Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2010, 20:46   #1
BHPian

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

Good evening folks. Some of you might recognize me from here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...k-dilemma.html

It started off as a hatchback dilemma, on which I spent weeks researching online, reading reviews, of course T-BHP, speaking to people and generally not listening to my heart. Apart from what the majority said, I ended up booking one of the last new Palio Stile MJD's in the country. If you read the first few posts of the thread marked above (hatchback dilemma), you'd see at once that my heart fell for the Palio the second I saw her.

I took the delivery yesterday, even though it was scheduled as the day before (Friday the 13th turned out unlucky for some reason and I couldn't make it to the dealership as I was stuck in a meeting). Saturday was pouring, heavy rain ensured that my baby was drenched and dripping while I sat nervously in the showroom talking to Architect from T-BHP about owning my new beauty and other tips and tricks. The on road price for this beauty was negotiated to about 3.7 Lacs all inclusive.

Two hours later, she was ready to rock and roll, and off I went. My driver was in my accent crdi (done 1.25 lac kms and still smooth as butter) in front, and I was driving with great restraint behind. I filled up about 15 litres of diesel and trundled off home. An interesting point to note is, after my i10 1.2 Kappa Asta, this was a whole different ball game. The Accent crdi resembled the drive a lot more, understandably though as they're both common rail diesel engine powered vehicles. My Stile chilled me completely even in the Delhi heat and humidity (heavy rains remember?). The car grunted on the roads and I took great care to keep the revs below 2k, and shifting at 2k as she seemed unhappy if I shifted at lower revs.

The ease with which the car handles in traffic is a sure shot winner in the long run. All you need is some tender clutch lovin' and she rolls forward confidently. I even slipped the car in 4th at 20 kmph, and there was no fuss whatsoever. I drove home and decided to give her a rest.

Early the next day (i.e. today), was the day my parents were returning, and I decided to take my brand new car as a warm surprise to pick them up from the international airport. The drive was complete paradise with wonderful wide open roads. The new T3 terminal is a pleasure to drive up to, a nominal toll charge of Rs. 13 and you can drive down these highways to heaven. Now, since I had some time to kill, the flight hadn't landed yet, immigration, baggage claim etc, I pulled over at a petrol pump to get some food and managed to click a few pics of the car.

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815104806437null.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815104817315null.jpg

*Note* - There was some kind of fluid dripping on the ground after the 22 odd km drive to the airport so I sort of panicked and called Architect. After some inputs, I found out it was water from the AC which is a perfectly normal thing as there's condensation on the AC ducts.

My parents had travelled abroad, so they were carrying a rather large suitcase and a slightly smaller one, both of which sat comfortably in the large boot! I can't imagine this happening in the i10. Well, moving on, as we were driving home, my parents were comfy in the back seat, but my mother kept telling me how plain it looked from inside, and how 'cheap' it looked. I took her comments with a good heart obviously but I did playfully argue with her as well. She was right though, the interiors are blissfully plain, but solid nonetheless.

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815131944159.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815132045758.jpg

I love driving barefoot by the way. I'm giving serious thought about starting a 'I Drive Barefoot' club on T-BHP, any takers?

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815131935472.jpg

Coming to the ride quality, it's not royal by any means. This might have something to do with the extremely high and rigid suspension and hard tires. I have been advised to go in for a tire upgrade, and for those of you who have the money and really really care, you should do this. Upgrade to 175's or 185's. I'll eventually upgrade to alloy wheels, but for now I'm happy with this. The gearshift feels strange after the i10, it's not so sure slotted. Sometimes I wonder if I actually engaged the gear or not.

The SDE model that I got comes with front power windows, power steering, cadaver chilling AC, fog lamps, and a tank like build quality. So once I got home the first thing was to decorate my baby!

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815130029648newdel.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815125953484.jpg

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-2010081513451726newdelh.jpg

*Note to Moderators and Staff* - Several of the stickers arrived in damaged condition guys :( I've sent a message to staff, but haven't been attended to yet. Thanks

I filled up the tank today so calculations for in city FE are presently underway, and I will update this thread as and when it happens. The car does not come with an audio system, so I will be installing one when I get some time off work too. To wrap up, it's been a wonderful wonderful journey getting this car and I'm extremely grateful to my friends on T-BHP for helping me arrive here. God bless and ByDesign out!

Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD-20100815130111263newdel.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Please click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. The pics have been manually moved over to our server for you this time. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th August 2010 at 16:44. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
ByDesign is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2010, 20:57   #2
BHPian

Congratulations ByDesign!
I remember seeing your post and used to have a look quite often on your which car query. Good to see you with your Ride.
Wish you many happy miles.
Old 15th August 2010, 20:58   #3
BHPian

Congratulations ByDesign, Fantastic purchase. 3.7 lacs all inclusive for this Beauty is simply delicious. But what about the resale values now in the market???? Ah, thats a different thing. Post some more pics please. Keep updating the thread with ownership experiences, Friend.

Enjoy, Drive Safe .

Edit: Me too in the Bare-Foot Club .
Old 15th August 2010, 21:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Palio! Awesome car it is.

Wishing you many many happy miles with it!
Old 15th August 2010, 21:22   #5
BHPian

3.7 on road! That's a super deal dude for this beauty. I also love the looks of the Palio Stile, though my fav is the dark red shade.

Enjoy your drive. And by the way, I'd also love to be in the "I drive barefoot" club.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there , ByDesign. Congrats again.

The ride quality should be good. Low speed ride will be a bit stiff, but as you gain speed the ride quality will significantly improve, smothering potholes and broken roads - this is true for all Fiats.

Did you check the tyre pressure ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 15th August 2010 at 21:28.
Old 15th August 2010, 21:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations man
take good care of your baby. Man you are lucky to get one so early i am waiting for mine and its killing me
Old 15th August 2010, 21:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Had been waiting for this thread! Nice writeup ByDesign. Do post lot more pictures and keep describing your experience as and when possible. Happy times ahead!
Old 15th August 2010, 21:40   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Nice pics there , ByDesign. Congrats again.

The ride quality should be good. Low speed ride will be a bit stiff, but as you gain speed the ride quality will significantly improve, smothering potholes and broken roads - this is true for all Fiats.

Did you check the tyre pressure ?
No there was no one at the tire pressure place in the pump. August 15th I guess. Will check it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Congratulations man
take good care of your baby. Man you are lucky to get one so early i am waiting for mine and its killing me
Will do man, good luck for yours!

PS: For all those who liked the I Drive Barefoot club, India idea. I've started the club on T-BHP here!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...foot-club.html

Will keep you guys posted!

PS2: Thanks for everyone's warm wishes!
Old 15th August 2010, 22:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I love driving barefoot by the way. I'm giving serious thought about starting a 'I Drive Barefoot' club on T-BHP, any takers?
I will be first to join.
Now let me search if there is a "I hate colors channel" thread on team-bhp.
Old 15th August 2010, 23:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Good! All's well that ends well!

By the way, I forgot to tell you about a very important accessory for the SDE version: the left ORVM. Get it ASAP, it will cost you around Rs 1600/- for the entire set-up.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I will be first to join.
Now let me search if there is a "I hate colors channel" thread on team-bhp.
Whoops, my bad folks. Clubs aren't allowed within these premises, as explained to me by a kind staff member. So no barefoot club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Good! All's well that ends well!

By the way, I forgot to tell you about a very important accessory for the SDE version: the left ORVM. Get it ASAP, it will cost you around Rs 1600/- for the entire set-up.
Architect, thanks for the support
Furthermore, I never ever use the left ORVM, even on the accent and our i10, I always fold it in. I just the driver side one and the one inside.

PS: After slapping on the T-BHP stickers, I've got people dipping their lights at me sometimes!
Old 16th August 2010, 11:15   #13
BHPian

Congratulation on your new car.

Palio MJD is a wonderful car- get the Console wooden finish done-if you want betterment in the interiors.
I got the same done in My MJD- PM Me in case you need further details.

Enjoy your ride.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
Old 16th August 2010, 11:21   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the new acquisition BD!

I am curious why anyone would choose a car that's retired over a new one. Do you really like the Palio that much or did you just get an irresistable deal?
Old 16th August 2010, 19:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congratulations on the new acquisition BD!

I am curious why anyone would choose a car that's retired over a new one. Do you really like the Palio that much or did you just get an irresistable deal?
You should his thread "hatchback dilemma",that will answer your question.He was absolutely smitten by the Palio.Love at first sight

And i will say this it takes guts to stand by your love like he did and got the palio.Other than a killer pricing for the 1.3 engine,beautiful looks,good build quality and "chiller ac" sealed the deal!

Most Viewed