Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2010, 00:45   #91
BHPian

Chetan,

Talking about the music system and the non-existence of bluetooth, i was thinking of these bluetooth handsfree & rear view mirrors thats available in the market. These can be fixed on the existing rear view mirrors.

Bluetooth Handsfree Speaker Car Kit
Bluetooth Rearview Mirror with Embedded Mini-LCD

I was planning to buy one of those for my Polo, but was a little skeptical as these are Chinese products and i have not read any reviews about them.
Has anyone on TBHP used/using it ?

Would you recommend one ?

Alex.
Old 17th September 2010, 02:15   #92
BHPian

@Zohaib:

So your following the motoman method of running in
Going 130 on a car thats done a little over 200 kms. Niicee!
Do remember to change your engine oil & oil filter after 1000-1500 kms though.

On another note, everytime i see pictures of your car, im tempted to go in for the Polo 1.6 even though im very content with my car
Those lonavala pictures of your car are just yummy. Absolutely love both the pics, the front 3 quarter profile & specially that muscular side profile

Last edited by Xehaust : 17th September 2010 at 02:20.
Old 17th September 2010, 08:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
@Zohaib:

So your following the motoman method of running in
Going 130 on a car thats done a little over 200 kms. Niicee!
Do remember to change your engine oil & oil filter after 1000-1500 kms though.
Actually some say there's no run-in required for the Polo. But to be on the safe side, I restrict my self to 3000rpm. On the expressway I was at a constant 100kph with an occasional 120 on straights Just once touched 130kph and slowed down.
VW recommends oil and filter change at 1yr/15,000km. So I am not sure if changing it at 1500km will make sense.

Polo owners, what do you think?
Old 17th September 2010, 10:23   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Actually some say there's no run-in required for the Polo. But to be on the safe side, I restrict my self to 3000rpm. On the expressway I was at a constant 100kph with an occasional 120 on straights Just once touched 130kph and slowed down.
VW recommends oil and filter change at 1yr/15,000km. So I am not sure if changing it at 1500km will make sense.

Well, we have done just under 8k kms of which I would have driven about 1.5k Kms or less. I didn't restrict myself during the so called run in period and the day we got the car, I was revving the engine to about 4 -5 K rpms. However, my dad and brother (who actually drives most of the time) dont go over 3k rpm, so we can say that about 200 kms of the first 1k kms, the car was stretched till 5k rpms. Thereafter, I do redline whenever I get a chance to but thats very rarely.

Last, I checked, the 1.2 does about 45-50 in 1st gear, about 80+ in 2nd gear, 120 in 3rd and about 155+ in 4th and I went up till 162 in 5th. the car pulls up neatly till about 140 in 4th but thereafter becomes sluggish, touching the top speed requires time and a long stretch.

The engine is high revving, so be least bothered even if you touch 4k+ rpm occasionally.

I would recommend sticking to service intervals for oil change. Even after 8k kms, I dont feel the slightest need to get the oil changed, forget 1.5k kms.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th September 2010 at 10:26.
Old 17th September 2010, 10:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thank you. In Bombay we need 35% tints at least, because in the summers the heat gets unbearable. Of course some expensive films offer visibility and heat reduction too.

Will be the same in Delhi, but ive heard cops over there are very particular.
its the same scenario in Delhi, the heat makes it mandatory for you to get sunfilms. the only reason I didnt go for Lumar or 3M is that even without sunfilms, the AC of Cedia used to chill in minutes, so I was worried that if I get lumar or 3M, I will probably have the AC switched off for the most time I am in the car.

Cops in Delhi?..well they are not very particular about sunfilms or number plates, infact I have never been fined for anything apart from jumping a traffic light (I crossed on Yellow). Rest, even if they do get particular, its Ganghiji Zindabad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Only problem is - You guys need to be provoked, to come out in full swing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I have some 35% sunfilm on my Accord, going to get it changed to Vkool 20% films soon.
I may be wrong here but I am under a perception that its best to get the right sunfilms installed properly in first go, if you get rid of one and get the new one in, the finish isnt as great as the first one.
Old 17th September 2010, 12:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post

Oh, ok. I was under the impression that all cars (except certain premium & supercars which are broken in at the factory itself & then tested for performance) even today, need a run-in.

As for the engine oil bit, it does relate to a new engine run in bit as the small metal particles formed due to friction in a new engine is bad for the engine & hence its always good as a preventive measure to change your engine oil & oil filter (more so if you follow the motoman method but even normally it is recommended) so that these metal particles are flushed out early.

P.S. - All the above information is what ive learnt through various BHP threads & other general reading. Perhaps the experts could enlighten us
But i have to agree, that perhaps it might not be good for the longevitiy of engine life or even performance, but have seen that hardly any layman (read non-enthusiast) runs in the engine & there are no engine related issues as such that they face in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I may be wrong here but I am under a perception that its best to get the right sunfilms installed properly in first go, if you get rid of one and get the new one in, the finish isnt as great as the first one.
As long as the installer clears all the left over residue after removing the old films properly, there is no problem & no difference in finish. You can relate them to seat covers in a way, you can take them off & put new ones without any hassles & difference in finish
Also, in general, most sunfilms start deteriorating in effectiveness in between 3-5 years & hence you do require to change them after such time.

Last edited by Xehaust : 17th September 2010 at 13:00.
Old 17th September 2010, 14:06   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkrish View Post

I was planning to buy one of those for my Polo, but was a little skeptical as these are Chinese products and i have not read any reviews about them.

Alex,

This is definitely something the Polo owners are looking at. I had posted some similar products (from amazon, hopefully non-chinese) in my thread here, take a look and let me know if this makes sense:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2071583
Old 17th September 2010, 14:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I would recommend sticking to service intervals for oil change. Even after 8k kms, I dont feel the slightest need to get the oil changed, forget 1.5k kms.
I agree. Only thing I would like to add is: Check oil level every 3000 Kms. In case it has gone down, top it up OR bring it to the notice of the dealer.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:40   #99
Senior - BHPian

My experience with the Polo 1.2 for the last 10 days of ownership in a nutshell:
  • Superb build quality. Absolutely no niggles, squeaks or rattles.
  • MID is very informative. Shows current speed, average speed, average fuel consumption, instantaneous F.E, journey distance, odometer, time and outside temperature.
  • F.E (with AC always on)
    City - 10-11kpl (Mumbai traffic)
    Highyway- 15-16kpl
  • Cool feature of opening and closing the windows with the remote.
  • AC is very effective and cools the cabin very quickly.
  • Large boot can swallow lots of luggage. 60:40 seats helpful too.
  • Finding the best driving position wasn't difficult with steering wheel adjustable for rake and reach. Seat height adjust very useful since seating position is quite low.
  • High transmission tunnel in the rear is cumbersome for an occasional fifth passenger. Otherwise knee room and headroom was sufficient for an average sized adult.
  • Seats very comfortable. Provides good lumbar support and excellent under-thigh support.
  • No vanity mirrors in sun visor does not make mom happy.
  • Convex glass ORVMs do their job well, but the internal rear view mirror is not so helpful because the rear headrests obstruct the view.
  • Big glovebox can even store a netbook.
  • My car came with JK tyres. While the earlier Polos came with Apollo Acceleres. I am not sure if that is why i feel the low speed ride is a little stiff and bouncy.
  • High speed ride quality and stability is very good.
  • Body roll is minimal around corners.
  • Wide Door armrests. They’ll support even the larger forearms.
  • Excellent brakes. Very responsive. ABS very helpful in wet conditions.
  • The 1.2 motor is rev-happy and does not feel underpowered. But it is fairly vocal.
  • No under bonnet insulation in petrol version! Could the insulation help in reducing some engine noise? And also prevent the bonnet from getting hot quickly?
Old 20th September 2010, 16:02   #100
BHPian

Agree with all these points. I havent really felt my bonnet going hot yet though, havent been touching her after a drive!

Insulation would definitely help. My Scorpio DX always feels cool even after hours of driving... so maybe thats something these guys should add in.

Polo suspension is a little stiff compared to other cars. Unless you have travelled in an accelere, dont think that would make such a difference.

Overall, mighty pleased with my decision for a Polo, like you
Old 21st September 2010, 16:36   #101
BHPian

Hey ragingbull ,I love all of your buddy's pics and recommend you to post them in the auto - image thread.
Atypical indian question -"mileage kya hai?"
Old 21st September 2010, 18:48   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Chetan,

Talking about the music system and the non-existence of bluetooth, i was thinking of these bluetooth handsfree & rear view mirrors thats available in the market. These can be fixed on the existing rear view mirrors.

Would you recommend one ?

Alex.
Alex, Thanks for informing us about the website! I found it quite fascinating.

Even though they are Chinese, the quality of a the items I looked at seems good. Moreover it looks as if they are actually targeting US & European customers. Payment via paypal also gives some assurance.

I actually thought I may buy something but then found that I had to order a minimum quantity of 4 of that item. Guys (& gals), if we can get 4 people interested in the same item, what say we pool in and check it out?

And I have a question for the Bangalore guys. Does anyone think it would be worthwhile to buy this --> ELM 327 Car Diagnostics USB to VAG-COM Fault Code Cable ?

Maybe we can all buy one (minimum quantity is 1 for this item) and then we can tell the dealer what to do! Assuming of course that someone other than me here is competent enough.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Hey ragingbull ,I love all of your buddy's pics and recommend you to post them in the auto - image thread.
Atypical indian question -"mileage kya hai?"
Thanks! I am getting about 9-10kpl in the city with bumper-to-bumper traffic on many roads. While on the highway, it's 15-16kpl.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:05   #104
BHPian

nowwhat?,
Just got this doubt after seeing this product's spec. Where will this product plugin into the car? Does Polo have a usb/serial port sort of thing for diagnostics?

Also saw another useful interface to connect your iPod/iPhone, but not sure if Polo stock music system has this port.

VW / AUDI / SEAT GROM iPod Adapter Direct Interface
And the Youtube video here.

Old 23rd September 2010, 17:38   #105
BHPian

Quote:
nowwhat?,
Just got this doubt after seeing this product's spec. Where will this product plugin into the car? Does Polo have a usb/serial port sort of thing for diagnostics?
alexkrish, Chethan has seen this being done at the dealer and apparently the port for the VAG connector is under the steering wheel.

Chethan and I have already decided to buy a VAG cable. However I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet as I didn't get time to look into it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks