Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 22:12   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Anyone notice something odd about the performance figures for the Alto K10 posted by ACI?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th September 2010, 22:29   #62
Senior - BHPian

Nice Buy! The only thing that makes me sad about ALTO is the absence of rear seat headrests.
Old 4th September 2010, 22:56   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Nice Buy! The only thing that makes me sad about ALTO is the absence of rear seat headrests.
We cant say absence of rear seat headrests because in K10 what i observed is that rear seat come with not much but a little of headrest. We cannot expect a full headrest unlike other hatchback or sedans since it obstructs the rear view for the driver.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:49   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Got my K10 last Friday.

The driveability is actually quite good, its nearly as good as my 10-year-old Vx, & definitely better than the much heavier Swift.

The stock tires are sad, no grip at all, its best to not test handling of a K10 unless its shod with better rubber.

The brakes on the K10 are also good, not over-servoed like in the Vx, good pads should make braking even better.
I agree about the tyres. In another thread about tyre shortages I was shocked to read that OEM tyres sell for as low as Rs.300, what can you expect for that. I changed my tyres to Michelin immediately. I have been riding in Delhi's torrential rain with water upto 40cm on the roads. The grip, braking and the wet performance is excellent.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:11   #65
BHPian

I have been driving my k10 for about 2 weeks now. Murx-you have summarized k10 attributes really well. I will put up a long term report after completing the first service. Here are my 2 bits after the first 500 km in Bangalore traffic:
  • Maneuverability and the chunky steering puts a smile on my face every time I drive.
  • The tires are crying for an upgrade. Aroy, how much did the Michelins cost?
  • First rattle already in place!..somewhere around the A/C panel.
  • Plastics could have done with improvement considering the premium positioning they are trying to achieve.
  • The benchmark for this car is the old zen, not the Alto 800 IMHO.& it delivers.
  • Missing under thigh support on long drives. The driver arm rest is perfectly positioned to allow elbow to rest while holding the steering wheel.
  • This baby can be modded into a serious pocket rocket for all ye enthusiasts out there. Some engine tweaks, bit firmer suspension and nitrox
Overall, can't complain with a Maruti: Owners pride without much of neighbor's envy. Perfect!
Old 6th September 2010, 13:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
I have been driving my k10 for about 2 weeks now. Murx-you have summarized k10 attributes really well. I will put up a long term report after completing the first service. Here are my 2 bits after the first 500 km in Bangalore traffic:
  • The tires are crying for an upgrade. Aroy, how much did the Michelins cost?
Overall, can't complain with a Maruti: Owners pride without much of neighbor's envy. Perfect!
u_chill

Cost me 4000 for a set of five, 800 each. The originals were tubeless.

This vehicle excels in crowded streets and tight parking. Coupled with terrific AC, low consumption and peppy ride you have a perfect city run-about.
Old 11th September 2010, 16:23   #67
BHPian

I am quite happy with the quality of paint on my Alto K10. Today morning was a little unpleasant for me. While coming back home one of my neighbour had parked his bike on the society street. I was bit angry and thought could sneak through the gap, but then my cars rear door got bruised with the bikes steering and a long mark was there. I was so upset felt like beating up that guy to park his vehicle like this. But then i did something unusual. I took out the cleaning cloth from the car and tried to rub on the mark. Was happy to see that the mark was completely removed and it was as if nothing happened. No scratch, no stain on paint. Couldnt take pictures as it is raining heavily in here. Just thought to share this incident.
Old 11th September 2010, 18:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

@ u_chill, Aroy, David Murx,

Fuel Consumption figures anyone?
Old 12th September 2010, 00:23   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

I recently got my fuel tank filled up and was surprised and bit disappointed. My car had run 441 kms and the fuel that went in during refilling was 30.10 ltrs. Which means 441/30.10 = 14.65 km/ltr. I had called up the sales executive from where i bought the car and he told me that during the first 1000 kms run of the vehicle i will have variation in the fuel effeciency since during this run the engine of the vehicle gets properly rouse. Need experts review in this regard.
Old 12th September 2010, 00:40   #70
Senior - BHPian

Thanks David Murx. I would really love to have a word with this sales guy on a modern engine's run in, he still seems to be stuck in the carburettor/CI block era when new engines were delibrately run on a rich mix. Do update us when you reach the 1K mile stone or if you see a change in the mileage.

For now however we will wait for additional inputs from u_chill & Aroy to see how their rides have faired in this regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
I recently got my fuel tank filled up and was surprised and bit disappointed. My car had run 441 kms and the fuel that went in during refilling was 30.10 ltrs. Which means 441/30.10 = 14.65 km/ltr. I had called up the sales executive from where i bought the car and he told me that during the first 1000 kms run of the vehicle i will have variation in the fuel effeciency since during this run the engine of the vehicle gets properly rouse. Need experts review in this regard.

EDIT
@Sutripta

All of us do not read OD, kindly post and elaborate on your observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta
Hi,
Anyone notice something odd about the performance figures for the Alto K10 posted by ACI?

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by khoj : 12th September 2010 at 00:43. Reason: query towards another post
Old 12th September 2010, 10:08   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, sales execs have no clue what they're talking about!

Secondly, the mileage you are getting in the first 1000 kms is pretty good - there's no reason to be disappointed. Also, expect the mileage to go up even further and stabilize after the 2nd service - by which time, the engine (if run-in properly), would have bedded down nicely.
Old 12th September 2010, 14:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I recently got my fuel tank filled up and was surprised and bit disappointed. My car had run 441 kms and the fuel that went in during refilling was 30.10 ltrs. Which means 441/30.10 = 14.65 km/ltr.
Hi, on ~180 Kms of city driving, I got a similar figure - 14.4 Kmpl.

Drove it down to Coimbatore (~550 Kms one-way) this weekend & got a fuel-efficiency figure of 23.3 Kmpl on the onward journey, which was with the A/C being used full-time & speed being limited to 100 Kmph. On the return trip, with the A/C being sparingly used, I got a fuel-efficiency figure of 26.6 Kmpl, again speed being limited to 100 Kmph.

That said, I do not notice any difference in highway performance compared to my Alto-Vx - 100 Kmph is 3000 RPM in 5th & the engine feels like it can do it all day Which is what I did yesterday, one non-stop 7-hour drive from Coimbatore to Chennai. I'm liking the brakes on the K10 very much, there's a lot of "feel", not like my Vx's over-servoed brakes which lock up the instant you touch them.

The best my "high-miler" M800 has given me on the same MAS-CBE trip is ~37 Kmpl - but I doubt I can get the K10 to give that much. The K10 encourages you to drive faster - even in 5th, with the A/C on, it accelerates nicely from 80 Kmph to 130 Kmph for overtaking not-so-slow-moving traffic. Except for the diesel-engine-like sound & the thin tyres, I'm very pleased with what this car is offering.
Old 12th September 2010, 15:29   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

My first tank got 12.1. Conditions were bad - stop and go traffic rain and AC on. A fifteen minute journey took 1 hour, hence the car was mostly waiting for traffic. In same circumstances my Esteem gives 6.

Second tank slightly better driving conditions at half tank I am estimating 15+ with AC on. Mostly local travels of 2-4km.

That said I think that K10 should give 20+ on highways with AC on. My 800 gave 22 on highways without AC, 12 in city with AC, 6 while climbing to Chail from NH (second and third due to snow), and 3 while going around Puja Pandals (first and second). So the average varies tremendously with the driving conditions. From all that I have heard K10 should beat all but Nano in petrol consumption. Accurate figures would emerge only after 5K km mark.

Last edited by Aroy : 12th September 2010 at 15:30. Reason: Brakes
Old 12th September 2010, 15:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

Regarding brakes. On my son's insistence I changed the stock tyres to Michelin. The road noise is low, wet performance excellent and brakes excellent.
Old 13th September 2010, 01:43   #75
BHPian

So i think i will have to wait for the 2nd service to get done or 5000 kms. I guess most of the K10 users getting the same mileage around in the city. Will have to check up the fuel efficiency on highway now. The brakes are indeed good and yes the K10 literally pulls you to speed up ! I am waiting for my trip to ahmedabad and lets see whats store in for me as far as mileage is concerned on highway. I am expecting somewhere around 25+.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks