Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 18:55   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sport! EDIT: Sold!

I took delivery of my Fiesta S on 22nd July and that makes it one month of ownership. It takes at least a month to get a fairly accurate idea of the car. Now I've done 1500 kms (Edit: today I did a run to Tumkur and completed 1760 kms now) of varied driving - day/night, rain/sun, city/highway, and I guess I can now put up an initial report.

You can see pics in my earlier post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...y-special.html

This report is not just my impressions of the Fiesta Sport. As I moved from the Ikon 1.6 to the Fiesta 1.6 Sport, quite naturally I would be comparing each aspect of these two cars rather than focus purely on the Fiesta itself. I am also not generally comparing the Ford Fiesta to any other make/model, although I may compare some feature to another car I've owned or driven. Finally, this is an attempt to answer the million dollar question - "Did Ford India do an encore? Is the Fiesta 1.6S as good as the Ikon 1.6?” So please keep these in mind when you read this report.

(Dear Fiesta owners, all this is old hat to you, especially as many of you have owned your Fiesta for over two or three years, so please don't mind my repeating what you already know! Please consider this report in the above context. Moreover, this is a record of my observations as it is, even if these are already done).

I had no opportunity to experience the S before I bought one as there was no demo car available and I knew no one who owned one. So the very first time I sat in one was in Metro Ford, in my own car, to take her home! Yet, as cautious as I am by nature, (2 whole years of research!), I did actually plonk down Rs. 8.5 lakhs for this car entirely on hearsay. That gives an idea of the huge reputation this car, and its siblings, have even amongst professionals and auto magazines; and the near fanatical devotion of its owners. From the kind of information available on the net, this is must be one of the most hyped cars in India.

And that gives rise to million dollar question #2: Does the Fiesta 1.6 Sport live up to the hype?

Read on, we'll go on a fact-finding trip together...

First impressions:

The very first impression was that this (of course here including the ZXI/SXI) was a step up in equipment levels and sophistication compared to the Ikon. The stock music system, air bags, IP digital display, electric ORVMs, double headlamps, 15" alloys, remote key, which are OEM and visually apparent, all contribute to that impression. The Ikon is quite Spartan in comparison (Ikon was also less costly!). There was also an initial impression of greater cabin space. Compared to other makes in the same price bracket, well, I honestly don't know where the Sport stacks up in terms of features vis-à-vis the competition. As far as I am concerned, I bought it only to have the best driver's car south of Rs. 10 lakhs, a successor to my beloved Ikon 1.6, and didn't choose the S based on a feature-by-feature comparison with other makes.

Delivery:

I listened carefully to the instructions of the sales exec, making mental notes of the important points, especially the operation of the PATS. The S generally follows Ikon traditions, so it was easy to grasp. A few controls are different though - the now notorious bonnet release lever, the main light switch, the boot release, the fuel tank cover release (the Ikon does not have this). Added to this are the reversely set A/C controls. So a few important changes from the Ikon, and I would have to remember these. The sales guy forgot the adjustable steering; that I discovered myself later.

After the briefing, I started the engine for the very first time and was pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and quietness of this engine. In one of the Fiesta threads, (I can't recall, I think Suman's?), I read that the quiet and very smooth Duratec fooled the driver into trying to start a running engine. Now I understand what he wrote. Anywhere outside our home, the engine cannot be felt or heard at idle, only the tach reveals that the engine is running.

Time to take my new lady home. Said our thanks and bye to Metro Ford staff, and got into the car. Her Majesty (The Wife - by whose most gracious sanction the S was purchased!) got into the passenger seat, and straightaway said she liked the fabric seat covers. Me too. I just love this fabric; after a month I can honestly say it's the best seat covering I've owned. (Quite similar to that of an Audi that I've been in, and that is the best I've experienced).

Eased the car slowly out onto Palace Road and then Sankey Road. I was taking it very easy for two reasons - 1) I was absolutely new to the car and needed to understand it and 2) more importantly, my wife had not been in the Sport and I was very worried she would be upset if the suspension was too hard. She knew I wanted the S very badly to replace my aging Ikon, and was aware it was because of its suspension and chassis, but more than that she didn't know. For that matter, even I didn't know! I had hinted at a stiff suspension, and a slightly rough ride. She being used to the Ikon's excellent cornering and highway comfort, knew that good suspensions needed to be stiffly sprung. So she was expecting something like the Ikon and was okay with that. But if the S turned out to be much harder than the Ikon, and made for a very rough ride in town, then possibly I could find myself in a spot of bother. I would have a lot of explaining to do to slime out of the situation! So every ripple on the road was treated with exaggerated caution, prompting some others on the road to look at me in derision. I couldn't have cared less - I had a damn good reason for what I was doing!

We reached home and my wife delivered her verdict - very nice, she said, I like it! Huge sigh of relief from yours truly! So what factors influenced her verdict? A few points, but significant. Low level of tyre/road noise, better insulation from traffic/street noise, and virtually no engine sound or vibrations. More powerful and quieter a/c. Higher level of sophistication in the cabin. Negative points - just one so far, and this occurred to both of us - the Ikon seats are better. More on this later. Full marks to the fabric covers, though.

As luck would have it I fell ill at that time, so the initial days the Fiesta spent idle in the garage.

Next few days I spent in bed. I read the manual line by line, cover to cover. Found a mistake about the lights when the car is opened - the side lights don't come on as said in the manual, only the indicators flash. So this is not a feature like Scorpio's "Follow me home". However, there's another useful feature - if the centre roof lamp switch is kept in the centre "door contact" position, the roof light comes on when the lock is opened with the remote key, even without opening the doors. This is bit of a nuisance in traffic signals, for when I switch off the engine to save fuel, the roof light comes on. So it's bit of a fiddle, but I like this feature anyway. It's useful at night.

Other first impressions - the power window switches are "pull up-push down" type that's a lot better than the "press down" for both in the Ikon. But, I prefer the position of the Ikon's power window switches that are set low on the door. Yes, yes, yes! I know that one needs "arms like an orangutan" (copyright Autocar India!) to operate them, but perhaps I do have orangutan arms because I like the Ikon's switches location. They actually fall much easier to hand. It's easier to operate the Ikon's low set switches while driving than the high set Fiesta's (which is the same as most other makes). I expect much puzzled head-scratching in the forum over this statement, but after a month of use and observation, I'm sticking to it!

Another point on the power window switches. The Ikon's switches, all of them on the driver's door, have a light in them. The Fiesta has just one lamp in the driver's door switch cluster. Not that it matters, I'm just mentioning it.

Interior cabin lights. Exactly the same and very useful configuration as the Ikon's. But, IMO, the Ikon's cabin lights are of superior quality. Yes, that's right. Probably the Ikon's are (or, were) imported. The position of the Ikon's rear reading lamps is different than the Fiesta's. Both have pros and cons, so it's subjective. Either way, I'm okay.

The roof handles in the front are awkwardly positioned in the Fiesta. Looking carefully, I realised that in the Fiesta, there's a change probably due to the increased slope of the front windshield and the top of the A pillar has intruded further into the passenger cabin; hence the handles would have had to be pushed back. (This increased slope also gives a deeper fascia, this too adds to the impression of space).

Switches are refined over the Ikon's. All switches are soft touch. The refinement in indicator/light and wiper stalks is very apparent. The Ikon switches are relatively crude in operation, though highly reliable and functional.

Light and wipers stalks. Much smoother than the Ikon's, and damped as well. The wiper has an extra feature - adjustable delay in the intermittent wipe. Nice, but nothing new - my 2002 Accent had this too.

I don't like the Fiesta's hi-beam switch. Pull to flash, pull harder to hi-beam, and pull hard again to dip. The Ikon's is more in keeping with the general design, and is better IMO. Perhaps subjective, so I won't argue this point.

The Fiesta's main light switch is ridiculous! It's a rotary switch on the dash. A simple matter of operating lights and fog lamps is a two handed operation! Didn't we have enough of this in the long gone Opels?

Couple of months ago, I drove a mHawk Scorpio SLE to Goa, and Ford engineers should take a ride in that to know what is a well-designed and made lights/indicator/fog and front/rear/washer/wiper stalk. In the Scorpio, one stalk controls ALL light and indicator functions front and rear, and the other stalk controls ALL washer and wiper functions, front and rear. And the controls and operation are very intuitive - I got the hang of it in a few seconds flat. While driving hard and fast, that's exactly what the driver needs - minimal distraction to operate these functions. I was driving Hubli to Ankola in quite heavy rains and it was dark as well. With the rains and dark conditions, I had to constantly operate the lights and front and rear wiper washers while keeping the mHawk on the boil. Except to change gears, I never had to take my hands off the wheel, and I never fumbled even once, it's that intuitive.

The S is meant to be driven hard and shouldn't be distracting the driver with clumsy two-handed operations. More important, while driving hard, the driver should not be made to take his/her hand off the steering wheel to fumble with something somewhere on the dash.

And the hood release lever. One day, some restless, inquisitive kid or a passenger with ants in his pants is going to ask "what's this?" and yank that lever. And after 3 months in hospital that owner's gonna sue Ford for a zillion bucks. Till that time we'll have to live with it.

I'm trying to recall, I think my Dad's Fiat (of 1960 vintage) had the lever on that side too. But, it also had Italian instruments and switches and many other parts, and I think was assembled out of imported components. Ford India has no such excuse for this stupidity, especially when the Ikon's is most intelligently placed (recessed into the underside of the steering column, invisible to anyone).

Yeah, with a dumbass lever like that, the Fiesta needs airbags alright.

Seat adjust options. Driver's seat height adjust, it claims, but it's not. It just changes the angle of the seat bottom. I had the same useless thing in my Accent. (Possibly many owners will write in to say it's useful to them, in which case, I'll withdraw the "useless" bit! No offence to anyone!).

The seat back angle adjust lever is again a step backwards from the Ikon. This lever is archaic. The Ikon's (at least in my model) is a simple but very effective knob that allows continuous variation and even while resting on the seat.

Front seats have better support, but the shape is not as good as the Ikon's. There's less under-thigh support too. Adjustments are way easier in the Ikon. More on this in the driving report that will follow.

Adjustable Steering: Present here, absent in the Ikon.

Both sun visors have vanity mirrors with covers. Nice, but I would have preferred a driver's side visor to have a spring loaded clip to hold small papers instead. It's just a suggestion, not a crib.

Instrumentation. Good and functional. I could ask only for an extra trip meter.

When I first saw the Distance To Empty (DTE), I thought this was just a gimmick. But, after 3 tank fills, I am surprised that the DTE is actually pretty accurate - each time I went in for a fill, the DTE has been spot on. I don't know how the DTE processor collects its data, but it estimates based on actual fuel consumption, like for long distance and town. So it may vary while running but when it comes down to 100 kms or thereabouts, I find to my pleasant surprise that it's right on the ball. When it's at 80 kms, the visual warning comes on in the panel. To add icing to this delightful cake, I would ask for a little audio warning along with the visual indication at 80 kms. The DTE is neat and it works very well. I now look at the fuel gauge only for confirmation.

The direction indicators lamps in the panel are too small, but the audio 'pip-pip' makes up.

The tach and speedo are more visible at a glance in the Ikon.

Visibility. Whew! Finally I can see what's behind me! The ORVMs are big and have excellent coverage and more than adequate image size. Rear view is great after the Ikon's highly restricted rear view. Electric ORVM adjust works well. Yes I know it's a common feature across all makes, but it's nice to have this comfort. While reverse parking very near to a kerb, sitting in my seat I can change the left mirror right down to see the kerb. Great.

There is more space inside the Fiesta in the front, that's sure. Doors have nice big pockets that hold even water bottles. There are ample pockets and cubby holes in the front and in the gear lever console there is a sliding bottle holder. All very useful on trips.

Rear side story is different. Pockets are there, but space here is less than the Ikon. The rear seat is more upright and not as comfortable. The Ikon is renowned for rear seat comfort, here that has been sacrificed for rear visibility it seems.

The Ikon has ample rear room and the seat back is angled backward comfortably. But this means that the boot got squashed and had to be made higher to get some decent volume. As a result, the infamous rear view in the Ikon. In the Fiesta, the dimensions are different - the boot has got more width and depth, and reduced height which results in a better rear view but compromised interior space as the boot intrudes further into the passenger compartment. As the boot has intruded inside, the seat back has to accommodate this and is hence possibly the reason for it being more upright.

(BTW, I don't have measurements to back up all this; these are my deductions from visual observations, so I could be wrong here and there).

The rear parcel shelf is at last usable. The Ikon's sloped down and nothing, not even a tissue box, could be kept there. Now with the Fiesta's wide, deep, and flat shelf, at least we can keep tissue box, cushions, newspapers, etc. Even more things can be kept there, but there are safety issues in keeping heavy items behind one's head - there's no protection for the head/neck. Talking about restraints...

Another rear seat observation: the rear seat bottom is hinged and can be opened out forwards. Why? For storage? I can understand this if the seat back can be folded down but this isn't so in the S, here in the S the back is locked. Looks like Ford kept the same bottom configuration as the ZXI/SXI for cost reasons, that's a reasonable assumption. If so, that begs the question: why not retain the head/neck restraints as well? Head/neck restraints are a safety feature and if the car has airbags and ABS as standard, why not restraints?

Crib, crib, crib...

Remote and central locking. Central locking is just like the Ikon's. The Fiesta however comes with a remote lock and PATS, Ford's anti-theft feature. The key has three buttons - open, close and boot release. The remote boot open is a useful feature.

The PATS is an engine immobilisation system that is activated automatically when the ignition is turned off and de-activated when the ignition is turned on. This means, if someone breaks into the car, he can steal whatever is in the car, but not the car itself. So it's up to the individual owner to decide if he/she wants burglar protection too. Presently, I'm happy with the PATS, but am wondering if the burglar alarm should be installed as well. While travelling I carry expensive camera gear and wouldn't like to lose it. Should I get extra protection? Fiesta owners, please advise and comment.

The boot appears much larger. It certainly is wider, which is an improvement over the Ikon's narrow boot. Every time my sister and bro-in-law come from Canada, I have to put one of their suitcases in the rear seat. I'm sure I won't have this problem in the Fiesta.

Wheels and tyres: Lovely, big 15" alloys with tubeless tyres. I like the Ford alloys, they're kind of quietly impressive.

Stock Audio Equipment. Have to give Ford a thumbs up for this. It has everything at basic level, and of good quality, except an USB and/or Bluetooth. It does have the aux in, but a USB or media card slot would have been better. Neither is there support for a multi CD changer. I prefer the quality of audio CDs to MP3 CDs, and I miss my 12 CD changer in my Ikon (that was an extra, though).

The speakers are a six speaker setup and are very good for a stock system. It reproduces bass. mid, and treble notes well. There's no distortion at high or low frequencies. I have an audiophile grade hi-fi rig at home and am accustomed to high quality audio, and the Fiesta's quality is pleasing. I guess for the average owner, this set up is fine, and an average owner won't need to spend a paisa on the audio gear.

As usual with Ford, there's no clock, but as the HU has a clock, there's no need actually.

Accessories. I usually like to keep my cars stock and add only what I feel is necessary. Have ordered a rear roll down blind, and bought an extra set of felt floor mats. Got a Garmin 265WT GPS, (with a lot of help from fellow T-Bhp-ian, Ampere - Ampere, thanks a ton for al your help!).

Will be doing the 3M or Waxoyl protection (which worked very well for my Ikon).

And that will be all; I don't foresee any other changes, or additions. Ford has pretty much given a finished product right off the shelf.

VFM compared to Ikon: I paid, (I think) Rs. 6.9 lakhs for my Ikon 1.6 and have paid Rs. 8.5 lakhs for my Fiesta. That's a lakh and a half more. Excluding the driving experience, did I get value for those extra bucks?

Let's take stock. From outside, we have the sport trim, and of course those big alloys and tubeless rubber with ABS; twin barrel headlamps, remote lock with PATS. Inside, airbags, electric ORVMs, adjustable steering, and a very good audio unit. Slightly better instruments (the DTE, really).

I think that takes care of half the cost difference or even more. Fiesta owners, are there any items I left out?

Fiesta owners, please advise me on:

1) whether anyone has felt the need for extra burglar alarm (like Autocop or Cobra).
2) this is my first experience with tubeless. Should I carry some repair kit? If so, where does one get it? What is the best way to repair tubeless tyres?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Next parts: Driving experience and opinion; and the decision making process, what made me choose the S.

Last edited by Damu : 23rd August 2010 at 19:01. Reason: Added some text
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:08   #2
BHPian

Wow! seems the most comprehesive ownership report so far for any car...will give a complete rundown late night..am yet to read the post...the sheer length is daunting;-}...keep the rest of the experience coming.

Last edited by sanjayc : 23rd August 2010 at 19:23.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

You could have just asked the Mods to reopen that other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
I had no opportunity to experience the S before I bought one as there was no demo car available and I knew no one who owned one. So the very first time I sat in one was in Metro Ford, in my own car, to take her home! Yet, as cautious as I am by nature, (2 whole years of research!), I did actually plonk down Rs. 8.5 lakhs for this car entirely on hearsay. That gives an idea of the huge reputation this car, and its siblings, have even amongst professionals and auto magazines; and the near fanatical devotion of its owners. From the kind of information available on the net, this is must be one of the most hyped cars in India.
Great! You are a true enthusiast Damu.

Quote:
So what factors influenced her verdict? A few points, but significant. Low level of tyre/road noise, better insulation from traffic/street noise, and virtually no engine sound or vibrations.
Oh, wait until you start you hearing the engine and the exhaust sing above 3K RPM. Or have you already?

Quote:

The Fiesta's main light switch is ridiculous! It's a rotary switch on the dash. A simple matter of operating lights and fog lamps is a two handed operation! Didn't we have enough of this in the long gone Opels?
But this is how it is in most European cars including BMWs. And why do you need 2 hands? Once I set the lights with my right hand, my hand never goes to the rotary switch again. I just operate the highbeams as and when I want with my left hand. Why are you using 2 hands to operate the switch?

Quote:
The S is meant to be driven hard and shouldn't be distracting the driver with clumsy two-handed operations. More important, while driving hard, the driver should not be made to take his/her hand off the steering wheel to fumble with something somewhere on the dash.
What exactly are you fumbling for in the dash? Why is your hand even going there once the headlights and fogs are on?

Quote:
If so, that begs the question: why not retain the head/neck restraints as well? Head/neck restraints are a safety feature and if the car has airbags and ABS as standard, why not restraints?
It does not have restraints, only thing is they are not adjustable. Only an issue if you have a really tall passenger in the back.

Quote:
Stock Audio Equipment. Have to give Ford a thumbs up for this. It has everything at basic level, and of good quality, except an USB and/or Bluetooth. It does have the aux in, but a USB or media card slot would have been better. Neither is there support for a multi CD changer. I prefer the quality of audio CDs to MP3 CDs, and I miss my 12 CD changer in my Ikon (that was an extra, though).
I got tired of the OE audio in less than a year. There is no bass to speak of and mids are a bit muddled. The overall clarity is still decent and voice reproduction is excellent. It's the best OE ICE in that segment, but if you like audio, you will end up upgrading.

Quote:
1) whether anyone has felt the need for extra burglar alarm (like Autocop or Cobra).
Nope.
Quote:
2) this is my first experience with tubeless. Should I carry some repair kit? If so, where does one get it? What is the best way to repair tubeless tyres?
Yes, buy a kit. There are several threads on TBHP itself.

Last edited by Gilead : 23rd August 2010 at 19:17.
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Damu, Awesome purchase! There is no better upgrade over the Ikon 1.6.

The garage pic of the S & the Ikon left me speechless. The S looks menacing in White.

White S No.3 followed by ~GS~ & Frankmehta!
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:50   #5
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase Damu.

About the rear seats being able to move forwards,people use it to hide their seat belt locks(an observation).Its kind of annoying.

And if you really want to improve the ride and handling,then consider getting new tyres like Michelin Pilot Preceda 2s or goodyear eagle f1s. I have the goodyears and they are awesome.

Its funny that the Figo Titanium gets more features in its ICE than Fiesta.Ford could at least plonk the same system.

And lastly consider underbody coating. The car is bound to ground on some of the "deadliest" road humps in bangalore.
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice comparo, Damu.

As regards the headlight switch, I see it also in Skodas and Mercs. The Ford S-Max I rented in UK had similar switches for headlights and for ORVM adjustment.
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great write up, Damu

Looking forward to more insight from you on the actual drive and handling!

Ps, did your landlord really say the garage thing?
Old 24th August 2010, 08:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Wow! ..am yet to read the post...the sheer length is daunting;-}...keep the rest of the experience coming.
Thanks Sanjay! Daunting is okay, hope it's not boring! Will be posting the rest over a few days..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
..Great! You are a true enthusiast Damu.
Thanks Gilead! I see this enthusiasm is very strong amongst all Ford owners, whatever the model.

Quote:
But this is how it is in most European cars including BMWs. And why do you need 2 hands?
I will answer this separately!

Quote:
It does not have restraints, only thing is they are not adjustable.
Don't think they are restraints, Gilead, they do not serve the purpose of "restraint" in a whiplash injury, which is exactly what they intended for, as opposed to "head rest". The ZXI/SXI restraints, however, do protect against whiplash injuries.

Quote:
I got tired of the OE audio in less than a year. There is no bass to speak of and mids are a bit muddled. The overall clarity is still decent and voice reproduction is excellent. It's the best OE ICE in that segment, but if you like audio, you will end up upgrading.
Gilead, as you know audio well, I can explain this - I am a fan of the "English" philosophy of speaker design and have bi-amped KEFs at home. These are very light on bass, and I am used to that.

The voice (mids) are very clear, and so also treble. One example - Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man", which has lovely subtle bass, mid and treble, is reproduced beautifully.

My point is only that Ford has given a good quality set for the average owner, like me. I am the type who keeps it low and generally only to keep me occupied peacefully at traffic lights...

Quote:
Nope.

Yes, buy a kit. There are several threads on TBHP itself.
Thanks for that. I will check the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Damu, Awesome purchase! There is no better upgrade over the Ikon 1.6.
The garage pic of the S & the Ikon left me speechless. The S looks menacing in White.
White S No.3 followed by ~GS~ & Frankmehta!
Hi Anachronix, thanks!

I have to thank you very specially because you gave a very correct analysis of Ikon to S comparision and that made my decision very much easier.

Muchas gracias, bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Congrats on the purchase Damu.
About the rear seats being able to move forwards,people use it to hide their seat belt locks(an observation).Its kind of annoying.
Thanks Aniket. You're right, when I took delivery, the seat belt locks were in fact hidden inside! That's how I realised first that the seat opens out!

Quote:
And if you really want to improve the ride and handling,then consider getting new tyres like Michelin Pilot Preceda 2s or goodyear eagle f1s. I have the goodyears and they are awesome.
Well as of now I am happy. Haven't really experienced the car enough. When I am due for replacement, I can select the alternatives. How much mileage have you done?

Quote:
And lastly consider underbody coating. The car is bound to ground on some of the "deadliest" road humps in bangalore.
Okay, I was thinking of doing this after the rains, is that okay?

Yes, Bangalore bumps are world famous! We are proud of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice comparo, Damu.
As regards the headlight switch, I see it also in Skodas and Mercs.
Thanks vnabhi! More on the switch later..

My neighbour's Fiesta is exactly like yours, same colour and model, and I always remember your car when I see his car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Great write up, Damu
Looking forward to more insight from you on the actual drive and handling!
Thanks anekho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Ps, did your landlord really say the garage thing?
No, just kidding! (Though I wish he did!).

Old 24th August 2010, 08:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Damu.

Congratulation on your S. Nice writeup though comparing with Ikon every now and then was going little over the edge but anyways quite a detailed report.

As Gilead had already pointed out regarding the rotary dial for headlamps, I had no issues till date. Once set you dont need to fiddle with it again. One thing which is annoying though is you havent switched on the rotary dial you would not see the Hi beam indicator on the dashboard even if you have switched it on. Many time during the dipper signal I happened to switch the Hi beam on without knowing it.

EvenI felt the turn indiactor lamps on the dashboard should have been brighter, had asked the ford service guys regarding the same. They said its std factory fit.

Happy mile crunching, drive safely.
Old 24th August 2010, 08:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Damu;2039284]Switches are refined over the Ikon's.

I am not entirely sure about this but maybe its cause we both have Ikons from a very different year of manufacture. Switch gear on my Ford is just brilliant. Has a nice solid feel when you operate them. I cannot say the same for the Figo which feels as if its about the break. Anil took delivery of a 1.2 Exi Figo yesterday and I took it for a short spin. While operating the indicator stalk it felt as if the stick was bending or should I say felt weak.

The Ikon's sloped down and nothing, not even a tissue box, could be kept there.

I agree and from the little I know this was done for safety. Many people have a habit of leaving a lot of trash or what ever you might want to call it on the rear parcel tray. It can be anything and during emergency braking these things left on the tray can come flying at you. Depending on what flys off the shelf, some things can cause injury. I do not recall where I read about this but back then this is what Ford had in mind and that is why they sloped it.

Stock Audio Equipment. Have to give Ford a thumbs up for this.

Absolutely. The Figo has a decent setup too for original equipment.

Don't bother with this. Keep expensive equipment out of sight.

Yes. You can get a tube less tire repair kit from any major tire dealer. You repair a tubeless tire with the repair kit. There is no other way. Even a tire dealer will use the same puncture repair kit.[/quote/]
Old 24th August 2010, 11:00   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on getting a true drivers car! Enjoy many more miles driving it.

Do post the pictures to make for a complete story.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gilead, as you know audio well, I can explain this - I am a fan of the "English" philosophy of speaker design and have bi-amped KEFs at home. These are very light on bass, and I am used to that.

The voice (mids) are very clear, and so also treble. One example - Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man", which has lovely subtle bass, mid and treble, is reproduced beautifully.

My point is only that Ford has given a good quality set for the average owner, like me. I am the type who keeps it low and generally only to keep me occupied peacefully at traffic lights...
I guess it's perfect for your listening tastes which is good for you. I like low bass, mid bass, accurate reproduction of cymbals and image between the front seats, so I upgraded. Actually its worth upgrading just so that you don't have to bother with CDs any more.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th August 2010 at 11:15.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:50   #13
BHPian

Hi Damu,

The bonnet will not release in full while moving, after you pull that lever, there is an extra lever will pop-up on the bonnet grill. You need to pull it and open, unless it will not open. So, the bonnet will not open and hide the visbility while moving if the level pressed accidently. Please correct me if something wrong.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Hi Damu,

The bonnet will not release in full while moving, after you pull that lever, there is an extra lever will pop-up on the bonnet grill. You need to pull it and open, unless it will not open. So, the bonnet will not open and hide the visbility while moving if the level pressed accidently. Please correct me if something wrong.
That is correct, but it will unlock the bonnet cover and the ram air might cause it to vibrate---that is sufficient warning to stop the car and close it tight, apart from giving the kid a piece of one's mind.

@damu---nice to know your neighbour has a car like mine. Looks like there are quite a few Fiesta's in your locality, eh?
Old 24th August 2010, 13:40   #15
BHPian

Damu,

Great comparison man, you covered almost everything . I picked my SXI on 6th Aug and have done 700km only yet. I also wanted to know how to adjust the watch on the HU not able to do it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks