Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 09:24   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review there.

Though the reviews over the net have mixed findings. Waiting for GTO.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
sadly , looks like fiat is not keen on advertising the 90 HP punto. with the ongoing test series, ( fiat is sponsor ), i get to see a Linea AD every 2 min's but no punto AD.
The number of cars I see on road (Trivandrum Dist. Kerala) is 7 Lineas : 1 Punto.

That's the minimum ratio. Not exaggerated. I guess Fiat is promoting the Linea more, and set it sights up in that segment rather than in premium hatch segment.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 19th July 2010 at 10:10.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:08   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
My 40 percent less priced santro has far better quality than this.
I totally agree on this point. The plastics on the Santro are very good.

I have also noticed rusted front suspension strut bolts in the pictures. This is unacceptable for a new car. My colleagues 1.2 Active had this & it was sorted out by Fiat as there were several other rusted bolts on the car.

This is a huge disappointment for the many who were waiting for a fast Punto. I am not on the buyers list for a new car but am an absolute Fiat follower and it is very sad that the car has no real performance. Now I drive a similarly powerful 10 year old Ford Ikon and this car has the worst plastics ever but the Punto is horrible in comparison.

The Punto to buy would be the 1.2 fully loaded. All the frills you will ever need, a beautiful engine (If not powerful) & very drive able. Spend an extra 50 grand on a ECU job and I am sure it will spit the so called 90Bhp variant. If you have a lac, even better, you can beef up the brakes and add even more power and all this from a 1200cc engine. The person who can do this is already a member on this forum so I am sure you all know where to go for a true performance boost.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:20   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The Punto to buy would be the 1.2 fully loaded. All the frills you will ever need, a beautiful engine (If not powerful) & very drive able. Spend an extra 50 grand on a ECU job and I am sure it will spit the so called 90Bhp variant. If you have a lac, even better, you can beef up the brakes and add even more power and all this from a 1200cc engine. The person who can do this is already a member on this forum so I am sure you all know where to go for a true performance boost.
Surprised to read this point:

Punto 1.2 E is 4.99L. Add 1.5 L and you will end up spending almost 6.5L and void your warranty. OTOH Punto 1.4 EP is 6.1L only

All prices, Kerala.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:35   #155
BHPian

I can't understand one thing, when Punto FGT 1.3 was launched everybody said its a beautiful car, with great handling and ok interiors, and people started buying that may be less in number but the car is a hit. When the same car with a powerfull engine is re-launched, the same set of people started bashing it, but why? the new VGT costs about 50k more and thats what we all wanted, punto with more power and we almost settelled with interior quality. So guys please don't cry for interiors, if you like i20, go ahead and buy it, there are n-number of people in India who will not buy a Fiat product, how good or premium the quality might be, and Fiat is not looking at them when they are launching a new product.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:57   #156
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
When the same car with a powerfull engine is re-launched, the same set of people started bashing it, but why? the new VGT costs about 50k more and thats what we all wanted, punto with more power and we almost settelled with interior quality.
I don't have a problem with the price nor the interiors (its the market that does). What I do have a problem with is the way that Fiat has tuned the engine. Fiat simply hasn't extracted the full potential of the Punto 90.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:04   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't have a problem with the price nor the interiors (its the market that does). What I do have a problem with is the way that Fiat has tuned the engine. Fiat simply hasn't extracted the full potential of the Punto 90.
i know that i don,t even stand in front of you , when it comes to knowledge about engines / tuning , but Are,t fiat engines known to open up after a run of 5000 or 10000 KM's performance wise. we have Already seen this with few FGT punto 's . Don,t know how far i am correct in above statement .
Old 19th July 2010, 14:20   #158
Senior - BHPian

Fiat surely has not tuned their engines for instantaneous performance and this has always been the case except maybe the S10 or the GTX. All the other 1.6 engines of Fiat felt slower than those of other manufacturers. I would say that it is one of the nature of FIAT cars just like the slightly better F.E the maruti gives and the driveability the Fords give etc. etc.

FIATs are known for their Suspension setup and the driver oriented ergonomics, and in that they have been the best in class till this day on every car (except maybe the Stile 1.1). I dont see why we always expect more from FIAT cars.
Once we expected faster delivery
Then we expected more F.E
The we expected better service
Then we expect more power
Then we expect better plastics
I'm sure this is going to go on endlessly.

Maybe people dont like the plastics on the Punto or even the Linea. But i like the fact that i don hear people crying out about the rattles.

The earlier Palio's and Uno's had excellent built, superb finish and exemplary quality inside out. How many of use bought any of those cars. I find it ridiculous that most of the same people who complain about the Puntos plastic quality are silent about the rattles on the best selling car around and on the ridiculous equipment list on some above 5 lakhs diesel hatches.

Every car has its pros and cons. Every car has its own charecter. What car is good for you depends on what your priorities are. There is just no point in complaining that this car is this and that car is that and this could have had a little more of this and a little less of that.

Its just like that fact that i would have loved to be a little more taller and some more of muscles, a pinch more of intelligence and much more of money and then quite some more time to spend talking about cars and then some more of money and again more money and.....

Last edited by gemithomas : 19th July 2010 at 14:23.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:22   #159
agm
BHPian

IMO its the gear ratio which is hampering the overall performance of the car .

Got the chance to take a test drive for both Punto and Linea back to back , and to my surprise Linea felt better even when its heavier than punto.

Can someone explain what could be the reason for punto being slower?Is the gear ratio different in both the cars?
Old 19th July 2010, 14:28   #160
BHPian

I think plastics on the Punto are not that bad. They might not be as good as the other cars but they are not horrible either. Besides, people who have set their eyes on the Punto do not care about the interior plastics. I bought my 1.2 Emotion for 5.5 lakhs and got a car that looks like a million bucks. Nothing can beat that for the price.
About the engines, during my initial days, i found that the 2nd gear was almost useless. I had to immediately shift to the 3rd gear. But after driving for nearly a month and a half, i find that the engine has opened up a bit and the 2nd gear is a little bit more useful. I think it depends on the mileage done by the engine.
But, I do wish Fiat came up with better quality plastics coz this looks like the biggest complaint against the Punto right now .
Old 19th July 2010, 14:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I can't understand one thing, when Punto FGT 1.3 was launched everybody said its a beautiful car, with great handling and ok interiors, and people started buying that may be less in number but the car is a hit. When the same car with a powerfull engine is re-launched, the same set of people started bashing it, but why? the new VGT costs about 50k more and thats what we all wanted, punto with more power and we almost settelled with interior quality. So guys please don't cry for interiors, if you like i20, go ahead and buy it, there are n-number of people in India who will not buy a Fiat product, how good or premium the quality might be, and Fiat is not looking at them when they are launching a new product.
Let me put it this way, the so called 'bashing' has more to do with the fact that PUNTO enthusiasts and fence sitters alike are disappointed with the latest avatar, simply because FIAT played safe/stupid again and missed on an opportunity to create a near 'Perfect' premium hatch. All FIAT had to do was use the additional 15 HP the right way (with proper tuning) and improve the plastics all around. PUNTO always had the 'Premium' looks and the ride to match. I, like a lot of other folks feel that FIAT kinda blew it this time (rather.. one more time !) when they had the chance to nail the competition by creating a superior package. Everybody wanted genuine 0-100 excitement for the extra 50 grand and some plastics improvement, which obviously they haven't quite got, what FIAT instead has offered is a smoother ride and more power for the highway rides.

-B4W

Last edited by better4worse : 19th July 2010 at 14:35. Reason: typos
Old 19th July 2010, 14:41   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I find it ridiculous that most of the same people who complain about the Puntos plastic quality are silent about the rattles on the best selling car around and on the ridiculous equipment list on some above 5 lakhs diesel hatches.
Agree with you on the Rattles part, We have a GP MJD EP with my BIL at my home town, i have driven that car around 300-400 kms in April when i was there. To tell you, there was not a SINGLE rattle, nor any falling plastic parts in the car which has 21000+ Kms on the Odo. And one more example, is of our own TBHP Member Amit, his car has also done above 20000 Kms, there are no rattles & Falling plastic parts.

Note, the car at my Hometown, is driven on all types of terrain & harsh driving conditions of Rajasthan.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 19th July 2010 at 14:55.
Old 19th July 2010, 14:50   #163
BHPian

I agree with Gemi.

For us bench mark is still S10 & GTX. I still remember GTXs and S10s lying in the yards with no takers. At last they were sold for 75k to 1l discounts.

We have failed to accept those marvelous machines , by the time we did, it was too late , resale value was down and rest we all know. Palio is almost history now.

WE were late and not sure of our needs. And we tend not to be satisfied with whatever we get.

I am sure FIAT is careful about this and their actions in the Indian market will be carefully done. Lets hope for the best . With a bigger forum of enthusiasts and the confidence FIAT is building we should get a replacement for the bench marks in short time.

Waiting !!!!
Old 19th July 2010, 15:24   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Small query.

All Punto owners have reported(including me) a surge in performance post 5k mark on the ODO.

Is there a software lock on the ECU which does that?
In that case, what about a review of the same car post 5k run?

My reason for this being: Initially all complained the GP to be a slowcoach. However, post my highway runs and the track day performance by another GP owner, I do have some reservations on how the mill performs below 5k mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I really felt the difference after clocking 5K kms in my Punto FGT. The engine suddenly became more powerful and overall it felt as if the engine is running smoothly like never before.

Few of my friends who drive Punto 1.3 MJD also reported the same thing.

I don't know what change happens post 5K, but there surely is a notable difference. May it is the same that's gonna happen with the VGT.

And what's with all the bashing happening here? The Punto FGT launch thread didn't have this much bashing for the same car even with inferior plastics and FGT engine.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th July 2010 at 15:30.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:24   #165
BHPian

Finally some one brings up a point which can very well shut up most of the people bashing FIAT

what FIAT is good at is making rock solid cars. no rattles whatsoever after years of abuse. I do agree that they could have had the interior plastic quality a bit better. but what they have bolted underneath the plastic is what they are charging for. i got a couple of friends who have the i20 diesel, inspite of great interiors, the car has started to rattle like a baby's rattle with just barely over 20000 kms. Great plastic quality to give you solace right?

the point is that most of the people here who have a problem with the interior plastic quality of the punto were very sure that they never will buy a FIAT car no matter what. bad interior quality is their excuse.

+1 GTO

they should have tuned the car better.

and yes i do agree that they are not giving us a lot by charging 50k extra over the FGT variant. a mistake which will probably make FIAT loose it's only chance to come back with a vengeance!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks