Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2010, 11:11   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
While going through the brochure found the petrol ones have an 'Electric Hydraulic power steering' and the diesel one have 'Electronic power steering'. What is the difference between them?

Which one of them have good response?
The Electric Hydraulic has a 'truer' response, since it has a mechanical connection as well. As far as I know - I think both petrol and diesels have EPS now, no hydraulics in the newer versions.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:03   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
ORVMs are definitely fold-able. It can be moved in both directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
No that is not correct. The mirrors does fold in both directions. It is tight though.
Thanks Guys for the confirmation, even I was having the same doubt because I tried many times and found it very hard to fold, though I remember in GTOs review he mentioned that it folds in the opposite direction too. Didn't apply much force lest it gets broken . Thanks Nowwhat for raising this query.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 7th September 2010 at 12:04.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Thanks Guys for the confirmation, even I was having the same doubt because I tried many times and found it very hard to fold, though I remember in GTOs review he mentioned that it folds in the opposite direction too. Didn't apply much force lest it gets broken . Thanks Nowwhat for raising this query.
Cant help confirming this - this was tested on the road! One biker, while squeezing past my Polo on the signal, hit my mirror with a nice thud. This was from behind, so opposite direction of normal fold. My heart sank - preparing for the worst. Thankfully, nothing happened - the mirror had moved forward, and the biker, very civilly - corrected the position to the normal. So instead of heated words - a smile and a salute, and we were both off to our destinations.
Old 7th September 2010, 12:57   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
The Electric Hydraulic has a 'truer' response, since it has a mechanical connection as well. As far as I know - I think both petrol and diesels have EPS now, no hydraulics in the newer versions.
What is the difference between electric hydraulic and hydraulic power steering?

Polo brochures is attached below saying electronic PS for diesel.
My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-clipboard01.jpg
Regards
Old 7th September 2010, 13:35   #50
BHPian

Quote:
What is the difference between electric hydraulic and hydraulic power steering?

Polo brochures is attached below saying electronic PS for diesel.
Attachment 419785
Regards
Here's Chetan's earlier response on this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1986694

And another one, where we believe it is only electric assist now also in the petrol (sadly):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1991002
Old 7th September 2010, 16:18   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Quote:
Cant help confirming this - this was tested on the road! One biker, while squeezing past my Polo on the signal, hit my mirror with a nice thud. This was from behind, so opposite direction of normal fold. My heart sank - preparing for the worst. Thankfully, nothing happened - the mirror had moved forward, and the biker, very civilly - corrected the position to the normal. So instead of heated words - a smile and a salute, and we were both off to our destinations.
Images of the ORVM folded in and out below. Please ignore poor quality cell cam grab.
Attached Thumbnails
My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-folded-back.jpg  

My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-folded-forward.jpg  

Old 7th September 2010, 18:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Images of the ORVM folded in and out below. Please ignore poor quality cell cam grab.
Thanks, sadnabrina! Your pictures make the matter as clear as daylight.

But the mirror doesn't nudge easily by hand I think. I yanked at it with what I thought to be a lot of force and then felt it's better not to break it in the process of experimentation.

This morning when I looked fuel economy was 11.7 kmpl. I am glad it is higher than 10!

My wife drives sedately, perhaps that's the reason why and also maybe because we are putting in regular fuel from a known petrol pump.

I am eagerly waiting to do some spirited driving this weekend.

I don't think the engine is overheating. I think it just feels very hot.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's Chetan's earlier response on this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1986694

And another one, where we believe it is only electric assist now also in the petrol (sadly):
It does not look like a misprint. Even the VW dealer says it is Electric-hydraulic steering in the petrol Polos.
Old 7th September 2010, 21:49   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I don't think the engine is overheating. I think it just feels very hot.
Not sure if you have noticed this, but the bonnet inside cover does not have any heat / noise shield. This makes the bonnet hot to touch after a few kms of driving. The Swift's bonnet had a heat shield and the result was a touchable bonnet even after hours of driving.
Old 7th September 2010, 22:00   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
It does not look like a misprint. Even the VW dealer says it is Electric-hydraulic steering in the petrol Polos.
My parking spot at home requires me to make a slightly complex manoeuvre of the car including forward and backward moves with lock to lock turns. During such manouvers I have noticed that when I turn the steering from one end to the other on a near static Polo (on a silent night), the power steering unit emits a noise which seems like hydraulic pistons moving. On a typical Suzuki Electronic Power Steering Unit (tried on Swift and Ritz) there is not such noise. This makes me believe that the PS does have a hydraulic mechanism built in.
Requesting the experts' opinions please.
Old 7th September 2010, 23:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if you have noticed this, but the bonnet inside cover does not have any heat / noise shield. This makes the bonnet hot to touch after a few kms of driving. The Swift's bonnet had a heat shield and the result was a touchable bonnet even after hours of driving.
I touched the car today and felt the heat. It is quite hot! I was worried about the impact that kind of heat would have on the paint.

Do you think I should go to the dealer and get the coolant filed to the brim?

By the way after seeing your mail, I finally mustered enough courage to check out the ORVM movement. It works exactly the way you said it would.

