Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 19:16   #16
BHPian

Congrats on the mighty V8 Q7!! Great car I have to say! Do post some exterior pictures (and this time with a proper camera )

And 900 Nm?? Do you really need that kind of a torque figure on our 'roads'?

Imagine what the torque curve would look like.. a kitchen table perhaps?
Old 20th July 2010, 19:25   #17
BHPian

Now that is one car that defies the laws of physics! And you gonna chip it again, God save us!
Old 20th July 2010, 20:42   #18
BHPian

Congrats for the humongous Audi. You must be enjoying some serious road presence. And with that stonker of an engine..really envy you.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:59   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2010 at 11:07.
DicKy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st July 2010, 09:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats; hope you get to buy the almighty V12 one day.

The middle row looks uncomfortable for 3, is it so?
Old 21st July 2010, 09:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
200 kmph really comes up in no time as compared to the 3.0 sibling.
Woa!! Amazing....

Enjoy the ride.

BH.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:09   #22
BHPian

Thanks again guys for so many good wishes !!

I do only occasional driving (most of the time it is upto my drivers as the traffic-sense scene is too scary for me to handle) but essentially it is almost same as smaller engined sibling as regards steering feedback, ride and handling quality, brake feel and body roll.

Steering is quite light at city speeds but weighs up as you move into triple digit speeds. In fact you do require quite an effort once you are cruising at high speeds. I wouldn't say it is sharp (still feels disconnected as ever) but at least it is direct and accurate with very little play.

I didn't really felt any major difference in the ride quality be it comfort or dynamic mode. Haven't really tried the difference at high speeds though. However at low speeds the ride is quite plush - there are no thuds or any sound whatsoever moving over potholes. As I had mentioned elsewhere the low speed ride quality is near similar to GL (may be a notch below). However as the speed increases the rear passengers can feel the firmness even in comfort mode - though it is never uncomfortable. I would suggest anyone considering Q7 to seriously stick with the default 18 inch alloys. Anything bigger and you may not like the ride at high speeds.

The quattro gives you immense confidence in carrying large speeds over corners. Initially it does not feels right - but as you understand the car better it can really make you smile. Just trust the car !!

Though the car looks big from outside and you feel nervous for the first time driving it - I'd say spend two minutes driving the car and it starts shrinking around you. More so when you are at higher speeds. Very confidence inspiring. There is some roll but nothing that'd cause you to back down. When I compare this to say my Superb - any journey above 300 kms starts make you feel that you are in a journey. While I never got that feeling in Q7. Very poised and hushed.

Among all the cars that I have had - I have found Q7 easiest to park. The rear view guidance is amazing and very accurate. Allows you to make precise maneuvers even though rear view is pathetic if you plan to use just the mirror. Audi advance parking with rear camera is a MUST option.

Be prepared for some amount of wind noise (esp from those ORVM's) once you exceed 160 kmph. At 200+ speeds it is only the wind noise that you can hear. However in-cabin conversation is very much audible and possible without shouting at those speeds. For normal cruising speeds this is a fine cabin to be in - quite calm and serene.

As I had mentioned earlier the main difference between this and 3.0 TDI seems to some magic that Audi has done with throttle response. In V8 guise it is quite eager and immediate compared to the lag one experience with smaller engine.

Now for individual responses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats; hope you get to buy the almighty V12 one day.
The middle row looks uncomfortable for 3, is it so?
I don't think V12 is going to be offered in India anytime soon or ever. Even if offered it would be double the price of V6 which doesn't makes it much VFM as say compared to "limited edition" price of V8.

For middle bench two is preferred and optimum but can seat 3 if the third person is not very tall. The backrest may feel a bit hard for the middle passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
But why the hell you gonna chip it.It's gonna be a MONSTERRR..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Congrats on the mighty V8 Q7!! Great car I have to say! Do post some exterior pictures (and this time with a proper camera )
And 900 Nm?? Do you really need that kind of a torque figure on our 'roads'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Man, those Torque Numbers are insane bro. 900-940NM of torque after it is Chipped ?

Many Indian cars don't have that kind of numbers under the hood, let alone powertrain!
Blame @akshay1234 for that !! After I read his Peted Innova thread I tried the same on my Innova. Since then I have become a convert - rather a torque junkie. You wouldn't imagine how much this torque helps when you are in a long queue of trucks and you want to be immediately transported from behind one truck to another one in no-time before the guy in front can even react. It is hilarious to experience those brief spurts of g's .

Ample torque and immediate delivery is a must to survive in Indian traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats on the buy! looks like you were too obsessed with the interiors that you forgot to take the exterior Pics.

Wish you miles and miles of happy & safe motoring with the new beast.

And yes, now you are into that "celebrity club" of all stars who own this beauty !
Sorry for the poor pics. I'll post better quality pics soon (including exterior). Promise !!
Old 21st July 2010, 14:01   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Blame @akshay1234 for that !! After I read his Peted Innova thread I tried the same on my Innova. Since then I have become a convert - rather a torque junkie. You wouldn't imagine how much this torque helps when you are in a long queue of trucks and you want to be immediately transported from behind one truck to another one in no-time before the guy in front can even react. It is hilarious to experience those brief spurts of g's .
Good to know. But what a beautiful choice you've made. I love the 4.2tdi Q7. Now for some proper pics?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:10   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We're well familiar with muscle cars, the Q7 4.2 is a muscle SUV . Always had presence that can get intimidating...and you are talking of 900 NM of torque soon?! Whew. I take it that the cost of upgrading from the 3.0 -> 4.2 was about 20 lakhs?

Do post some exterior shots. Congrats and drive safe.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Good to know. But what a beautiful choice you've made. I love the 4.2tdi Q7. Now for some proper pics?
Thanks akshay1234. You wouldn't believe this but somehow you are the reason for this upgrade. Anyway I'm planning a 1200 km roundtrip travel soon so will post my experience and pics after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We're well familiar with muscle cars, the Q7 4.2 is a muscle SUV . Always had presence that can get intimidating...and you are talking of 900 NM of torque soon?! Whew. I take it that the cost of upgrading from the 3.0 -> 4.2 was about 20 lakhs?

Do post some exterior shots. Congrats and drive safe.
Thanks GTO !! Lets see how much that 900+Nm helps in reality. As is anyone's guess this was a pure heart decision - and as much it is against your well thought theory of "pre-worshiped" cars - I just had to do it . The cost of upgrade all said and done was about 26 lakhs.
Old 22nd July 2010, 13:54   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Many congratulations for this "super duper and nobody can beat you in an SUV" monster . Being a total sedan lover, this is the only SUV that i am totally in love with.

Due to so many of its positive, no wonder its one of the fastest selling niche SUV's in India. Hyderabad is one city which is obsessed with Q7's and Hydeez seems completely in love with it as we get to see these beauties a lot on our roads.

A little while ago, I read a review of this version (4.2TDI) in an auto magazine. Dont recall which one ( either autocar or overdrive) and the way the power of this beast was described was almost magical. Those words would be pure pleasure to ears of owners. If i were you, i would have cut that article and pasted on walls of my bedroom and read those few lines every day in morning

P.S: I loved the way you described the cost of ownership of your previous car ( 3.0TDI version) by simply saying it costed you Rs.160/km. Wonderful to know someone with pockets as deep as that

Happy and Safe Driving !!!
Old 22nd July 2010, 17:08   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
and as much it is against your well thought theory of "pre-worshiped" cars
No no no! On the contrary, I'm happy this time. Reason? Hopefully you upgrade soon and your Q7 4.2 becomes a pre-worshipped car for one of us

Just kidding : Sometimes, its good for the heart to rule over the head. We all deserve to make some insanely illogical decisions once in a while, especially when it comes to cars.

Enjoy your muscle car...oops...SUV.

P.S. We'd appreciate some nice exterior shots of your beast.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

NINE HUNDRED newton-metres !! Now that's something worth writing about. And speaks highly of your taste, trading in a year old 3.0 TDi in lust of a 4.2 TDi
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:43   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks akshay1234. You wouldn't believe this but somehow you are the reason for this upgrade. Anyway I'm planning a 1200 km roundtrip travel soon so will post my experience and pics after that.
Im happy that im the reason. But after installing the tuning box there is just something in knowing that your car is superior is some way to all the others of the model on the road.
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

entropy - you have bought *THE* SUV on Indian roads! Awesome presence, and absolute power. Hope it corrupts you absolutely

Enjoy the beast!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks