Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2010, 00:26   #1
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki SX4 Automatic 3000km report

Hi all,

We had bought our Silver SX4 Automatic in May. It has clocked 3000km so far.
The main reason we shifted to the SX4 was that my father who suffers from Arthritis was finding the Honda CityZX harder to drive each passing day. The clutch was rock hard for him. Knowing that we would be losing out on very good qualities of the City (such as good fuel efficiency and quality interiors), we went ahead and booked the SX4 Automatic.
After having driven the car for a couple of months now, I find this to be much easier to drive than the City.

My findings:

One: The steering is lighter than expected. I have driven SX4s before and was always allergic to its tight steering.

Two: The auto box is fantastic. Shifts well on time, shifts are quite smooth too. Just keep hovering over 50kmph or so and it will shift to the 4th (overdrive) gear to save fuel.
80kmph can be maintained at cool 2000rpm in the topmost gear. Press the throttle a little harder and the revs raise for a bit more pulling power. Not enough? Press still harder and the box kicks-down and pulls away with ease so you can overtake. Once you're done, just lift your foot off a bit and its back to cruising.
I am thoroughly impressed with the box on the SX4. Anyone who's buying an SX4 ought to seriously consider the Automatic.

Three: Fuel efficiency- my father travels to office via the Bangalore Elevated Highway to reach Electronic City; hence the trip would be 65% city traffic and 35% highway (he maintains 80kmph on the elevated highway) We have been getting FE figures anywhere between 10~13kmpl.
I'm guessing the figures should improve after the second and third services.
Anyone buying the SX4 automatic can expect 9kmpl-13kmpl.

Despite having lower FE figures than our previous City, we are completely satisfied with our choice of car. The SX4 provides good comfort, highway stability and ease of drive in city.

I will keep reporting FE figures.
Please feel free to comment or ask me any questions about the SX4 automatic.

Thanks,

Regards,
Vignesh Giridharan
vignesh.giridharan@yahoo.co.in
vigneshg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2010, 01:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Vignesh, thanks for putting up your impressions of the car. I have a friend who is currently considering buying one, and I will have him give this one a read so that he can decide. Can you spruce up your thread with a few pics for us, please?

Your FE figures are encouraging, although highway mile-munching is the main reason here I guess.
Old 13th August 2010, 20:33   #3
BHPian

Hi Vignesh, thank you for the report. I agree that the FE is quite good for such a big (heavy) car. How much was the AC usage (approximately)?
Old 7th September 2010, 19:11   #4
BHPian

Good review Vignesh, thanks. How did you find the back seat ride ? The previous ones were stiff as camel rides. Do you find a change in comfort ?
Old 14th September 2010, 19:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hi Vignesh, thank you for the report. I agree that the FE is quite good for such a big (heavy) car. How much was the AC usage (approximately)?

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.
We keep the AC on at all times. So all the FE figures are with AC on.

-Vignesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by binu balan View Post
Good review Vignesh, thanks. How did you find the back seat ride ? The previous ones were stiff as camel rides. Do you find a change in comfort ?
Hi,
Er... I haven't really traveled much in the rear seat reason being I'm the one driving mostly.
According to auto magazines:

"the suspension in the new SX4 has been tweaked for a less lumpy ride"

Personally I find the car to be doing well over bad roads. It also takes speed breakers well without any irritating thud after crossing one.

-Vignesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
Vignesh, thanks for putting up your impressions of the car. I have a friend who is currently considering buying one, and I will have him give this one a read so that he can decide. Can you spruce up your thread with a few pics for us, please?

Your FE figures are encouraging, although highway mile-munching is the main reason here I guess.

Hi,

Here are a few pics on our way to Pondicherry.

Highest mileage on the highway was 13.9kmpl with a light foot.
Lowest mileage on the highway 10.2kmpl.

-Vignesh

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SX4 Automatic 3000km report-img00091201006261824.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SX4 Automatic 3000km report-dsc00945.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th September 2010 at 19:27. Reason: Back to back posts in less than 20 minutes.
Old 6th February 2011, 21:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SX4 Automatic 3000km report

Hi Vignesh, what's the news on your car currently? What is the FE you are getting?
Old 13th February 2011, 21:14   #7
BHPian

Yeah man Vignesh! Please update this thread! I myself test drove this car recently and came away quite impressed. Quite a smooth refined engine and smooth auto gearbox. Sound proofing was quite nice too. Didn't get much noise in the cabin even at 80-90 kmph. I am thinking of picking up the SX4 AT in another few months. If the new Verna and Fiesta have petrol AT options at attractive prices though, then I might change my decision!
Old 8th March 2011, 11:06   #8
BHPian

Need help on the
- Initial run in period and suggested driving style initially
- When is First service ? and what oils ate mandatory to change
- How do you manage hill driving up and down both.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:10   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Need help on the
- Initial run in period and suggested driving style initially
- When is First service ? and what oils ate mandatory to change
- How do you manage hill driving up and down both.
If your car is new, maruti generally advices the customers to keep the car below 2500rpm or preferably below 2000rpm. With these figures you can reach a speed of upto 60-65kph. Hard acceleration should be avoided. These figures are only for maruti. First service time defers from company to company.

The first service is after 1000kms. I dont think any oil changes would be mandatory on the first service. The most vital service is the one after completing 15-20k.
Engine oil should be changed every 8-10k kms preferably.

Uphill and downhill is not much of an issue in an automatic. I have driven the SX4 automatic and it was very responsive on uphill. Drove it to mahableshwar once with a friend.

@vignesh- How about some interior pictures?

Last edited by DMehta : 8th March 2011 at 16:14.
Old 8th May 2011, 12:29   #10
BHPian

How is she doing now? She should be about 10-15k. Anything you feel we should be aware of? I have friend who is contemplating an automatic.
Old 15th May 2011, 02:26   #11
BHPian

Hi Vignesh,

How's your SX4 A/T doing now? Any updates?

The new Verna's pricing has been really shocking. The top end automatic petrol 1.6, the SX(O) AT costs 11.07L on road in Chennai. Compared to 9.8L on road for the SX4 ZXi AT. The SX4 ZXi AT Leather version costs 10.18L or so on road here. Now the SX4 seems to be much better VFM than the new Verna, even though the Verna has many more goodies.

Still, personally I think SX4 holds its own in a few areas:

* Superb 505 litre boot space
* Nice high seating position front and rear, resulting in easy ingress and egress, making it comfortable for elders in the family
* Very good ground clearance of 190 mm and large 16 inch wheels to tackle our roads
* Nice smooth VVT 1.6L petrol engine which easily gives a mileage of 10-11 kmpl in the city for the automatic version!

And the price and the wide service network are bonuses of course. My mind is almost set on an SX4 AT.

However the new Fiesta is yet to be launched and around Sep/Oct, Ford may be introducing the dual clutch 6-speed automatic option. And that is the time I may be ready to buy the car. So I shall wait to check out the Fiesta at that time before taking a final decision.

* Binu Balan: I think your friend can go in for the SX4 AT eyes closed. It is a lovely car and ideal for our roads. However, if he can wait for a couple of months to check out the Fiesta too in the automatic guise, it would be great.

I was really expecting the top end 1.6L Verna AT to be at the max around 30-40k more than the SX4 AT. However it's 1L more and I think that's not justified at all. Overambitious pricing to say the least. I am still not out of it. What a disappointment.

---Venkat
Old 15th May 2011, 10:28   #12
BHPian

Its been a long time since you updated your thread. Tell us how your car is doing. Even I own a Sx4 but a manual one. We did not buy an automatic one thinking that it would give poor FE. How much FE are you getting now? Since we are getting FE of around 8-10kmpl and the petrol prices keep on rising I feel I should have gone for the automatic version.
Old 2nd June 2011, 03:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Its been a long time since you updated your thread. Tell us how your car is doing. Even I own a Sx4 but a manual one. We did not buy an automatic one thinking that it would give poor FE. How much FE are you getting now? Since we are getting FE of around 8-10kmpl and the petrol prices keep on rising I feel I should have gone for the automatic version.
Hi Saanil, I drive an SX4 automatic (Dec 2010 model) and I get between 8 and 9kmpl with AC on all the time in Bangalore traffic. My office is 17km from home and I need to go right through the CBD to get there. I fill regular petrol from Bharat Petroleum. Earlier, I used Shell premium but, my mileage never exceeded 8kmpl. Things are better with the regular fuel, this quite surprises me. But, I'm happy overall. Its fun and easy to drive. Will write a complete review after I finish my third free service.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:59   #14

Hi All,

Great reviews here. i am also an owner of SX4 ZXi AT. I have close 4000 KMs and am happy with the performance of the car. the car delivers a much comfortable ride (even on Pune roads) and is easy to maneuver (despite its big body). Some teething issues, if anyone can help

a. The Break liners keep giving a rattling sound everytime i press the break pedals. though i haven't observed any issues while breaking but the noise is irritating. i showed this to the dealer for first service and they replaced the break liners, but the problem persists.

b. the steering column gives some vibrations as 80+ speed. i find that there is a little jerk, when the steering comes back to the normal (neutral) position. Has anyone observed this?

c. The FE is constantly 8.5 KMPL (in tight traffic conditions, with 100% AC on). I would have expected somewhat more (atleast 11 KMPL). Has anyone, who has got 2nd or 3rd services done shed some light if they see any improvement.

d. Has anyone considered putting in a CNG kit for their SX4 Automatic to cut on the fuel costs? or if anyone has already done that? any experiences?

e. How to accelerate, if you are following a truck @ 80 KMPH and want to overtake. if i suddenly press the accelerator pedal, i get into the lowest gear, accelerate and create a lot of noise and vibration. it appears like an amateur trying to overtake. Also, in this process, the car generates so much power that i feel butterflies in stomach to handle it.

Apart from these issues, i woudl say that the car is simply super for the following reasons:

1. The suspension is good.

2. The ground clearance is good.

3. The Big tyres give a lot comfort and tall look

4. AT is fun to drive (antoher motivation for me to go office each morning )

~Vishal
Old 2nd October 2013, 11:25   #15
BANNED

Maruti discontinued Maruti Suzuki SX4 Automatic ?? There is no information of AT variant in their website.

Most Viewed