Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 21:51   #1

Settled with Hyundai Elantra GLS

Finally, I have bought a 2004 Elantra GLS, 30K run.

Many thanks to Team-bhp for all those fantabulous reviews and driver experiences.

This is my first car. I was originally looking for Lancer, but couldn't really find a decent one and so slowly looked for other options. Looked for a spacious car (am a six footer myself). Comfort, looks and drive quality were the priorities.

After so much of contemplation, I went for the ElantraThough the FE is considerably low, I am completely satisfied with the car.

I took for a rain drive last weekend and was amazed with its power and stability at high speeds. With 5 people and boot load of things, it could easily overtake other vehicles without any lag. Cruising at 140 kmph - a perfect highway cruiser I should say. Brakes were so responsive. I got FE of around 8 inside city and 10-11 in the highways. As my driving is less, I am kind of OK with the FE that I get. I am certainly liking this car.

Special thanks to our member ElantraGT Hari without whom I wouldn't have bought this in this time - He mentored, helped, guided, accompanied (in many many test drives) during the hunt. Classic team-bhp spirit and a passionate car enthusiast himself.

Cheers to the forum and happy driving all,

/K
Old 25th August 2010, 02:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations !
2004 car and 30k kms only? You've got almost a new car. Mind sharing what you had to pay?

And please do post some snaps.
Old 25th August 2010, 03:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the first car!The Elantra was highly underrated.Will follow this thread closely
Old 25th August 2010, 07:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations!! That's a very low mileage for a 2004 vintage car, Did you check the service record and authenticity?

Any specific reasons for buying a Petrol Elantra over CRDi? The Elantra petrol had a reputation of being a fuel guzzler.

Please post some pictures before someone here says 'This thread is useless without pictures'.
Old 25th August 2010, 07:46   #5
BHPian

congrats on your purchase. Elantra was a lovely underrated car of its time. I remembering taking a test drive of the same about 5 years ago and boy was it spacious.

And im gonna repeat what the others have said....some pics buddy. update em quick.
Old 25th August 2010, 08:42   #6
BHPian

Congratulations. Elantra sure was the best package barring price from Hyundai.

I personally feel Elantra was the looker in otherwise average looking cars in Hyundai stable.

Wish you happy miles and good ownership experience..Drive safe.
Old 25th August 2010, 11:12   #7

Pictures and price

Thanks all for the wishes.
Spent almost 3L including the dealer commission, RC transfer, Insurance transfer, First service (Four disc brake pads changed (previous owner must have always run on half brakes as I heard from the service engineer), engine oil, air filter, oil filter, and a minor weld in the center muffler since there was an exhaust leak, etc).

Yes, I did check the service records before I bought the car in the Hyundai through my contacts and they were clear with no major accidental history. Once someone had rammed from the back and the boot + danger lights had been replaced. Nothing major apart from that. I had almost lost the hope of finding a good used car and that's when I saw this. I could have negotiated a bit more hard, but decided to pay a bit more premium as all other things were clean. Check out my old posts about when I had started my hunt

Now I am in the learning phase, trying to tame the beast. I have always been an average driver (cars) so far and wish I drive taking/making no harm.

I am glad to share the picture of the car -
Settled with Hyundai Elantra GLS-img_49061.jpg
Old 25th August 2010, 11:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Congratulations!! That's a very low mileage for a 2004 vintage car, Did you check the service record and authenticity?

Any specific reasons for buying a Petrol Elantra over CRDi? The Elantra petrol had a reputation of being a fuel guzzler.

Please post some pictures before someone here says 'This thread is useless without pictures'.
I was equally looking for Petrol and CRDI versions, but almost all the CRDIs that were available in the market were either over run or overly quoted. So, decided to pick up a decent petrol and pay that extra premium for diesel in the fuel expenses as my running will not be arbitrarily high.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:33   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Agreed, Low mileage CRDi's are very hard to find. Keep us updated with ownership experience, Regarding any queries on Elantra feel free to post any queries.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th August 2010 at 19:35.
Old 25th August 2010, 19:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S. View Post
decided to pick up a decent petrol and pay that extra premium for diesel in the fuel expenses as my running will not be arbitrarily high.
Wise decision...no point in picking up a million-km cdri hoping to save on fuel costs and end up spending more than that on up-keep.
Old 25th August 2010, 20:04   #11
BHPian

Congrats for the big Hyundai. It looks quite clean.
My best wishes for taming it.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. I got an Elantra from chennai only. Its a CRDi 2004 , 41000 kms run during last year july. But now it has run 67000 kms and going strong.
Old 25th August 2010, 21:43   #13
BANNED

Congrats KS Elantra had only two sore points mainly..1,Mileage in petrol cars 2.Low back seats/ back seats with very less thigh support

BTW Your cars alloys are Superb and i too like elantra
Old 26th August 2010, 00:07   #14
BHPian

Need more pictures to ensure you give justice to your car. By the way congrats on your new baby and wishing you many happy mile crunching
Old 26th August 2010, 22:47   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the car! Please note that Team-BHP does not permit booking / buying experience threads in the Test-Drives section anymore. For the benefit of members & guests alike, it is now imperative to include a complete report on the car (the driving experience / comfort / features, what you like, what you don't like etc.).

This thread is temporarily closed. Please PM me or report this post once you are ready to update with a complete driving report; that's when it shall be re-opened. Thanks for your support.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks