Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 21:51   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by althaaf View Post
I fixed a reverse sensor with camera from the dealership itself.
@Althaaf - First off, congratulations on your new buy. Although I'm personally not a huge fan of the Jetta's exterior looks(little bland for my taste), I completely admire the new 2.0L engine, running-on-rails kind of handling,the blow-away-all-competition feature list and the fabulous interiors.

My brother recently got the 2.0L Jetta Comfort Line in Graphite blue. One thing that baffles me is why VW is not offering the Reverse Camera as standard even in the top trim. Could you post some info on the Reverse Camera that you got fixed. Also from the picture that you have posted, I can see that the output of the Reverse Camera is on the Interior Rear view Mirror. Is it possible to have the camera output on the Multifunctional LCD Touch Screen? Did you think about this while installation?

A few pictures of the camera in action would be great. Like the output on the mirrors, the mounting on the rear bumpers etc.

Thanks,
Arun Chandranath
Old 21st September 2010, 14:14   #47
BHPian

Hi arunchandranath, Even i was thinking of getting the reverse camera attached to the company fitted music system's lcd display. But after so many researches online and offline i found that our cars has RCD510 music system which supports only radio and various audio cds and mp3s. there is no video input option in order to connect the external video(ie from reverse camera). But i was very adamant to get this working. I found that jetta which is sold abroad has this feature inbuilt in the music system, later i found the music system which supports full parking assist wth navigation(gps) is needed to to achieve this. The model number of this system is RNS 510 which will cost around 2laks including taxes and all in india! So finally i decided to manage with what is available in india and hence i got this rear view mirror lcd. The quality is not top notch, but we have no other option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunchandranath View Post
@Althaaf - First off, congratulations on your new buy. Although I'm personally not a huge fan of the Jetta's exterior looks(little bland for my taste), I completely admire the new 2.0L engine, running-on-rails kind of handling,the blow-away-all-competition feature list and the fabulous interiors.

My brother recently got the 2.0L Jetta Comfort Line in Graphite blue. One thing that baffles me is why VW is not offering the Reverse Camera as standard even in the top trim. Could you post some info on the Reverse Camera that you got fixed. Also from the picture that you have posted, I can see that the output of the Reverse Camera is on the Interior Rear view Mirror. Is it possible to have the camera output on the Multifunctional LCD Touch Screen? Did you think about this while installation?

A few pictures of the camera in action would be great. Like the output on the mirrors, the mounting on the rear bumpers etc.

Thanks,
Arun Chandranath
Old 21st September 2010, 17:57   #48
BHPian

Well..you were spot on comparing the pros and cons of both Cruze and Jetta. I felt the very same thing and each of your point are relevant.
Space in Cruze is tight (even tighter than my Optra). The Chevy's engine is powerful, but the turbo lag is irritating. Then I also hear the automatic takes care of that.
However, the Chevy's interior quality is an absolute let down. I think the only thing in it's favor is the cheaper price tag and the endless list of gizmos. And if I am not wrong, the spare parts/service of Chevy will always be way cheaper than VW.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 21st September 2010 at 17:59.
Old 21st September 2010, 18:47   #49
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, congrats on the buy brother. Drive safe, stay blessed!

Now to the point, just yesterday I had an opportunity to 3 cars on THE most perfect of roads available in my place. The cars were, Skoda Superb 1.8TSi DSG, Honda Civic 1.8V MT and the VW Jetta TDi Comfortline MT. I was having a time of my life with both the former cars but the Jetta left me well, irritated. The clutch was rattling like no tommorow and felt as if I'm not driving and is at the masseur's having my leg massaged on some automated crap, don't know this is an issue with the car in general or was it just that one piece, the car in question is a brand new(hardly 1800kms on odo). While the "Barge" Superb 1.8TSi managed a top whack of 184 kmph and even the four pot Jap managed 160ish, but the Jetta just refused to go northwards 140. I'd be really grateful if someone could explain me as to why this happened, This is the first time I've driven a MT VW and is completely unaware and unheard of such issues in a German car
Old 21st September 2010, 20:11   #50

Quote:
I found that jetta which is sold abroad has this feature inbuilt in the music system, later i found the music system which supports full parking assist wth navigation(gps) is needed to to achieve this. The model number of this system is RNS 510 which will cost around 2laks including taxes and all in india!
2 Lakhs!!! That is just for the Head Unit I reckon. And even after paying that huge amount, you would still have to shell out the money for the Reverse Cameras and then the Installation charges. And you would be still left with the OE Music system, I doubt Volkswagen India would offer to buy it back.

What is beyond me is why VW wouldnt even considering offer this feature as a option in India

Quote:
So finally i decided to manage with what is available in india and hence i got this rear view mirror lcd. The quality is not top notch, but we have no other option
with Althaaf on that one. If not the best, go for the next best option. BTW, could you share more information on that please. The make and model. I remember reading that you had got it from the Volkswagen dealer itself. how much did they charge including the whole installation? How does the camera sit on the rear bumper(As in, is the installation pretty neat or does the camera bulge out and stuff). A close up pic of the rear bumper would be great. And also of the IRVM when the reverse gear is engaged.

Thanks and Regards
Arun Chandranath
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:12   #51
ajai_dev

Loved the Jetta on Space and Drive but the Cruze is really a rocket makes you forget everything else

Jetta and Corolla Atlas are such cars that are very dull but they both do appeal to people who believe in the phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as such both have certain charm about them so they cant be compared to the same std as mouth breaker Cruze.

In fact Jetta and Corolla Atlas are excellent chauffeur cars and you can drive them also once in a while but they will not give you the thrills that Cruze does. Drove the Jetta diesel and compared to Corolla diesel its way ahead in engine refinement but overall they both are similar in other characteristics.

Given that the next gen Jetta will be a huge car and Corolla will probably remain the same with few alterations as it has since last few years we can expect either of the extremes, lets see what the future hold's

Old 22nd September 2010, 01:15   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
Loved the Jetta on Space and Drive but the Cruze is really a rocket makes you forget everything else

Jetta and Corolla Atlas are such cars that are very dull but they both do appeal to people who believe in the phrase "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" as such both have certain charm about them so they cant be compared to the same std as mouth breaker Cruze.

In fact Jetta and Corolla Atlas are excellent chauffeur cars and you can drive them also once in a while but they will not give you the thrills that Cruze does. Drove the Jetta diesel and compared to Corolla diesel its way ahead in engine refinement but overall they both are similar in other characteristics.

Given that the next gen Jetta will be a huge car and Corolla will probably remain the same with few alterations as it has since last few years we can expect either of the extremes, lets see what the future hold's
I find it hard to believe you drove the Corolla and cant even get the name right. Its ALTIS. Also the Jetta is a different league compared to the Altis, the slick shifting gearbox, precise steering and brilliant handling and ride.

Also the 110bhp engine isnt exactly a slouch, but true, it cant be compared to the Cruze engine.
Old 22nd September 2010, 01:37   #53
ajai_dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I find it hard to believe you drove the Corolla and cant even get the name right.
Ya sorry my browser auto corrected it to atlas from ALTIS have to insert it into the word directory.

Yes Jetta is in a different league the price difference between the cars is about 2Lac but still both do make excellent chauffeur driven cars

I did point out that the engine in the Laura is much better and refined than the Corolla but they are similar in other things such as the relaxed styling and even the space offered in the rear seats is very similar.

Jetta has a very good gearbox but the 6 speed on the corolla is also quite good, the steering on the corolla is a EPS and yes the one on the Jetta is better.

Old 28th September 2010, 10:34   #54
BHPian

Got call from chevy manager!

Finally, today morning got a call from chevy manager telling he was shocked to read my review. He told he wants to know the executives name who attended me. I told i dont remember his name since i didt want anything bad to happen to him. But i think its not difficult for them to find who attended me from their dealership records. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the executive. Its just that he did t have much knowledge about that car. I would say its the problem with the car dealer / company that failed to educate the executive properly. They cant just blame the executive and take action. instead i wish they educate their executives. Anyway am happy to hear that "we are taking corrective measures".
I wish i ll meet the same executive in the showroom with better knowledge next time i consider a captiva! Chevrolet, educate them properly, am considering one suv also!
Old 15th April 2011, 15:27   #55
anb
BHPian

Re: Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

My Cruze starts pulling from 1300RPM and its peak torque is at 2600rpm. .
The peak torque of cruze now comes at 2200 rpm. GM changed the engine torque characteristics to reduce turbo lag. Earlier cruze ( which has peak torque at 2600 rpm) pulls from 1800 rpm. Newer versions pulls from 1300-1350 rpm.
Old 1st October 2011, 01:14   #56
BHPian

Re: Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze

@Scorcher : you might wanna get that particular jetta checked at the workshop. The clutch rattling/vibrating issue is not present on the other cars or atleast the ones ive driven and I own one myself.

Secondly somethings seriously wrong with the car if its only 1800 kms old and wont go beyond 140. You should be crossing that figure in 4th very easily. 4th gear is good enough for about 180 ish. Ive seen 197 on the speedo of my own car and it would have gone up by about 5 or so kmph. So thats probably about 185-186 true top end !

Cheers.

PS I just realised that Ive bumped a thread thats a year old! I kept reading the date as 2011 for some reason! :P

Last edited by prashanth_benz : 1st October 2011 at 01:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks