Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 11:09   #76
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Not exactly! But that is what we all usually assume - Is it not?

Polo windows come with a pre-tinted glass. Extra Sunfilms are not required to keep the heat out. But if privacy is required, Sunfilms/screens can be a solution.

With Sunfilms, the problem is - Heat outside remains outside, but heat inside also remains inside!! This makes the cabin a bit warm. With fabric cover, it is easily managed. But, with artificial leather covers, it gets a bit too warm, since the material absorbs heat and does not breath.

When it gets hot inside the car, even the smell inside changes. I somehow do not like it. Off-course, one can pull down all the window glasses for a short while, to let the heat out.
Thats another way to look at it.

But let me tell you, most cars now come with these 'pre-tinted' films from the factory. And they hardly make much of a difference, besides blocking out some UV rays.

With sunfilms like you said heat outside remains outside, but heat inside remains inside. True, but when LESS heat manages to enter, then less heat would remain inside than without sunfilms.

Believe me sir, if you have sunfilm on your side windows and front and rear windscreen (even legal, but of a good quality) it will make such a huge difference that with future cars one of the first things you will do along with changing tyres etc, is to go and get sunfilm fitted.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th September 2010 at 11:10.
Old 16th September 2010, 12:15   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats another way to look at it.

But let me tell you, most cars now come with these 'pre-tinted' films from the factory. And they hardly make much of a difference, besides blocking out some UV rays.

With sunfilms like you said heat outside remains outside, but heat inside remains inside. True, but when LESS heat manages to enter, then less heat would remain inside than without sunfilms.

Believe me sir, if you have sunfilm on your side windows and front and rear windscreen (even legal, but of a good quality) it will make such a huge difference that with future cars one of the first things you will do along with changing tyres etc, is to go and get sunfilm fitted.
Please don't think that I am trying to argue. I am only putting across my opinion, which is based on my own experience. Individual requirements can differ. I am not saying that Sunfilms should never be used.

I always had Sunfilms for all my cars. I have it even on my Polo. I have also had seat covers before, but not on Polo. I have used 3M & Llumar Sunfilms until now. Definitely there are better ones in the market.

On Polo, I have seen without Sunfilm (used it for almost a week in peak summer) and with Sunfilm. Tint on Polo is quite adequate to keep the heat out, IMHO. It used to cool a bit faster without Sunfilms.

Heat also enters the car through the front wind shield & the roof (By heat transfer). We can only avoid it through the places in which we have Sunfilms.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2010, 14:42   #78
BHPian

The seat covers look excellent. They match perfectly with the interiors & that embossed VW logo just adds to the appeal. The best thing is that they look OE & the price is true value as well.

How is the support though, do they feel snug like the seats generally feel without the covers or is there a slight feeling of "flatness" which some seat covers feel like as they cannot take the contours of the seat perfectly.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:05   #79
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chethan, Hope you wont mind me adding my two words. Just a healthy debate with non intentions to argue.

Quote:
Not exactly! But that is what we all usually assume - Is it not?

Its true in a way but if you have all the windows tinted even normal subfilms like Garware work wonders. I have them on my cedia and I can see the difference compared to the lancer my cousin have. Both the cars have leather interiors which gets too hot in summers. but the heat inside my cedia is almost half that in the lancer. It sometimes become impossible to sit inside the lancer in the afternoon.

Further, bad weather and rain across the summers have not permitted me to get the tints on Polo. Since there's no rear defogger in polo comfortline, I thought adding tints to the already poor visibility will make things worse. But, a neighbour who has lumar on his i20 does make things pretty cool for him inside, when the car is parked.

Polo windows come with a pre-tinted glass. Extra Sunfilms are not required to keep the heat out. But if privacy is required, Sunfilms/screens can be a solution.

All cars apart from 800 and probably nano (not sure) does come with these anti glared glasses. compared to 800 yes, they work wonders but when you start comparing a tinted and a non tinted car, the one with tints always have an advantage.

With Sunfilms, the problem is - Heat outside remains outside, but heat inside also remains inside!! This makes the cabin a bit warm. With fabric cover, it is easily managed. But, with artificial leather covers, it gets a bit too warm, since the material absorbs heat and does not breath.

Its a trait of any glass to let the heat in but not to allow it to escape, so if you have something that partially stops heat to get in, it will make a huge difference. I would highly suggest you get lumar or 3M since you have artificial leather covers. They can make life miserable during summers.

When it gets hot inside the car, even the smell inside changes. I somehow do not like it.

certainly, leather whether artificial or genuine does smell in rain and during extreme summers.
@akshay. I would second your opinion.

@Theragingbull: the seat covers look nice and for the price you got them for, they look real VFM. Are these aftermarket ones. I'd love to grab these till the time I get stanleys for my car..probably next winters.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 16th September 2010 at 15:21.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:09   #80
BHPian

While on the topic of sun films.

Have any of you had this experience of looking through a glass when its dark outside; When you look at an external light source through it, the light just dissipates thus making vision blury. I have seen this on my Civic that has V Kool film on all glasses.
Old 16th September 2010, 16:45   #81
BHPian

@ theragingbull, great choice on seat covers. I have been looking exactly for something like this (more of black and less of beige). Would you mind telling about the brand of seat covers?

I got one quote for Rs. 5000.00 but with lesser of black & more of beige.
Old 16th September 2010, 17:04   #82
BHPian

Hey Raging Bull congrats on your buy. i must say the seat covers look good and you got them at a good price as well. Can you share the vendor name and details with us. The VW insignia/logo on the head rests looks awesome.

Last edited by MihirC : 16th September 2010 at 17:06.
Old 16th September 2010, 19:52   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post

@akshay. I would second your opinion.
Thank you. In Bombay we need 35% tints at least, because in the summers the heat gets unbearable. Of course some expensive films offer visibility and heat reduction too.

Will be the same in Delhi, but ive heard cops over there are very particular.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! This color combo IMO looks best on Polo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaro123 View Post
@ theragingbull, great choice on seat covers. I have been looking exactly for something like this (more of black and less of beige). Would you mind telling about the brand of seat covers?

I got one quote for Rs. 5000.00 but with lesser of black & more of beige.
Brand is Hi-Tech seat covers. The ones I bought are for 3500 bucks but there are also even better quality ones for 4500 and 5500. But those expensive ones are best for sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihirC View Post
Hey Raging Bull congrats on your buy. i must say the seat covers look good and you got them at a good price as well. Can you share the vendor name and details with us. The VW insignia/logo on the head rests looks awesome.
Thanks!
Shop - 'Car lounge' near Milan subway, Santacruz(W)
Contact - Mr. Harshil@ 9819229608 or 65230319

Quote:
This is the best fitted seat covers I have seen!!

With out the Sunfilms, it should be comfortable. But with the Sunfilms, it might get a bit hot inside - More load on the AC compressor.
Yes, I am also very impressed with the fit and finish of the covers. It took 3hrs to fit! I am still in two minds about the sunfilm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
The seat covers look excellent. They match perfectly with the interiors & that embossed VW logo just adds to the appeal. The best thing is that they look OE & the price is true value as well.

How is the support though, do they feel snug like the seats generally feel without the covers or is there a slight feeling of "flatness" which some seat covers feel like as they cannot take the contours of the seat perfectly.
Well there are two types of fittings. One is loose slip ons while the other is cut-to-cut finish wherein the cover takes shape of the seat contours perfectly. Mine is the latter one. Since it's just fitted yesterday, there is some air trapped but that will go in a week's time after daily driving.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:39   #85
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai-Lonavala-Mumbai

Went for a long drive to Lonavala today. The weather was perfect. And then there was the Mumbai-Pune expressway where one can go flat out! It was a wonderful drive.

Total distance driven -200km
Avg F.E- 14.5kpl

On the expressway I was going at a constant 100kph and got upto 16kpl.
Touched a max speed of 130kph The car felt very balanced and tyre & wind noise was minimum. My mom felt like we were going at 90kph when I was actually going 120+.
Also, Polo never felt underpowered. 100-120kph in 5th gear is also quick. VW has chosen the gear ratios perfectly. In 5th gear, you just need to feather the throttle and it will just glide on the road.

Steering feedback was good and didn't feel vague ever! It seemed to become a little heavy too.

Some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05693.jpg  

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05699.jpg  

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05702.jpg  

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05752.jpg  

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05754.jpg  

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05768.jpg  

"German Tadka"- VW Polo 1.2 Highline-dsc05691.jpg  

Old 16th September 2010, 20:46   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With Sunfilms, the problem is - Heat outside remains outside, but heat inside also remains inside!! This makes the cabin a bit warm.
I'm not sure I understand. People want the heat inside (aka the AC cooling)....... to remain inside right?

If you want to send it out, all you have to do it roll down the window for 30 secs.
Old 16th September 2010, 21:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I am still in two minds about the sunfilm.
Confused?!!

Necessity will always supersede logics & opinions. Please go by what you need. We give our opinions based on our experiences. Ultimately, all of us are posting our opinions, to give you information (not that you do not have it). Informed decision is any day better!

Gaurav, Akshay - My opinion was the same as yours, until i interacted with Poloman. Now, they are different about Sunfilms. I have Llumar 35 SR - Natural, on my Polo. I even toyed with the idea of getting it removed.

It may change again. Who knows!! It is a great feeling to discuss these things with you guys. Each time I do it, I get some extra knowledge and Information.

Only problem is - You guys need to be provoked, to come out in full swing!!

MPower - If the car is parked during a hot day, heat inside will be trapped. We can lower the windows for 30secs as you say - But the seat will remain hot. But not a major issue as you mentioned. Question was - is it necessary to spend that money? If advantages over-weigh the disadvantages, it is worth spending the money.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 16th September 2010 at 21:10.
Old 16th September 2010, 22:55   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Only problem is - You guys need to be provoked, to come out in full swing!!

MPower - If the car is parked during a hot day, heat inside will be trapped. We can lower the windows for 30secs as you say - But the seat will remain hot. But not a major issue as you mentioned. Question was - is it necessary to spend that money? If advantages over-weigh the disadvantages, it is worth spending the money.
Haha about being provoked.

Another thing Chethan, if you do get sunfilm on your windscreen, totally legal 70% sunfilm of a good company like 3M CR series (about 5.5k) then it makes a huge difference to the total heat inside the car. In the day the sun shining off the tarmac hurts your eyes less, and in the night the glare is reduced so much.

Also if you are driving long distance the sun hitting your hand while your holding the steering wheel can really burn. Sunfilm reduces this to a great extent. If you ask me the advantages are many more than the disadvantages (Personally I see no disadvantages with sunfilm)

I have some 35% sunfilm on my Accord, going to get it changed to Vkool 20% films soon.

BTW what changed your opinion when you met poloman?

Zohaib - Were you near Lilavati at around 9:10pm today? Thought i saw your car. No second thoughts about sunfilm, just go ahead and do it IMO one of the best and most necessary accessories.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th September 2010 at 22:56.
Old 16th September 2010, 23:41   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Zohaib - Were you near Lilavati at around 9:10pm today? Thought i saw your car. No second thoughts about sunfilm, just go ahead and do it IMO one of the best and most necessary accessories.
Nope. My Polo and Indica, both have teambhp stickers But yeah, you'll spot me in Bandra only most of the time.
About sunfilms, yeah I am in favor of getting them. Just have to choose the right one now. But there's absolutely no problems in AC cooling even without sunfilms. Even in the sun, didn't find the cabin to get very hot inside. So I guess I can live without it for a few days more.

Last edited by theragingbull : 16th September 2010 at 23:42.
Old 16th September 2010, 23:43   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Nope. My Polo and Indica, both have teambhp stickers But yeah, you'll spot me in Bandra only most of the time.
About sunfilms, yeah I am in favor of getting them. Just have to choose the right one now. But there's absolutely no problems in AC cooling even without sunfilms. Even in the sun, didn't find the cabin to get very hot inside. So I guess I can live without it for a few days more.
Oh for some reason thought it would be you. Aah so now ill see the stickers and know its you.

Haha wait for the October heat to come and you will run back to Hiten in car-lounge and get films.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks