Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 12:24   #91
BHPian

I must say of all the car companies, it is ford that has brought up a lot of confusion with regards to the long term ownership experiences. If we look at maruti for example, i would say almost all are quite satisfied with their car, where as tata customers talk about the usual quality issues and how long term servicing cost goes up.

But for ford cars its 50-50. Some owners are extremely happy where as others are extremely unhappy with the same brand/model. I do not have any personal experience with ford products here in india so i wont come to any conclusions of my own.

But passing on what a friend of mine has faced (with his diesel 2007 fiesta), well so far, his power window motors have failed, his power steering has failed, the a/c compressor had to be replaced, pick-up decreased considerably and he says his car spends more time in the (dealer) service center than at home.

One very strange servicing incident happened to him 2 months back. His power steering had failed so he was told the unit could not be repaired and that he would have to wait a few days, maybe a week for a replacement part to arrive here in Siliguri (a Tier III city, Dist. Darjeeling, W.B). He was quoted Rs.17,000 for the part. So he was prepared for the expense and was waiting for it to be fixed. 1 month passed, no part, then another few weeks. finally after 2 months my friend gets a call from the workshop saying the part had arrived and the repair had been completed. He goes to the workshop to pick up the car and there they tell him, the price of the part had gone up since before and now it was going to set him back Rs.22,000. (is the price right? even at 17,000 the price seems a little too much?)

he was a bit shocked that something like this could happen but payed all dues, got the car home and is up for sale now. I personally love the look of the car and i have heard rave reviews about its ride and handling. But this incident with my friend has left me wondering and rethinking my view of the "ford" brand.

Just stating an experience which i found quite strange out here. The roads are extremely bad around these parts, so maybe that plays a major part in how your ford performs over the long run. So i guess the moral of the story is, if buying a ford, maintain it in tip top condition always and also look long & hard and do a detailed test before buying a used ford.

happy motoring

Last edited by amrisharm : 19th September 2010 at 12:26.
Old 20th September 2010, 06:28   #92
BHPian

I completely agree that you need to take utmost care of your Ford. I have been treating it well, in-spite of that I have had a failed power window motor and a few rattles. What baffles me is that the Power Windows are hardly used.

The car is superb when the roads are good, but give it a bad road, the rattles and sounds become very obvious, again this could be due to the hard suspension.

As for Power steering, my friends, EPS in his Honda City had some noise and guess what it takes 53000 to have it replaced. When you compare the cost of the parts, looks like Fiesta is cheaper, but the probability of them going bad seems to be higher and that reflects in the sale number as well.

If you treat your car like Shaju, you probably wont have any issues with a Ford, but if you abuse it, have your fingers crossed.

Last edited by Chillout : 20th September 2010 at 06:29.
Old 20th September 2010, 07:45   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
If you treat your car like Shaju, you probably wont have any issues with a Ford, but if you abuse it, have your fingers crossed.
+1 to that. Of all brands, I feel TATA cars are one of the most abused cars on Indian roads (Indica's and the likes). The way the cabbies treat them is real bad, but still they keep running. Yes, the interiors do make loads of rattles, but the rest of the car still keeps going good.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:45   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
@ Aloksriva: any experience with preowned fiesta 1.6, with more than 50k on the odometer ? The car you got was practically New (with 11k on the ODO)
True. However, it has done 50k+ kms as on date and runs without any problems whatsoever - probably on account of regular maintenance and replacement of parts than them being repaired (as if auth workshops give customers a choice there )
Given the kms it has clocked, it has become a perfectly eligible sample you asked for. Interested?

Quote:
anyways wish you many happy miles with this great car.
Thanks!
Old 20th September 2010, 11:05   #95
Senior - BHPian

This makes me wonder why everyone kept telling me to go a jap car when I was looking for a second hand drive when I was in the USofA and I had an option of a 5 year old Civic and a Focus of roughly the same age. My Ikon steering is making groaning noises and has become hard. Looks like a probable power steering issue and I am a wee bit tensed about how much i would have to shell out for a replacement.
Old 23rd September 2010, 19:34   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bush View Post
+1 to that. Of all brands, I feel TATA cars are one of the most abused cars on Indian roads (Indica's and the likes). The way the cabbies treat them is real bad, but still they keep running. Yes, the interiors do make loads of rattles, but the rest of the car still keeps going good.
@Chillout also: The discussion is probably reaching a logical conclusion..
Ford Cars are great and perform brilliantly; when driven on ideal roads, by ideal drivers, maintained ideally and serviced at authorized service stations. The breakdown is to be expected if any of the conditions are not met ??
so for rest of us we should be looking forward to buy cars that are designed to suit Indian conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
True. However, it has done 50k+ kms as on date and runs without any problems whatsoever - probably on account of regular maintenance and replacement of parts than them being repaired (as if auth workshops give customers a choice there )
Given the kms it has clocked, it has become a perfectly eligible sample you asked for. Interested?
Thanks!
You did not get it right, i meant those bought after covering 50k on the ODO;
that is the time they strike a sweet deal of being cheaper than equally run premium hatchback with loads of features and comforts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
This makes me wonder why everyone kept telling me to go a jap car when I was looking for a second hand drive when I was in the USofA and I had an option of a 5 year old Civic and a Focus of roughly the same age. My Ikon steering is making groaning noises and has become hard. Looks like a probable power steering issue and I am a wee bit tensed about how much i would have to shell out for a replacement.
Yeah most of people whom I know, who bought preowned Japanese cars seem to be satisfied (if not very happy) with the performance for the 8 years at least. after 8 years of ownership(total ownership) , even they seem have some issues.
Old 24th September 2010, 01:22   #97
BHPian

Dr Karthik I am an engineer and it was painful for me to just read how the car was treated, as a doctor you can imagine what could have happened to a human body> multiple partners, sea water to drink, banged around would it survive? Thats how I felt when I was reading your experience. All said and done the car might be happy with a guy who maintains 3 fiestas because its obvious that he will maintain it well. Hope your RITZ will have a happier times.
No offence but Ford service guys will make money out of you because an opputunity is there to make money.
Treat a car well and it will treat you well and that goes for any car or bike.
Old 24th September 2010, 10:13   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree that you need to take utmost care of your Ford. I have been treating it well, in-spite of that I have had a failed power window motor and a few rattles. What baffles me is that the Power Windows are hardly used.

The car is superb when the roads are good, but give it a bad road, the rattles and sounds become very obvious, again this could be due to the hard suspension.

As for Power steering, my friends, EPS in his Honda City had some noise and guess what it takes 53000 to have it replaced. When you compare the cost of the parts, looks like Fiesta is cheaper, but the probability of them going bad seems to be higher and that reflects in the sale number as well.

IMO any car will ditch you if you don't treat it well, not just Ford. As regards cost of a Power Steering, 22 K seems cheap compared to 53 K in the Honda City. Even Maruti used to charge 30K extra for the Lxi model of the WagonR over the non-PS Lx model.

The dwindling sales are more due to the new model that is expected in a few months time than to reliability issues.

Anyways, this argument can go on and on without reaching any logical conclusion. I am out of this thread from now.
Old 24th September 2010, 12:50   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
IMO any car will ditch you if you don't treat it well, not just Ford. As regards cost of a Power Steering, 22 K seems cheap compared to 53 K in the Honda City. Even Maruti used to charge 30K extra for the Lxi model of the WagonR over the non-PS Lx model.

The dwindling sales are more due to the new model that is expected in a few months time than to reliability issues.

Anyways, this argument can go on and on without reaching any logical conclusion. I am out of this thread from now.
Below are the differences between the WagonR Lx and LXI version:
Things present in the LXI that are absent in the LX

1) No silver coloured roof rails
2) No body coloured bumpers
3) No back door chrome garnish (its body coloured)
4) No chrome accentuated instrument panels and door handles
5) No door fabric
6) No rear seat adjustable head rest
7) No Power steering
8) No front power windows
9) No central door locking
10) No driver seatbelt warning lamp

Price difference Between LXI (3,65,000) and LX (3,35,000): RS. 30,000

Because these forums are visited by many potential buyers, both members and non members it would be highly recommended to get ones facts right before posting. Opinions can differ but not facts

happy motoring.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:05   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

@Doc:
Boss, Absolutely same same!!
Except that my story is one year ahead.I bought the fiesta in July this year.
guess what,same color,petrol and had done close to 50 k!
And there were some costs that i had factored-in, that had to/will be incurred within a year of ownership.
1.Service(of course-done)
2.ICE(done)
3.Tyres(another 5k to go)
4.Clutch-well, most mechs etc say 50k is more or less the end of life. and it has given up just y'day(clutch drag-car still moves with clutch pressed, and impossible to get in or out of gear)-would appreciate any help/costs in this.
5.New Alloys-soon enough.

But yes,one thing i kept as a last resort has been Ford Auth service centres.
I only go to them after i've met up with my mechanic.
Number 1:even if he makes an exaggerated expense sheet, its still cheaper than what ford quotes.They are still of the midset of replace rather than repair.
of course, in case of any major mechanical difficulties, which look as if they will require some jugaad for a local guy to fix, ford a.s.s it is,but for minor niggles, my guy fixes it pronto.

but no exorbitant or unforeseen costs so to speak.
For the joy of finding a good empty road, and the feel of a surging engine, nothing comes close.
And i dont let anyone else drive it, for i am too possesive and just so that i will know whether i am to blame for some fault, or is it something that just went wrong on its own.
so far, additional expense, major, has just been the stereo(just HU,speakers were good enough for my purposes).
rest all, well, with great(or rather,moderate) power comes a longer bill.
Old 24th September 2010, 15:13   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
as a doctor you can imagine what could have happened to a human body> multiple partners, sea water to drink, banged around would it survive? Thats how I felt when I was reading your experience.
Wow! What an analogy you have struck Engineer saa'b. Hopefully speaking in the language one understands should help
Re - treating your vehicle well, and it treats you well - SO TRUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
You did not get it right, i meant those bought after covering 50k on the ODO;
that is the time they strike a sweet deal of being cheaper than equally run premium hatchback with loads of features and comforts !
In fact, you did not get it right. Please re-read your post and my response to it - hopefully this time around you might identify the subtle humor ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

5) No door fabric
7) No Power steering

Because these forums are visited by many potential buyers, both members and non members it would be highly recommended to get ones facts right before posting. Opinions can differ but not facts
There are economies associated with bulk/OEM purchases because of which, MUL can offer these additional features for a mere INR 30k. However, what was being discussed was the cost incurred in case one need to get the power steering assembly replaced.

Quote:
Can I tag along?
Well, that wasn't a question, it was more FYI
Old 24th September 2010, 16:52   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit Tripathi View Post
Dr Karthik I am an engineer and it was painful for me to just read how the car was treated, as a doctor you can imagine what could have happened to a human body> multiple partners, sea water to drink, banged around would it survive? Thats how I felt when I was reading your experience. All said and done the car might be happy with a guy who maintains 3 fiestas because its obvious that he will maintain it well. Hope your RITZ will have a happier times.
No offence but Ford service guys will make money out of you because an opputunity is there to make money.
Well, You want a reply ?

Beer; worst than sea water, multiple partners I need not tell, so are accidents; still human being manages to live nonstop for 57yrs!
Imagine a car running nonstop for 1year at least !
My dear Engineer, Human Being; is far more superior than any car !!
Anyways, It is a great Idea to start another never ending thread..

In the new home also it will be driven by multiple drivers, two drivers and three brothers. His second fiesta was badly damaged in an accident, that is the reason he bought this car. he called up to confirm the registration change, said he had problems with AC.. But Luckily he knows a mechanic and does not depend upon Ford A.S.S.

Quote:
Yeah even I feel the same

Quote:
Re - treating your vehicle well, and it treats you well - SO TRUE!
Yup, that is the logical conclusion, I can understand the anger of fiesta fans..
Old 24th September 2010, 17:14   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Even Maruti used to charge 30K extra for the Lxi model of the WagonR over the non-PS Lx model.
Quote:

There are economies associated with bulk/OEM purchases because of which, MUL can offer these additional features for a mere INR 30k. However, what was being discussed was the cost incurred in case one need to get the power steering assembly replaced.
I just put the features up so that people wont actually think that a power steering alone on a Maruti WagonR costs Rs 30,000. I was in no way trying to compare the cost of a maruti part with that of ford cars or hondas.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:34   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am honoured !!. Touchwood. The only expense I had so far was changing the left door because wifee wanted to drive out of the compound ignoring a metal gate . That was her first and last drive in a fiesta, never asked me the keys again. I think its only Unni (fiesta diesel member) who has driven it for around 500+ kms on our photography drives.

Quote:
IMO any car will ditch you if you don't treat it well, not just Ford. ........Anyways, this argument can go on and on without reaching any logical conclusion. I am out of this thread from now.
I think the first part is what I had posted in the beginning of this thread and this arguements could go on forever without being much of a help to anyone in particular.

Doctorji, lets start a thread about Heart, that would be a very useful and informative area which will lead all our dear members to live with a healthy heart ! Looking forward to that and I am out of here too .
Old 24th September 2010, 17:36   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post

5) No door fabric
7) No Power steering

happy motoring.
I am responding to a pm sent on this post by someone drawing my attention. My Lxi has none of the features you've mentioned, except the central door locking, which I'd missed out. Yet I paid 30 K more than my brother who bought an Lx in 2001/ 2002

In case you think features offered now were there in 2001, please cross-check before you post. It is possible they introduced them in later years.

While on this, I feel charging 30 K only for power steering and manual central locking 9 years ago was daylight robbery compared to the same amount today.

Last edited by vnabhi : 24th September 2010 at 17:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks