Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 21:10   #211
BHPian

Re: Medium Grey Tank - New Palio Stile 1.3 MJD

WARNING: Long post

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik View Post
It took some time for me to go through the thread but a very informative one i must say.I need help here.Some issues with my palio mjd sdx.
Thank you. I'm trying to keep it as detailed as possible for other Fiat owners like me. Or possibly even for other 1.3 multijet drivers (swifts, lineas, manzas etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorquetik
1) Very irritating rattle from tail door area. it sounds like number plate rattle but on checking for the same it turned out not to be the one.
See if your seatbelt clip is in contact with the inner vehicle body. This happened with me once and all I had to do was stuff the rear belts nicely into the gap between the seat and the sides.

Quote:
2) Head unit rattle while pulling the car from low RPM in higher gears.I want a permanent fix for this.
I tried and tried and tried and still haven't found a fix for it yet. You could try making a thin layer of blue tack between the HU frame and the HU itself. This helped for some time. I know how frustrating this can be. It gives a cheap feel to anyone sitting in the car and the driver too.

Quote:
4) This is the most important one.Car is returning FE of 20kmpl on highway run without AC at constant speeds of 80-90. After touching the 100kmph mark engine begins to struggle and with great difficulty it manages to touch the 130 mark completely running out of breath.With the AC on , engine is just able to touch 120 mark and is returning 15.5 kmpl on pushing it to speeds beyond 100 kmph.
Get the throttle body cleaned. And depending on how much your car has run, you might want to get your fuel filter changed too. Another idea that comes to mind is to check the intake manifold and the air filter. When was the last time you got it changed?

Quote:
5) The wheels do not lock even if i stand on the brake pedal
Leakage/wearing out of hydraulic fluid from your master/slave brake cylinder. Get that checked. If not, then your break shoes/pads have worn out. At 42k kms it's possible. Did you get your brakes checked at all?

Back to the ol' girl.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 41.66 L
Trip distance - 808 kms
Odo reading - 29,194 kms

F.E. - 19.39 kmpl (gotta love winter!)

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 43.54 L
Trip distance - 841 kms
Odo reading - 30,035 kms (crossed 30k!)

F.E. - 19.31 kmpl (nice constant FE means nice constant driving style!)

***SERVICING DONE AT 30,035 kms***
***LOCATION - HIM MOTORS, PATPARGANJ INDUSTRIAL AREA, DELHI***

I will try and sum this up as well as possible. This contains important information for any Fiat owner thinking of going to HIM motors for their servicing. I acknowledge and understand that everyone's experience differs, and this is purely my own experience.

I reached early Saturday morning. There weren't too many cars there, but no service adviser turned up for a nice long time. The first thing the service adviser told me was that all the Fiat team had left and there was no one to service the car. When I told him it was a simple paid service, he said the TATA guys would do it. I also mentioned that my clutch felt funny and that the car wasn't feeling even one thirds as torquey as she usually did, i.e. the car struggled to move without complimenting the clutch release with the gas pedal. The car was shuddering in first gear on simply leaving the clutch slowly. He promptly passed this off as a simple air filter problem and that it would go away. Halfway into the day, while I sat in a dilapidated customer's 'lounge' watching an obviously fixed review between the XUV 500 and the new safari storme, I was told that my front break pads were broken and need replacement. Obviously they didn't have any in stock and needed to get it from some other warehouse, which was obviously located in another universe, which obviously meant I had to leave the car their overnight. I took an auto and pushed off. It cost me almost 200 Rupees to get home.

The next day, when I went to collect my car, it was absolutely FILTHY. HIM motors has pathetic cleaning quality, and due to the lack of nearby service centers for me, I am somewhat compelled to go to these people. It's service centers like these that gain a bad name for an entire brand. The lad who 'cleans' the cars was quickly ordered to slap a 'kapda' around the car and it was delivered to me.

FYI everyone, the service came to almost 7,500 Rs for fresh engine oil, new brake pads, oil filter, fuel filter, and air filter, not to forget labor costs. Brake pads are quite expensive just so that everyone knows, it's around 2300 for a pair for this car.

My clutch problem was also not fixed and as fed up as I was, I quietly drove away. Through the kind folks I know in the Fiat automotive community, I quickly organized another trip to the brand new Kashyap Fiat, located far far away in Noida Phase II. They were supposed to be pretty good. Now moving on to the next tank fill.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 40.75 L
Trip distance - 809 kms
Odo reading - 30,844 kms

F.E. - 19.85 kmpl (almost 20 kmpl!!! Also note that my mysterious clutch problem hasn't dented the FE in any way)

***REPAIR AND CHECKUP FOR CLUTCH PROBLEM***
***LOCATION - KASHYAP FIAT, C 18, NOIDA PHASE II***

The place is almost 35 kms from where I live, plus with my super hectic office schedule, I had to apply for half a day's leave to get there. The service center is spic and span, brand new actually. It was heart warming to see Mr. Sharma there, along with the old Fiat crew from Samyak/Elegant motors ---> HIM Motors. Mr. Sharma test drove my car with me, told me the clutch would have to be opened up. Probable causes for the shudder, hard to slot gears, etc. might be a clutch plate issue along with a faulty slave cylinder.

It was a worn out clutch pressure plate at the end, 2 days later I might add. Fiat global coolly denied my extended warranty claim for the clutch assembly. I don't know whether to fight it out and go through the fine print of my extended warranty booklet. Again, spare time is extremely hard to come by for me. I'm going to pick up my car tomorrow morning. I hope she's ok. I really miss that torquey spirited acceleration in all gears.

The entire clutch kit has been replaced, as well as the bearings. I've also asked for small miscellaneous problems to be fixed, such as the stubborn to open rear doors, and creaky front left suspension (audible on bumps). Wheels have been aligned, and paid washing top to bottom. I'm wondering if this new Kashyap Fiat is all worth it.

I'll probably celebrate with Kiss's newest album on the drive back to office if all goes well!
ByDesign is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 07:39   #212
Senior - BHPian

@antorquetik,

Another possible reason behind tail door rattle could be loose locking mechanism, I believe they can easily adjust (tighten) it. I got it done once while servicing and the problem was permanently solved.

Dashboard rattle is really a nagging issue, difficult to locate and fix as it would need opening up the dashboard itself, have been living with it so far. It need not be head unit, in my case it seems to originate from somewhere in the middle of dashboard (even before installing a HU) and the odometer (after faulty one was replaced). Too bad, I avoid accelerating at lower RPM and shift to lower gears instead!

By the way, has anyone been able to get hold of service manual for this car?
Old 27th March 2013, 17:09   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
By the way, has anyone been able to get hold of service manual for this car?
I got it when I purchased the car.

Car's been running fine since the clutch replacement. I do notice she's rather sluggish of late though. Isn't as crispy while accelerating. Also had my first (and hopefully last) accident with a bus. Got the rear right side pretty badly damaged. Grazing, massive paint smears, rear right door dented inwards pretty badly, and some tire alignment issues too. Apart from the super long drawn police procedure to sue the driver of the bus (govt. state transport bus), there's a mild feeling of enlightenment.

The car took the hit pretty well I suppose, could have been much worse and all that sort of thing. No injuries to anyone and I will not comment on the efficiency of the Delhi Police right now.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 38.58 L
Trip distance - 769 kms
Odo reading - 31,613 kms

F.E. - 19.93 kmpl

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.45 L
Trip distance - 727 kms
Odo reading - 32,340 kms

F.E. - 19.41 kmpl

Nice two series of FE's there. The car's never failed to perform on that front. I now need to get the car's dents and scratches done up. Initial inquiries suggest less than 8k so will keep the thread posted on that. Plus AC usage has begun so I'm expecting a drop in FE henceforth.

Also, I'm planning on purchasing my first SUV soon. And alongside also get some heavy mods done on my Palio. New alloys, CF wraps, headlights with LED's, projectors and what not, and possibly an interior makeover.
ByDesign is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 11:00   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I got it when I purchased the car.
That is the Owner's Manual, not the Service Manual. The Service Manual is available only with the Authorised Service Centre or the Manufacturer, unless one is able to obtain it from either of these two sources.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:07   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
That is the Owner's Manual, not the Service Manual. The Service Manual is available only with the Authorised Service Centre or the Manufacturer, unless one is able to obtain it from either of these two sources.
I've got the owner's handbook and that other booklet with the service coupons and the service schedule. Isn't that the service manual?
Old 28th March 2013, 11:15   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've got the owner's handbook and that other booklet with the service coupons and the service schedule. Isn't that the service manual?
No. The service manual is a fat book that tells you how to service, repair, replace the car and its parts and how to troubleshoot most of the common problems.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2013, 19:29   #217
BHPian

Can anyone update me with a 50k km service?
I am going for a 50k service this week.planning to give the car at RDC chennai.
Want to know how deep a hole is my battle tank's service going to make through my pocket.
Old 27th April 2013, 21:11   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
No. The service manual is a fat book that tells you how to service, repair, replace the car and its parts and how to troubleshoot most of the common problems.
Ah. No, I haven't got that.

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 38.32 L
Trip distance - 660 kms
Odo reading - 33,000 kms

F.E. - 17.22 kmpl (not entirely accurate because the auto cut-off didn't work at the filling station, and a bit of fuel poured out before the attendant rushed over and manually shut off the nozzle)

Sudden drop in FE. Hello summer and 100 % AC usage!

***UPDATE***

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 36.11 L
Trip distance - 610 kms
Odo reading - 33,610 kms

F.E. - 16.89 kmpl

I need to start getting used to these summer readings. Plus the car feels a little sluggish. it's not time for her next service, but I'm wondering if I should go anyway and get the air filter changed, probably flush the engine, let me see.

Got the complete right rear side of the car dented and painted. Shining like new now. Also got the entire rear bumper painted and the rear skirt re-fitted with a new coat of paint. Splendid job indeed courtesy Sharma Automobiles in Mayur Vihar, next to the Gurdudwara (opp. the old location of Gyro Automotive Essentials). Total cost INR 6,300, and 300 was for washing!
Old 18th July 2013, 21:46   #219
BHPian

***UPDATE*** #1

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 39.33 L
Trip distance - 654 kms
Odo reading - 34,264 kms

F.E. - 16.62 kmpl

***UPDATE*** #2

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 36.87 L
Trip distance - 679 kms
Odo reading - 34,943 kms

F.E. - 18.41 kmpl

***UPDATE*** #3

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 37.03 L
Trip distance - 600 kms
Odo reading - 35,543 kms

F.E. - 16.20 kmpl

***UPDATE*** #4

***TANK FILL***

Fuel volume - 36.84 L
Trip distance - 603 kms
Odo reading - 36,146 kms

F.E. - 16.36 kmpl

Decent FE consistently with 100% AC usage. Haven't updated this thread in a while, due to the excitement about my new Bolero ZLX. Water seems to be leaking into my front passenger footwell. The local service center tried cleaning the muck inside the hood, under the windshield etc. but to no avail. Not sure what to do. It's a real pain in the monsoon.
Old 9th August 2013, 13:50   #220
BHPian

***UPDATE***
Major water leak inside the car into the passenger footwell. I can not for the life of me understand where the water is coming from. The history of this problem so far -

1. Noticed a nice puddle in the co-driver footwell a year ago. Went to a mechanic who removed the wiper assembly, i.e. wiper motor, front windshield plastic grill, etc. and removed a huge amount of muck that had clogged the drain channels. Cost - Rs. 250 for labor. Said the problem should be fixed.

2. The problem seemed to have been handled. However next monsoon, there was a puddle once again, this time in the left rear footwell as well. This time gave it to a known competent mechanic who had all the carpeting removed, dried, and re-fitted, as well as reinforced all the door and side beading of the car. Said the leak won't be a problem any more. Cost - Rs. 2,000 for labor.

3. 3 days later (present day), all four footwells are soaked. This is during peak monsoon in Delhi (i.e. July - August 2013). I'm at a complete loss. The mechanic who did the re-beading doesn't really work on Fiats so he doesn't know what the cause could be, but he's routinely troubleshooting the issue to come up with a solution. He said he'd remove the carpets and do the whole drying shinbang for free.

4. It's not the AC drain or anything because that duct is firmly fitted to the floor of the car under the dash. In fact, there's no leakage during AC usage. The water from the AC steadily flows out. The footwells fill up during periods of heavy rain when the car is at a standstill.

5. I called Kashyap motors (Mr. Sharma) who said I should give the car to them so they can check what the deal is. The only problem is, I'm so tired of troubleshooting this problem with other mechanics, and now Kashyap motors is going to go through the same process of elimination and charge me again for the labor.

6. The mechanic from point no. 2 said we'd have to remove the dashboard to see if the leak is happening from somewhere there. This is going to cost me another Rs. 3,000 minimum. He's not fleecing me, because he's tried investigating the other probable causes first before resorting to open the dashboard.

If anyone has any inputs, I'd be very grateful. I googled this problem (duster, palios etc.) and its mostly been AC duct leakage or beading problems. I will try to go to Kashyap motors tomorrow and explain the problem properly and see what they say. I hear they've opened shop in Okhla as well.

Thanks.

*Note: The front windshield was replaced about 2 years ago, but Mr. Sharma tells me that it shouldn't be the reason for water leakage as the windshield was fitted properly by them.

Last edited by ByDesign : 9th August 2013 at 13:51.
Old 9th August 2013, 14:05   #221
Senior - BHPian

Similar pinch - rain water seeps into cabin (Driver's side) from behind the dash board.

Opened the wipers, plastic cowl, cleaned the muck, pressure washed the drains.
Result: rain water still seeps inside.

Let me know - if you come out with a solution.
Old 9th August 2013, 17:17   #222
BHPian

Quote:
***UPDATE***
Major water leak inside the car into the passenger footwell. I can not for the life of me understand where the water is coming from. The history of this problem so far -

1. Noticed a nice puddle in the co-driver footwell a year ago. Went to a mechanic who removed the wiper assembly, i.e. wiper motor, front windshield plastic grill, etc. and removed a huge amount of muck that had clogged the drain channels. Cost - Rs. 250 for labor. Said the problem should be fixed.

2. The problem seemed to have been handled. However next monsoon, there was a puddle once again, this time in the left rear footwell as well. This time gave it to a known competent mechanic who had all the carpeting removed, dried, and re-fitted, as well as reinforced all the door and side beading of the car. Said the leak won't be a problem any more. Cost - Rs. 2,000 for labor.

3. 3 days later (present day), all four footwells are soaked. This is during peak monsoon in Delhi (i.e. July - August 2013). I'm at a complete loss. The mechanic who did the re-beading doesn't really work on Fiats so he doesn't know what the cause could be, but he's routinely troubleshooting the issue to come up with a solution. He said he'd remove the carpets and do the whole drying shinbang for free.

4. It's not the AC drain or anything because that duct is firmly fitted to the floor of the car under the dash. In fact, there's no leakage during AC usage. The water from the AC steadily flows out. The footwells fill up during periods of heavy rain when the car is at a standstill.

5. I called Kashyap motors (Mr. Sharma) who said I should give the car to them so they can check what the deal is. The only problem is, I'm so tired of troubleshooting this problem with other mechanics, and now Kashyap motors is going to go through the same process of elimination and charge me again for the labor.

6. The mechanic from point no. 2 said we'd have to remove the dashboard to see if the leak is happening from somewhere there. This is going to cost me another Rs. 3,000 minimum. He's not fleecing me, because he's tried investigating the other probable causes first before resorting to open the dashboard.

If anyone has any inputs, I'd be very grateful. I googled this problem (duster, palios etc.) and its mostly been AC duct leakage or beading problems. I will try to go to Kashyap motors tomorrow and explain the problem properly and see what they say. I hear they've opened shop in Okhla as well.

Thanks.

*Note: The front windshield was replaced about 2 years ago, but Mr. Sharma tells me that it shouldn't be the reason for water leakage as the windshield was fitted properly by them.

Had the same problem with my stile 1.1 and the local mechanic cleaned the drain pipe.
The problem cropped up again and the senior mech at the local ASS took a look. Its the ice formation the the pipes and as he says it only happens in monsoon. The drain pipe is working well with water coming out of it.

Well why I trust his diagnoses is cos of the fact that I am running my car without a thermostat (it wasnt available with the service center).
Old 10th August 2013, 12:59   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Had the same problem with my stile 1.1 and the local mechanic cleaned the drain pipe.
The problem cropped up again and the senior mech at the local ASS took a look. Its the ice formation the the pipes and as he says it only happens in monsoon. The drain pipe is working well with water coming out of it.

Well why I trust his diagnoses is cos of the fact that I am running my car without a thermostat (it wasnt available with the service center).
I don't fully understand this. The ice formation happens during monsoon, and that melts and seeps into the footwells? This then should be a universal problem with all Stiles during monsoon right?

Also, even both my rear passenger footwells are wet! How can that much water go to the back? If you see point 4. in my post, I've said the water fills up when the car isn't running for a few days and stands in the heavy rain. Clearly, it can't be an AC ice problem.

I've given the car to the ASS, let's see what they report.
ByDesign is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:33   #224
Senior - BHPian

Do you park your car under a tree? It is the leaves that fall on the car and enter through the small panel gaps causing the drain to get blocked and eventually rust the body. I am saying this as My zen used to be parked under tree and since last year there was a leakage. We got this fixed by opening the dash and were surprised to see how much damage these leaves can cause! Half of the dash was eaten by rust.

Damage - 13,000 including labour and parts.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:35   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Similar pinch - rain water seeps into cabin (Driver's side) from behind the dash board.

Opened the wipers, plastic cowl, cleaned the muck, pressure washed the drains.
Result: rain water still seeps inside.

Let me know - if you come out with a solution.
I have exactly the same problem.The water is leaking inside the cabin from driver side.i suppose it flows along the length of A-pillar or comes from the front firewall.
I just noticed the firewall facing engine compartment is catching rust above the brake booster.
I think because of water entering the cabin the wiper relay gets wet during the rains and the int speed and sweep operation cease to work.
I am afraid if this water entry into the cabin is wetting the fuse box, it is a potential fire hazard.

Most Viewed