Quote:
My parking spot at home requires me to make a slightly complex manoeuvre of the car including forward and backward moves with lock to lock turns. During such manouvers I have noticed that when I turn the steering from one end to the other on a near static Polo (on a silent night), the power steering unit emits a noise which seems like hydraulic pistons moving. On a typical Suzuki Electronic Power Steering Unit (tried on Swift and Ritz) there is not such noise. This makes me believe that the PS does have a hydraulic mechanism built in.
A dumb question: Would the presence of a container for power steering fluid by any chance indicate that it is a hydraulic or electro-hydraulic system?
Old 7th September 2010, 23:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Service engineer at the VW dealership, confirmed to me that it is EPS in Polo 1.2 Petrol & Diesel, which are coming out these days. Initial 1.2 Petrol Polo, had Electric-Hydraulic PS. May-be Poloman's Polo will have Electric-hydraulic PS.

But he did not say/know about 1.6 Petrol, obviously since it was not yet launched.

If it is Electric-hydraulic mechanism, there should be an fluid reservoir for PS, under the bonnet. Can you check and confirm?

Quot from Nowwhat?:

I touched the car today and felt the heat. It is quite hot! I was worried about the impact that kind of heat would have on the paint.

Do you think I should go to the dealer and get the coolant filed to the brim?

A dumb question: Would the presence of a container for power steering fluid by any chance indicate that it is a hydraulic or electro-hydraulic system?

End

Paint can have an impact, in a long run. Better raise the issue with the Dealer. But any way - You have paint warranty for 3 years. If there is a problem, we will know much before that.

Coolant is for the internal circulation. It will not have any impact on the heat that is radiated from the engine. Heat shield as in Diesel Polo, could solve the problem.

You are right. If there is a PS fluid container, it is electric-hydraulic PS.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 7th September 2010 at 23:51.
Old 8th September 2010, 16:52   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Paint can have an impact, in a long run. Better raise the issue with the Dealer. But any way - You have paint warranty for 3 years. If there is a problem, we will know much before that.
I really wonder: what does paint warranty mean? For conditions like engine overheating and causing an issue - that would be taken care of. But what other conditions does paint warranty cover?
Old 8th September 2010, 19:48   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I really wonder: what does paint warranty mean? For conditions like engine overheating and causing an issue - that would be taken care of. But what other conditions does paint warranty cover?
Body parts of all Polos are galvanized in the first place. Then the surface is prepared & primed, before the painting process starts. If this is not done properly, it can lead to bubbles, rust...etc. Warranty covers all manufacturing defects. It also covers defects, arising from things which are not caused by user negligence.

Generally, damage resulting from scratches, accidents, negligence...etc, will not be covered. But if the paint chips off on the bonnet, because of over heating, it should be covered since it is not the user's mistake.

Warranty is 3 years for Paint defect & 6 years for corrosion.

additionally, there is a thick plastic sheet (approximately 3-4mm thick) covering the entire under-body of the Polo. This is to protect it from any possible minor impacts and also to keep it clean. I have not seen this in any other car, in this segment so far. May-be, Fabia might also have it.
Old 8th September 2010, 22:30   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hearty Congratulations to both of you.Indeed 1.6 Polo is the hottest hatch and will give great driving pleasure.Happy and Safe Motoring !!!
Thanks, hillram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Very interesting write up of how you came to choose the 1.6!Quite a stepdown from an innova.
I think the polo will also give long hours mile-crunching ability on the highway as you had envisioned with the innova.Also MID displays have said to be bit off the mark so a tank to tank would give you better idea of FE.
Oh btw has your wife seen this response from tbpians to your/her Polo?
Funny thing is I don't feel any lack of space in the Polo. Somehow the 2 cars that I found to spacious are the Ford Fusion and the Xylo. I guess when I mean space, I actually mean headroom. Otherwise for a small family as ours, we really don't need more than 3 seats.

One of my wife's colleagues read this thread, put two and two together and told my wife about it. She then told me. I am feeling very sheepish about the whole thing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Oh my, the road tax and dealer handling charges are the killer here!!
While going though your post, for a moment I could not see anything else. My eyes were stuck on 5.27!!
Slowly as I read through, I got normal again!

PS: De-badge the rear and you have a sleeper in your hands!!
Thanks, Dry Ice! Yeah the taxes are killer! What to do? No point spending the next few years with a sinking feeling every time we see a cop.

De-badging: When I narrate the next episode of my monologue, you will understand why it is hardly visible!

Quote:
Good to know that my feedback helped - Even though they were trivial!

ORVMs are definitely fold-able. It can be moved in both directions.

This week end is Gowri/Ganesha. Will PM you on Sunday morning, if we can make it. But will definitely make it next week end.
I will PM you my cell. That way you can drop in whenever you both are free this week or the next.

Trivial: No, it meant a lot to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your POLO 1.6 Nowwhat.

You post about the pre-decision has got me all excited bro and now I'm kinda glued to this thread!! Awaiting further Narration!!
Also, would love to meet the "POLO BOYS" in person this weekend if the plans materialize. Please keep me posted on the same.
Vik0728, Thanks!

I wouldn't mind meeting up so long as it is somewhere convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
Congrats, POLO 1,6 for wife, what do you drive a POLO 6.1, Enjoy.
No, a M800.

But i have my eyes set on the Vento Diesel now.

Quote:
While going through the brochure found the petrol ones have an 'Electric Hydraulic power steering' and the diesel one have 'Electronic power steering'. What is the difference between them?

Which one of them have good response?
Electro-hydraulic is obviously better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Congratulations on your new buy!. VW Polo 1.6 certainly is looking hot! I wonder if Maurti will respond to this by introducing 1.6 in SWIFT!
Thanks, goldsun!

Dunno about 1.6 on Swift, but I am utterly impressed by VW build quality. We have been a Maruti family up till now.

I just wish the after sales service cost like Maruti though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks