Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 16:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Damn, I didn't realize this was a Fiesta 1.6 review. Congrats! I drive one and it's indeed a superb car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
4) Music system might be the best offered by OEM, SP was saying it is Kenwood yet to check that as its not written on the casing
It's a Sanyo HU with chinese speakers. But yes, it's the best OE ICE in that segment. Very good clarity, but hardly any bass. If you are an ICE nut, you will end up upgrading sooner or later just like I did.

Quote:
5) Ground Clearance is good, didn't touch any speed breaker so far in Bangalore, the king of speed breakers
GC is only 168 cms on paper, but the suspension set up and the short wheelbase ensures that most speedbreakers are not an issue. It may touch when carrying 5 passengers and a fully loaded boot.

Quote:
6) F.E. it was a concern for me as Fiesta Petrol is not known for it but so far I am getting ~ 10.5 kmpl which is decent although using very light foot and AC on 1
AC blower position does not matter. 10.5 is quite decent.

Quote:
7) Indicators on ORVM's look damn cool
Don't break the ORVM. They cost 5K each.

Quote:
2) Polo gears were far more smoother, hats off to DSG
Polo does not have DSG, but I guess the gear shift is even shorter and slicker than the Fiesta's as per reports on this forum.

Quote:
3) Why aren't the engines pre-run, I so want to floor the accelerator and can't untill 3000 km or 5000 km? Fiesta Owners help needed here
The engines are indeed pre-run, but other components like gearbox, brakes and tires need running in as well. Take it easy for 1500 kms and keep varying the speeds and RPMs. You can start redlining after that if you want.

Quote:
4) USB drive slot not present in the music system, this should be included now
5) Somehow MP3 CD's I wrote dont show the folder name or track name, is it same for other Fiesta owners too?
6) Audio controls on steering are missing
Change the ICE. lol

Quote:
7) For winding the windows the ignition should be on (I haven't got the chance to read the manual yet but in case it can be done otherwise do let me know)
Ignition need not be on. ACC should be on as far as I know. Will check.

Quote:
9) An option of not taking the beige leather seat covers should be there. I feel them getting dirty already and would be good to have a darker option
One of the reasons to buy an S.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:55   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
@carfanatic

the car looks superb! Congratulations.
About keeping the car clean, go through the following thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...esthetics.html

Also, IIRC Jopatsu is used to wipe of the dust from the exteriors, so that you don't have to wash it everyday.

Edit:
Also, it is very important to run in your car. Many manufacturers may not mention it, but it is always beneficial to do so. However, 3000-5000kms is longer than usual. What does it say in the owners manual?
Thanks Lamborghini, I will go through the thread over the weekend. I am being very careful with the run in period and havent crossed 2500 RPM and mostly maintained 60kmph or less, once went to 70kmph too. The manual says 1500km and have done 470 km already so run in completion not far now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Damn, I didn't realize this was a Fiesta 1.6 review. Congrats! I drive one and it's indeed a superb car.

It's a Sanyo HU with chinese speakers. But yes, it's the best OE ICE in that segment. Very good clarity, but hardly any bass. If you are an ICE nut, you will end up upgrading sooner or later just like I did.

GC is only 168 cms on paper, but the suspension set up and the short wheelbase ensures that most speedbreakers are not an issue. It may touch when carrying 5 passengers and a fully loaded boot.

AC blower position does not matter. 10.5 is quite decent.

Don't break the ORVM. They cost 5K each.

Polo does not have DSG, but I guess the gear shift is even shorter and slicker than the Fiesta's as per reports on this forum.

The engines are indeed pre-run, but other components like gearbox, brakes and tires need running in as well. Take it easy for 1500 kms and keep varying the speeds and RPMs. You can start redlining after that if you want.

Change the ICE. lol

Ignition need not be on. ACC should be on as far as I know. Will check.

One of the reasons to buy an S.
Thanks Gilead so far love at first sight is proving true and I really like driving it except crowded & busy office routes where I am still trying to adjust to the new clutch-gear-acceleration combo and finding it bit of pain.

Thanks for answering so many queries and ICE is pretty good and right now no plans to upgrade but in future you never know.

I am being quite careful to change gears frequently and maintain 2000 RPM mostly.

On the power windows it would have been great if they could be operated from the remote as so many times I take the key out and then realise that have to shut the windows first. I guess will get used to it soon.
Old 18th September 2010, 13:23   #48
BHPian

1250 km update

Hi All,

Have completed 1250 km and very near to completing the 1500 km run in period as prescribed by the user manual, however I want to again ask people who had recently bought Fiesta 1.6 on the recommendation for run in km as I checked with the dealer last week and he is saying that please don't go at high speeds and more than 2500 RPM till 1st service i.e. 5000km !!

Other observations:
1) When I switch the ignition on the car roars as if I have pressed the accelerator hard, is it normal with other Fiesta's too?

2) Car is very silent but since yesterday there is some noise coming from the driver side wiper blade I guess, it's loose I think

3) Sunfilm coming off from one window have complained to the dealer he wanted to just cut it off and when I insisted he said during first service he will change it

4) Car pulls very well but 1st gear is very short, 2nd gear is short too, 3rd & 4th gears are best for city driving

5) Soft feel plastics on dash are good, I love to put my finger on it and push to check it

6) AC at higher blower speeds makes considerable noise, not sure if that is normal

7) FE I usually get 10.5 to 11kmpl and I am not using system G yet

8) Want some advice on maintaining beige leather seats as they are dirtying pretty fast
Old 18th September 2010, 20:57   #49
BHPian

First things first :- congrats on the beast.
And from one Proud fiesta owner to another only one sane advice.
Respect the beast and it would respect you. I have driven 13000 kms in the last couple of months of ownership and no reason to complain.
now for the points :-
1) I have found it normal when the fiesta greats me with a roar on a cold start. the trick is to let it idle for some moments and then move. You would notice that the RPM is also on the higher side when it roars. Its standard.
2) The Noise. Check the wiper blades and dare i say, also the glove compartment. More often than not, its what is in the car that rattles then the Fiesta itself.
4) The gears i agree. I too found the 1st gear too short. But would suggest you utilise the 2nd gear well. I tended to underestimate the 2nd gear initially because of the excellent range offered by the 3rd in city driving. But the 2nd is a gem too. Downshift to 2nd when ever you can.
6)The AC does sound loud when its on blower speed 3 and above. Yes.
7) The FE is normal. Mine gives me the same in the city with 90% AC.

And as for the leathers; search here. There is a lot of information floating arnd in Teambhp if you look for it.

Enjoy the beast and drive safe

Last edited by nairanupg : 18th September 2010 at 20:58.
Old 9th October 2010, 15:03   #50
BHPian

2000km update

Few updates:

Did my first long drive which was a day trip to Lepakshi (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-lepakshi.html)

It's becoming easier to drive the car with the beast taming me and sometimes I tame her . I named her Fiona too. The car is revving better and a delight to drive and only issues being sun film coming off which dealer has promised to replace during first service. However my ORVM have been hit thrice by bikers (how I hate them for this !) although no damage luckily.

I wanted to know from others on the F.E. calculation method

In the morning when I started from home then ODO - 1620.6km and DTE was 184km, when I returned ODO was 1895.2km and DTE was 203km

I filled in 17.1 litre petrol for 1000 Rs @58.5 Rs/litre

So the car covered 274.6km and as DTE was 19km more and my car gives FE of 10.5kmpl+ so 1.8litre of fuel left from morning refill. So the F.E. works out to 17.97kmpl (274.6/(17.1-1.8)). Is this the correct way or am I missing something.

F.E. looks too good to be true
Old 9th October 2010, 19:51   #51
BHPian

I can't believe I missed this thread! Congrats carfanatic(A lil too late but nevertheless ). I own the 1.6 in the exact same colour; the next time I see a twin on the road I'll probably assume it's urs!

I am getting a slightly lesser mileage than yours but then there's quite a bit of redlining involved in my case. So I am happy with it.
I don't really think the 2nd's short; in fact I find it very useful in the city - pulls from very low bumper speeds to a good cruising speed very well. Just wait for the engine to open a lil bit more; mine did at around 2500 kms on the odo and it's been a complete beast after that.
BTW, did you change the tires? and the headlights?
Old 10th October 2010, 11:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

There is only one way to calculate FE, which is the tankful to tankful method.
Basically, fill up the tank, reset the trip meter to 0, drive till you need to fill up fuel, and then divide the kms run by the fuel used in.
So, if after filling up the tank, the car ran for 500km before you refueled the tank up again (once again to the brim), and assuming it took only 25L to top off the tank, your FE would be 500/25 = 20kmpl.

The DTE is unreliable to use to calculate FE, as it keeps on changing based on the way you drive. So if you are stuck in traffic, the DTE will have a lower figure.

About keeping the seats clean, buy good leather wipes/cleaner from a reputed auto store. I have used armorall leather wipes and was happy.

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th October 2010 at 11:56.
Old 10th October 2010, 13:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

@CF007---Great review and very informative post on your buying decision. The car looks great!

Welcome to the Fiesta 1.6 sxi Paprika Red club. The alloy wheels look great on your car, but the only part I did not like was the ORVMs in chrome. I'd have preferred those to by body-coloured.

I think the sports pedal kit will take your interiors a notch higher. I got them for Rs 2700 approx.
Old 11th October 2010, 07:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
There is only one way to calculate FE, which is the tankful to tankful method.
The DTE is unreliable to use to calculate FE, as it keeps on changing based on the way you drive. So if you are stuck in traffic, the DTE will have a lower figure.
+1 to that, tankful to tankful is the ideal method of calculating the FE. I normally do a tankful when the DTE reads 80 and low fuel switch is on.

As lamborghini said the DTE is really unreliable and I can vouch for that. The way it fluctuates sometimes drives me nuts.
Old 27th November 2010, 13:41   #55
BHPian

First Heartbreak

Well the story goes like this, Diwali vacation for 2 weeks was the first time I had to part with my car. The day I returned I was very excited to get my hands on the wheel and drive it again. I was stepping out of the apartment complex with a bike going at a moderate speed in front of me. We have to take a right turn to come to the left lane and continue on. As I was taking the turn I turned to see the left lane as cars come at a good speed from there and behold the bike in front of me suddenly stopped in the middle of the road and my first crash. I was devastated a new 3.5 months old car and a crash right in the middle of the car damaging bonnet, grill and bumper. Good news is now it is repaired and looks new again.

I claimed insurance as it was only 3.5 months old and bonnet painting and denting was costly 4500 Rs+ tax and grill was 44000 Rs+tax + labour etc.

However I never claimed insurance earlier to was surprised to hear 1000 Rs document preparation charges as it is 1.6 liter petrol engine. Is it same everywhere?

Pics of the disaster:
Attached Thumbnails
A very twisted tale - Polo to Fiesta 1.6 SXi-imag0016.jpg  

A very twisted tale - Polo to Fiesta 1.6 SXi-imag0019.jpg  

Last edited by carfanatic007 : 27th November 2010 at 13:44. Reason: One pic didnt upload
Old 28th November 2010, 02:23   #56
BHPian

Hi Fanatic,
Congrats , your story was lovely. Sad to see you crashed your fiesta.I own a Dec'09 Fiesta ZXI Morello and have had awesome fun owning it so far.Still haven't put up my ownership review!!!
I am not sure the grill costs 44000.Is it a typo?
I would recommend you to go with the insurance. Have claimed it couple of times for repairing the bumper for scratches and once replaced the
rear panel too. Went for insurance both times.
Metro has body shop at Hessaraghatta somewhere..But their service has been quite good so far. No issues, only they don't pamper you like Bimal Maruti does
(wife's car)..
Hope you continue to enjoy the car.drive safe. It's easy to get carried away in
this car. You need all the effort to keep it going below 50 kmph ...I have never got more than 10kpl (tankful-to-tankful) in city so far so you are doing good on the FE front as well.
Have fun,
cheers,
rpmx1000
Old 28th November 2010, 06:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I claimed insurance as it was only 3.5 months old and bonnet painting and denting was costly 4500 Rs+ tax and grill was 44000 Rs+tax + labour etc.
I hope that is a typo.

Quote:

However I never claimed insurance earlier to was surprised to hear 1000 Rs document preparation charges as it is 1.6 liter petrol engine. Is it same everywhere?

Pics of the disaster:
Since your car is less than 6 months old, the depreciation is 0%. After 6 months, its 50% on glass and rubber items and 5-10% on metal items. And on every claim, you will have Rs.1000 excess. Soeverything is in order.
Old 28th November 2010, 09:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Hi Fanatic,
Congrats , your story was lovely. Sad to see you crashed your fiesta.I own a Dec'09 Fiesta ZXI Morello and have had awesome fun owning it so far.Still haven't put up my ownership review!!!
I am not sure the grill costs 44000.Is it a typo?
I would recommend you to go with the insurance. Have claimed it couple of times for repairing the bumper for scratches and once replaced the
rear panel too. Went for insurance both times.
Metro has body shop at Hessaraghatta somewhere..But their service has been quite good so far. No issues, only they don't pamper you like Bimal Maruti does
(wife's car)..
Hope you continue to enjoy the car.drive safe. It's easy to get carried away in
this car. You need all the effort to keep it going below 50 kmph ...I have never got more than 10kpl (tankful-to-tankful) in city so far so you are doing good on the FE front as well.
Have fun,
cheers,
rpmx1000
Thanks rpmx and I agree it's difficult to control the urge to floor the pedal, it is a lot of fun to drive and pulls cleanly, very happy with the car. On FE there are couple of Fiesta owners getting 11-13kmpl (Vnabhi etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I hope that is a typo.

Since your car is less than 6 months old, the depreciation is 0%. After 6 months, its 50% on glass and rubber items and 5-10% on metal items. And on every claim, you will have Rs.1000 excess. Soeverything is in order.
Yeah sorry guys it was a typo it was Rs 4,400 it is indeed .

Thanks for the confirmation MileCruncher
Old 29th November 2010, 16:45   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

A small correction : after 6 months it is 50% on rubber items and 5-10% on metal items. Glass is covered to the extent of 100%, regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Quote:
Thanks rpmx and I agree it's difficult to control the urge to floor the pedal, it is a lot of fun to drive and pulls cleanly, very happy with the car. On FE there are couple of Fiesta owners getting 11-13kmpl (Vnabhi etc.)
Yes,that is correct @carfanatic007. My FE figures were uploaded in my Long-term ownership thread.

I am sorry to learn about you mishap.

Most Viewed