Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 22:17   #61
Senior - BHPian

some small yet useful features

Want to list down some uncommon yet useful features I have discovered in the car, most of which I was unaware of while buying the car. And I think some or most of these are not available in other cars of this segment.
  • Height-adjustable seatbelt for driver and co-passenger - important for safety
  • Seatbelt with pretensioner and load limiter for driver and co-passenger - again important for safety but I do not think all cars have this
  • Power window lock - once the switch is pressed, the power windows can't be operated. Very important for safety particularly if you have a naughty kid in the back.
  • Boot opening in remote - this is one feature I used to miss in my Santro, really very useful.
  • Auto lock - if the key is not inserted and the doors are locked, the car will lock itself after 30 secs. I always was paranoid about whether I have locked my car properly! Several times, I used to go to the parking to check whether the car is locked properly. Now, even if I forget to lock the car, no worries!
  • Alarms for seatbelt, headlight on and door open - both visual and audio. I particularly find the headlight alarm very useful as again I have a tendency to forget switching off the headlights and had paid a heavy price for this. Now, no worries!
  • Vanity mirrors for driver and co-passenger
  • Volume control by speed - As speed increases, audio volume increases. Its a cool feature though not really that useful.
Old 12th August 2010, 22:27   #62
BHPian

Congrats! You got the best of hatchbacks with space more than C segment Sedans!
Old 12th August 2010, 23:01   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats! You got the best of hatchbacks with space more than C segment Sedans!
Thanks breezydrive, you summed it up very well!

Quote:
congrats adimicra for the new car,looks really good especially in white.

i too was looking at getting the jazz in white but instead i got it in silver.
have had it for 6 months now and i am pretty happy with it.
Thanks mate! All other owners of Jazz in this forum are very happy with their possession while you seem to be pretty happy! Any issues? if yes,please share.

One minor correction(typo) in the earlier post -
Auto lock - if the key is not inserted and the doors are closed, the car will lock itself after 30 secs. I always was paranoid about whether I have locked my car properly! Several times, I used to go to the parking to check whether the car is locked properly. Now, even if I forget to lock the car, no worries!
Old 13th August 2010, 10:44   #64
BHPian

well yes i am pretty happy with the car but there are some minor issues.

-the suspension is pretty stiff and not as supple as it should be.

-don't know if you have noticed this or not but the the steering wheel though looks great has a minor but irritating flaw, the horn pad is quite far from the steering rim.
i mean you have to take your hand off the rim to use it unlike in the civic whose steering is the same design but of a smaller dia. thus more convenient to use.

-the absence of a front center armrest is quite felt on long drives also the armrest on the door itself is pretty far from your right arm rendering it useless.
if you have to use it then you have take your hand off the steering wheel, something that's not wise to do.

don't know if fellow jazz owners have observed this. but i do plan to get an aftermarket center armrest fitted to take care of this.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Yes, these are minor issues which any car will have..replies in bold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
well yes i am pretty happy with the car but there are some minor issues.

-the suspension is pretty stiff and not as supple as it should be.

I felt the same in the TD but it is much better in my car may be due to the Michelins. But, I guess you will not have any issues in the high speed ride quality. I would suggest you to get Michelins, if you don't have it already. Of course, as I said earlier, the ride quality is not the USP of this car but pretty good. Cars like Punto have the best ride quality. But I prefer Jazz's ride than cars like Manza/Vista/I20 who have super soft suspension and feels wishy-washy over bad roads and the high speed handling goes for a toss.

-don't know if you have noticed this or not but the the steering wheel though looks great has a minor but irritating flaw, the horn pad is quite far from the steering rim.
i mean you have to take your hand off the rim to use it unlike in the civic whose steering is the same design but of a smaller dia. thus more convenient to use.

This is a minor issue and so far I haven't noticed it so far. May be because I do not like to honk much. The steering looks fab and it is not that big IMO. In fact, most cars in this segment have a bigger steering. Of course, no point in comparing with the Civic!
-the absence of a front center armrest is quite felt on long drives also the armrest on the door itself is pretty far from your right arm rendering it useless.
if you have to use it then you have take your hand off the steering wheel, something that's not wise to do..don't know if fellow jazz owners have observed this. but i do plan to get an aftermarket center armrest fitted to take care of this.
I am not sure I understand the issue, but all cars in this segment have a similar setup I guess but centre armrest is always a good feature to have. In fact, the Jazz international version do have it - I found it in the manual
Old 13th August 2010, 11:04   #66
agm
BHPian

Congrats mate for owning the best hatch in the country IMO

I have been discouraging many in the family not go for Jazz , just because of the actrocious pricing.But when i started looking for a premium hatch for myself and took a test drive of jazz for the first , just fell in love with it ,the car is really good .

Have booked Polo 1.6 but still confused if i should cancel my booking and go ahead with Jazz .

Have got time , as the delivery has been delayed .will get the car by next month probably.

Have been reading many said that Jazz is only good for those who already have other car and jazz will do good as a second car in the family . May i know why people think so?what if someone goes for a jazz and dont have any other car?

thanks
Old 13th August 2010, 11:24   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agm View Post

I have been discouraging many in the family not go for Jazz , just because of the actrocious pricing.But when i started looking for a premium hatch for myself and took a test drive of jazz for the first , just fell in love with it ,the car is really good .

Have booked Polo 1.6 but still confused if i should cancel my booking and go ahead with Jazz .

Have got time , as the delivery has been delayed .will get the car by next month probably.

Have been reading many said that Jazz is only good for those who already have other car and jazz will do good as a second car in the family . May i know why people think so?what if someone goes for a jazz and dont have any other car?

thanks
Hey agm, welcome to the club of confusion
I had the same confusion too amd I went for the Jazz. I don't know about this 2nd car funda but my other car is Santro which I might sell as well.
I will try to give you an objective reasoning for my decision to go with the car.
Financial angle - After discounts, Jazz is 50K costlier than Polo 1.6! Now, you get 4 yr extended warranty and 4 yr roadside assistance free with Jazz. For VW, it will cost you at least 12K i guess. No upgrade required for the Music system - again money saved! Also, you can easily bargain at the Honda dealership to get lot of free accessories worth 25K! Plus, you can insist and get the Michelin tyres - no tyre upgrade required. So, all in all, price difference is nothing much.
Interior space - Jazz wins hands down.
practicality - Jazz wins hands down with all bottle holders near AC vents and magic seats and so much other stuff.
boot space - Jazz wins by a huge margin.
Visibility - Jazz is better than any other car in this segment or the next.
Performance - The Polo 1.6 would be faster no doubt but not my a huge margin. The 1.2 vtec of the jazz is very good and gives great performance if you are willing to revv it! The Jazz has a top speed of 176 kmph whereas Polo 1.6 has 180 kmph. I guess the 0-100 times will be about 1 sec faster for the Polo 1.6, do not have any road test numbers as yet but this is an educated guess.
Features - Jazz has better features with steering audio controls, electric mirrors, height adjustable seat belt with pretensioner, boot opening on remote, Aux in music system,auto lock, vanity mirrors (I guess your wife wants them ). Polo has seat height adjustment (though cumbersome to use) which Jazz does not.
Ride - The Polo has slightly better low-speed ride. Jazz with Michelins is good as well. The high-speed ride of Jazz is good and should be at par.
Handling - This has been the surprise for me. The car handles very well ( don't know due to the Michelins or not). No problems in taking corners - the chasis is easily capable of handling much more power.
FE - If you care about it, Jazz is one of the most fuel efficient cars in the segment, similar to Swift/Ritz.

For me, I wanted very good space, practicality,visibility which the Jazz has along with adequate power, ride and handling. So, for me it was the Jazz without doubt because I do not want to buy an entry-level sedan next (since I am spending so much already) just because of interior space or boot space!
If performance is your sole criteria, then Polo 1.6 makes more sense. Otherwise, it is the Jazz!

Hope it helps! One piece of advise is - listen to your heart to make the decision , you will not go wrong!

Last edited by adimicra : 13th August 2010 at 11:31.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:

thanks
Jazz seems to be a more practical option than Polo 1.6. I even though like Polo 1.6 very much Jazz offers more space in back seat, has a decent Highway Capabilities, Good head room, Great visibility, good road presence, Honda After sale service(VW yet has to be establish A.S.S). So Jazz seems to be a more practical choice for a family car. Polo 1.6 on the other hand is more aggressive styling and aggressive engine well suited for Enthusiastic.

Last edited by ashok_lat : 13th August 2010 at 11:28.
Old 13th August 2010, 11:52   #69
agm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey agm, welcome to the club of confusion
I had the same confusion too amd I went for the Jazz. I don't know about this 2nd car funda but my other car is Santro which I might sell as well.
I will try to give you an objective reasoning for my decision to go with the car.
Financial angle - After discounts, Jazz is 50K costlier than Polo 1.6! Now, you get 4 yr extended warranty and 4 yr roadside assistance free with Jazz. For VW, it will cost you at least 12K i guess. No upgrade required for the Music system - again money saved! Also, you can easily bargain at the Honda dealership to get lot of free accessories worth 25K! Plus, you can insist and get the Michelin tyres - no tyre upgrade required. So, all in all, price difference is nothing much.
Interior space - Jazz wins hands down.
practicality - Jazz wins hands down with all bottle holders near AC vents and magic seats and so much other stuff.
boot space - Jazz wins by a huge margin.
Visibility - Jazz is better than any other car in this segment or the next.
Performance - The Polo 1.6 would be faster no doubt but not my a huge margin. The 1.2 vtec of the jazz is very good and gives great performance if you are willing to revv it! The Jazz has a top speed of 176 kmph whereas Polo 1.6 has 180 kmph. I guess the 0-100 times will be about 1 sec faster for the Polo 1.6, do not have any road test numbers as yet but this is an educated guess.
Features - Jazz has better features with steering audio controls, electric mirrors, height adjustable seat belt with pretensioner, boot opening on remote, Aux in music system,auto lock, vanity mirrors (I guess your wife wants them ). Polo has seat height adjustment (though cumbersome to use) which Jazz does not.
Ride - The Polo has slightly better low-speed ride. Jazz with Michelins is good as well. The high-speed ride of Jazz is good and should be at par.
Handling - This has been the surprise for me. The car handles very well ( don't know due to the Michelins or not). No problems in taking corners - the chasis is easily capable of handling much more power.
FE - If you care about it, Jazz is one of the most fuel efficient cars in the segment, similar to Swift/Ritz.

For me, I wanted very good space, practicality,visibility which the Jazz has along with adequate power, ride and handling. So, for me it was the Jazz without doubt because I do not want to buy an entry-level sedan next (since I am spending so much already) just because of interior space or boot space!
If performance is your sole criteria, then Polo 1.6 makes more sense. Otherwise, it is the Jazz!

Hope it helps! One piece of advise is - listen to your heart to make the decision , you will not go wrong!
Thanks a ton buddy for your precious and prompt reply

If i go with the heart , it'll surely be jazz . The time i sat on jazz for the first time a month back , my heart is singing jazz sanson mein jazz dhadkan mein !

My monthly running is around 700-800km ,so a car with FE of 9-10 will do fine as long as the performance is decent .

but after reading your review i feel jazz aint a slouch by any mean and it should return more fe compared to polo 1.6

Dealer offered me flat 60K discount for the base model ,thats it.No accessories nothing. 7.6L onroad .

Adi how about the ground clearance , you ever scraped over the humps or bad road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok_lat View Post
Jazz seems to be a more practical option than Polo 1.6. I even though like Polo 1.6 very much Jazz offers more space in back seat, has a decent Highway Capabilities, Good head room, Great visibility, good road presence, Honda After sale service(VW yet has to be establish A.S.S). So Jazz seems to be a more practical choice for a family car. Polo 1.6 on the other hand is more aggressive styling and aggressive engine well suited for Enthusiastic.
Yup pal you right , jazz seems to be more practical and sensible car .Power and built quality is what polo's strong point,whereas in all other aspect Jazz is better .
A.S.S is a bit of a worry , since VW A.S.S quality is still unknown .

will think over it properly and will take a decision today . thanks so much guys the suggestions/opinion

Last edited by agm : 13th August 2010 at 12:10.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:02   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Want to list down some uncommon yet useful features I have discovered in the car, most of which I was unaware of while buying the car. And I think some or most of these are not available in other cars of this segment.
  • Height-adjustable seatbelt for driver and co-passenger - important for safety
  • Seatbelt with pretensioner and load limiter for driver and co-passenger - again important for safety but I do not think all cars have this
  • Power window lock - once the switch is pressed, the power windows can't be operated. Very important for safety particularly if you have a naughty kid in the back.

This feature is there in the Getz and a few other hatches right now.
  • Boot opening in remote - this is one feature I used to miss in my Santro, really very useful.
  • Auto lock - if the key is not inserted and the doors are locked, the car will lock itself after 30 secs. I always was paranoid about whether I have locked my car properly! Several times, I used to go to the parking to check whether the car is locked properly. Now, even if I forget to lock the car, no worries!

This feature is also there in the Punto, as when you cross 20kph the doors autolock. I didnt know the Jazz had this feature
  • Alarms for seatbelt, headlight on and door open - both visual and audio. I particularly find the headlight alarm very useful as again I have a tendency to forget switching off the headlights and had paid a heavy price for this. Now, no worries!

These are common on all hatches i believe. I saw it on the Punto, i20, Swift etc.
  • Vanity mirrors for driver and co-passenger
  • Volume control by speed - As speed increases, audio volume increases. Its a cool feature though not really that useful.
I second you on this.

Any ground clearance issues so far adi??
Old 13th August 2010, 12:04   #71
BHPian

@ashok
even i looked up the web for the OE armrest that comes with the jazz, would look around to see if i can find anything as close to it as possible.

@agm
the jazz is is the car to buy if you are looking for the perfect sensible family hatchback, it is extremely practical.
the polo 1.6 will surely make the the enthusiast inside you much more happy.
Old 13th August 2010, 12:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

colomel/agm and everyone else,
No issues with the GC. This weekend I took a wrong route by mistake - the road construction was going on and the road ended abruptly. I realized it very late and even though I braked hard, I could not stop within the proper road - I was almost sure that I will scrape the car underbody. But to my surprise, nothing happened. I can assure that you will not hit any issues due to GC. The suspension being little on the harder side, the vertical movement of the car is very limited on uneven surfaces which I feel makes the GC more than adequate. Some cars with higher GC but extra soft suspension will scrape the humps on bad roads more regularly.
Agm,
The performance of the Jazz is pretty adequate IMO. It does a 0-100 in 13.2 secs (reference smartcat's thread on small cars) which is similar to the Swift and has a top speed of 176 kmph better than any other current hatchback by a fair margin ( Our TBHP member Nitronium also confirmed that hitting 185 kmph on the speedo is not too difficult). I am yet to try that though!
@colomel,
The autolock feature I was mentioning is little different in Jazz - Suppose you park your car and take out the key, forget to lock the doors by pressing the button on the remote and walk away - in such scenario, the car locks itself after 30 secs! The autolock while car moves at 20 kmph is absent in the Jazz which I find annoying but I am confident that it can be activated as it is present in the internaitonal models - will need to talk to the Honda dealership though!

Last edited by adimicra : 13th August 2010 at 12:28.
Old 13th August 2010, 13:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton buddy for your precious and prompt reply

If i go with the heart , it'll surely be jazz . The time i sat on jazz for the first time a month back , my heart is singing jazz sanson mein jazz dhadkan mein !

My monthly running is around 700-800km ,so a car with FE of 9-10 will do fine as long as the performance is decent .

but after reading your review i feel jazz aint a slouch by any mean and it should return more fe compared to polo 1.6

Dealer offered me flat 60K discount for the base model ,thats it.No accessories nothing. 7.6L onroad .

Adi how about the ground clearance , you ever scraped over the humps or bad road?

Yup pal you right , jazz seems to be more practical and sensible car .Power and built quality is what polo's strong point,whereas in all other aspect Jazz is better .
A.S.S is a bit of a worry , since VW A.S.S quality is still unknown .

will think over it properly and will take a decision today . thanks so much guys the suggestions/opinion
Hey man, you should bargain for more. The base model is useless without the select kit (alloys and rear parcel tray).
I got 62K discount on the base model plus Slelect kit and mode kit free plus some freebies like mudflaps,mats,teflon. Later, I upgraded to Active kit instead of the mode kit as the Active kit is pure 'drool' stuff at an additional cost of 12K. Total discounts and freebies should be 1Lakh apporx. Bargain, bargain and stop not until you get that 1L discount!
Old 13th August 2010, 15:55   #74
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review. My personal favorite is your comparison between POLO 1.6 & Jazz. specially the Financial angle.

I got a message from a dealer in Ahmedabad today about offer on Jazz 4.99% reducing rate and insurance @ 1 Rs.

Did you get such a deal or yours was better? I am in no plans to buy a car but with a recent Jazz purchase in the family and this txt from a dealer is forcing me to think. Have always loved the Jazz. I have always thought that to buy a Jazz you have to love it. All the financial calculations can stay in your head. This is a heart purchase.

Happy driving. keep us posted on your experience.

Cheers!!
Old 13th August 2010, 16:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Fantastic review. My personal favorite is your comparison between POLO 1.6 & Jazz. specially the Financial angle.

I got a message from a dealer in Ahmedabad today about offer on Jazz 4.99% reducing rate and insurance @ 1 Rs.

Did you get such a deal or yours was better? I am in no plans to buy a car but with a recent Jazz purchase in the family and this txt from a dealer is forcing me to think. Have always loved the Jazz. I have always thought that to buy a Jazz you have to love it. All the financial calculations can stay in your head. This is a heart purchase.

Happy driving. keep us posted on your experience.

Cheers!!
I haven't done the calculations but I would personally prefer a cash discount and the Kits (select and active) in the deal rather than the low interest rate!

You are right mate ..this is a decision from the heart - I fell in love with the car and went for it!
All this financial calculations are just another way to justify to my head that I was not making a stupid decision ( the head was always questioning my decision)..hope you get the point!

Last edited by adimicra : 13th August 2010 at 16:05.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed