Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

good review. Am still not sure how it will pick up with full load AC on on steep slopes ?

Will it be decent or it will be sluggish ? And no Autobox? Guess with 1.4 engine they wont launch Autobox.

And yeah, saw this car today early morning at Lodhi Gardens, before I could take take pic, it moved away. Too early for delivery.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:14   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent review Sid

Toyota has a winner at it's hands. FE Vs CC/BHP/Torque? We know who wins in India.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

Had a short test drive of the Corolla yesterday evening and I have an opposite view as far as driveability is concerned. The turbo lag is pretty much there and the car starts to pick up only after crossing 1500 rpm which is also the case with the Punto FGT and the Indica Quadrajet. Its no where near as reponsive as the 1.4 liter Duratorq which is happy as long as you are above 1000 rpm.
The flat out performance is pretty average and isnt as free revving as the 4 value DOHC 1.3 MJD. Pretty average engine for its class with the only USP being the Toyota reliability and the fuel efficiency.
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:27   #34
BANNED

I would have liked to see a four valve per cylinder job with another 20% juice on tap. We will have for Pete to work his magic.

Last edited by Mpower : 22nd July 2010 at 17:50. Reason: fixing typo
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Prices:

Ex showroom Delhi (on road in brackets)
  • J=10,95,000 (12,38,826)
  • G=12,73,000 (14,38,155)
  • GL-13,75,000 (15,47,877)
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:55   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Buying and owning:

Toyota has launched the D-4D altis in 3 trim levels:
  • J, priced at 10,95,000 ex showroom Delhi
  • G, priced at 12,95,000 ex showroom, Delhi
  • GL (leather) priced at 13,75,000 ex showroom Delhi.
However, the "premium" that the corolla plans to command will be offset with industry best resale value in its segment, high mileage (21.43 kmpl as by ARAI), hassle free reliability that the corolla is always known for and decent cost of ownership plus durability.

But thankfully, ABS and automatic climate control is standard on all models. The G models gain airbags, high end 6 CD MP3 audio system with aux-in,..
The car comes with a standard 3 year/1,00,000 km warranty and Toyota dealers in general have a sterling reputation for service quality,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Summing up:

..sure to satisfy the aam janta who perceive the car to be underpowered.
Indian roads do not demand straight line acceleration or performance, rather they require low end torque and driveability, which this car is perfectly tuned for. In fact, for a typical Indian customer, it ticks many right boxes, the prime requirements of mileage, resale value, comfort, refinement and low plus medium range drive ability to the T.

Lack of top end highway performance, jittery low speed ride, dull handling and the overall image that it presents compared to the VW twins and cruze are perhaps its main drawbacks. For those customers who want all these, there are options.

Will it succeed? and will it create wait periods? Only time will tell, and I am still skeptical.
Sid,

Congratulations for an excellent review. I think your review ticks the right boxes for those who wish to include this model as an option, and this provides them a perfect view of what to expect in the diesel Corolla.

For me the most important points/features in your review are the ones that I have made bold and italicised, viz.

>diesel
>cost price
>entry level chaffeured executive car for city travel primarily
>Toyota brand credibility
>reliability
>a**

Whereas this car won't appeal to the Civic and the Jetta buyer, it will appeal to 99% of the potential buyers who want a peace of mind car, above other attributes which are present in the Civic ( stylish looks, a Honda engine, acceleration) and the Jetta ( high speed stability, ride, DSG, ruggedness).

Regards
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:12   #37

Great review. Covers all points in good detail.

However the car seems to be disappointing. Its not the best looker, its not the most powerful, its ride quality is adequate, its handling is not the best either. It offers good mileage, takes you from point A to point B without much complaints. Does a good job of what you expect from a car. That sounds like the description of a Tata

Except for the badge, I dont think it has anything above its competition.

Regards.
Old 22nd July 2010, 15:23   #38
BHPian

great review sid!
looks like toyota have another winner on their hands
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

As usual, high quality review SID. Your perception is completely different from the ACI review. Not a high performer (nobody expected it to be) - but drivable.

One question for you: Since you have driven the 1.3 MGD 90BHP of GP sometime back, how do you compare the two cars in drivabliity, especially in city traffic?
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Another monster hit in the private taxi segment this one is going to be, for sure. Add to it the FE crazy janta in our country, who will surely go for it - this car looks to be a BIG threat to the Lauras, Cruzes, Jettas et all. Seems like a best seller to me...but is it ? Time will tell.

Jack of all trades , master of none - is how I see the Toyota models here and this one continues the tradition.

ps - with Skoda, VW, GM and now Toyota - all have diesels - where does that leave the poor civic ? A minor face lift perhaps ....aided by a price increase ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 23rd July 2010 at 10:47.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:12   #41
BHPian

This will be lapped up by all high-mileage customers segments like taxi owners, company cars and individuals with high mileage requirements. Next 6 months sales figures will prove its success / failure but I will bet on a resounding success.

Honda need not worry about Civic as its potential customers may not find Altis D a attractive proposition. Mainly Laura, Cruze and Jetta will be hit.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:25   #42
BANNED

I suspect this may eat into the Innova market!
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:33   #43
BHPian

Excellent review. The car does look overpriced for the engine on offer. But should satisfy the Indian mindset of high FE if not anything else.

Toyota should consider this D4D engine in the upcoming Etios hatch or sedan. Though there is no mention of the diesel option on the Etios, the engine makes sense in a small car to compete with the market leaders - Swift/Ritz, Figo, Punto, etc. For sure, the build quality and Toyota brand name would woo a lot of buyers away from Swift and the likes (Punto would be an exception here due to the better build).
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

My points
If the Car is not performance oriented not sure why should there be six gears in the car.
Looks like the car is not targetted at the personal usage segment. In that case it would sure be a hit. Isnt that a change-over in the strategy, they stopped the qualis cos it was lapped by taxis. Now they are making a car targetting this segment.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
My points
If the Car is not performance oriented not sure why should there be six gears in the car.
Looks like the car is not targetted at the personal usage segment. In that case it would sure be a hit. Isnt that a change-over in the strategy, they stopped the qualis cos it was lapped by taxis. Now they are making a car targetting this segment.
Six gears are provided so that the engine delivers lower CO2 emissions on the highway and the driver is provided with the torque curve (higher speeds, higher gearing) even at higher speeds.

Higher engine speeds in a diesel usually end up just burning fuel and the torque output drops drastically.

The reason for the sixth gear is not for sporty acceleration, atleast not in the Altis Diesel.

Hope this helps

Most Viewed