Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2010, 19:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Cannot comment on the run-in factor of the VGT Punto.
One more fact that I have to mention is that the accelerator pedal of punto 90 HP is very soft and like other puntos, clutch travel is long.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:00   #32
BHPian

What's stopping Fiat from plonking in a more contemporary gear box!

I personally feel, if they change the current gear box with a more slick unit and alter the gear ratios a little, it would do wonders.

I have nothing much to say on the panel gaps. Even if Fiat had ordered components in large quantities, considering the market feedback, it should have had stopped using them in the current lot.

Fiat you are getting the game all wrong time and again! You want to keep the costs low, and make profit. It will not work unless you create a mark first. Don't look at short-term profit. Keep your operating margins low for the next few years, exceed the customer satisfaction in all departments and you will see the volumes that follow.
Old 14th July 2010, 20:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review, thanks a ton! Thanks to people like you and GTO, some of us get a feeling as if we have driven the car, without doing so

I wonder why in the world someone would plonk 7.5 lakhs on this car! If I were after its looks, I would go for a lower variant. If I had such a huge budget, I would reach for the Fiesta 1.6 petrol or even try to reach for the ANHC!

Looks like Fiat got it wrong again.

Polo 1.6...
Old 14th July 2010, 20:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

For all those criticizing the pricing let me tell you that it hasnt been announced!
Old 14th July 2010, 20:50   #35
BHPian

I'm just wondering if I made the right decision in going for the FGT Punto! I for one was not hugely impressed with the interiors, but for the price point it was offered, the FGT made a case for itself. I really do hope the pricing is done correctly for this one
Old 14th July 2010, 21:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
I'm just wondering if I made the right decision in going for the FGT Punto! I for one was not hugely impressed with the interiors, but for the price point it was offered, the FGT made a case for itself.
Just my thoughts. My FGT EP now appears like a great VFM buy.
In fact, I simply hope that Fiat will not stop the FGT EP version even if the price difference (VGT) is 20-25K. There are people like me who really s-t-r-e-t-c-h their budget for that 15" wheels, dual airbags, EBD, ACC and maybe Blue&me. We can live without those 15 horses.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 14th July 2010 at 21:07.
Old 14th July 2010, 21:12   #37
Team-BHP Support

I wonder how sid's views with regards to acceleration will change once the car is run in. Only after owning a fiat do you believe what a difference running a few thousand kms makes to the fiat engine. Anyway, im not regretting not waiting for the VGT punto, ill pete mine and make it 98bhp
Old 14th July 2010, 21:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

as said by me in the other thread regarding "fiat being politically incorrect for calling the punto the fastest diesel hatch , a tag which is held by the i20 if mag reviews were anything to go by".

Im sorry to say this, but the fiat palio had much better Build quality compared to the punto.

It would be a crime if fiat even tries to price it over 8 lacs(i20 territory).
Old 14th July 2010, 21:58   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Small query.

All Punto owners have reported(including me) a surge in performance post 5k mark on the ODO.

Is there a software lock on the ECU which does that?
In that case, what about a review of the same car post 5k run?

My reason for this being: Initially all complained the GP to be a slowcoach. However, post my highway runs and the track day performance by another GP owner, I do have some reservations on how the mill performs below 5k mark.
Yes sir it has opened up big time but the problem still lies in the wierd gear ratios !
The track day performance was good because i used only the 3rd and 4th gears which have good in gear acceleration in the FGT punto .
The 2nd and the 1st are very short and this is the reason for lack of outright 0-100 acceleration timings! But once the fgt punto starts moving and is in 3rd gear it is as quick as any diesel hatchback sold currently !
The VGT punto might be different as the 2nd gear is too tall!( why does it have to be both extremes! )
Fiat still hasn't learnt its lesson with the interior ! For a regular Indian buyer , the interior quality (not the design) rather than the performance and handling is more important! Looks like another opportunity lost!
This upgraded VGTmodel can be accepted only if its 30-40K more! any higher i think its better to stick with the FGT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
as said by me in the other thread regarding "fiat being politically incorrect for calling the punto the fastest diesel hatch , a tag which is held by the i20 if mag reviews were anything to go by".

Im sorry to say this, but the fiat palio had much better Build quality compared to the punto.

It would be a crime if fiat even tries to price it over 8 lacs(i20 territory).
i think it would be incorrect to comment on the Build quality in general ,the materials sans the plastic is still good, but yes! the interior in Palio was much much better even more so considering that it was launched like 8-9 years back. Thank god that 100% localisation has not yet happened with such poor choice of vendors!

Last edited by amulu10 : 14th July 2010 at 22:14. Reason: nw
Old 15th July 2010, 10:21   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Fiat engines do open up after a few thousand kilometers under the belt
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I wonder how sid's views with regards to acceleration will change once the car is run in.
There is nothing magical about a Fiat diesel engine that makes it feel better after 5,000 - 10,000 kms. Fact is, ALL DIESEL ENGINES feel better once they have a couple of thousand kms logged on. Its an accepted fact that diesels feel distinctly sharper once they have 20,000 kms of running under their belt. And whatever applies to the Punto diesel also applies to the Swift, Dzire, Manza, Vista etc. (i.e. the other cars using the same engine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
For all those criticizing the pricing let me tell you that it hasnt been announced!
I believe the Punto Emotion PK already costs 7.25 lakhs on the road. I would expect - at the minimum - a 30,000 increase, which takes it to the quoted 7.5 lakhs (if not higher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Just my thoughts. My FGT EP now appears like a great VFM buy.
In fact, I simply hope that Fiat will not stop the FGT EP version even if the price difference (VGT) is 20-25K. There are people like me who really s-t-r-e-t-c-h their budget for that 15" wheels, dual airbags, EBD, ACC and maybe Blue&me. We can live without those 15 horses.
Agreed. Existing FGT owners shouldn't feel short-changed at all. Based on initial impressions, a power box'ed Punto feels better than the VGT. Fiat has done a miserable job of tuning the VGT Turbo. Some Tuners from down South could do a better job.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:21   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I wonder how sid's views with regards to acceleration will change once the car is run in. Only after owning a fiat do you believe what a difference running a few thousand kms makes to the fiat engine. Anyway, im not regretting not waiting for the VGT punto, ill pete mine and make it 98bhp

+1 to that. I do believe a run in engine may open up, then put in a pete's box & you are ready to roll.

I had high expectations from the 90 Bhp version, a big disappointment. Why spend extra money when that gets you nothing substantially more ??

When is the Sports Version likely to come (1.4 T-jet) That is supposed to do 150 BHP..tempting, I hope that is not another disappointment

Cheers
Old 15th July 2010, 11:36   #42
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sid Nice Review, Now given the Huge difference in price between the 1.2 Petrol Emotion Model (wihch is said to be close to the 1.4 petrol in practical performance) and Top end 90 HP Diesel which is close to the performance of 75HP Diesel

Sid/GTO
Which is better VFM and fun to drive?
1.2 Petrol - 5.2L
1.4 Petrol - Emotion Pack -6.3L
1.3 Diesel - Emotion Pack - 6.9L
1.3 Diesel - 90HP - Emotion Pack - 7.5L Estimated
1.2 i20 Astra - 6L (No Sun Roof version)
1.2 120 Astra O - 6.4L (with Sun Roof Version)
1.4 CRDI Astra - 7.5L

If the Fiat Petrol 1.2 Emotion at 5.2L can give 95% of the features and performance that the Hyundai 1.4 Diesel Astra/ Fiat 1.3 Diesel 90HP can manage then shouldn't that be the one to go for.

Infact alternatively with discounts the Vista Saffire Petrol Aura + would be even more value at about 4.9L

2.3L is a huge price differential to justify going for a diesel over petrol considering that the petrol versions are also quite fuel efficent and the rest of the car remains the same.

So a Fiat 1.2 emotion or a Saffire Petrol Aura + anyone? l

Last edited by ACM : 15th July 2010 at 11:38.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:37   #43
Senior - BHPian

^ Ricky - 1.4 T-Jet is 120BHP naa? please correct me if i am wrong.

Nice review of the Punto 90 MJD. take care
Old 15th July 2010, 11:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There is nothing magical about a Fiat diesel engine that makes it feel better after 5,000 - 10,000 kms. Fact is, ALL DIESEL ENGINES feel better once they have a couple of thousand kms logged on. Its an accepted fact that diesels feel distinctly sharper once they have 20,000 kms of running under their belt. And whatever applies to the Punto diesel also applies to the Swift, Dzire, Manza, Vista etc. (i.e. the other cars using the same engine).
I dont have much experience with diesel engines but my opinion is based on by friend's Punto which I drove when brand new and just yesterday when its almost 10k kms old. I am terribly confused between the Figo and the Punto and while the Figo feels faster, Punto masks speed like no other.

Quote:
I believe the Punto Emotion PK already costs 7.25 lakhs on the road. I would expect - at the minimum - a 30,000 increase, which takes it to the quoted 7.5 lakhs (if not higher).
Emotion Pack diesel in Delhi is 6.5 Lakhs after discounts but quoting ex-showroom prices would give us a better picture instead of OTR prices. In anycase a 30k increase is not justified at all, Fiat would be shooting themselves in the foot if they do that with quality of interiors like that. If you ask me, I wouldnt be suprised if they dont increase the price at all or even if they do, it will be marginal, in the range of 10-20ks. Strictly my opinion.

Quote:
Agreed. Existing FGT owners shouldn't feel short-changed at all. Based on initial impressions, a power box'ed Punto feels better than the VGT. Fiat has done a miserable job of tuning the VGT Turbo. Some Tuners from down South could do a better job.
I am also suprised by the gearbox being outdated talk. If I am not wrong the Indica Quadrajet also comes with the same gearbox if not inferior unit and has sprightly performance when compared to the FGT Punto in the city. I think its more to do with being tuned for fuel efficiency.

I was so so expecting the 90 bhp variant to be effortless in the city but the initial reports suggest otherwise. More confusion.
Old 15th July 2010, 11:51   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Agreed that everybody is disappointed with the 15 horses missing.

Looking from cost perspective, to bring in the gearboxes that are plonked in Europe to India and make these hot hatches, there would be substantial capital cost involved. Agreed that they could have done better with the ratio and aid the performance. But FIAT has already learnt a lesson in a hard way of fuel guzzlers tag.

Now when they are trying to get rid of the fuel guzzlers tag, the performance issue creeps up. For FIAT is its not a bed of roses, rather a a bed of thorns.

All the best FIAT

Most Viewed