Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 15:15   #46
naj
BHPian

Atleast a variant with ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

It would have been nice if they offered a ZXi version with Airbags and ABS. Would have made a complete buy even if price was around 4lakhs. Is there any technical difficulty in equipping the Alto with airbags and ABS ?
to that suggestion.Indeed atleast an abs version should be made available.

Looking at the positive feed back which this Alto variant has received ,the folks at Maruti must be pretty pleased. Infact it is a laudable effort on their part.Great!!

Cheers
naj

Last edited by naj : 4th August 2010 at 15:19. Reason: Spelling correction.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Great! Great! Great!

Nice spec and killer pricing are sure to set the sales charts on fire.

Let me think about the many ways to convince my family so that I can get one of these as my 2nd car .

Only the lack of ABS + airbags sticks out.

Maruti - a zxi with ABS + airbags+Alloys @ 3.75 lakhs
Old 4th August 2010, 15:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
1. Effect of increased length. How is the rear seat space (with front seat pushed to avg seating position).
Since the wheelbase remains the same, I doubt there's extra rear seat space (apart from what's available due to the recesses in the front seats). Looks like all 5 inches of increased length are upstream of the firewall - should come in handy if you want to swap a bigger motor in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Official shots taken from vicky dot in.
The console pic shows two temperature warning lights & what looks suspiciously like an airbag warning light !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Body coloured OSRVM, alloys, stereo, rear wiper and defogger not part of standard equipment.
I guess with the large recess in the rear tailgate for the number-plate, the rear wiper motor couldn't be accomodated within the tailgate.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:25   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Well the increased length is only due to the extended front bumper and front overhangs to accommodate the larger engine. The overall size is still the same apart from the elongated front.
I don't think so. There is a definite improvement in rear leg room due to length increase, as told during the launch and from news sites.

asdon's pics after visit to showroom (pg.2) also indicates an increase. Infact he says "rare leg room is very good" (sic).

A side-on comparo between A800 and AK10 would have helped a lot.

Last edited by WindRide : 4th August 2010 at 15:31.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hey Mahesh, great review & excellent pictures man. I loved the "randomness" ones the most.

A pity about the vague steering particularly if the car is a pocket rocket. And I'd have loved to see ABS at least on this car. But I guess, as people have mentioned, that's all they have going extra for the A Star!
Old 4th August 2010, 15:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Only the lack of ABS + airbags sticks out.

Maruti - a zxi with ABS + airbags+Alloys @ 3.75 lakhs
You have the A-Star Zxi for that

Also adding ABS and Airbags will negate the weight advantage it has over its counterparts.

Alto is an Alto - Cheap to own, Cheap to maintain and fun to run.

Kudos maruti for keeping the traits of alto intact, yet produce a superb avtar.

Last edited by Mi10 : 4th August 2010 at 15:29.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:32   #52
Senior - BHPian

theMAG - great review!! The comparo pics to show the changes from the Alto 800 were great.

What I didn't like was the front overhang. Every thing else looked pretty fine to me. Everything else looks par for the course and the engine performance as written about comes from a couple of segments above.

A lot of folks have commented that this is the spiritual successor of the jelly bean Zen. I would beg to differ - I think it is the spiritual successor of the 5 speed 800 brought out by Maruti in 2000.

I guess Swift D owners like me would now have to eat humble pie on the road with this pocket rocket. Given the performance to mileage specs I think Maruti will find this model flying off their shelves.

My preferred list of mods:
175 R13 spec tyres
Alloys
A free flow exhaust setup - headers and all
Universal air filter

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 4th August 2010, 15:36   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
I don't think so. There is a definite improvement in rear leg room due to length increase, as told during the launch and from news sites.

asdon's pics after visit to showroom (pg.2) also indicates an increase. Infact he says "rare leg room is very good" (sic).

A side-on comparo between A800 and AK10 would have helped a lot.
Simple way to get better rear legroom. Scoop out a cavity in the front seats and change the front seats to a different slimmer profile type. There you go, few extra inches rear legroom without changing anything.

To increase the length will mean increasing the wheelbase which has not changed. Increasing wheelbase means changing the monocoque design. Maruti will not touch that. The overhangs can be increased namely the front in this case causing the length to increase but overall space is same
Old 4th August 2010, 15:36   #54
BHPian

why why why? this did not happen 3 years before? I am literally crying after reading this review. When I bought my Alto F8D 3 years back, there was no option for such an engine. And now, K10 has arrived and I am feeling disappointed.

For a regular highway user like me.. this K10 equipped Alto would be a worthy partner. SIGH!

And yes, when does Maruti started copying designs like a Hyundai? The rear tail-lights are a straight rip-off of Beat's rear lights. And the Headlights often makes me think of Fiesta 1.6S headlights.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-copycat.jpg  

Old 4th August 2010, 15:37   #55
BHPian

Somehow the integrated headrests remind me of Nano seats. Is it only me or anyone else feels the same?

and yeah Rajesh, the headlights reminded me of Fiesta immediately!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 4th August 2010 at 15:39.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

The definitive city hatch. Perky engine, nice A/C and small dimensions!
Old 4th August 2010, 15:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
why why why? this did not happen 3 years before? I am literally crying after reading this review. When I bought my Alto F8D 3 years back, there was no option for such an engine. And now, K10 has arrived and I am feeling disappointed.

For a regular highway user like me.. this K10 equipped Alto would be a worthy partner. SIGH!
At least your Alto is 3 years old; mine is just one year old.

But I am anyway doing back of the envelope calculations to see how much dent I will have to bear in case I decide to swap my Alto 800 for the k10. Buklding castles in the air right now!
Old 4th August 2010, 15:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
At least your Alto is 3 years old; mine is just one year old.
Sir, you atleast brought an Alto, i brought an i10
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 15:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
... Scoop out a cavity in the front seats and change the front seats to a different slimmer profile type. There you go, few extra inches rear legroom without changing anything.....

....Increasing wheelbase means changing the monocoque design. Maruti will not touch that. The overhangs can be increased namely the front in this case causing the length to increase but overall space is same
Aah, my learning for the day. Thanks vid6639!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
... this did not happen 3 years before? ... I am feeling disappointed....
3 years is a long time rajeshsundaram. Lot of water down the chennai coovum. Why don't you sell off your alto and 'upgrade' to k10?!
Old 4th August 2010, 15:56   #60
BHPian

Surprisingly you will find ABS & Airbag icons in consol but they are de-activated. And there is more space in rare seat, atleast more than my Alto which is a 2007 model.
Boot space remains same
No Music system with Vxi
Parcel tray with Vxi
Remote Boot opener
New driver and co-driver seat is more comfortable
The engine bay looks great and looks like a cold air intake fitted
The steering feels good
Gear shift is better(I tried it the showroom) with shifting all gears
Change in exhaust pipe
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Maruti Alto K10 : Review-pipe.jpg  

Most Viewed