Team-BHP - My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/87529-my-cute-lil-toy-yellow-nano-edit-now-sold.html)

Hi guys,

I am feeling extremely happy to say that I have taken the delivery of my Tata Nano!

So, first let me share all the experiences that I had from the booking date till now.

1) Decision to book the NANO:

This goes back to mid-2009. My sister had been using her scooter for all her needs- to go to college, etc- and that was not something safe considering the amount of traffic and the reckless driving that can be seen in the city. So my dad decided to get a car for her. And his requirement was to have a car, a small one, with the basic necessary features, just as a substitute to a two-wheeler.

That’s when tata announced the launch of the nano and the opening of the booking. We checked various websites to get to know the car well. Looked into Autocar India’s initial review from the auto expo and the scoops from else where, including t-bhp. We were satisfied with everything that’s been provided in the car and were really happy with its looks and space too. Hence we decided to book it and did the same.

2) Allotment and the endless wait!

Within a month, we got to know the result of our booking and were overwhelmed to know that tata nano, lunar silver, was allotted to us! But the sad thing is that, our delivery period was July-September 2010! More than a year of waiting! But still we decided to wait. The days went on and that’s when, I think around September 2009, I came to know about the fire incident in a nano, and just after a week, again another one, which was reportedly due to a faulty combination switch! These made us think again about our booking; whether to cancel it or to take the car?.

My dad and me then decided to enquire some nano users directly and collected contact numbers from our dealer (They refused to give numbers at first, but later they accepted). We called more than 3 nano users and all they gave us was a THUMB’S UP! All of them were extremely happy with the car, its performance, fuel efficiency and everything. So, we decided not to cancel the booking.

We waited, waited and again in March 2010, heard about another nano fire in mumbai, which put our minds into thought again. After a lot of discussions, we decided to cancel the booking and take some second-hand car. And here is the link of my query:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1966467-post2002.html

The canceling process was very smooth. We first called the nano call center and told them about our intention to cancel the booking and they happily accepted to cancel it! :Shockked:(I thought they might at least try to enquire the reason for cancellation or something!) . And we started the hunt, but were not satisfied with many of the cars we saw and the purchase didn’t take place even after a month (Luckily!).

3) The turning point:

One day, my dad met one of our old friends while he was out and on further talk; he came to know that the guy has a nano. And gave the keys to my dad to have a drive. My dad immediately called me and asked to reach the spot. I did so and had an awesome time having a drive in the wonderful car. All our perceptions changed. Super cool air con, acceptably refined and damn easy to drive!

Immediately, we called the nano call center in order to withhold the booking and also sent a mail to them too. They informed us that luckily our booking had not been cancelled yet! On knowing this we requested for a color change to Sunshine yellow and they did so. Within a week or two, we got a message from tata motors saying our car was ready for delivery. We immediately contacted the dealer and they said we could take delivery in a week’s time.

As I had already created a separate thread about my dealership experience, I’ll attach the link here.
Here it is: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rivandrum.html

4) Delivery and the fun! :

We decided to take delivery on 14th August 2010, as it was “atham” (considered as an auspicious day). We thoroughly checked the car with the t-bhp checklist( thanks t-bhp!) and were extremely happy to note the odometer displaying 23 Km ! As we were in a bit of a hurry, could not do the underbody coating and other basics. Got the mud flaps fitted at the cost of Rs. 158 and we took the delivery.

We were really thrilled to take the car home, and on the way home, a lot of envious eyes encircled us! Thanks Nano! :-D

We are waiting for a day to do the underbody coating, Teflon (the area we live in is a very dusty place, so easier for cleaning), keyless entry. music system, seat covers, sun film, floor mats and if possible alloys!

The price break-up:

The total price of the car: Ex showroom price: Rs. 1,85,912
Road Tax: Rs. 11,155
Insurance: Rs. 4,429
Extended warranty (24 months): Rs. 2,750
Total On-Road: Rs. 2,06,246

Some additional points:

O The engine is almost inaudible in the cabin, esp. at the front. At the rear, a bit of the engine whine is always present, but its not annoying. But I would say, way less noise compared to a M-800.

O But on the outside, I have to accept that while the car is in idle, it does have a sound similar to a 2-stroke auto at times (nothing so close it, but still it does have that). But as the engine speed rises, it all gets back to normal. But I should say, this should not be considered as a negative because, any 2 stroke engine, be it of BMW or TOYOTA, would have somewhat the same sound as it’s a characteristic of such an engine. So there is nothing to blame about it.

O Interiors are full of space and space…..and space!! It’s a treat for four people. Ample of legroom at the back and at the front. The thigh support for the front seats is adequate but for the rear, it lacks a bit. But still it’s comfy. And the seats are a bit firm.

O The air con is really chilling. Even without the sun films being installed, it cools the cabin extremely well. But have not tested it in really hot conditions.

O The entire warning lights look good, especially the service indicator, with a spanner across a nano logo, looks cute.

O The tire noise is really annoying. It’s shod with MRF tires. And the ride comfort too is nothing to write home about.

O Tata should have provided left ORVM’s too. It would have been really useful. The showroom guys informed that there have been lots of requests from customers for the LHS ORVM, but its not yet available.

O The cup holders can easily hold half-liter bottles. Good.

O The orange instrument cluster backlight looks cool.

O The positioning of power window switches is ergonomically poor. They are right in front of the gear knob.

O The length of seatbelts is lesser than in some other cars. I tried pulling it all the way, but the length is not great. Also tested in wagon-r and it was longer. May be cost-cutting?

O The company fitted horn sounds horrible and weak, as if the car is suffering from some disease and is about to faint!lol:

O The plastics are all of very good quality. The a/c vents, controls, power window switches and the whole dashboard feels rigid and it has a nice feel too. Truly Unexpected!

O Be ready to wait for most of the accessories that you are planning to take from your tata dealer! Most of the accessories were told to have a long waiting period. You are lucky if they have stock of it.

O And please note that some stuff’s are missing in the car, which are supposed to be along with the car while taking the delivery. Enquired with the dealer and what they said was that they are not getting these from Tata Motors along with the car. And that’s sad. The stuff missing are:
1) Warning triangle.
2) Tow hook (I didn’t find it anywhere. Other Nano owners, enlighten me!)
3) Spare fuses.
The warning triangle is for sure not with the car, but I have not been able to locate the other two.

O There is just a single spare bulb along with the car.

O The turning radius is just awesome. In total , the car just feels like a toy and its the best car for city use. No doubt!.

O The doors close with a nice "thud". Great and unexpected. Overall , the build quality is really good.

O The paint quality is quite good. I can see some very mild color difference in the rear bumper, in the lower part. But nothing so much to worry about, i guess.

O There is a blind-spot as the A-pillar obstructs the view a bit. Rear view is good.

O The ORVM's are quite flimsy and look cheap too. The paint quality on the ORVM is really bad. Checked with other nano's in the dealership yard.

If there is anything else anyone wants to know, please feel free to ask me and i will surely try my best to answer all the queries.
thanks.

Here are the pictures:

Handing over of the keys
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano1.jpg

Our cutie pie
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano2.jpg

Yellow looks good for the nano
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano3.jpg

The tail lamps carry over the tata DNA
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano4.jpg

Me forcing my dad to get out of the driver seat! ( Selfish me! lol)
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano5.jpg

Sales rep explaining all the stuff.
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano6.jpg

Small steering
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano7.jpg

The egg shaped car! lol
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano8.jpg

Instrument cluster- Very easy to read
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano9.jpg

Fun time!
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano10.jpg

More pictures will follow
till then
cheers!

The rest of the pics:

My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano11.jpg

My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano12.jpg

This shows the tire marks while we tested the turning radius of the car!

My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano13.jpg

Ample of rear legroom. This is when a person of 5'8 was occupying the drivers seat
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano14.jpg

My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano15.jpg

On the Highway
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano16.jpg

Cup holders-can easily fit in a 500ml bottle. Ergonomically poor positioning of the power window switches.
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano17.jpg

Eyes shut and asleep! :-)
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano18.jpg

Easy to read instrument cluster
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano19.jpg

The good looking service indicator
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano20.jpg

cheers!

The car looks uber cool. Now that you mentioned it, it looks more like an egg only:p.

Sun films and alloy = all pimped up :)

Congrats for buying an egg :P

Congratulations on getting your yellow little car. She looks sweet. Very well written initial report too with nice pictures to compliment the same. This is one car which is a sure head turner. I have driven one and the experience was fantastic. The perfect car for tight spot parking too.

Is this your first car?

Looking froward to more updates after you get your accessories fitted and most importantly the alloys. Drive safe :)

@sachinj12: lol Thank you

@Dippy: Thank you. This is my first "new" car. The earlier one was a used Premier Padmini, which we still have with us. Will surely update and the alloys are not a sure thing. Only if Vitamin-M permits! :-D

Guys, as i have mentioned earlier, the tire noise is really annoying. Is there any way i can reduce it? The tire pressure is 28psi at the front and 30psi( recommended upper limit acc: nano's manual). Is there any use if i reduce it to 26 psi at front and 28 psi at the back?( lower limit pressure acc: to nano manual). Or will it get solved only by changing the tires?

Congrats on getting a new toy at this age :)
IMO nano looks best in this color.

FreakMuzik, I feel that yours is the first Yellow Tata Nano on the forum. And yes, I feel that Tata Nano looks awesome in Yellow.

My friend own a Yellow Tata Nano too. I was really shocked to feel the performance of the A/C. It's really awesome. It chills the cabin very fast. As a matter of fact, I had never expected that the A/C would be this much good!

Oh! I forgot to congratulate you! Never mind. Congratulations for owning this little toy like car(No offence intended - My little brother loves to consider Tata Nano as a toy :D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmuzik (Post 2037866)
O Tata should have provided left ORVM’s too. It would have been really useful. The showroom guys informed that there have been lots of requests from customers for the LHS ORVM, but its not yet available.

I agree with you brother. The ORVM's looks very small. I wish they had given bigger ORVM's :(

Keep us updated. Wish you a happy and safe motoring. Have Fun

Amith

@blackasta & @Klub_class: Thanks a lot for your wishes.

And, i hope someone could answer my query please:
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmuzik (Post 2038119)
Guys, as i have mentioned earlier, the tire noise is really annoying. Is there any way i can reduce it? The tire pressure is 28psi at the front and 30psi( recommended upper limit acc: nano's manual). Is there any use if i reduce it to 26 psi at front and 28 psi at the back?( lower limit pressure acc: to nano manual). Or will it get solved only by changing the tires?

And, sad to say that there is a very very small scratch on the drivers door. Its not at all visible until we observe it carefully. But still, a scratch is a scratch! :-(

Congrats freakmuzik and many happy (s)miles to you!

The yellow nano is the most sought after colour, it gives an identity to the car that few others can get! That you love the car is evident from your lovingly written account. And nice details and photos as well.

One point though, thought should mention, the nano has a 2-cylinder (and not a 2-stroke) engine. I suppose it is a four-stroke engine.
I have heard the sound when I recently test drove the nano. And agree with you 100% it is only at low revs so can be ignored. And what's more , the performance in city traffic is no less than astonishing, 60-80 kph can be maintained with ease. Braking also is pretty fine for a car of this size.

Congrats once again and happy motoring!

Now here's an update. Had been to a short 30 km ride just to get to know the car well. The following were the observations.

Ride and Handling:

The ride comfort is not something the nano can be proud of. The ride seems stiff and gets choppy and filters in most of the undulations at speeds above 40, might be partly due to the MRF's too. At low speeds, its acceptable, but nothing great. I cant comment much on the handling perspective as there was no chance for me to test it. But still. it does have its own share of body roll for sure. In the city it feels extremely nimble and i am sure, there is no need of a power steering as the steering is light enough. As said earlier, the turning radius makes me and all the on-lookers wonder. I can easily show-off by taking a U-turn in a narrow road! :-P

Performance:

Engine:

The engine is decent, having adequate power for normal drives and pulls along well. We went on a flyover in the highway which is a bit steep with 3 people in the car. The car climbed very easily at around 45 - 50 km/hr with the a/c on that too in the 4th gear! What else should i ask from the nano?? But overtaking is never easy with this car. You need to plan well before overtaking and i do not expect any mind boggling performance from this 624 cc engine. But still it does its duty well. It does have its strange bit of a noise, which can be heard only when you are out of the car. As you sit in, with the windows up and the a/c on, almost nothing can be heard, especially at the front two seats.

The car is extremely peppy in the city with no problems with low end torque or whatsoever. The nano can easily get on to 60 or 70 with just a little push on the throttle. As the car is in its run-in period , have not gone beyond that, hence cant comment further on it.

Transmission:

The gear feels a bit hard, might be so as its new. But slots in well. Chances are less that one would mis-engage. The throw is short enough but i would like it to be a little more smooth. Lets see how it becomes once the kilometers rise in the odo.
Tires:

Not pretty much satisfied. With excessive tire noise, its disturbing in the cabin. Each and every movement of the tire can be felt in. On delivery, the pressure was high and reduced it to the recommended pressure, expecting a difference in the tire noise, but did not notice any change yet! Anyone please help!

And, sorry, could not test the FE or anything as it was just a short drive and not even quarter of the petrol in the tank is not yet consumed!

Interiors:

As you all know its really spacious, more than enough for 4 adults. At the front, seats are good, has acceptable levels of support. Leg space is available in plenty. For the drivers perspective, frontal vision is extremely good, but the A-pillars do create a blind-spot. The ORVM's and the internal mirrors are small. All the controls are easily in reach and the knobs and switches have a good feel too.

@rpmx100 : Thanks for pointing it out. Was a typo. Meant to write 2 cylinder. Sorry and will be careful while i write hereafter. :-)

Yellow is in great demand for the nano, but the production of the Yellow ones is less, one of the reasons for the delay in delivery of our car. As said by kulathunkal motors, they just received 5 Yellow Nano's in a lot which has around triple the number of silver and other coloured nano's.

And once again, thanks for your wishes! :-)

Congrats for the new Nano . It looks awesome in Yellow. Being a Nano owner myself and done around 5500 kms, I agree with most of your observations.I agree that tyre noise is on a higher side but this is trademark for MRF tyres, we can not do much about it.

BTW, there is a pocket on the back of the rear seat, and the Warning traingle is placed inside it. Check it and let us know.

@kkg: Thanks for the wishes and especially for the info about the warning triangle. As even the dealership told me that its not coming along with the car, i did not mind to check it! Foolish me!
Once again thanks kkg

Here are the pics:

The pocket behind the rear seat
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano21.jpg

and the warning triangle
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano22.jpg

I also looked at the other stuff hid in such mysterious places! lol

The spanner/jack lever and the tow hook right behind the battery.( i kept it on the seat to take the photos!)
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano23.jpg

and the tow hook is kept in a separate section in the same pouch
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano24.jpg

The controversial positioning of the battery
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano25.jpg

The jack
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano26.jpg

These are the small imperfections that i saw in the welding or what ever in the joints, and i found it in the other nano's too.

Left inner joint of the hatch(not actually lol) and the rear glass
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano27.jpg

Right inner joint of the same
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano28.jpg

Cheers!

Mods: Sorry for the back to back posts

I forgot to attach a picture in the earlier post

This is a sheet of a heat resistant material over the covering of the engine bay. And the cover too is not metal, but some plastic kind of a material. I checked the heat level on the cover after a drive of around half an hour and its bearable. That is, you can keep your hand directly over the plastic cover for around 5 seconds without getting hurt. But there is no trace of heat over the heat resistant material! Awesome. So no worries for ice creams or anything else that i keep over it!lol:

But , in an older nano that i saw, the material was not pretty good and i could feel the heat even over the heat resistant material. I think tata has improved its quality and heat efficiency over time! Kudos to tata! clap:

This is what i was talking about.
My Cute Li'l Toy: Yellow Nano. Edit, now sold!-nano29.jpg