Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:15   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Me expert? No way. I just happen to give you some practical tips that I have benefitted from. Just follow the tank-to-tank method to calculate FE and do let us know the outcome of your FE figures. You should be getting better FE after your first service. So don't be disappointed if your FE figures before first service don't match your expectation. As always, drive sensibly and sedately to achieve best FE figures.

Melvyn
Obviously for me your explanations served as one as i was looking out for some information in this regard. Till now the car has driven around 97 kms so i guess i will have to wait for quite some time for the first service to get done. Eagerly waiting to calculate the FE. Another thing i wanted to ask is that i drive the vehicle as per the gear recommendations that are provided in the user manual. Is that ok or do i need to make some changes in my driving habit ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
David congrats on your upgrade,has the boot space increased between the old and new?
Thanks for the wishes. The boot space has increased a bit from the earlier one. But then the vxi variant is equipped with parcel tray. What happened in my case is that i have got Sony xplod speakers which could not get fitted on the boot door, so i had to get them installed on the parcel tray. The reason is that the space in that area is less as the exterior has changed and the number plate area is now on the boot door. And because of this reason if im going on long trips then i cannot hold big suit cases as the parcel tray cannot get folded.
Old 24th August 2010, 22:24   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Obviously for me your explanations served as one as i was looking out for some information in this regard. Till now the car has driven around 97 kms so i guess i will have to wait for quite some time for the first service to get done. Eagerly waiting to calculate the FE. Another thing i wanted to ask is that i drive the vehicle as per the gear recommendations that are provided in the user manual. Is that ok or do i need to make some changes in my driving habit ?
Even though you may have traveled only 100-odd kms I would suggest that you conduct tank-to-tank tests at regular intervals. It would be certainly interesting for you to see how the FE graph moves with each test.

I'm not sure what gear recommendations are there in the manual, but I generally get on the 4th gear by 40-50 kmph (on a normal straight road) and get on the 5th gear by 60 kmph. Since my route is largely the same during the week, I anticipate speed breakers, junctions, and turns well in advance and prefer to gently slow down by changing to lower gears, rather than jamming the breaks at the last moment (unless, of course, the situation demands it). Also, I prefer to accelerate gradually, rather than jamming the foot on the accelerator.

Quote:
The boot space has increased a bit from the earlier one. But then the vxi variant is equipped with parcel tray. What happened in my case is that i have got Sony xplod speakers which could not get fitted on the boot door, so i had to get them installed on the parcel tray. The reason is that the space in that area is less as the exterior has changed and the number plate area is now on the boot door. And because of this reason if im going on long trips then i cannot hold big suit cases as the parcel tray cannot get folded.
Somehow, I never liked the parcel tray in my Alto and thankfully the LXI did not come with it. It is so easy for the rear passenger to put his/her arms behind and pick up something from the boot as and when required, instead of stopping the car, opening the boot door and then removing the desired item. The parcel tray is also a hindrance when extra luggage is to be put in the boot. Thankfully though, the boot space of the Alto LXI800 is similar to the Alto K10, making it a small, compact and practical car to own.
Old 25th August 2010, 09:29   #48
BHPian

David,
Congrats on your K-10. I missed the opportunity of buying it as I was a little early in getting my new ALTO LXI (2 weeks prior to K-10 release)

It surely a VFM car and looks amazing too!

For boot space, you can remove the parcel tray and install 2 small speaker boxes at the sides. It sure will increase the boot space! and something tells me you'll soon be browsing the ICE section to change those Sony Speakers

Happy Revving!

Cheers!
-Z
Old 25th August 2010, 11:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations buddy ... It was a good choice for sure. New alto K10 is a best buy in that price range. I am also thinking of changing our old Zen with New Alto K10 but dad is refusing. We are planning to renew our old Zen itself. Lets see what happens.
Old 25th August 2010, 13:52   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie69 View Post
David,
Congrats on your K-10. I missed the opportunity of buying it as I was a little early in getting my new ALTO LXI (2 weeks prior to K-10 release)

It surely a VFM car and looks amazing too!

For boot space, you can remove the parcel tray and install 2 small speaker boxes at the sides. It sure will increase the boot space! and something tells me you'll soon be browsing the ICE section to change those Sony Speakers

Happy Revving!

Cheers!
-Z
Thanks for the wishes. Must say you surely missed the opportunity. I thought of removing the parcel tray and installing the small speakers at the sides but then second thought leave it, not a problem ! Im already browsing various sites and forums in our website too in order to make this new ride a hot n happening by making some upgrade in the ICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Congratulations buddy ... It was a good choice for sure. New alto K10 is a best buy in that price range. I am also thinking of changing our old Zen with New Alto K10 but dad is refusing. We are planning to renew our old Zen itself. Lets see what happens.
Thank you so much for the wishes. Let me tell you even my dad was not willing to upgrade the Alto 800cc as he was planning for SX4 during diwali. But then what we thought was not going for it. During this time the K10 had launched and i did TD and was damn sure that need to upgrade atleast to this Alto as its more powerful, comfortable and VFM. Dad was refusing for this Alto too. What i did was simply showed him pictures and took him to the showroom for a TD. What next ? My dad was very much impressed by the A/c improvement that chilled the car in less than 5 minutes. I would suggest you to upgrade your zen to the new Alto and join me for "Dhan-Tenan" !!
Old 26th August 2010, 17:15   #51
BHPian

Congratulations man! I too am engaged in the midst of mind & heart tussle since the day i came to know of the launch. However, after i did the TD I somehow stopped. Not that K10 is not powerful but maybe i expected a little more power & peppiness from the car. I also found the power steering a little less responsive than my expectations. I guess someone else on TBHP has highlighted this point on a thread. Thats the reason I am regularly following all threads on K10 & hoping to convince Mr. Mind.

Boot space IMO, we need to adjust accordingly. I personally have bought specific sized soft bags which can be adjusted in the boot. Nothing much we can do.

Quote:
I would suggest you to upgrade your zen to the new Alto and join me for "Dhan-Tenan" !!
IMO restoring an old ZEN completely would still be a better option than buying a K 10, both cost wise & pleasure wise.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santsharan View Post
Congratulations man! I too am engaged in the midst of mind & heart tussle since the day i came to know of the launch. However, after i did the TD I somehow stopped. Not that K10 is not powerful but maybe i expected a little more power & peppiness from the car. I also found the power steering a little less responsive than my expectations. I guess someone else on TBHP has highlighted this point on a thread. Thats the reason I am regularly following all threads on K10 & hoping to convince Mr. Mind.

Boot space IMO, we need to adjust accordingly. I personally have bought specific sized soft bags which can be adjusted in the boot. Nothing much we can do.

IMO restoring an old ZEN completely would still be a better option than buying a K 10, both cost wise & pleasure wise.
I guess you expected something more from the vehicle. The power is absolutely more than the earlier Alto 800cc. The jerkiness and the sounding engine is all gone. In Alto 800cc, you literally feel the load of the A/c while driving at lower speeds whereas here i dont feel it at all. If you have noticed when the gear is at 3 and speed is around 20 you here a typical tar-tar sound from the engine, whereas in K10 its breeze even driving with 3rd gear at such a low speed. I dont know why you felt the power steering less responsive. In fact i found the power steering also very easy and smooth than the earlier one. As far as boot space is concerned, yes we have to adjust accordingly.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:05   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you expected something more from the vehicle. The power is absolutely more than the earlier Alto 800cc. The jerkiness and the sounding engine is all gone. In Alto 800cc, you literally feel the load of the A/c while driving at lower speeds whereas here i dont feel it at all. If you have noticed when the gear is at 3 and speed is around 20 you here a typical tar-tar sound from the engine, whereas in K10 its breeze even driving with 3rd gear at such a low speed. I dont know why you felt the power steering less responsive. In fact i found the power steering also very easy and smooth than the earlier one. As far as boot space is concerned, yes we have to adjust accordingly.
I totally agree. I have an Esteem, and added the K10 to move around the town. All in all excepting for the size and space, I find the K10 the perfect replacement. The acceleration is same, power curve similar and the maneuverability in crowded place much better. The AC is superb and NHV excellent.

One could hope for, but not expect, all the luxuries and performance of a 5+ lac from a 3.5 lac car! Look at it from the point of view of VFM rather than luxury and performance.

The way I look at it is that the K10 costs less than the reduction in value of NHC or Altis in the first three months. Other way of looking at it is that you pay less for this car than you would for regular maintenance (or road tax) for a luxury European vehicle.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:02   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I totally agree. I have an Esteem, and added the K10 to move around the town. All in all excepting for the size and space, I find the K10 the perfect replacement. The acceleration is same, power curve similar and the maneuverability in crowded place much better. The AC is superb and NHV excellent.

One could hope for, but not expect, all the luxuries and performance of a 5+ lac from a 3.5 lac car! Look at it from the point of view of VFM rather than luxury and performance.

The way I look at it is that the K10 costs less than the reduction in value of NHC or Altis in the first three months. Other way of looking at it is that you pay less for this car than you would for regular maintenance (or road tax) for a luxury European vehicle.
I agree with you. The maneuverability is too good. Earlier in my Alto 800cc if i had to use a/c i had to start the fan for minimum 5-10 minutes and then put the a/c on in order to get cool air. But in K10 i can switch on the a/c the moment i want to make myself comfortable with chilling air. Obviously this one is a VFM, look at the performance and the comfort this car is providing. I am sure it is going to kill the other cars in its segment. What more can you expect ? A vehicle that delivers performance, comfort, and overall a good mileage.
Old 29th August 2010, 13:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post

See, Now that's what I was looking for from you guys. An opportunity to convince Mr. Mind to go for another TD. I am closely following this thread to find some more reasons to convince myself that maybe i didn't observe the vehicle minutely. Keep going guys, I am enjoying this.
Both of you guys have 29 posts to your credit while i am posting my comment.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

Good see a neat upgrade on the gear knob as well.
How is the performance while overtaking with AC on? Do we need to downshift or switch off the NOS (AC)
Old 30th August 2010, 11:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
How is the performance while overtaking with AC on? Do we need to downshift or switch off the NOS (AC)
Depends on your speed and driving style. While in a jam I am normally in first with AC on. On an open road I try to get to fifty as soon as possible. In other conditions the performance is as follows

30 - 40 on third - good.

Above 60 on 5th - good.

Below 30 you need second with AC on.

I am rarely in the fourth. I go for fifth around 50, and am in third upto 40-45. Hence unless the traffic is steady around 40, no fourth!
Old 30th August 2010, 13:56   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Thanks for the reminder, i forgot to upload the gear knob. How can i forget it ! The performance while overtaking with AC on is nice. You need not to downshift unless you want to overtake with some power and muscles ! No need for switching off the AC while overtaking.

Some pictures of the all new gear knob !
Attached Thumbnails
My Superior White Alto K10-20100830115329.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-20100830115401.jpg  

Old 30th August 2010, 14:48   #59
BHPian

Got my K10 last Friday.

The driveability is actually quite good, its nearly as good as my 10-year-old Vx, & definitely better than the much heavier Swift.

I've not driven the Alto-800, but the AC did not seem to affect driveability much, the K10's engine just shakes it off.

Another good thing is of course, at stop-light GPs, you can out-accelerate Beats, Figos, Puntos, & most other 1.2 hatches.

The engine revs freely, even better than my lighter-flywheeled Vx, but it does get noisy above 4,500 RPM.

The only disconcerting thing about the engine is that it sounds like a diesel (yuck !) when idling.

The engine bay's been made quite larger though, engine swaps should be easier

The gearbox is OK, throws are shorter than the Vx, but the cable actuated mechanism is less positive than the rod-actuated mechanism in the Vx - the Swift's shifts are way better.

I think 5th is taller in the K10 - will have a better grasp of the mileage numbers when I drive down to CBE next weekend.

The stock tires are sad, no grip at all, its best to not test handling of a K10 unless its shod with better rubber.

The steering weighs up with speed, but not as much as I'd like it to, in any case my non-PS Vx "feels" better.

The brakes on the K10 are also good, not over-servoed like in the Vx, good pads should make braking even better.

The drawbacks of the Alto chassis haven't gone anywhere though, its still a small car, you do not get any elbow room - its strictly economy seating. Although I did like the new front seats, rear-pasenger-knees aren't scrunched up against them anymore.

At its price point, I would've liked Maruti to have provided ABS (after all, ABS was available as an option on the Alto 1.1 GL as sold in the UK).

Would be interesting to see how this remake of the Vx stacks up against it !
Old 30th August 2010, 23:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Got my K10 last Friday.

The driveability is actually quite good, its nearly as good as my 10-year-old Vx, & definitely better than the much heavier Swift.

I've not driven the Alto-800, but the AC did not seem to affect driveability much, the K10's engine just shakes it off.

Another good thing is of course, at stop-light GPs, you can out-accelerate Beats, Figos, Puntos, & most other 1.2 hatches.

The engine revs freely, even better than my lighter-flywheeled Vx, but it does get noisy above 4,500 RPM.

The only disconcerting thing about the engine is that it sounds like a diesel (yuck !) when idling.

The engine bay's been made quite larger though, engine swaps should be easier

The gearbox is OK, throws are shorter than the Vx, but the cable actuated mechanism is less positive than the rod-actuated mechanism in the Vx - the Swift's shifts are way better.

I think 5th is taller in the K10 - will have a better grasp of the mileage numbers when I drive down to CBE next weekend.

The stock tires are sad, no grip at all, its best to not test handling of a K10 unless its shod with better rubber.

The steering weighs up with speed, but not as much as I'd like it to, in any case my non-PS Vx "feels" better.

The brakes on the K10 are also good, not over-servoed like in the Vx, good pads should make braking even better.

The drawbacks of the Alto chassis haven't gone anywhere though, its still a small car, you do not get any elbow room - its strictly economy seating. Although I did like the new front seats, rear-pasenger-knees aren't scrunched up against them anymore.

At its price point, I would've liked Maruti to have provided ABS (after all, ABS was available as an option on the Alto 1.1 GL as sold in the UK).

Would be interesting to see how this remake of the Vx stacks up against it !
Hearty congratulations on your new car. Atleast i got someone from T-bhp as a team-mate ! I actually liked the engine revving at idle. I feel like im sitting in some sports car and ready to fly. Its easy to out-accelerate the Beats, Figos, Puntos, & most other 1.2 hatches because the new K10 is faster in achieving the speed of 100. I am also posting the 0-100 speed reach by the various cars in India. Have taken that up from the initial test drive report of Alto K10.

By the way, lets do some Dhan Te-nan !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Superior White Alto K10-altok10perfcomp.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks