Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 18:19   #16
Senior - BHPian

So Fiat has changed the gear ratios, sid mentioned that the 2nd gear was ridiculously tall ?
Old 14th July 2010, 18:20   #17
BHPian

This didn't get just the Linea engine it also got the white dials of the speedo/tacho instrumentation. Probably both integrate well.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

totally disappointing stuff. car looks gorgeous from outside! Black roof also looks nice. But interior plastic quality "simply pathetic". Huge panel gaps are such a big let off. FIAT should learn from Hyundai for interior FIT and FINISH.

No way this is going to be a competitor to i20 FIAT you lost it!
Old 14th July 2010, 18:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Buying and owning:

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05178.jpg

At the time of writing, the final prices were not announced but expect the punto 90 HP to command a premium, how much is anyone's guess. It can vary from marginal to high, but hope for god's sake it is marginal.

Even after this, the car will easily cost Rs. 7,50,000 or maybe upwards OTR Delhi and the price is still decent and competitive. But while the car impresses with the level of standard equipment, it fails to impress in overall feel and polished finesse that its rivals can boast of and the impression lies that I have expected much more after paying that hefty amount.

Fiat is hell bent on improving ownership experience and throws in goodies like a 50 month warranty plus a 50 month roadside assistance along with 3 free services (3,000 km, 15,000 km and 30,000 km) plus a 15,000 km subsequent service interval but that's not the case.

The case still lies in improving the overall quality of service and dealer attitude towards the customer, majority of whom are still a mix of satisfied or a dissatisfied lot depending upon the location and dealer.
Availability of spare parts still is an issue and customers have to run from pillar to post, scratching their heads and bursting their vocal cords on getting one.

The tie up and network sharing with tata has helped matters, but to certain extent, it still has a ladder to climb before thy can reach the level of Suzuki and Hyundai in terms of customer satisfaction.

Besides, another area that requires huge improvement is on the quality control and improving vendor base, which is still below par. Many issues are overlooked and ultimately, its he customer who spots them and therein the image lies in tatters.

Servicing a punto costs on par with the competitors and heavy localization has ensured that the running repair parts prices don't burn a major hole in your pocket, a good thing.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Sid, i have been waiting anxiously for this. Even i am disappointed to know that the 90bhp is nothing more than a more refined punto. sad.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Summing up:

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05179.jpg

I went with high expectations before driving this car but its the overall finesse that the product lacks has let me down. Make no mistake, it is a well deserved upgrade for hard core fiat fans but those looking for a quantum leap improvement will be disappointed.

The engine, first-huge improvements on paper but that does not equate to that on the road. Marginal improvement in drive ability and refinement is noticeable, but the outright acceleration will leave you disappointed. Same goes fo gearbox with absurd ratios.

The interior, again, design wise gorgeous but quality wise, atrocious is the word that I will stick to. Don't count me as a "brand loyal" person and if it is negative, its negative. See the car physically and you will get a bigger picture.

Price to features to specifications ratio-on paper, again perfect concept but its execution again remains a huge disappointment. And then you have that hurdle-competition in the small car segment-there are better and cheaper alternatives available, not 1, but 7 of them. So, what really is this car's USP?

Will this car succeed? Only time will tell and lets wait till the general public gets hand on it and gives feedback.

Until then, it was a big chance laid waste.
Its a more complete punto, yes, from fiat's and a Fiat fan's standards.

But, from the standard's of market and cut throat competition, its an opportunity gone lost.

Last edited by sidindica : 14th July 2010 at 18:34.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

From what I have read so far, it does not seem to be the one to go and buy expecting good performance. But if you are buying a Punto and if this is marginally more expensive than the EPK 75HP, then this one makes a better case for buying.

Last edited by deepakhon : 14th July 2010 at 18:41.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:40   #23
Senior - BHPian

Oh, that's some pathetic interior fit and finish. I'll never go close to it even if they give 100HP :-). These small things really matters when you are driving the car on a daily basis.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

The stickered Punto:

In case you are wondering what this is, its a normal 90 HP emotion pack fitted with these stickers, which are new accessories added by Fiat.

Cost unknown.

Its the same stickers that Fiat showed in its "sports" edition at the auto expo.

In case you are wondering about the left rear door, the sticker was yet to be fitted. A pic of that is shown at the last.

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05174.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05175.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05176.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05177.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05179.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05180.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05183.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-photo0212.jpg
Old 14th July 2010, 18:47   #25
Team-BHP Support

@Sid-- Your driving impression is very good, its v. good because the car has come up below average.
Sorry, couldn't resist it.
Thanks for bringing in the first drive impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gee Sid, Thanks for beating me in posting the 90 BHP Punto Review onboard . That said, I'm sure your review will be as insightful as our official test reports. Waiting for the full driving post from you.
Looking forward for your impressions too.
OT-Didn't we(T-Bhp) get the 1.2K in Swift for a test?Yet?
May be a full track-day is due.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challa View Post
Nice pics SID as always, any news about the pricing front please let us know and could you please confirm if 90HP comes with standard black painted top as in the pics.
its not standard. the demo car was painted black by the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
So only visible difference is black roof and chrome door handles like Linea E PK.
only chrome handles. It has a white roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
The black roof looks tacky to me! I am generally a fan of black roofs but not this one.
To me it looked decent and balanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Good work Sid. Hope to see more info coming from this thread. Liked the caption on the back - "No wonder you are behind me. I am the most powerful Diesel Hatchback"
Most powerful diesel hatchback, yes. But only on paper. 1248 cc, 93 ps, thats why. On the road its slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I dont know whats wrong with these guys at Fiat India. They seemed to be masters of screw-ups. They took what could have been the best hatch and made into an average hatch. Like GTO mentioned, where are those extra horses! Compared to the I20 the punto is lighter (i20 is 1222kgs while punto is 1190kgs I think), so they cannot say its the weight. When hyundai can do it, why can't fiat???? They have been in this business far longer than hyundai.
Absurd gear ratios and fuel efficiency top priority. Remember the palio's image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Great review SID. Just one question to you gurus. The estimated OTR INR 7.5. is worth paying over the normal GP MJD available? What i mean to ask is, for normal driving routines, for e.g. 70% city - 30% highway, is it worth paying that extra for those 15 horses.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I dont mean to initiate a debate here, just a doubt that came into my mind and thought of getting it clarified.
FGT still remains better for that kind of use. Lets see the final price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Metal View Post
Great initial report Sid! Sorry but here are some questions:
What is the 'MY CAR' feature?
Is this something that is being provided only on the 90HP Punto?
Is it really a 90HP Punto or 93 like the Linea?
You mentioned the Black Roof is optional. Is there any other things on the options list?
  • 93 PS=90 HP approx (93 X 0.8) (ignore my poor mathematical calculations)
  • My car feature is standard on all models of linea, punto and 500 from the start. It controls various parameters like:
  1. speed limit setting
  2. trip and activation
  3. clock setting
  4. date setting
  5. radio display
  6. automatic door lock
  7. setting units for distance, range and temperature
  8. selecting from 9 languages
  9. button beep volume adjustment
  10. check service reminder
  11. front passenger airbag activation
  • Besides this, standard display includes:
  1. time and date
  2. ambient temperature
  3. average and instant fuel consumption
  4. trip meter and trip time (range)
  5. low fuel warning
  6. specific door open warning
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
So Fiat has changed the gear ratios, sid mentioned that the 2nd gear was ridiculously tall ?
Yes, it is. 30-100 kmph can be reached, but it struggles over 80.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
totally disappointing stuff. car looks gorgeous from outside! Black roof also looks nice. But interior plastic quality "simply pathetic". Huge panel gaps are such a big let off. FIAT should learn from Hyundai for interior FIT and FINISH.

No way this is going to be a competitor to i20 FIAT you lost it!
It totally is. The i20 is much, much better, so is the jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Awesome review Sid, i have been waiting anxiously for this. Even i am disappointed to know that the 90bhp is nothing more than a more refined punto. sad.
A more complete punto, yes. For a Fiat-ian. But for a general public, yes and maybe, no.
Old 14th July 2010, 18:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Fiat engines do open up after a few thousand kilometers under the belt so I am pretty sure this would too but really dissapointed by the quality and fit and finish of the interiors. Another thing I want to share is that I had a peek inside the bonnet of the Punto just to see if they have compromised the quality for the engine ancillary units but was relieved to find that they were as good as the segment best.

I have a feeling that if at all there is a price increase it would be marginal, somewhere around 10-20k's Ex-Showroom.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

SERVICE INTERVALS:

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05169.jpg

1ST SERVICE- 3000 KMS OR 3 MONTHS whichever is earlier
2ND SERVICE- 15,000 KMS OR 12 MONTHS whichever is earlier
3RD SERVICE- 30,000 KMS OR 24 MONTHS whichever is earlier

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05167.jpg

First Drive: Fiat Punto Multi Jet VGT 90 HP-dsc05166.jpg
Colours:
  • fox trot azure
  • tuscan wine
  • minimal grey
  • medium grey
  • bossa nova white
  • exotica red
  • hip hop black
Old 14th July 2010, 19:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
From what I have read so far, it does not seem to be the one to go and buy expecting good performance. But if you are buying a Punto and if this is marginally more expensive than the EPK 75HP, then this one makes a better case for buying.
depends upon the ratio of city to highway running. If Fiat discontinues the FGT punto E-pack after launching the VGT punto E-pack, it will make a stronger case for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Oh, that's some pathetic interior fit and finish. I'll never go close to it even if they give 100HP :-). These small things really matters when you are driving the car on a daily basis.
I only request fiat to copy paste the linea's interiors into the punto. It looks much more upscale.
Old 14th July 2010, 19:06   #30
BHPian

Small query.

All Punto owners have reported(including me) a surge in performance post 5k mark on the ODO.

Is there a software lock on the ECU which does that?
In that case, what about a review of the same car post 5k run?

My reason for this being: Initially all complained the GP to be a slowcoach. However, post my highway runs and the track day performance by another GP owner, I do have some reservations on how the mill performs below 5k mark.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks