Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 22:07   #136
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Good work theMAG.
Great pictures. Well chosen venue for the photos.
And great write-up.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:21   #137
BHPian

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Maruti has again forgotten to put safety switches on the rear doors (if the doors are not fully shut, the cabin light comes on) even in the VXI model, at least for the K10 that we saw at chowgule-Panjim.

I had to ask them to put these two rear door switches in my Alto LXI (and paid Rs 60 for them). Incidentally, Maruti did not even fit these switches in the Rs 5L Ritz LDI and my brother-in-law has ended up with ONE rear door switch as Chowgules Panjim did not have two switches to put on his Ritz. Why does Maruti forgo such essential (and cheap) fitments on their cars, I will never know.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:24   #138
Senior - BHPian

Alto is good car & with this new engine, it would fulfill desires of many, including us Bhpians who went to the lengths of contemplating a heart transplant for our existing Altos.

One of the biggest sore points that I ever felt in the Alto 800 was the gearbox. I am assuming things are a little better here at least in the durabilty & life aspects of clutch components like clutch & pressure plates.

Drive safe.
Old 4th August 2010, 22:31   #139
BHPian

first of all, a big thank you to theMAG for such a wonderful review!

And finally the spiritual successor of the Zen, the one we all have been waiting for is launched! With great power, efficiency, low cost of ownership and killer price, one can now have his cake and eat it too!!
Old 4th August 2010, 22:43   #140
BHPian

Excellent review theMag!
Team-Bhp reviews are sort of benchmarks these days with un-biased Opinion over products reviewed. Now back to the Alto k10, apparently they carried over the A-Star's engine, but how about the safety equipment? No ABS / Airbags? not even optional?
Old 4th August 2010, 22:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Review Mahesh, Loved the details & liked the wide angle shot taken from inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
That's what I was wondering. This is the same size as the A-star maybe just a wee bit smaller.

Why would anyone pay almost a lakh more now for the A-star?

What is weight difference between this Alto and the A-star. That should be the main factor for the performance.

Maruti with this have basically cannibalized their A-star.
Well Alto actually has more space on doors & in glove box, also boot is bigger. A-star on the other hand has better front row seating & overall aesthetics .

Also those who want ABS & airbags will go for it. With the new Alto I think Maruti should equip A-star with Alloys too, to make it people buy it.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Maruti has again forgotten to put safety switches on the rear doors (if the doors are not fully shut, the cabin light comes on) even in the VXI model, at least for the K10 that we saw at chowgule-Panjim.

I had to ask them to put these two rear door switches in my Alto LXI (and paid Rs 60 for them). Incidentally, Maruti did not even fit these switches in the Rs 5L Ritz LDI and my brother-in-law has ended up with ONE rear door switch as Chowgules Panjim did not have two switches to put on his Ritz. Why does Maruti forgo such essential (and cheap) fitments on their cars, I will never know.
My 2007 Alto LXi has these switches as OE for the rear doors as well. This as indicated is a safety indicator for a improperly shut door and is helpful. The earlier 2000 Vx1.1 do not have this.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:09   #143
BHPian

Gr8 review..

Wonderful review and comparision theMAG!
Hope this would really bring back the zen mania I missed long back.
One query..
Are the rear window panes completely going down the door or only 3/4 like the current A800/ Old PAL fiat.

Qudos to MIL for such nice strategy.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:14   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too am inclined to wait for about a year or so, since...

* The K10 would be tested by then and any teething problems would be sorted out by then.

* The wait list would have been (hopefully) eliminated by then and I could get one in quick time.

* By then, I may get some freebies and discounts for the K10

HOWEVER, the fear in my mind -- and this has been mentioned some earlier post -- is that Maruti could suddenly (and without notice) discontinue the K10 if it kills the A-Star. The Maruti 800 5-speed and the old Alto VXI suffered from this unfortunate situation some years ago, leaving a number of 800 5-speed and old Alto VXI potential owners in the lurch.

I would dread to be in a similar situation, because if the same thing happens to the K10, I would be left with a Alto F8D and no K10. The Alto BSIV would be no replacement for me. What say? Gansan bhai may be in a similar (or worse) predicament. Only difference is, his is a Alto 2009 and mine is a Alto 2008.

Melvyn

PS: I did some quick calculations as follows. I presently get a minimum average of 19kmpl (specified mileage is 18kmpl) in my Alto LXI and I would think that I would get about 21 kmpl (specified mileage is 20kmpl) in the new K10, given my driving styles and the similar nature of the two cars. Price of petrol is about Rs 52 here in Goa.

So, running petrol cost of the present Alto LXI works out to about Rs 2.74 per km. Similarly, running petrol cost of the Alto LXI would work out to about Rs 2.48 per km, all things equal.

Now, I would save about Rs .26 for every km in the K10 as opposed to my present Alto or Rs 2600 for every 10,000 kms. but I would have to cough up an additional Rs 1.5L if I sell my Alto for about Rs 2L and buy the K10. My heart says it is still worth going for the K10, given the features and specs. My head, however, says not worth the difference especially since I have had not a single problem with my Alto so far.
Dude, you need to slow down, especially given that your Alto has not given you a single problem as yet (touchwood!).

Let the ownership reviews come out and you take (a few) test drives and then decide? There is going to be a lot of buyers for this, and you can decide if its worth it or not, from trusted ownership experience!
Old 4th August 2010, 23:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

Between Alto and Astar the thing to be taken note of is that sitting behind the wheel of A star you get a large car feel compared to Alto.

Some quick gear shifting in Alto means you hit the co drivers knees once too often if you have an occupant in the front.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:24   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Dude, you need to slow down, especially given that your Alto has not given you a single problem as yet (touchwood!).

Let the ownership reviews come out and you take (a few) test drives and then decide? There is going to be a lot of buyers for this, and you can decide if its worth it or not, from trusted ownership experience!
Yes, I know I need to slow down. But I simply cannot forget the mouth-watering K10, in reality...or even in my dreams.
Old 4th August 2010, 23:27   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Very drivable. Remember- its optimized for city driving (which is my biggest grouse!).
[dumb question possibly but what the heck]

Do we have the torque chart available? How linear is it?
Given this car will be driven between 2000-3000 RPM for the most part, what to expect?

That apart, I am disappointed there is no ZXi!!

Most of us (me included) were complaining about the rear not so long ago! Looks like its sinked "in"
Old 4th August 2010, 23:41   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I know I need to slow down. But I simply cannot forget the mouth-watering K10, in reality...or even in my dreams.
My 2 cents, if you have extra money, go buy it and enjoy it.

Else, the reasoning for buying a car should not be the availability of a new better car! (There are always better cars availble in the market, the limitation is only the amount one is willing to spend) What if you buy K10 tomorrow and Maruti release another gem in an year! Will you sell K10 and buy the new one? Doesn't make sense right?
Old 4th August 2010, 23:51   #149
BHPian

This looks like a reincarnation of the good old zen.Fun,peppy and a pocket rocket. Maruti has made the right move. But ,I wonder what will happen to the A-star. Its not doing too well in India and on top of that the alto and wagon r introduced with the same engine.

May be Maruti is not too worried about the A-star as it is still doing well in the international markets and maruti is happy exporting it!
Old 4th August 2010, 23:56   #150
BHPian

To increase air pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Only the radiator and air intake need air that's why that half is exposed. The other half need not be open as it will allow dust and dirt to get straight into the engine bay. The radiator is small and covers only half the grill. The radiator also does not allow dirt to get into the bay directly from front.

And yes it was the same in the old Alto.
In addition when the front is blocked like this; such that only the radiator area is exposed to oncoming air in a moving car air pressure is increased in front of the radiator aiding in cooling the radiator and also increasing the ram effect onto the air intake pipe in a fast moving car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks