads discussing the MJD/Quadrajet/multijet/myjet etc etc. .Folks if we have to say anything on any other car,lets do it in the appropriate thread.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:01   #216
BHPian

@swiftnfurious

I didn't speak to the CEO but I had sent him an email and got his reply.

If you are interested then I can forward it to you. Please PM me your email id.

-PK
Old 20th July 2010, 15:17   #217
BHPian

Finally saw a decent ad for the Fiat Punto 90hp in the Times of India today, and also a very short TV commercial being aired. Fiat should market their products better. A better TV commercial and print ads which explain the USP's of the Punto would yield much better results.

When I told my uncle living in Kerala that we bought a Fiat Punto, his first reaction was that he has never heard of it. Most people living in tier 2 and tier 3 cities don't know these cars. Petrol heads and well informed customers will always be aware of these cars but they can't get volumes out of it. They really need to increase the public exposure these cars get. I'm not talking about the 90hp in particular but Fiat cars in general.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:28   #218
Senior - BHPian

Punto VGT 90 HP Price

Punto 90HP Prices I got to know from Concorde, Cochin

Ex. Showroom: 686873
Ins. Pvt. : 19394
Reg. Tax: 41320
Reg. Charges: 3000
OTR: 750587
Old 20th July 2010, 15:41   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Punto 90HP Prices I got to know from Concorde, Cochin

Ex. Showroom: 686873
Ins. Pvt. : 19394
Reg. Tax: 41320
Reg. Charges: 3000
OTR: 750587
Thanks, the pricing was not available when I went to Concorde last Saturday. The current FGT EP is available at 7.14L OTR (before discounts), so that's a 36K jump in OTR price. Considering the current discounts on FGT EP, the difference would be ~54K.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:46   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Thanks, the pricing was not available when I went to Concorde last Saturday. The current FGT EP is available at 7.14L OTR (before discounts), so that's a 36K jump in OTR price. Considering the current discounts on FGT EP, the difference would be ~54K.
I do not know whether this is still published or not. (Got it from some internal sources )

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
When I told my uncle living in Kerala that we bought a Fiat Punto, his first reaction was that he has never heard of it. Most people living in tier 2 and tier 3 cities don't know these cars. Petrol heads and well informed customers will always be aware of these cars but they can't get volumes out of it. They really need to increase the public exposure these cars get. I'm not talking about the 90hp in particular but Fiat cars in general.
That's an advantage to the owners right, it brings out that exclusivity!! In our village, among the thousands of Marutis and Hyundais, there are only two Puntos that I know of, one being ours!

Last edited by clevermax : 20th July 2010 at 15:48.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:48   #221
BHPian

Finally, FIAT has started the promotions for the Grande Punto 90 HP in the Print Media & Television

But surprisingly, they have done away / there is no mention of the the Catchy Tagline of "No Wonder you are behind me...I am the most powerful Diesel Hatchback" Why ? i am confused, it could have garnered a fair amount of attention from the General Public.

There was a Half page advertisement in the TOI Mumbai Edition, the pic is attached for your eyes, sorry for the pic quality, it was taken from my phone camera.
Attached Thumbnails
First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-20072010001.jpg  

Old 20th July 2010, 15:54   #222
BHPian

am i the only one who thinks that they have priced it a bit too much?
they are charging 34k extra (prices on FIAT site. discounts on FGT will make it extra) on the FGT version!! other than the VGT, red stitches inside and a 90 bhp sticker outside what all are they offering with this car?
my laura 2.0 is about 25k more expensive than the 1.9 variant. adding another 100 cc costs less than changing the turbo?!?!?

wonder how will they price the punto sport as and when it comes. maybe 8 lacs ex-showroom. and brand it a life style vehicle.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 20th July 2010 at 15:55.
Old 20th July 2010, 15:56   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
@swiftnfurious

I didn't speak to the CEO but I had sent him an email and got his reply.

If you are interested then I can forward it to you. Please PM me your email id.

-PK
Thanx Buddy! I have sent you a PM.

But dont you think if you post it in this forum, everyone could read and understand what the CEO thinks about all the questions mentioned in the mail? Only if you prefer to post it !
Old 20th July 2010, 16:03   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Ritz is what .4 seconds slower than the Swift in the 0 to 100 dash, aren't you going to take the slightly heavier weight into consideration ?

Facts:
Swift Kerb Weight
LDi 1065
VDi 1075

Punto Kerb Weight (Fiat did not mention it variant wise)
MJD 1190 (76BHP)

Punto MJD weighs
125 KG more over Swift LDi
115 KG more over Swift VDi

Where as Ritz DDis 35 KG over Swift.

Lets talk bout Punto 90HP. Advt. on TOI says its 93BHP so shouldn't they call it Punto 93HP .
Old 20th July 2010, 16:45   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
That's an advantage to the owners right, it brings out that exclusivity!! In our village, among the thousands of Marutis and Hyundais, there are only two Puntos that I know of, one being ours!
That's very true.

Owning and driving around in a car that's far less common indeed gives us a nice feeling of exclusivity, especially when the car is the best looking hatchback* in the country.

* As per the majority votes in a thread in Team-BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post

Lets talk bout Punto 90HP. Advt. on TOI says its 93BHP so shouldn't they call it Punto 93HP .
It's actually 93PS (90 BHP)

Most Viewed