Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:33   #46
BHPian

Brilliant work Sid.A excellent car for people upgrading from fiestas n verna diesel.it will be very interesting telling your neighbour that your luxury big car is more economical to run than his economical hatchback.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:12   #47

Thanks Sid for the review. How does it compare with Fiat Linea 1.3 MJ ? Will Toyota be able to lure a potential Linea buyer with this deisel ? Will the additional cost of Toyota justify ?
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:57   #48
BHPian

I was wondering : By what logic does the FIAT Linea with 90BHP engine is "under powered" and a ignorable car and the Toyota Corolla with 90BHP engine is acceptable and will be a highly sought after car?

Yes, fit and finish matter a lot at this level, but does the Corolla memorizes like the Linea? That itself is worth paying for.

I Wonder Why.
Apologies Sid for bringing this up in this post but could not stop myself.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

well I am forced to eat my word... to an extent. The linear power delivery of the car means it is drivable in the city, & even on the highways. I drive to Punjab often, & even if the roads are good, there is risk if the speed interceptors lurking at the corner of any bend. Thus can't drive beyond 100 much.
And, then I have either of my twin manual speed regulators (wifey or dad) who have the tendency to shriek at occasional speed bursts (mum prefers to sit terrified in the corner of the back seat ).

The big selling factor in favour of this car is the fuel-efficiency... recall the Maruti Suzuki ads on air these days.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 23rd July 2010 at 17:09.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:52   #50
BHPian

I think toyota people are going to have huge backlog on deliveries-a problem many manufacturers will love to have,with this car.Maybee this will force Honda to dole out some more goodies (dont want discount) or maybee a newer Civic for those wanting driving pleasure not having very high mileage.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:38   #51
BHPian

Chernish,

Performance wise I think Fiesta is far superior and ride quality is also not that bad in fiesta, so why should someone consider selling Fiesta and buy this ?

Apart from Toyota brand name and reliability factor, I dont think this car has anything great to offer. Talking about reliability, Fiesta is not far behind as well.

This is just my opinion guys, please dont bash.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drchernish View Post
Brilliant work Sid.A excellent car for people upgrading from fiestas n verna diesel.it will be very interesting telling your neighbour that your luxury big car is more economical to run than his economical hatchback.

Last edited by 2500cc : 23rd July 2010 at 18:42. Reason: Adding more
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:59   #52
BHPian

another one for the taxi market. Those going for style and performance would prefer the Cruze anyday !!
Old 23rd July 2010, 19:55   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Good review there! May be this was a test for the engine they might want to use in the upcoming small cars as well [Yaris / Etios etc] !

But for sure, this car is going to be a hit in the taxi segments.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:22   #54
Team-BHP Support

Nice review. I had no doubts about its mass appeal. Only suspicion was on the equipment levels on G versus GL.
Looks like G would make a very good buy. They have everything that standard top ends have.

It would make a best VFM buy.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:26   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
another one for the taxi market.
If Toyota is targeting this for Taxi market, they might loose out on some (not all) of them who would be able to afford the car but will be put off by the taxi image. On the other hand if the this is even as half as reliable as other Toyotas then owners can reap higher resale value and would be in higher demand like qualis or Innova.
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thats a good review Sidindica.
2. I am liking many people calling it as Aam janta, good to know that the aam janta can afford a 11 L car. well I cant
3. I thought of this in the i20 itself. When all complain of confusing wiper to indicator in the cars like Ford ones. How come no one complains of a 6th gear being in the place a reverse gear is for other cars? I still keep wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
If Toyota is targeting this for Taxi market, they might loose out on some (not all) of them who would be able to afford the car but will be put off by the taxi image. On the other hand if the this is even as half as reliable as other Toyotas then owners can reap higher resale value and would be in higher demand like qualis or Innova.
I'm not aam-junta, and hence cannot even think of buying this car. Even if I could afford it, I doubt I would because there is another car available at just over half the price which sacrifices only on a bit of interior quality and some features like Climate control. That too not all, and the few plastic parts that don't look up to the mark, well I would choose to accept them as flaws that make the car perfect. I am talking here about the Manza.

For someone who is chauffeur driven, I think a sporty engine, drag times and such are just bragging rights. Most of the time they'd prefer being driven sanely, so that they can work or relax on their way to/from work.

If I were the upwardly mobile type who does want to buy a fast diesel to drive, I might prefer (as Sid said) the Cruze LTZ, maybe? But then again, the AJ will of course go out in droves to buy this car, cos its a Toyota.

I honestly don't know what it is about brands and the premium they command. If I paid half the price for a car, percentage wise I might lose 60% of the value of the car in the same period that the Corolla loses 40% - big deal, I still lose less in absolute money.
Old 24th July 2010, 02:07   #57
BHPian

Thats a great review. I still do not get why are auto companies not launching automatic transmission in diesel vehicles. I just do not get the logic behind such a move. I believe that as much fun it is to drive a manual for primary city driving an automatic gear box would be the best. The Vento will only have manual transmission in diesel and now the Altis only has manual transmission in diesel. None of the hatchbacks are also trying to differentiate themselves by launching an automatic transmission in diesel. Maybe I am missing something here but I strongly feel there is a big big market for automatic transmission in diesel cars. Not a technical person so am not aware of any technical reasons for not launching but i hope someone listens.
Old 24th July 2010, 08:45   #58
BHPian

I see many people praising this car as a perfect solution for Taxi and all.

Isn't a Linea, which has premium looks, 2L less expensive and also cheaper to maintain .... a better bet for those folks?

Only place where the Linea is inferior is interiors probably. But hey its a taxi, what the heck.
Old 24th July 2010, 11:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I feel that eventually Toyota will launch the 2.0 D4D in the Altis. Right now offering the 1.4 D4D will help them keep costs competitive as the same engine will be used in the Etios and volumes will justify local production. Right now the 2.0 D4D will have to imported and it will be hard to price the car competitively. I feel if launced with the imported 2.0 D4D engine, they cannot sell the car for less than 15 lakhs given the duty structure etc...
Old 24th July 2010, 12:31   #60
BHPian

Excellent Review Sid! Toyota has another winner in their hand,

After Joining this forum I feel all so called Auto Magazines in India are worthless reading

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks