Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 10:14   #346
Senior - BHPian

Nice review amartya. The 90Hp should be a wonderful car on the highway with this extra power. Is the boom at higher speeds still present?

I feel they should have given the 90Hp the Linea's two tone beige black dashboard. The dull grey mades it look really bland.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:31   #347
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Anatamical review there, Amartya

You should have checked the fuel consumption also for the 32.6 km trip..or actually you did and forgot to mention ?

@ fiat_tarun, a friend of mine who owns a Linea Emo has commented yesterday after sitting in my car, that the interiors of Punto is less distracting and far easy to maintain, especially for those who also have villains at playschool/LKG/UKG

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th August 2010 at 10:40.
Old 7th August 2010, 12:19   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Nice review amartya. The 90Hp should be a wonderful car on the highway with this extra power. Is the boom at higher speeds still present?
The maximum speed I reached was 120kmph, and it was for a very short stretch. To be honest, I didn't notice a boom. It might however, be more prominent at speeds higher than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Wow! Anatamical review there, Amartya

You should have checked the fuel consumption also for the 32.6 km trip..or actually you did and forgot to mention ?

@ fiat_tarun, a friend of mine who owns a Linea Emo has commented yesterday after sitting in my car, that the interiors of Punto is less distracting and far easy to maintain, especially for those who also have villains at playschool/LKG/UKG
Yes I did, the MID showed 17.2.

I like the Punto's black interior trim as far as the colour combination is concerned. I personally am not a fan of beige interior trim.
Old 7th August 2010, 13:45   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a nice detailed review there.

OT: By the way there is a new ad aired on the last day of the third test match between India and Srilanka for the Punto. For the first time, the blue n me, multijet is all mentioned in the ad. A good move.
Old 7th August 2010, 14:26   #350
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

OT: By the way there is a new ad aired on the last day of the third test match between India and Srilanka for the Punto. For the first time, the blue n me, multijet is all mentioned in the ad. A good move.
The ad is really nice. Something different.
Old 7th August 2010, 14:46   #351
BHPian

@Amartya, Nice Crisp review buddy

Your observations are very similar to mine which i have also reported in my review of 90 HP in the starting of the thread, in terms of performance & other aspects of the Car . Did you also tried for the 0-100 timings ?

Agreed, it is worth every penny over the FGT Version, as the Mid range & Top End Performance of this Multijet VGT Engine is awesome to say the least.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 7th August 2010 at 14:48.
Old 7th August 2010, 15:59   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post

Observation 5: I thought that the power steering felt exactly the same. People reported more assistance at lower speeds, but I couldn't discern the change despite keeping an eye out for it.
You are absolutely right when you says that its feels like the FGT at high speeds and nearly the same at lower ones. The difference is evident when one tries to roll the steering from one end to the other in the stationary 90 hp Punto. There is a noticeable improvement. Now, I don't think they have done anything radically different here, because the end result isn't radical in the first place. Hence the obvious question...can the same changes be made to the steering of the existing 75 bhp ?

Quote:
The gearshift quality was similar to the FGT as per my driving experience. To answer your question, yes, the gearbox too becomes easier to use after running in. I have personally experienced that improvement.

There is nothing much one can do to improve the gearshift quality other than adjusting the clutch, do talk to your service advisor and ask him to check if the clutch play is set correctly or not.
Thanks for responding to my original query. From your response, I understand that the gear shift in my Punto is probably below par (at least for the moment). I say so because I am very sure that I found the shifts to be much smoother on the 90 hp (relatively virgin ~ 550 kms on the ODO) which I drove for TD and you've found them to be nearly the same as you have in your 75 hp Punto (i.e. well run in). Considering, mine isn't fully run in yet, I guess I'll do another 1-2 K kms and if the situation doesn't seem to improve, I'll probably drop by to say 'hello' to the service advisor !

Last edited by better4worse : 7th August 2010 at 16:01.
Old 7th August 2010, 22:58   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

Thanks.

You are right about the advertisement, they need to roll out some more promotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
@Amartya, Nice Crisp review buddy
Your observations are very similar to mine which i have also reported in my review of 90 HP in the starting of the thread, in terms of performance & other aspects of the Car . Did you also tried for the 0-100 timings ?
Thanks, but I didn't try the 0-100 timing because I do not believe in it at all in terms of practicality. Hence the 80-120 test, and the 30 -70 run (on the flyover). The car felt great on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
I say so because I am very sure that I found the shifts to be much smoother on the 90 hp (relatively virgin ~ 550 kms on the ODO) which I drove for TD and you've found them to be nearly the same as you have in your 75 hp Punto (i.e. well run in). Considering, mine isn't fully run in yet, I guess I'll do another 1-2 K kms and if the situation doesn't seem to improve, I'll probably drop by to say 'hello' to the service advisor !
Yes, that'll be a prudent thing to do. Do take a spin in the FGT test drive car the next time you are at the dealership, that can serve as an indicator too.
Old 7th August 2010, 23:44   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I didn't try the 0-100 timing because I do not believe in it at all in terms of practicality. Hence the 80-120 test, and the 30 -70 run (on the flyover). The car felt great on both.
Agreed, the 0-100 timings are not practical in day to day City Driving Conditions. I asked specifically for this, as some of the Enthusiasts here may be interested in knowing it, there are many contradictory reports on the same & different magazines have quoted different timings. BTW, during my TD, i calculated a 0-100 timing of 13.9 seconds through the Stop Watch of my Phone.

I know that is not a advisable method for calculating the 0-100 timings, but i experienced that the timing which i got was very near to BS Motoring review
Old 9th August 2010, 17:30   #355
BHPian

Hi Amartya, Thanks for the review. Were you happy with the way the VGT accelerated from stand still ? or did it disappoint you considering the figures on paper ?
Old 9th August 2010, 18:02   #356
BHPian

Nice review Amartya..
I am also no fan of 0-100 timings and one more thing to notice here is the impression about 90HP Punto is becoming more and more positive with the thread growing. May be it has something to do with the more run-in cars that people get to TD now.
Old 10th August 2010, 08:29   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Congratulations Sachin! Btw, you currently own a Fiat Linea rt?
(Ref : Your Signature)

Regards
Amith
Thats Correct Amith. And I am so fascinated by my Linea that I have now again decided to go for Fiat car, so Punto. Both the cars are strongly built, Lovely handling and best in class fuel economy. The only hinderence was Tata Service , which I think I have learned to live with .
Old 10th August 2010, 08:35   #358
BHPian

Guys Please let me know if anyone of punto owners here have gone for Micheline or any other tyre after the delivery ?

How much it costed you ?
Is there any considerable change in the road noise ?

I may get the delivery of the car on Thursday and might want to drive straight to a tyre shop for tyre replacement after the temple
Old 11th August 2010, 16:32   #359
Senior - BHPian

My Punto will be ready for delivery tomorrow after the dealer gets the temp registration formalities done. I will take delivery tomorrow only if the dealer can get everything done by 3 or 4pm. Otherwise, in keeping with T-BHP advice of accepting delivery in broad daylight, I will be accepting delivery only on Friday morning.
Old 11th August 2010, 21:02   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinWizard View Post
Hi Amartya, Thanks for the review. Were you happy with the way the VGT accelerated from stand still ? or did it disappoint you considering the figures on paper ?
Sorry for delayed response.

It didn't disappoint me, I am quite used to the FGT version, and I drove the Linea right after. The VGT Punto felt just as fast as the Linea. Like I said before, if one can stretch the budget, this is the Punto to go for.

Most Viewed