Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 14:48   #391
BHPian

What I think Punto is facing mismatch problem.

I mean with Sporty outlook Punto should feel sporty but it concentrated on drivability factor. Sporty outlook coupled with slower acceleration due to drivability.

While on the other hand with same Gear Box Vista is doing great because it does not look sporty, It is a family car and drivability factor is important for family cars.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:20   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The fantastic Thing about Fiats(and Most Euro cars) are that they are very good at masking their true speeds.
You never know how fast you are going till you take a look at the speedo
I look at odo when I go for test drives and for the noise it was making,I expected it to be somewhere in the region of 100. In-cabin noise of Safari isnt this much and hence felt bad there too. Noise/sound at high rpm was way too much than Safari's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I have already documented my driving experience of the Punto 90 hp on another thread and I will repeat it here. There is noticeable difference in performance even on a brand new 90 hp engine and well run in 75 hp multijet.

P.S. My friend who just bought one already owns a Verna CRDi and didnt find the acceleration too slow. He says its resonably fast and is in love with the suspension, ride and handling and steering so much so that he hasnt touched his Verna ever since the day Punto arrived.
He would be happy with ride/suspension/handling which is what Punto is good for. I too would be happy if I had bought a Punto coz it will be able to sustain higher speeds for longer duration on not so straight roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Being Honest, Being an owner of a 20k+ run in Punto 75, Having driven Punto 90, I say both Punto 75 and 90 lacks real performance. After driving Punto continuously for a month now, whenever i drive Elantra/Scorpio/Fortuner/Verna the feeling torque rush in mid-range is UNREAL.

Even more sad part is most hatchbacks in the segment including Polo TDi, Figo TDCi and Indica Quadrajet are not any better. Even more shameful is the case of Corolla Altis Diesel. If you really like the seat in pants acceleration most of the modern powerful common rail engines offer today, do not buy the cars i have listed above.

Diesel cars that bring genuine smile to my face(Performance)-
  • Swift DDiS
  • i20 CRDi
  • Verna CRDi MT
  • Optra Magnum TCDi
  • Chevy Cruze TCDi MT & AT
  • Laura 110hp MT and 140hp AT
  • 320d CE and Highline
  • C220 CDI
  • A4 3.0 TDi
(as per Segment & Price, below 30L)
Safari and Scorpio will be a worth mention here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
...and I smirk with my 5.61L OTR Getz CRDi - bad on curves, but boy! Dont ask if the straights make up for it

(Irrelevant post, I know - but this is the feedback a long time friend who drives a Black Punto (that I still envy - the damn thing looks Oh So Sexy! And handles like one too!!!! Hyundai - gimme a 110 HP / 24 KgM "iPunto!!!)), after he took my car for a spin, in city traffic and in a open stretch, for the first time: "........ <Sigh>!")
OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
What this car seriously needs is a proper Remap or a good tuning box and then you will see those horses fly
CPH/Peter We are waiting :P

P.S i do know about the tuning box from petes available for the linea which is also usable on the VGT Punto.
Will make it 105bhp or so.

Quote:
^^ Just a change in gear ratios will do wonders, but that's not possible in an after market job. The European Punto 75 with same weight, FE and engine is as fast as the Swift D, the Punto 90 is even faster than a Swift.
Yes! that's what need to be changed. Hope they do that for the Sport model!

FIAT are you reading this?

Last edited by jkdas : 7th September 2010 at 15:21.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:38   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yes! that's what need to be changed. Hope they do that for the Sport model!

FIAT are you reading this?
Do we really need a Sport version after this? The Punto 90hp at 6.79+other charges already feels expensive for what it offers and is not doing any wonders to car's sales figures, an even more expensive Sport variant does not make much sense.

Instead Fiat should concentrate on getting the T-Jet under the hood of Linea ASAP.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:02   #394
BHPian

Well, the sports version is already out. The 90HP Punto is the sports version. Fiat might have thought of selling all the bells and whistles as accessories if the sales picks up. But since the sales has been average since the launch, Fiat must have decided against it.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 7th September 2010 at 16:03. Reason: typo
Old 7th September 2010, 16:30   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Well, the sports version is already out. The 90HP Punto is the sports version. Fiat might have thought of selling all the bells and whistles as accessories if the sales picks up. But since the sales has been average since the launch, Fiat must have decided against it.
Accessories are available at dealerships, which include Spoiler, Decals, Exhaust tip, aluminium pedals, seat covers & door sill.
They make the car look great , especially white colour (same as the Auto Expo car)
Old 7th September 2010, 17:17   #396
ajai_dev

One of my friends from Delhi was telling me that Fiat is re mapping the Lineas and Puntos "90 Bhp one only" and the remap is for better cooling performance. So they are trying to cool down the engine for extra performance?

Anyone who has a idea why they are remapping the cars engine's?

Old 7th September 2010, 17:32   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
One of my friends from Delhi was telling me that Fiat is re mapping the Lineas and Puntos "90 Bhp one only" and the remap is for better cooling performance. So they are trying to cool down the engine for extra performance?

Atleast one Linea owner in the forum has mentioned the remap in his ownership report. However, I understand that it is only for the 90HP FIRE (petrol) versions and not for the diesel versions.

The remap is intended to increase AC performance.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:35   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post

it is probably for better AC cooling performance.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:21   #399
BHPian

Right, remap is ony for FIRE and is meant to alter the ACC cut in/cut out process in the clutch engagement cycle, especially when driving in high traffic conditions.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:35   #400
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Instead Fiat should concentrate on getting the T-Jet under the hood of Linea ASAP.
For whom, Anshuman? European petrols do not sell in India. Their % in the product mix gets thinner & thinner as you move up segments (just ask Skoda, VW etc.). A 10 lakh rupee 1.4 T-Jet will make a handful of enthusiasts happy. That's it! The generic customer - who makes for 99% of the market - wants acceptable performance + FE...both of which the 1.3 MJD very well deliver on.

If you ask me, Fiat should work on bringing its interiors up to standard, sort out all the niggling issues and then bring people back into showrooms. The 1.4 T-Jet ain't going to do any wonders to the sales charts.
Old 8th September 2010, 19:55   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you ask me, Fiat should work on bringing its interiors up to standard, sort out all the niggling issues and then bring people back into showrooms. The 1.4 T-Jet ain't going to do any wonders to the sales charts.
+ They should bring out some catchy advt/"awareness" campaign. A couple and another gent queried me about the car (newbie questions like "Is it a fiat?") last sunday inside the parking lot of Pazhavngadi Big Bazaar, Trivandrum. The couple were on a Santro and the gentleman, a Corsa.

In the capital city of a car-crazy state, people are asking "What car is this?" more than 1 year after it is launched.
Old 8th September 2010, 20:03   #402
BHPian

Well said GTO. Fiat's intention in bringing out the 1.3 MJD in Linea was not to please the enthusiast. Its clearly aimed at the masses. In that price range, the interior quality is one major aspect that prospective buyers look for, and FIAT has fallen short here.

I doubt, how many would go for a very powerful fuel guzzler from FIAT. If they bring out a powerful diesel with better interiors, then there will be many more buyers, something like the 1.6/1.9 MJD. After all who doesn't mind a lighter fuel bill.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:27   #403
Senior - BHPian

Drove the 90 HP and it is not the Grande Punto I would buy. For the claimed 90HP power rating the engine feels dead under 2000rpm. The wave of power starts a little above 2000rpm and does not last for very long. This car is not cheap, quick shifting is not adviced on this gearbox cause you just can't do it or get the cogs right & in the middle of all this you will be out of the engines power band. I was looking for better quality plastics but there is none of it. Some plastic fittings on the car are horrible & I can't for the life understand why Fiat are not doing a thing about it. This is not a cheap car and every fitting on it has to be top quality.

This is the first time I am driving a Multi Jet Fiat and I found the clutch feather light when compared to my colleagues 1.2 which is a big bonus. Ride Quality is in a different league, the steering is wonderful and handling is sweet. This goes for the entire Punto line up.

This is not the come back power house car from Fiat. Nowhere near it infact. Fiat need to & can do much better. They gave us a car 10 years ago that was so far ahead of its time & is still the bechmark hatch back & we need a more powerful Grande Punto. The 90HP VGT is not.
Old 9th September 2010, 08:53   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Exactly. The Linea niggling issues thread is a scary place to look into. new owners reporting stuff breaking ABS failing, door locks failing, and what not. Anyone who reads that thread will think twice before buying a Linea/Punto.
Old 10th September 2010, 21:48   #405
BHPian

@sidindica and all the other "khabri" bhpians

any news on the punto sport??
the wait to buy it is killing me slowly..

no one has a clue?

Most Viewed