Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 10:42   #31
BHPian

@Karan - thanks for advice. You rightly pointed out That interiors requires some polishing.
I will purchase the products you mentioned and try out in my car.

Do check out my thread about long term ownership- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...continues.html.
Old 13th October 2010, 22:50   #32
BHPian

Answers are here!

Q: Your car shows a tachometer, isn't the ZXI version the only one that comes with a tacho? I would like one to be put in mine when I get the car.

A: A tachometer is only available in the Zxi version; the one you saw in my thread belongs to antoher user by the name "Frozen in time". This car is of silver color.
Whereas mine is Desert Brown in color.

Q2. Could you also give me details of what is needed for the fog lamps to be put in as I would love to have that as well.

The following thing are needed
1) Lumax Fog Lamps Assembly with Bulbs
Rs. 1600 for the paid with bulbs

2) MGP Fog Lamps Cover LHS and RHS
Rs. 65 Each

3) MGP Fog Lamp Start/Off Switch - Maruti Genuine Part
Approx. Rs 350

4) MGP or good quality after market Wiring Harness
Rs ~100-200

5) Maruti Service Centre of Service Station to get the fitting done in order to make sure warranty is not voided
Labour Rs ~150

Please PM me if you want the MGP (Maruti Genuine Parts) numbers as well as the Lumax distributor's number. If you fit them at Maruti Dealers, their charge is approx Rs. 3700. If you do it the way mentioned above, you will save quite a lot.

Q3. I would also like to know as to how your car is running so far. Any problems/niggles?

A. MY car has run approx. 2000 kms in the last 2 months and it is too early to comment. There is absolutely no problem with the car. Touchwood. Tiny niggles include
1) a minor rattle noise from under the RHS AC blower; got it fixed by inserting a foam packing.
2) You will discover that real power kicks in after a certain RPM. Example, when you slot it into the second gear, you will observe an initial lag for a approx 1-2 seconds depending on the revvs, but once in a certain revv range, the car is absolutely fun to drive. You won't even notice that you have reached 80-90. I have observed this in all Maruti cars with the K-10B series engines (Wagon R, Estillo, Alto K10,).
3) My car's engine mounts, a few nuts, AC Compressor Washer were rusted. To counter this the dealer gave me free anti-rust coating underbody as well as engine compartment. Plus free engine polymer coating. Whereas the AC compressor is about to be replaced. All FOC
4) The Front Doors rubber beading, wipers had dried, which have been replaced FOC.
5) Minor amount of vibration during idling as it is a 3-pot/3 cyclinder engine. All K-10B series engines vibrate a little. But are butter smooth while moving.

I personally recommend, insist that you get a car manufactured not more than 1 Month ago. For example if you are buying it today, the car should have been manufactured only in September. The dealers will tell you their own story, but just walk away.
I personally recommed my color, as I feel it looks royal and different from Suncoppers, Greys, Reds, Silvers etc. It looks especially royal at night; under flood lights, street lights etc.

Q4: If there is any other information that i need to know regarding the car it would be helpful.
A: You can read the initial part of my thread and you will find useful information. If possible, get insurance on your own; preferably online and inform the dealer before hand. Just go to the insurance company's home page and get a quote and buy it once you get the chassis and the engine number. They will issue an instant cover note which you can pass on to the dealer, who will then send the car papers for registration. I was quoted rs 12270, whereas I got a quote of Rs. ~8215 from IffkoTokia website. You can purchase a HU, or good speakers, seat covers or tints in the saved amount.

If possible and if you can manage, get registration done on your own. You will save up quite a lot. I was charged Rs. 9000 by the dealer (Believe me, all car dealers, Maruti, Hyundai, Tata have a cut in insurance and registration). The govt registration in Mumbai is ~23000; but I paid Rs. 31000. The extra charges included, handling, Number Plate etc.

I suspension, handling, front seat leg room, front seat comfort, thigh support and lumbar support is amzing. I did 200 kms non stop journey without a stiff back. I experience a lot of back problem in M800 after 30min-45min continuous driving.
The steering is fun to hold, especially with the leather steering cover. Frankly speaking! if you are looking for a family car, and have a family of real tall, like more than 6 feet and broad individuals, then it may be a problem when everyone tries to get in. Other wise, two tall individuals in the front surely feel comfortable. The sideways door to door width in the front too is good.
I am in the process of writing an indepth report (@2500) kms so you shall come to know more about it later. For now, if you have any more questions please ask here.
Old 13th October 2010, 23:06   #33
BHPian

@FunkyDevil - The Pic I promised you

This pic was taken at Lonavala this year. It was my first long trip in my all new A-star. I clicked several snaps and exhausted the memory card. . I plan to upload them once I complete 2500Kms along with a detail initial ownership report. So watchout for this space! The pic is just a teaser for everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-dsc01800.jpg  

Old 14th October 2010, 10:31   #34
BHPian

Nice picture Karan.But where is the ZXi style ORVMs ?Also in your avatar there is foglamp .Now where is it ?
Old 14th October 2010, 11:43   #35
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the info karan. Your post has helped me a lot. Will let ya know if I have any other questions. Nice pic btw.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:26   #36
BHPian

@karan - excellent write up, once again.
Sad to hear that A/C compressor packing up so soon along with rusted nuts and bolts.

By the way, my car's rear window divider is losing colour and appears rusted. Is there similar problem in your car? I have seen similar problem in my Maruti 800.

About colour - here are few advantages of silver colour-
1.scratches are not that visible,
2.no problem of panels being repainted as colour is readily available.
To me colour is a subjective matter like looks.So the above view is purely my personal view.

Anybody buying A- star or any other vehicle,please go through Team BHP advice section.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:12   #37
BHPian

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Nice picture Karan.But where is the ZXi style ORVMs ?Also in your avatar there is foglamp .Now where is it ?
The A-star in the avatar's snap isn't mine. I just love the pic. In future, I plan to install fog lamps. A-star Lxi, which I own, does not come with Zxi style ORVMs. It comes with the simple ones, which I have. It would've cost me Rs. ~2500 to upgrade, which I think is not worth it.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan1609 View Post
Lumax Mumbai Distributor - 1600 (May also offer Rs. 100-200 discount)
FOG LAMPS assembly including bulbs x 2
Wiring Harness - 200 for a pair
Labour - Rs. 200
Plastic Part with Hole (to accomodate the FOG LAMPS) - Rs 65 Each.
Total - 2130
Please share contact of distributor.
Old 26th November 2010, 23:45   #39
BHPian

Query

Of lately, Ive started experiencing the following problems:

The engine kinda knocks while taking in reverse; I have to kinda revv it (but not too hard), else the knocking will keep happening till the car is in quick steady motion. At times it also comes in the first gear during pick up I have noticed that when the engine is cold, the knocking disappears both in the forward and reverse positions, however, when the engine is at normal running temperature, it kinda knocks in reverse, and at times in forward.
It has started coming after the first service; the following activities were done during the first service and I doubt thata newbie worked on my car!
Total Kms - 3200

1) The battery terminals were removed in order to remove the light rust, for more than 15-20minutes. Does this mean that my ECU settings went away? I doubt that my car has a Drive-by-wire technology, as I know it has a mechanical cable, so will this be applicable?

2) There is a slight vibration in my clutch pedal all the times; the MASS guy denied it and said that it is present in all KB Series Engines. Is it true?

3) What would be the ideal accelerator pedal play as per company norms?I kinda feel that the play has increased.

4) I feel after the first service, the vibrations while idling have kinda increased; thought not really disturbing, but one can feel it for sure. I know that I am not supposed to compare it with 4 cylinder engines. However, I feel it performs the best during the cold starts. The throttle is responsive, idling is smooth etc.

Does all of this mean that my ECU settings need to be corrected and restored, since they got erased when the battery terminal was disconnected? As all these problems started coming after the first service.

Additionally, the headlights were replaced under warranty, but the aiming hasn't been done correctly. I found 1 pair of crown like metallic discs behind each headlight, one was small and the other was bigger. Are they used for adjusting the aiming of the headlights? I tried turning them, but they seem to be very tight.
Old 27th November 2010, 00:36   #40
BHPian

Query

I have noticed since day one of my purchase, that a strange rattling sound comes from the front suspension especially at low speeds. This sound comes especially over small potholes, small undulations, rough pathches etc. It DOES NOT come at high speeds, or deep potholes. Mind you, I am not talking about usual thud over potholes, but a metal to metal kind of sound. "Kat Kat Kat Kat". I gathered from various posts of Swift (Since A-star has adopted a lot of parts from the Swift), that it could be the steering rack, absense of grease in the struts or somethign major?
The car has just run 3200 Kms and I am kinda starting to get pissed!

Going forward, I am now going to maintain the list of problems, parts changed, so potential A-star owners can benefit. I believe that A-star sales have started picking up especially due to the 45-50K discount, which makes it an attractive package. I am really happy with the car except some small problems here and there.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:42   #41
Team-BHP Support

Karan, the vibrations after the first gear look to be due to the idling. When cold the engine will idle at a higher rpm hence no vibrations. This idle control is handled by he ecu.

Once teh engine is warmed up the rpm reduces. It looks like during the first service they have adjusted the idling rpm.

Just have the idling rpm checked at the service centre once and if it's too low like below 800rpm then just get it adjusted.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Knocking occurs in my car if i give too little throttle to move up an incline int he wrong gear, and that happens when i'm lazy to shift, but otherwise no knocking sound in forward or reverse gears.

Quote:
Additionally, the headlights were replaced under warranty, but the aiming hasn't been done correctly. I found 1 pair of crown like metallic discs behind each headlight, one was small and the other was bigger. Are they used for adjusting the aiming of the headlights? I tried turning them, but they seem to be very tight.
Why were the lights replaced?

Some wheel alignment shops have the headlight focusing equipment take it there to get it focused. Else you can DIY if you can find level ground and a wall some 25feet ahead. Google headlight focusing DIY. But eitherways get it focused asap.

Quote:
I have noticed since day one of my purchase, that a strange rattling sound comes from the front suspension especially at low speeds. This sound comes especially over small potholes, small undulations, rough pathches etc. It DOES NOT come at high speeds, or deep potholes. Mind you, I am not talking about usual thud over potholes, but a metal to metal kind of sound. "Kat Kat Kat Kat". I gathered from various posts of Swift (Since A-star has adopted a lot of parts from the Swift), that it could be the steering rack, absense of grease in the struts or somethign major?
The car has just run 3200 Kms and I am kinda starting to get pissed!
In my car there aren't any suspect sounds yet, the kat kat sound might be the steering rack. The only sounds i have are minor panel vibrations and the usual suspension noise when going over bad roads (happens in our i10 too). Mine is running on 185 13" tyre. Mine has done 3500kms so far.

Last edited by Sankar : 27th November 2010 at 10:01.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
These crown type disc you are talking about are the screws to adjust lights. There will be 2 such screws and the spikes in then are to fit a plus/cross shaped screw driver in them and rotate. one screw is for left-right and other for up-down. In my estilo the one on upper side is for L-R and one below near holder is for U-L adjustment. u will find that there is direct approach/clearance for screw driver to fit from above side as in my car

I hope u will be benefited.
Old 27th November 2010, 13:03   #44
BHPian

The headlights were changed as they had moisture formation inside during rains. The ones which were the replacement too had the same problem! I still have doubts that if air can get in, so will dust during usage.

People, do you have an accurate idea about the ECU being reset since the battery terminals were disconnected?The systems in A-star are almost similar to the Swift; so a lot of troubleshooting would be similar too.

Additionally, I dont know if I am doing it incorrect, but the 2nd gear seems to be tough to slot and it feel as if it get stuck. All other gears are pretty smooth! I had a similar problem in my M800. Off topic, I drove my friends i-20, man the moment you leave the clutch, the car just pick up smooth and quick without any knocking of any sought. The gear shifting is way better than the Swift, A-star, Wagon R 2010, New Estilo. Plus, the cheap sound that comes while shifting, isn't present. I know I shouldnt not be comparing it with I-20 (different segments).
Old 27th November 2010, 14:46   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The headlights were changed as they had moisture formation inside during rains. The ones which were the replacement too had the same problem! I still have doubts that if air can get in, so will dust during usage.
I think i'm lucky, no moisture formation inside my car's head lamps during this rainy season even after cutting the rear bulb boot to fix HID.

Quote:
People, do you have an accurate idea about the ECU being reset since the battery terminals were disconnected?The systems in A-star are almost similar to the Swift; so a lot of troubleshooting would be similar too.
ECU reset after battery disconnection is a no worry thingy. As you drive for a few days ECU builds up the fueling trim afresh.

Quote:
Additionally, I dont know if I am doing it incorrect, but the 2nd gear seems to be tough to slot and it feel as if it get stuck. All other gears are pretty smooth!
No issues with second gear, but reverse is a bit tough to get into once in a while.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks