Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 09:21   #1
BHPian

My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6

Hi guys, just got my Polo 1.6 yesterday. I have not driven it yet since the car is my wife's. Our initial observations scribbled randomly:
  • Car is very quiet and vibration-free. My wife stalled the car a few times and didn't even know about it as there are no vibrations or noise when the car is running.
  • VW build quality is stunning.
  • The car hugs the road. Never once did she feel out of control. We drove gingerly from the dealer. Then later at night we drove on the Inner Ring Road to Indira Nagar and by this time my wife was used to it. Sitting in the backseat I could see that she was moving along the curves (the markers) on the IRR. She didn't realize until I pointed it out to her. She said on the Esteem it was impossible to drive on the same lane along the curves.
  • Steering is effortless. She is ga-ga about the steering feel.
  • The car just chews potholes. You hardly feel it.
  • The car feels airy and spacious. I felt very comfortable in the back seat. Somehow I felt that we were sitting higher than on the Esteem. We had looked at the Innova and Xylo before the Polo, but yesterday I didn't feel cramped at all.
  • The seat fabric "looks" like it might stain very easily. We thought my son stained it last night but when I looked in the morning there was nothing.
  • Car looks awesome in light-blue. Saw it yesterday at VW Downtown and wondered whether I should have gone for that colour instead.
  • I was worried about the front overhand hitting the steep slope in front of my house. I had reconciled myself to the idea of reversing the car into the garage. No such problems at all!
  • Without knowing, we went into 80 kmph a few times. Because we never felt the speed, it was difficult to keep the car at 60 kmph.
  • Most of the driving yesterday was at 1st & 2nd gear limited to 4,000 rpm. On IRR we went to 3rd and 4th gear. MID showed fuel consumption of 9.7 kmpl.
  • Car is wide and with the doors open it takes up a lot of space. My broad garage now looks like it doesn't have space. Already planning to clear up some of the flower pots to make more space.
  • I know everyone has complained about the audio system. Coming from the low-end Sony Xplod system on our Esteem, I can say that I don't feel any difference. I would even hazard a guess that the VW one is slightly better.
  • Car feels like it can take on any thing or any speed. Somehow we didn't feel like actually checking it out. But we were bemused when call center cabs zipped by.
  • The central locking takes some getting used to. The only thing is that you have to consciously lock the doors when you begin to drive. Let me check for a week if my wife puts her seatbelt and locks the door before taking off. If she actually starts doing that, then I promise you that anybody can.
Thanks to Chethan for always replying promptly to my many questions! Thanks Chethan also for letting me post in your thread.

Thanks GTO for your awesome report as always!

Thanks poloman, driver2000, AvonA7, others and most of all Team-BHP for making my wait bearable!
Attached Thumbnails
My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-1.jpg  

My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-2.jpg  

My Reflex Silver VW Polo 1.6-3.jpg  

Last edited by nowwhat? : 5th September 2010 at 09:36. Reason: Forgot to thank everyone.
nowwhat? is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2010, 14:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Mrs nowwhat? is now the owner of one of T-BHP's currently most desirable cars: I think she should join!

The car looks lovely. Congratulations on the new member of your family!
Old 5th September 2010, 15:51   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lucky wife, driving a hot hatch and all! Congrats to the two of you. The Polo finally gets the engine it always deserved. Don't worry about the FE, nowwhat?! Complete the running-in and high-revv the pistons off that 1.6L petrol.
Old 5th September 2010, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats,looks like its raining polo 1.6's in tbhp.
Old 5th September 2010, 16:40   #5
BHPian

Congrats for your new car. The perfect Hatch in India in terms of Price,Power,brand and reliability. Yesterday I was requesting for a test drive and the Showroom people told that test drive is not available for 1.6. Did they give a test drive for you? Waiting for a more detailed review.
The car looks elegant in silver. Is there any features extra in 1.6?
Old 5th September 2010, 16:44   #6
BHPian

Congrats buddy, the colour really looks awesome on the Polo. How long did you have to wait for the car after booking ? Did you buy it from VW downtown ?
Old 5th September 2010, 16:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Polo 1.6 - THE hottest car now on tbhp!
Congrats to you and your wife!
Old 5th September 2010, 16:57   #8
BHPian

The second 1.6 Polo on Team BHP if I'm correct. Enjoy the experience. I'm sure you would be tempted to drive the car too. The colour does look fabulous but then show me a Polo that doesn't look good. 4K rpm in 1st and 2nd gear is high IMO. Though tempting, you will agree its better to take it easy for the first couple of thousand kms.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:00   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Mrs nowwhat? is now the owner of one of T-BHP's currently most desirable cars: I think she should join!

The car looks lovely. Congratulations on the new member of your family!
Thanks, Thad!

I will convey your thought about her joining Team-BHP but I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet.

Mrs nowwhat? is indeed mighty happy! Looks like she also feels she has moved up in life. She said she is going to work today, next thing I know she is shopping at the Leela Palace and then I find out that she has already blown up 12K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lucky wife, driving a hot hatch and all! Congrats to the two of you. The Polo finally gets the engine it always deserved. Don't worry about the FE, nowwhat?! Complete the running-in and high-revv the pistons off that 1.6L petrol.
GTO, Thanks! I feel like a fawning schoolgirl right now receiving a compliment from you.

Once again a big thanks for your report on the Polo. I hope you can test drive a Polo 1.6, because we still don't have a comparative report for this segment with the Polo 1.6 in it.

I thought I could get by with a brief report on Chethan B. G.'s thread and perhaps answer some queries. But now with me on a separate thread, I can already feel the burden of responsibility. I hope I am up to the task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Congrats,looks like its raining polo 1.6's in tbhp.
It is raining Polos all over! On Friday my SE said he did 10 deliveries. On Saturday, he did 4 including mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Congrats buddy, the colour really looks awesome on the Polo. How long did you have to wait for the car after booking ? Did you buy it from VW downtown ?
Thanks! I do like the colour a lot. I feel the car will age well in this colour.

I also liked the Polo in Glacier Blue.

Yes, I bought from VW Downtown. I waited 2 months from start to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Polo 1.6 - THE hottest car now on tbhp!
Congrats to you and your wife!
Thanks, blackasta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I'm sure you would be tempted to drive the car too. The colour does look fabulous but then show me a Polo that doesn't look good. 4K rpm in 1st and 2nd gear is high IMO. Though tempting, you will agree its better to take it easy for the first couple of thousand kms.
Thanks, fuel_addict!

Indeed, I am very, very tempted to drive the car!

The Polo red-lines at 6,000 rpm, so I thought 4,000 rpm may be safe. Yesterday, we didn't reach anywhere near that.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 5th September 2010 at 19:07. Reason: Got the smileys under control.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:13   #10
BHPian

Congrats! The colour looks really good.

Is there any difference in features / interior comapred to Polo 1.2 ?

Please post some pictures of the interiors.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Congrats! The colour looks really good.

Is there any difference in features / interior comapred to Polo 1.2 ?

Please post some pictures of the interiors.
Thanks! Will try and post interior pics.

No difference at all with the 1.2 Highline in terms of features or interior. Basically one pays 40K for the engine and the 1.6 badge in the rear.
Old 5th September 2010, 19:52   #12
cLJ
BHPian

Congratulations! The car looks hot.

How much it cost on road in bangalore. VW site doesn't show the price for 1.6.

CLJ
Old 5th September 2010, 20:06   #13
BHPian

Many Congratulations nowwhat ? I think this is the first Reflex silver POLO (ofcourse ownership review) on team-bhp. Looking for more exterior pictures (may be on nice road).
Old 5th September 2010, 20:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! Two Polo 1.6's in a single day!! Do write in more about the performance of the 1.6 engine. And more pictures...

After Figos and Puntos, it's raining Polos on TBHP now. I'll join the club on Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The second 1.6 Polo on Team BHP if I'm correct.
It's the 3rd one

I wonder why is only Bangalore getting the 1.6? Mumbai dealers say it won't come here before October!!

Last edited by theragingbull : 5th September 2010 at 20:19.
Old 5th September 2010, 20:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats nowwhat.!! The car is an absolute beauty. Polo looks never ages. These pictures are as fresh and appealing as the first one posted in the forum.Special mention to your wife's decision making. We need more ladies like her who get what they like and what they want rather than go by herd mentality.

Last edited by poloman : 5th September 2010 at 20:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks