Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2010, 02:28   #1
BHPian

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze

hi friends,

Day before yesterday, i took delivery of brand new jetta comfortline crdi white color. we had in mind that we need a diesel car around 15 lak. so we short listed first hand cruze ltz, second hand slightly used jetta automatic, c220 merc. we didt consider skoda cos of the terrifying reviews about them in tbhp. I wasted around a wk searching for a good condition used c220 in Kerala, and was only getting 2002 model around 40k run cars at this price. so everybody at home became against that. then we considered a used jetta automatic, 2009 Aug model with 30k on oddo!. After inspection i found that left back door has been replaced after some minor accident, vw symbol on the front left and right alloys missing,rt ORVM slightly broken and the car don't look as if it was just 1 yr old. the owner was asking 15 lak for this car. The only thing attracted me was the gearbox. The dsg automatic rocks. later in the evening i checked tbhp and understood that this car had an older pd engine as against the new crdi, and the company has discontinued the automatic version due to some reason. So i canceled this car. The next car i checked was a new cruze (td car). Am terribly impressed by the cars looks and the road presence. it makes all heads turn. great looking car with so many pep features. The version they showed me was an automatic version ltz. It had features like sunroof, funky looking(smart) interiors, key less usage, and lot of bhp!
now about test drive of cruze. first thing i found was a negative point. the car look huge from outside only. inside its damn small. i found my old santro much more comfortable and spacious from driver seat. am 6ft tall and if i sit comfortably, no one can sit behind. if i sit on passenger seat fully moved backwards, i still wont b able to open the dash glove box. it just hits my knee. once you press the accelerator, first thing u will say is that it got lot of horses under the hood. Shift to second gear, the first thing u will notice is that few horses went to sleep! i mean lot of turbo lag, i found it more irritating when down shifting for overtaking and all( overtaking was not possible in 5th or 4th during many instances)
It had 2 airbags, cruise control,sunroof,key less entry, integrated music system. climate control(not dual zone). Inside looks pretty much modern. look at the speedo and other dials, one will feel you are sitting in some super luxury car(just looks). The sales executive was having very less knowledge. I asked him if this car had traction control and all. he said abs is standard and traction control is optional. i asked him what does he mean by optional and he told we will have to purchase it additional as accessory!. i was really shocked to hear this!. i asked him about the average millage and he said 25km/l. then he corrected it to 20. Then i asked him why is the display showing average as 9.6/100km. He told right now we are getting 9.6km/l! He later told the millage is just this much cos its a test drive car. Anyway, i was totally disappointed with cruze, the brand, and the executive.
Then after reaching home i decided to add altis diesel also to the list and called the Toyota showroom in our town for a test drive. and i got a really bad response from them. They told they cant issue td car unless they feel am a genuine customer. I asked them "how will i make you feel that". So they told i will have to go to their showroom and there they will identify me as a genuine customer and not a time pass td guy! i was little disappointed with this response, but still i was ready to go there and asked them when should i go there and they asked me not come if i want the car before December as they still don't have permission to sell the car. They are waiting for approval from manufacturer, then they have waiting period also. hearing this all, i dropped the plan of even taking test drive of diesel altis.

Then i called the vw showroom in cochin. They seemed very interested in listening to me. cochin is around 90km from my place, so i was little worried on how to ask for a test drive. But the executive there was really nice and asked me if i can go to their place for td, so i told my difficulty, but i was surprised to hear that they are ready to come to my place for td. They fixed an appointment according to my timings and reached my home on time.
Now about the car, if you compare this with a cruze, i should say both are in different categories. cruze is a modern,smart n naughty looking car. but jetta has that royal look with lot of chrome everywhere. so basically one cant just compare both. both the cars are best in its category. Now interior,jetta had more than enough legroom shoulder room etc. Even if i move the front seats backwards, there is enough legroom behind. music system is rcd510 touch screen which sounded way better than the one in cruze. The dials, switches and all had chrome inserts and looked premium compared to low quality plastics in cruze. VW has given enough importance to minute details in this car, for example, there is a mirror in both sun visors in the front. but the mirror is covered with a sliding door which once opened will turn on a light just above the visor. it just add to the convenience.

Now me in the driving seat. It lacked the push start which was there in the cruze,there is lot of knee room,tilt and telescopic steering, a bigger multi function display which controls a lot of things, seats had electrically adjustable lumbar support which cruze didt have. i started engine and found that engine sound is more than that of older pd and that of cruze. Slotted in to first gear. my god the car felt more powerful, had enormous torque. turbo kicked in at around 1400 compared to 3500 or some thing in cruze. so definitely no turbo lag and overtaking is a easy job. I loved the engine. I asked about fuel efficiency and the exec told around 20 and the car was showing around 18. he asked me to expect anything between 16-19 and not less than 15. he showed me a lot of features:
  • automatic rain sensing wipers(also seen in cruze)
  • automatic headlights(not sure if its there in cruze)
  • touch screen music system sound quality is excelent(single line display in cruze, no ts)
  • better fuel efficiency
  • dual zone climatronic ac
  • excellent multi function display inside the meter console
  • full control on the steering from music system to mfd
  • cooled glove box
  • motion sensor inside the cabin
  • 8 air bags(only 2 in cruze)
  • electronic stability program ESP (which includes abs, traction control etc) (not seen in cruze)
  • mirrors on both sun visor with individual lights
  • there is one indirect cooling ac duct on front dashboard
  • interior not cramped like cruze
  • excellent response from engine
  • longer service interval(15k kms)( for cruze, the executive told 15 k service interval but told there is inspection every 5k km which is too less an service interval)
  • better brand image compared to Chevrolet
  • additional 12v point in the boot for connecting refrigerator etc.
  • remote boot opening
  • hydraulic hood opening
  • control all 4 windows opening closing and position via remote control
  • excellent road grip, precise braking and perfect cornering
  • if u apply brakes in a steep slope where the car is stationary, and u remove brakes, the card wont slip backwards for few seconds. brake stay active for a while. Good feature if car stalls in high range.
negatives i found in jetta
  • no sun roof even in higher models.
  • even though bluetooth telephone options are given in the center console, steering , music system etc, it is not active in India.
  • in the mfd, tire pressure monitoring is also disabled in Indian versions.
  • slightly noisy engine
  • expensive compared to cruze!
From all these i decided to extend my budget further to 17.98 laks and buy new jetta comfortline.
and finally after a long waiting period of 3 days i took delivery of the jetta. it looked marvelous, a class above. i opted for white color, beige and black interior. oddo showed 12km reading at the time of delivery. i fixed a reverse sensor with camera from the dealership itself. dealer was not ready even to give floor mats complimentary, all i got was free insurance bumper to bumper worth rs 64000/. there is no limit for rpm or speed during first 1 k or something.
its an excellent drivers car with lot of potential in it. am quite happy with my decision. what do you guys think about my car?
attaching few pics(low quality cos i took in mobile)

PS: This review is not to criticize any particular car model, its my sincere effort to bring pros and cons in 2 models
thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-28082010354.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010356.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010362.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010364.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010365.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010371.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010372.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010374.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-31082010376.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-31082010377.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010355.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010367.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010370.jpg  

Took delivery of a VW Jetta, after considering the Chevy Cruze-29082010373.jpg  

althaaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2010, 03:27   #2

Thats how you loose a potential customer! Simple ignorance..Well, Congratulations, An expensive purchase-I can't say much about the car as haven't experienced it being based abroad but have sure heard a lot so must be worth it. All I will say is Safe Driving and Pictures please mate!!
Old 1st September 2010, 05:13   #3
BHPian

Congrats Althaaf, This is Indeed one of the best masterpiece by a brand like VV, I like Jetta's Handling, its awesome, I may have a Jetta of my own in near future
Old 1st September 2010, 05:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice buy - congratulations.

Question : Why air-bag on off switch is provided?
(See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...9082010367.jpg )
Old 1st September 2010, 06:22   #5
BHPian

Good review/write-up and a nice car. Congratulations and happy motoring ;0

Prem.
Old 1st September 2010, 06:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
(See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...9082010367.jpg )
For those times when a kid is sitting on front passenger seat, you can switch off the air-bag as it may hurt instead protecting the kid during accident! I am guessing...
Old 1st September 2010, 07:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Passenger side air bags can be turned off in case there is a child seat being used in the front seat. If the air bag deploys in such a case, it can cause severe injury to the child.
Old 1st September 2010, 07:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta. You have got the best diesel car in that segment. What is a 'motion sensor'?
Old 1st September 2010, 07:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Jetta!

Even though the dealer didn't advise anything keep the revvs below 2k in the initial 1k Kms forproper bedding in of the engine.

Cheers
Old 1st September 2010, 08:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and have great time with the car. My brother is getting one in couple of weeks.
One thing I notice is when you see the rear of Jetta from a distance, you feel like the tail lamp is broken due to the fully transparent lights.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313 View Post
Thats how you loose a potential customer! Simple ignorance..Well, Congratulations, An expensive purchase-I can't say much about the car as haven't experienced it being based abroad but have sure heard a lot so must be worth it. All I will say is Safe Driving and Pictures please mate!!
thanks buddy, you are right this is how toyota and chevrolet lost a potential customer. pictures are already there. please wait for it to load

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Passenger side air bags can be turned off in case there is a child seat being used in the front seat. If the air bag deploys in such a case, it can cause severe injury to the child.
exactly. thats the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Congrats on the Jetta. You have got the best diesel car in that segment. What is a 'motion sensor'?
thanks dude, motion sensor is to monitor the in cabin movements. for example if we lock the doors and keep the windows open, and somebody try to put their hand inside then the car will detect that and turns on the alarm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Congrats on the Jetta!

Even though the dealer didn't advise anything keep the revvs below 2k in the initial 1k Kms forproper bedding in of the engine.

Cheers
ok dude. but the dealer asked me not to control revs, he asked me to throttle it hard. he told company specifically asked them to tell customers not to control. after all its under 4yrs warranty!
Old 1st September 2010, 10:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

hehehe, so the new Altis diesel has this amazing feature: TDSS
(Test Drive Screening System).

Although Kerala has 5 Toyota dealerships, 3 of them are owned by one group and the remaining 2, by the other group. Automakers should consider denying a second dealership to the present dealers. There would have been more competition and better service had the five dealerships been separate entities.

Compare Cruz with the movie 2012 and the Jetta, The War of the Worlds. Both are end-of-the-world thrillers, both are super hits, both were directed by super directors..but still Roland Emmerich is no match for Spielberg and it is very evident.

All the above are purely IMO. No offence please and @Altaf, congrats! Even though your car has no official run-in period, still consider staying under a self-imposed limit for the first 1-2K. It won't bring your car any harm.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
It can also reduce the costs in case of deployment of airbags!
Old 1st September 2010, 10:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
hehehe, so the new Altis diesel has this amazing feature: TDSS
(Test Drive Screening System).

Although Kerala has 5 Toyota dealerships, 3 of them are owned by one group and the remaining 2, by the other group. Automakers should consider denying a second dealership to the present dealers. There would have been more competition and better service had the five dealerships been separate entities.

Compare Cruz with the movie 2012 and the Jetta, The War of the Worlds. Both are end-of-the-world thrillers, both are super hits, both were directed by super directors..but still Roland Emmerich is no match for Spielberg and it is very evident.

All the above are purely IMO. No offence please and @Altaf, congrats! Even though your car has no official run-in period, still consider staying under a self-imposed limit for the first 1-2K. It won't bring your car any harm.
hahahaha TDSS is a new innovative technology developed by the toyota dealer in my town! they will keep one exam to see how interested we are to buy their car. before exam there will be an interview at the toyota dealership at their convenience!
am kidding, (the above said is just for fun and not to insult any particular person or organisation).

sure sandeepmdas, am not flooring the car much, everything is in limits. thanks buddy
Old 1st September 2010, 10:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car.

nice pictures, purchasing experience written well.

How much is the PSI recommended for the car? Also, what all features are there on the inside rear view mirror ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks