Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2010, 08:52   #46
BHPian

ByDesign,

After about 2000 kms, the FE will improve and you will get 17kmpl (in City - with AC).

Any plans for an highway trip?
Old 31st August 2010, 10:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
ByDesign,

After about 2000 kms, the FE will improve and you will get 17kmpl (in City - with AC).

Any plans for an highway trip?
I'm sure the FE will improve too. No highway trips anytime soon, but eventually yes. I want to take her to the mountains
Old 31st August 2010, 11:34   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I'm sure the FE will improve too. No highway trips anytime soon, but eventually yes. I want to take her to the mountains
Darn! This makes me so jealous! I love the mountains and Delhi is like the perfect location to go off on a drive to the mountains.

Jealousy aside, the Palio will serve you well in the mountains, overall your choice seems to have worked out. Well done. By the way, I liked the alloys too.
Old 31st August 2010, 11:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

In bad Delhi traffic, realistically you can expect 15-17 kpl with AC and 17-20 kpl without AC. Highway FE will not be usually above 20 kpl, unless you're the rare sorts who keeps below 80 kph on highways and is lucky to get jam-free stretches. For all practical purposes, Delhi-Chandigarh, Delhi-Agra and Delhi-Jaipur are now city roads. That's the portion that kills the FE anyways, before you reach anywhere empty. The best I have managed in city is 20.xx and highways is 22.7 kpl.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:11   #50
BHPian

Alloys for my Furnace Red Palio MJD in Blore

Alloys for my Furnace Red Palio MJD in Bangalore and the price.

Your Alloys look neat different happy driving the multijet rocket
Old 31st August 2010, 20:48   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

ByDesign, congratulations on your new Palio. You made a grate choice with Pailo MJD. I am a big fan of Palio, and own a Palio 1.2, and can totally understand your love for Palio.

And you have got great looking alloys! Congratulations for that as well. I guess you are lucky to find nice alloys in 98PCD. A year back, I searched for some good designs in 98PCD, and found pretty much nothing and eventually gave up.

Very good choice in tyres as well. I am also using same tyres but in 13" size (XM1 185/70/R13) for last two years and I am very happy with those. Once you get used to the grip of 185-wide tyres, you will hate to drive anything with less than that width.

Quote:
Coming to the ride quality, it's not royal by any means. This might have something to do with the extremely high and rigid suspension and hard tires. I have been advised to go in for a tire upgrade, and for those of you who have the money and really really care, you should do this. Upgrade to 175's or 185's. I'll eventually upgrade to alloy wheels, but for now I'm happy with this. The gearshift feels strange after the i10, it's not so sure slotted. Sometimes I wonder if I actually engaged the gear or not.
Well, the ride quality is a bit stiff if you are used to some soft riding cars. But I personally like stiff rides, and I believe Palio's ride quality is one of the best among any car under Rs. 10L. It has the right amount of firmness required to provide you a "non-floaty" ride even at very high speed. You will really appreciate the ride quality at high speeds. It is phenomenal!

Now that I am getting used to the ride quality of a SX4, I am appreciating Palio's ride even more!

Quote:
I drove over a rumble strip (triple speed breakers) and a single drop of ice cold water dripped on my left leg. It was definitely water, and I don't know how any of the AC ducts is open to air like that.
All I can say is welcome to the world of Palio. This is a very common experience and get used to seeing some water in your footwell once in a while.

Quote:
When I drive with AC on (which is always to test FE properly), the engine cooling fan comes on after some time, and the engine practically sounds like an Airbus A320 before take off. It's pretty darn loud. Is it supposed to be this loud?
Once again, welcome to Palio! Yup, the fan is VERY loud. I had joked about this in the "hidden features discovery" thread. But seriously, the fan is very loud and sometimes when I am idling at signals, all I can hear is the cooling fan. Even the engine noise itself is less in comparison and sometimes the fan noise is more than the engine noise.

Once again, a great choice and enjoy your car!
Old 31st August 2010, 21:03   #52
BHPian

ByDesign,

Congratulations to you for your prized possession.

There are a few things I noticed in your car:

The cover on the gearstick on page 1 looks very different from the one I have in my SDX. Yours looks quite firm compared to my flexible material. Yours looks neat.

The paint job looks much better than the earlier avatars. What I mean is the gloss and finish. May be someone with a similar colour car will be able to comment.

The alloys look very good. But why there are far too many holes?

The fan noise is inherent in all Palio MJDs. The fan kicks up as soon as the temperature reaches a set point. Actually too loud for such a small car. Also, it will create a certain "tornado" effect (as someone mentioned earlier) when this downward-looking fan blows dust . You will get used to it. The fact is, you will be highly annoyed to see a dust covered car not much after you have given it a thorough cleaning.

FE will definitely improve after around 7.5k or so. Also, you will notice the car becomes a lot more smoother. That is, now if you take your foot off the accelerator, you will notice immediate deceleration. This will disappear after a while. Even the engine noise will subside. I have noticed this in my car.

While going for ICE, try to stick to the stock positions for speakers. This will ensure rattle-free drive later. I am not sure if SDE comes with wiring for ICE.

Getting the side-beading on the doors as you see in SDX will be a good idea. They may prevent some scratches.

If you notice any issues during the first few thousand miles, make a point to get them rectified at the service center. Do not accept their suggestion if they say they will see it later. Once the paid service starts, the rectification becomes an uphill task.

Happy driving.
Old 31st August 2010, 21:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Darn! This makes me so jealous! I love the mountains and Delhi is like the perfect location to go off on a drive to the mountains.

Jealousy aside, the Palio will serve you well in the mountains, overall your choice seems to have worked out. Well done. By the way, I liked the alloys too.
Thanks Amartya, as soon as I get some decent company, I'll go off for a weekend with my palio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
In bad Delhi traffic, realistically you can expect 15-17 kpl with AC and 17-20 kpl without AC. Highway FE will not be usually above 20 kpl, unless you're the rare sorts who keeps below 80 kph on highways and is lucky to get jam-free stretches. For all practical purposes, Delhi-Chandigarh, Delhi-Agra and Delhi-Jaipur are now city roads. That's the portion that kills the FE anyways, before you reach anywhere empty. The best I have managed in city is 20.xx and highways is 22.7 kpl.
Neat stuff. Also, Architect, any comments about the car feeling slower with the new tyres? I know you're riding on the 185/60's too, so is it not just as fast as it used to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarprusty View Post
Alloys for my Furnace Red Palio MJD in Bangalore and the price.

Your Alloys look neat different happy driving the multijet rocket
Thanks amarprusty, the alloys were decided within a few minutes in the shop. And there were at least 10 choices in various size ranges. This one however, just seemed right. Very unconventional and muscly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
ByDesign, congratulations on your new Palio. You made a grate choice with Pailo MJD. I am a big fan of Palio, and own a Palio 1.2, and can totally understand your love for Palio.

And you have got great looking alloys! Congratulations for that as well. I guess you are lucky to find nice alloys in 98PCD. A year back, I searched for some good designs in 98PCD, and found pretty much nothing and eventually gave up.

Very good choice in tyres as well. I am also using same tyres but in 13" size (XM1 185/70/R13) for last two years and I am very happy with those. Once you get used to the grip of 185-wide tyres, you will hate to drive anything with less than that width.

Well, the ride quality is a bit stiff if you are used to some soft riding cars. But I personally like stiff rides, and I believe Palio's ride quality is one of the best among any car under Rs. 10L. It has the right amount of firmness required to provide you a "non-floaty" ride even at very high speed. You will really appreciate the ride quality at high speeds. It is phenomenal!

Now that I am getting used to the ride quality of a SX4, I am appreciating Palio's ride even more!

All I can say is welcome to the world of Palio. This is a very common experience and get used to seeing some water in your footwell once in a while.

Once again, welcome to Palio! Yup, the fan is VERY loud. I had joked about this in the "hidden features discovery" thread. But seriously, the fan is very loud and sometimes when I am idling at signals, all I can hear is the cooling fan. Even the engine noise itself is less in comparison and sometimes the fan noise is more than the engine noise.

Once again, a great choice and enjoy your car!
Thanks very much for your detailed reply.
With regard to the comment about less choice in alloy wheels for 98 PCD config, you could try Sai Mag Wheels in Delhi. Fantastic collection all round. The water dripping thing has gone, so I'm happy about that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
ByDesign,

Congratulations to you for your prized possession.

There are a few things I noticed in your car:

The cover on the gearstick on page 1 looks very different from the one I have in my SDX. Yours looks quite firm compared to my flexible material. Yours looks neat.

The paint job looks much better than the earlier avatars. What I mean is the gloss and finish. May be someone with a similar colour car will be able to comment.

The alloys look very good. But why there are far too many holes?

The fan noise is inherent in all Palio MJDs. The fan kicks up as soon as the temperature reaches a set point. Actually too loud for such a small car. Also, it will create a certain "tornado" effect (as someone mentioned earlier) when this downward-looking fan blows dust . You will get used to it. The fact is, you will be highly annoyed to see a dust covered car not much after you have given it a thorough cleaning.

FE will definitely improve after around 7.5k or so. Also, you will notice the car becomes a lot more smoother. That is, now if you take your foot off the accelerator, you will notice immediate deceleration. This will disappear after a while. Even the engine noise will subside. I have noticed this in my car.

While going for ICE, try to stick to the stock positions for speakers. This will ensure rattle-free drive later. I am not sure if SDE comes with wiring for ICE.

Getting the side-beading on the doors as you see in SDX will be a good idea. They may prevent some scratches.

If you notice any issues during the first few thousand miles, make a point to get them rectified at the service center. Do not accept their suggestion if they say they will see it later. Once the paid service starts, the rectification becomes an uphill task.

Happy driving.
Hello and thanks for the comments.
  1. I wanted a nice wrapped gear knob. The one I have in my car is pretty old looking and really springy to the touch. But thanks to the dealerships poor follow up skills, I fortunately or unfortunately didn't get the other gear wrap!
  2. I love the alloy wheels!
  3. I've already installed the ICE, top to bottom, please refer to the link below for more details on my complete setup and it's advantages and disadvantages.
  4. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...mjd-delhi.html
Old 31st August 2010, 22:22   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The water dripping thing has gone, so I'm happy about that now.
That is great. But don't panic if that happens again. I have had occasions when my footwell was totally wet due to water dripping in. It happens more often in summers.

But whatever problems you face, I am sure you will enjoy the car when it is running problem-free. And those precious moments are priceless! and considering that you got this beauty for only 3.7L, you have got an amazing deal!

You have listed several problems/issues. Some of these may be minor, some of these may not be. My advice is to take her on a nice highway. Experience the awesome ride and handling. Listen to the MJD (who cares for the ICE?). Enjoy the "A320" sound of the fan. Trust me, it is totally worth it. You will forget all the problems

P.S. Talking of the sound of the fan, I actually found it reassuring, and enjoy it. After going through a couple of overheating experiences, I am thankful whenever I hear the roaring sound of the fan. I am restless when I don't hear it. I am almost addicted to that sound now.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 31st August 2010 at 22:35.
Old 16th September 2010, 14:23   #55
BHPian

***1000KM Update***

Actually, I've crossed 1200km but thought I'd take 1000 as the first milestone. She's riding exceedingly well, nothing too different from what it was in my earlier posts. Let me just focus on the interesting points.
  1. The so called 'alternator whine' from the speakers is pretty irritating. I can't hear it when the volume's up (which is pretty much most of the time), but otherwise. I've been told it's to do with the amp earthing. I'll have to look into it.
  2. The HU rattles like crazy in 3rd and 4th gear in a certain rev range. Again, from what I've found out from friends etc. is that the Palio's HU slot isn't very good for tight fits.
  3. I thought I heard the metallic bearing scraping sound again when I was driving at 80+ kmph when I steered slightly left, but when I tried again, I didn't hear anything. I'll have to pay more attention the next time.
  4. FE seems to look good. On the first full tank, I managed a decent 15kmpl with 100% AC in mixed traffic conditions, mostly bad. Now it seems to look better.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:14   #56
BHPian

Palio Stile MJD [Horn & Central Locking]

It's been raining cats and dogs in Delhi of late. And driving in the rain, thunderstorms, blizzards etc. has been great fun in my new car.

This morning however, as I was driving to work, my horn died. It wouldn't work wherever I tried on the steering wheel. My music was running at the time and everything else was fine. Then 2 minutes later, the horn was working again. Then again the horn died. When I thumped the steering wheel with my fist, the horn started working again! (loose connection, but where?).

Then when I got out of the car to park in office, the central locking wasn't working. When I opened and closed the driver side lock 2 to 3 times, on the last try, the central locking worked. But again, in the end it wouldn't work after I got out, so I had to manually lock all the doors.

A small point to mention about yesterday was, the wipers were working at awkward speeds at incorrect positions. i.e. it would be really fast in the slow position, and when I turned it off, it actually stopped moving in the middle of the windscreen! I had to actually time my stopping the wiper blades when it was at the bottom position. Again, 10 minutes later, they worked fine.

Any inputs guys? Some points to note are

Mileage - 1450km on the odometer
ICE installed - Subwoofer, amplifier, etc. (see my garage)
No other problems like this encountered before.

Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 21:51   #57
BHPian

***1500KM UPDATE***

The good part
  1. Finished my full tank again. Fuel efficiency this time was a cool 15.85 kmpl. AC was 100% on during running, and traffic jams were massive this month due to the commonwealth games and major rains and flooding in Delhi. Im hardly spending Rs. 1800 a month using this car.
  2. Car is as sturdy as she ever was. Even more so with the upsize tyres.
  3. AC works super chilling. No issues.
  4. Wheel squeaking sound which I listed earlier is gone.
  5. I'm extremely comfortable driving the car. Completely at home with it. Driving my i10 asta after this is a totally different experience both good and bad.
Now for the problems aka the downers

1. HU of the music setup is rattling like mad. But I've figured out a fix. Come this weekend and I'll blue tack the rim (which is what rattles) and it'll be fine.
  2. My horn and my central locking seem to keep working and not working sometimes. It's like this. When the horn doesn't work, the central locking, which is manual, doesn't work either. Then I hit the center of the steering wheel two or three times HARD with my hand and the horn starts working. Along with this, the central locking also starts working. Strange huh? There's no trouble starting the car though.
More updates later as my baby grows older!
Old 29th September 2010, 14:58   #58
Senior - BHPian

Your experience with the tank has been going excellently. I too love the alloys on your tank. Do you think these alloys would be available in Bangalore too? Apart from a slight sluggishness and a feel of a rigid ride, are there any other issues with upsizing to 14 inch?

I bought a used 2008 Palio SDX last week and intend to install alloys and new tires in some time. My car story goes here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-my-life.html
Old 29th September 2010, 15:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:
My horn and my central locking seem to keep working and not working sometimes. It's like this. When the horn doesn't work, the central locking, which is manual, doesn't work either. Then I hit the center of the steering wheel two or three times HARD with my hand and the horn starts working. Along with this, the central locking also starts working. Strange huh? There's no trouble starting the car though.[/list]More updates later as my baby grows older!
There must be some loose coupling somewhere. In my case the power windows, wiper motor and blower had stopped working at the same time due to this.
Old 30th September 2010, 10:20   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Your experience with the tank has been going excellently. I too love the alloys on your tank. Do you think these alloys would be available in Bangalore too? Apart from a slight sluggishness and a feel of a rigid ride, are there any other issues with upsizing to 14 inch?

I bought a used 2008 Palio SDX last week and intend to install alloys and new tires in some time. My car story goes here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-my-life.html
First, congrats on your prized catch! I got the alloys from Sai mag wheels in Delhi. If you want I can give you the make and the model number exactly and you could make some inquiries in bengaluru. The car was extremely fast and accelerated much more easily on the stock tyres. Thats the only difference. It just feels a lot more stable now around corners and a hell of a lot smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
There must be some loose coupling somewhere. In my case the power windows, wiper motor and blower had stopped working at the same time due to this.
Can I just open the bonnet and see the couplers somewhere? If so, where? This problem is quite irritating. I don't like driving with unlocked doors, and sometimes you just HAVE to honk to avoid damaging your ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks