Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2010, 08:47   #16
BHPian

Will be uploading the pics of the car over the weekend when back home.

Currently in Germany. love the roads and the speed. Have rented a VW Golf (no BMW, Mercs available without reservation at the airport :( ). What a smooth car on the road, 6 forward gears + 1 Reverse. Transmission manual, but everything else has a auto mode - lights, wipers, climate control. Been raining - so the max speed that I have been able to take it to is 180 kmph. Maybe before I fly back, I get good weather and good roads (Lots of traffic even on the autobahn where I am - about 130 kms from Frankfurt). Car is quite spacious as well - bigger brother of the polo.

Will be looking up a VW dealership - but folks I talked to said that the head unit from official VW, will be 800+ euros. but that may come with navigation etc. trying to check the full headlights set now. But I have a feeling "official" spares will be expensive, but the unofficial aftermarket ones could be cheap - maybe after the warranty period is over.
Old 16th September 2010, 08:59   #17
BHPian

Noticed this thread a few minutes back.
Congratulations on your new car.
Old 16th September 2010, 09:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Volkswagen Polo 1.6.

I must say, you're very lucky to get the car in your hands within a week. Personally, I know many people who are waiting endlessly to get a VW Polo.

Do keep us updated once you reach back India. Driver safe and have fun.

PS: I'm waiting for the pictures.

Amith
Old 16th September 2010, 10:30   #19
BHPian

Realized that the pics are on the laptop and I am awake since early morning here, attaching some pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1188.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1195.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1197.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1198.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1206.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1208.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1214.jpg  

Polo 1.6 Red - from the dealer visit to home in 7 days!-100_1217.jpg  

Old 16th September 2010, 10:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_man View Post
Will be looking up a VW dealership - but folks I talked to said that the head unit from official VW, will be 800+ euros. but that may come with navigation etc. trying to check the full headlights set now. But I have a feeling "official" spares will be expensive, but the unofficial aftermarket ones could be cheap - maybe after the warranty period is over.
Even if it costs 800+ euros, with GPS it may be worth it. Will it be a direct replacement? Can you please find out?

If you can source Pin configuration details of that unit - Nothing like it.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:12   #21
Team-BHP Support

Do you by any chance live in south Mumbai because I think I saw your car last sunday, at Babulnath. And I was thinking to myself, what a good choice this chap has made.

BTW - Im reasonably sure the headunit will be plug and play since it is like that is most VW and Skoda cars. Also look at the RCD-510 and not the RNS-510 since im not sure navigation would work here.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th September 2010 at 11:19.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkritik View Post
Congratulations
You are very lucky

eagerly waiting for the pictures

though not valid;just for curiosity, Seriously how do you feel the power and handling when compared to Scorpio?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun View Post
Congratulations on your new ride and polo 1.6 is definitely a good choice. I am sure polo 1.6 is gaining more attention amongst car enthusiasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manubhai View Post
WOW, you got your 1.6 in 7 days !
h man, you gotta be a very happy man, congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Red Hot Hatch.

Getting the car in straight 7 days from VW is sure a first after the launch of the Polo. People still waiting in the queue

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the 1.6 Polo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One of the rare times that factory horses are cheaper than after-market ones. Effectively, you are getting 30 BHP (and an extra cylinder) for only 40,000! I'm going to be spending about 60,000 for an additional 20 BHP on my Civic (exhaust, intake & remap).

Congrats on the definitive hot hatch on our roads today. Drive safe!

P.S. Where are the customary pictures, might I ask?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Congrats!!
Photos bhai, Where are the photos??
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadnabrina View Post
Noticed this thread a few minutes back.
Congratulations on your new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Congratulations on your Volkswagen Polo 1.6.

I must say, you're very lucky to get the car in your hands within a week. Personally, I know many people who are waiting endlessly to get a VW Polo.

Do keep us updated once you reach back India. Driver safe and have fun.

PS: I'm waiting for the pictures.

Amith
Thanks all. Have uploaded some pics in the earlier post. The Polo will be a great drive for the next few years.

Interesting question on the Scorpio to Polo comparision. Let me share my opinion on the same:

* I have pre-CRDE Scorpio, but the second generation in that one.

* Key difference I felt when driving both cars is the suspension, the suspension is great in the Polo, while the later versions of the Scorpio have improved on the suspension. The ride in the back seat and the 3rd row/luggage area seats is quite bad on bad road. The Polo can handle anything on the road and has a great suspension. Pretty much same with the Jetta (owned in the US) and the Golf (driving here in Germany - rented for my visit here).

* This is primarily a diesel vs petrol power delivery characteristic, but the Scorpio gears are quite versatile, with 3rd being the best. I do not need to down shift frequently in heavy traffic (mostly 3rd can handle everything including quick acceleration. On Ghats, the scorpio can climb and handle itself well better than a lot of the petrol cars. The toughest climb I have done is the Kotagiri climb in Ooty (at quite good speed too) and I did not have to get to first gear at all (maybe just once or twice). Second and 3rd did all the work. There was no traffic coming down, except for a Sumo climbing up with us (and the Sumo was handling itself very well too). The polo being a petrol needs to be in the right gear all the time. So I see myself frequently shifting up/down between gears 2-4 in Mumbai traffic. I did read about some complaints about the car (1.2, 1.6 petrol) being unresponsive, but I think being in the right gear is important.

* Despite its size, the Scorpio is an easy car to drive. Note that I said car and not SUV. All the rear view mirrors give excellent visibility. The gears shift easily. Power steering is probably on the lighter side (but that is a bit of an advantage, in my mind). Best part is turning radius - its just little higher than an Accent etc. I am so used to the scorpio, I can do parallel parking quite easily even with a few feet of buffer. Any place a sedan can fit in, I can get the Scorpio in.

* Presence: The Scorpio has presence, the autos give you bhaav, anyone trying to take a turn on to the road or get into your lane has second thoughts when they see a Scorpio. Dont think I am going to get the same respect in the Polo.

* Engine revs: Polo 1.6 is a rev happy engine. Whereas the Scorpio can rev, but with good torque coming in at the lower revs too, it doesnt need to go to the redline. (Maybe the more technical crowd can explain it better)

* NVH Level: The polo is so quiet when idling/normal driving, I find myself trying to turn the key to start the engine when idling! The scorpio (my 2004 version) engine lets itself known to everyone inside and outside when it on. The car does have vibration when the engine is on. Music definitely needs to be on when driving even in the 4th/5th gear to dampen engine noise. I have not yet driven the newer engines, but I believe they have improved significantly.

* Speed: I have taken the scorpio upto 160 kmph. It handles itself very well till 120/125 kmph as a steady speed, but above that I find that the engine noise increases exponentially as the speed increases. I have to be very alert at any speed higher than 120 and for long drives this can be exhausting. I stay at 100/110 and life is stress free. I have not taken the polo to higher speeds, but I think it should be able to handle 150 kmph easily.

* I dont have to talk about space as obviously the Scorpio rules, but I find the Polo seats to be more comfortable. I could have done with lumbar support, but not felt the desperate need as yet.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:19   #23
Senior - BHPian

Chethan, just a word of caution on the headlights. This has been discussed long back in the Polo thread and it was explained by the experts that the illumintaion pattern of a RHS car is different from a LHS car. So the head lamps bought in Germany may not be compatible with Indian Polo. They should be procured from RHS countries like UK/Australia.
Old 16th September 2010, 21:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Chethan, just a word of caution on the headlights. This has been discussed long back in the Polo thread and it was explained by the experts that the illumintaion pattern of a RHS car is different from a LHS car. So the head lamps bought in Germany may not be compatible with Indian Polo. They should be procured from RHS countries like UK/Australia.
Yes Poloman. My interest is only with the Head unit. I am not keen on the head lights. I doubt if it screw holes will match?
Old 19th September 2010, 19:39   #25
BHPian

Just back from Germany - did not have any time at all to look up the VW dealership for the accessories. So no additional information there - might be on the next visit (hopefully in the next month or two).

Incidentally, the Polo India website shows a "Navigation System with Blue tooth" as one of the options. Also, before I had left, the dealership had mentioned buy back scheme for the current music system unit. Will get both details and post here.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:47   #26
BHPian

Hey H man, would it be posssible for you to get the spares price list from the dealership as well, Im trying for the same from VW downtown.I feel the need to find out the same as Micra though a reasonably priced car has the spares pretty expensive in comparision to the car, which would be one of the factors towards the long term ownership of the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks