Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 06:45   #1

Toyota Prius - test drive report

Friends,

Got a chance to drive the Toyota Hybrid Prius. When I got in to the car my mind was with full emotions as I was driving a hybrid for the first time and had lot of doubts as well. Believe me after the drive now I am so confident of the technology.

This car is features packed and most of those are really new to me like head up display, hybrid monitoring systems, fuel economy monitoring system/graph, joy stick gear leaver, and even the opening and closing of the A/C vents are awesome. You feel like you are sitting in a captain seat of a latest air craft with the display around you.

The car has a push button start and I didn't realize the car is started until the sales person told me so. There is no noise of the engine and later I got a clarification that the car is currently working on the electric motor. Wow...this is really great..

We started the drive and this was in Eco mode!! The pick up was not that high and as car reached a certain distance the 1.8 litter petrol engine started his action. The Car had caught its movement um and the steering was very light to handle on the same time it was giving me a feeling of driving a heavy car as well.

Then the sales officer advised me to change the mode to power mode and this is a feather touch button. The power delivered by the car was really great and felt like driving a sports car.

In the Ride & Handling department it was feeling good and the braking also perfect. As you put you feet on the brake pedal the regenerative braking system charges the battery and the same is displayed on the monitor.

My biggest doubt was in the ground clearance and to my surprise it didn't touch any of those(we had 4 of those to cover). I think Toyota have really thought of this before introduction of Prius to India.

The overall feel is very good...

Cheers...
jithesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2010, 00:21   #2
BHPian

Hi jithesh thanks for the test drive report on Prius.Where did you drive the car?Please post some pictures.
Old 22nd August 2010, 00:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice one Jitesh! You're tempting me to put out an ownership report
Old 22nd August 2010, 10:48   #4
BHPian

Hey anekho, that would be a real useful report. A hybrid car is a real rare sight on Indian roads, and an ownership report will really help everyone understand what it's really all about!

Hope you're tempted enough
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:52   #5
BHPian

Nice review Jithesh. The Prius is indeed a very competent vehicle. I used a rental Prius in CA for about 2 months back in 2008. Easily one of the most well sorted out cars in the US market back then.

The cockpit feels very different with the large center screen dominating other dials. A sophisticated mechanism helps you track exact fuel consumption, and how much of the electric drivetrain is powering your drive...techie delight! Very easy to drive, perfect for a daily runabout, though one felt the need for more grunt on the freeways.

No wonder this has been a hot seller despite offering Corolla like dynamics and space at a premium in the U.S.

Both Toyota and Honda do not seem to understand or worry about charging unreasonable premiums for their products in India. At a price point under Rs 20 lacs this would be a serious contender for the garage with bollywood types (it is a well known statement car in hollywood), corporate honchos and green enthusiasts alike.
Old 25th January 2011, 22:22   #6
BANNED

Re: Toyota Prius - test drive report

I agree with you Jithesh. For me, the toyota prius is the future of automobiles. I recently visited the mumbai international motor show and man, the prius was one car that blew my mind over.
The looks are great and the interiors are the best. The overall feel of the car is just awesome. I would consider purchasing it in the near future, till then here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Prius - test drive report-sdc13050.jpg  

Toyota Prius - test drive report-sdc13024.jpg  

Toyota Prius - test drive report-sdc13023.jpg  

DMehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2011, 00:45   #7
BHPian

^ Definitely looks very smart! Somehow the Prius in the states does not look as nice, butI think it's just that we have a lot more bad looking cars in India. I wish they did not strip down the stereo systems etc. e.g. look at the 2010 Prius in the States and compare it with the picture above:

Prius Dash in US

or the newer dash that would be coming soon:

All in all I too am glad that hybrids are at least somewhat on the scene now. I just wish that electric / hybrid cars become the mainstream, and we can say goodbye to petrol / diesel ones! Thanks jithesh for the test drive report!

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th January 2011 at 02:27. Reason: Please read the note in your post veri carefully, thanks
Old 26th January 2011, 11:41   #8
BHPian

well the US interiors look much better.. but am i the only one who cant see the automatic gear lever in the US model? or have they put the gear on the steering(premier padmini style) like many automatic cars in the usa?
Old 27th January 2011, 18:20   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhushanrulz View Post
well the US interiors look much better.. but am i the only one who cant see the automatic gear lever in the US model? or have they put the gear on the steering(premier padmini style) like many automatic cars in the usa?
According to me, the gear is situated next to the automatic climate control.
have a look
Old 27th January 2011, 20:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
on the left of the AC controls with blue top for the gear shift lever

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks