Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 12:42   #31
BHPian

Baby-7?!

Hey Amey, the F10 sure looks sleek from the front! I would've preferred a darker color, but silver rocks as well! Have always been in total awe of the 7-Series, and now the 5 looks very close.

Hows the legroom and ride compared to the Superb? I guess, the 5 is the automatic choice, for a car more expensive than the Superb.

Thanks for taking the effort for the long buying experience - 'twas great to read!

Looking forward to reading about a highway ride in the Beemer.
Old 14th September 2010, 12:53   #32
BHPian

Outstanding choice and a monster of a car. Looking forward to the ownership review once you have clocked those miles on the Beemer. After getting used to the 450N-m torque, you might not want to drive any other car. Driving through the Pune streets that lack any traffic sense might be your biggest challenge.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:19   #33

Congratulations Amey

Planning for a Superb and end up buying a brilliant beemer f10! typical Darky style.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:59   #34
BHPian

woah thats quite an acquisition isn't it? Heartiest congratulations and may this beauty serves you reliably and offers sheer driving pleasure!
Wish my dad was as adventurous and daring as yours :-P
Old 14th September 2010, 15:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Drop-dead gorgeous! Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

PS: Does it come with sun-roof or is that an option?
PPS: Does the iDrive come loaded with an Indian Navigation system?

Last edited by anekho : 14th September 2010 at 15:23.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:27   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice intro, nice story, a dad who makes impulse purchases - the right mix.

The car looks lovely, the clear direction on the Fuel cap - Diesel - no additives - no biodiesel - is something all manufacturers should empulate, makes life so simple and removes the temptations to try hi speed diesel, extra mile, or turbojet etc.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Amey. Looks like your dad is getting all the praise. Do show him this thread. It may bring a smile on his face.

Best drivers car and i am sure your going to enjoy it to its hilt.

Enjoy and drive safe !
Old 14th September 2010, 15:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Are the Dealers offering any discounts or schemes?
Old 14th September 2010, 16:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the 525d Amey. That's really a great upgrade from Octy to Beemer. Please post some more exterior pics. How do you find the rear seat comfort? How much did you pay for the 5year BSI?
Sure will once I click a few more. Rear seat is pretty decent, I think the Superb has slightly more legroom, I could be wrong though.
It costs 3.75L for 5Y/100K kms. package.

Quote:
Amey. the pics looks awesome.

I pray to GOD That every car crazy person gets a dad like you.
How much have you driven the car till date. it must be really hard to keep her revs down during the run in. Does it get scary to drive the 5 in crazy Pune Traffic?

Post some initial driving impressions.
Haven't driven her in the city much to be honest.Some registration formalities were incomplete which will be completed today so tomorrow I will take her out.
I think I read somewhere that there is no run in required for these modern engines,they are prerun or something, is it true ?

Quote:
One question though, IIRC the skoda was also silver, the getz and the swift are white, any particular reason for light colors?

edit - you might want to consider changing the RFT's to tubeless (from what i have read most of the owners do so).

Now you have the best excuse to drive down to bangalore. Hope to see you soon bro. Have loads of fun and drive safe.
In my opinion lighter metallic colours are slightly easy to maintain than dark colours.

I will be making a long trip soon, where I dont know

Quote:
That is what i wondered too ! Pune is scary with the swarm of 2 wheelers to your left, right & where not!!? The few times that i have driven the Audi into Pune, i have always made it a point to retract the wing mirrors. Its almost a guarantee that some 2 wheeler would scrape past the wing mirror and run away without even a second glance, no matter how careful you are
Really annoying.
Amey --> I guess living there, you are well accustomed to it and know exactly how to react though
Yeah pretty much used to driving in Pune traffic.

Quote:
Hey Amey, the F10 sure looks sleek from the front! I would've preferred a darker color, but silver rocks as well! Have always been in total awe of the 7-Series, and now the 5 looks very close.

Hows the legroom and ride compared to the Superb? I guess, the 5 is the automatic choice, for a car more expensive than the Superb.

Thanks for taking the effort for the long buying experience - 'twas great to read!

Looking forward to reading about a highway ride in the Beemer.
Ride quality is nice although I feel that Superb was slightly comfy and soft.Again I could be wrong because I have just taken a TD of the Superb which isnt sufficient to draw a conclusion or make an one on one comparison.

Quote:
Congratulations Amey

Planning for a Superb and end up buying a brilliant beemer f10! typical Darky style.
Hey how do you know about the 'Darky' side ?

Quote:
Drop-dead gorgeous! Congrats and enjoy your new ride!

PS: Does it come with sun-roof or is that an option?
PPS: Does the iDrive come loaded with an Indian Navigation system?
Yes it comes with sunroof and no the Idrive doesnt come with navigation.

Quote:
Are the Dealers offering any discounts or schemes?
Nope,nothing as of now.There seems to be a small waiting for the new F10.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Does the iDrive come loaded with an Indian Navigation system?

I'l take the liberty to answer that one.
NO. So far, neither MMI ( Audi ) nor iDrive ( BMW ) are offering GPS on their multimedia systems. 'Government clearance issues' is what they always say. Volvo have been aggressively endorsing the XC90 & S80 in all Auto mags nowadays and so when we read GPS NAVIGATION as one of the goodies listed , we immediately inquired with Audi - " If Volvo & even Ford are offering it on their vehicles ( Endeavor ) that means clearance issues have been sorted. Why are you people not offering it ? "
Response - " Sir both of them have tied up with Map-My-India & running navigation systems in collaboration with them "
In Audi's case, with clearance now granted, they are now in the process of etching out their own detailed maps , which would take some time and once completed, Audis and Beemers with fully updated versions of MMI & iDrive respectively would have no issues in getting GPS on their screens as the arrangements and wiring have been already done in these cars .
Basically, its just a wait game now.
Old 14th September 2010, 17:49   #41
BHPian

Congratulations to your Dad and to you, on purchasing this mighty fine car. Your Dad, from your description appears to be a very bold person, taking decision on the spot and going for what he wants irrespective of the costs.

Well something similar seems to have happened with us also. My son (in Manchester) wanted to change his 525i and so we sat out to find another car. I did not want him to spend too much so had a budget in mind of 20,000 pounds and wanted a Approved Used car. But after considering used CLS, W212 E class, 6 & 7 series, and even the F10 5 series, finally ended up booking a new Jaguar XF 3.0 (Diesel) S for more than twice our budget. This is what happens when you buy with your heart rather than your head.

We shall be getting delivery tomorrow and I shall be posting details and pictures soon after that.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Maybe you meant, " How can someone consider a Fiat Linea and end up buying a 5 Series ? Something doesn't quite add up. ;-) But, fantastic purchase. Congrats! "

Yes, sorry I did, but mistyped. Can you please please explain how Linea ever came into consideration, for your purchase?
Old 14th September 2010, 19:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!

Congrats on your new car! Now when I see a new BMW 525D in Pune, I know who is driving it!!!!!

Just 1 question, how do you manage to clock in so many kilometers in a few years? My Micra is barely 2 months old, and I have done only about 700kms!!
Old 17th September 2010, 20:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

Lovely car, I dont like the Alloys though. Many congratulations.
Old 17th September 2010, 21:09   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa, congratulations on your 525d! As Technocrat posted, I'm a huge fan of the new 5. Sure, it doesn't have the steering of the E60, yet its way more of an all-rounder. Classic BMW styling, stunning engine & transmission, balanced ride & handling, top equipment level and a 5 year service plan. To be honest, of all the locally assembled cars sold in India today, I'd pick the new 5 series.

A couple of tips, hope they help you:

- Change the tyres to regular Michelins ASAP. They will greatly enhance the ride & handling. Look up Flyingspur's thread for his space saving solution.

- Spend some time customising the car via the iDrive interface. I had the car for two days, and by the time she went back, I'd made endless personalisation settings. The current gen iDrive is so much better than what the '02 7 series was launched with.

- Time to get Vkool / similar for your car? Go for a dark grey shade; will suit the silver body colour.

- Remember to practice the 60 second idle, most of all at the end of a drive. Restrict the revvs for the first 2,000 kms, then gradually take her to the redline over the next 1,500 - 2,000 kms.

Quote a garage you got now. A souped up Lancer & a torque monster.

Drive safe, will you!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks