Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 00:04   #61
BHPian

Hey Congrats Man!!
It surely is a beautiful ride!!

I have one question!! I love to drive and somehow I have always preferred to have Manual transmissions over Automatic(Although I will admit that I have not driven an Automatic car more than 5 kms). But since your car comes with Tip Tronic gearbox I wanted to know how does using this Tip Tronic gearbox in Manual Mode feel compared to a standard Manual. Your being a BMW and BMW are know for making Driver's cars I just wanted to know how different it is other than not having to operate the clutch.
Old 20th September 2010, 12:52   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Amey, your dad is a super cool dude, wish everbody has a dad like one.
Thats what you meant right ?

Quote:
congrats on this wonderful and i am guessing its a self drive most of the times as the rear seats still look a tad cramped.

Once you get some time from torque additcion post more detailed drivig impressions and how many kms you have clocked up till now.
Yes this will be mostly a self driven car. I havent been able to go for a long drive but have been driving in the city itself but still its huge fun. Might be taking her out for a long drive in a day or two.Will post initial impressions after that.

Quote:
wow thats an impressive write up. felt every emotion you went through, should say thanks for the detailed story really enjoyed reading it. sorry if i sound rude really couldn't hold the laugh when you went to the sales guy and asked the driver to take the car out i can visualize a person standing next to a brand new 5 series looking tensed and confused, probably if i would have been in your place i would have asked them to drive it till home. yes it will be scary to drive a brand new expensive car for the first time.

hearty congrats to you and your dad. drive safe.

are you planning for any protective coating are something of that sort?
Ofcourse I was tense because I am not used to driving automatics,I have driven a Lancer and Octy but this is bigger and then the price we paid, afterall its hard earned money gone into buying one so one wouldnt want even a scratch on it and definitely not the same day you get delivery.
No protective coating planned. Since I have covered parking and since all the cars are washed with a good shampoo daily,I dont think there should be much of a problem.

Quote:
i guess you are referring to the read on the pic says 575kms, from his posts it looks like he hasnt driven the car much, is that the odo reading 575 or the distance to empty saying 575kms?
Thats distance that can be covered in the available fuel.
Quote:
Wowwwwwwwwwww what a car and an equally justifiable write up, Congrats Amey. You should be gifted to have a dad like this, not everyone is that lucky. Thanks for the detailed photos, it came out well, just that it requires a nice background and a wicked pose from the front to add more aura to it.

Drive Safe and good luck on your new car.
Will be taking more pics of her soon.

Quote:
Just one suggestion, get those after market mats off of your Beemer.

BTW how did the Superb's rear legroom compare to the F10?
Haha.
The Superb is slightly more spacious at the rear I feel but the seats in the 5 felt slightly better in terms of support,angle etc.

Quote:
Congrats on the car ! Thats a worthy purchase for sure ! And yeah, a BIG BOSS to all the cars present in your garage!

Were you offered any choices for internal color combinations? I know Audi had couple of color schemes [read it somewhere] so though BMW also would have.

And couple of front pics !
Yes I was but since I went with the silver, I think black is best suited and I specifically did not want lighter interiors, its a pain to maintain it.

More pics coming soon.

Quote:
No, no, I was referring to his original post in which he has mentioned that his Octavia did 1,80,000 kms since 2005. I know, he has a business and travels a lot (since childhood, when we were in the same class in school! ), but 5 years & ~2L kms?? Wow!

The picture shows the DTE display for sure.
Well the main reason being we take the car out whenever we are going out of station and since both me and dad love driving, we do plan long trips.The Octy has seen Kanyakumari once and the Lancer has seen it twice.

Quote:
Quite a choice for a "workhorse" replacement Amey!

Just curious, how much does 5 year old car which has done close to 2,00,000 kms fetch in the Indian market ?
Must not be easy convincing individual buyers (not dealers).

Hearty congrats Amey and wish you many miles of happy motoring!
I sold my Octy for approx. 3L

Quote:
Hey Congrats Man!!
It surely is a beautiful ride!!

I have one question!! I love to drive and somehow I have always preferred to have Manual transmissions over Automatic(Although I will admit that I have not driven an Automatic car more than 5 kms). But since your car comes with Tip Tronic gearbox I wanted to know how does using this Tip Tronic gearbox in Manual Mode feel compared to a standard Manual. Your being a BMW and BMW are know for making Driver's cars I just wanted to know how different it is other than not having to operate the clutch.
Honestly I havent tried the manual mode as yet. Its not that different actually. Once you get used to it, it doesnt feel all that odd.
Old 21st September 2010, 14:48   #63
BHPian

welcome to the club

Hey Amey, congratulations on the new 5 series. I bought a 320D CE recently (check my post) and can easily relate to the emotions

Great choice. I got Secure free for the first year hence am not too worried about it. We will see what to do with it next year. Do take the car out and stretch her legs. I just did 210kph on the Expressway on Saturday on way to Lavasa. Feels like a breeze. I am sure the 5 would be even easier.

I like the font. More than that, all the Pune Beemers have a great shape on the front number plate. Its cut as per the lines of the bumber.

Happy driving and keep updating!!
Old 22nd September 2010, 10:49   #64
BHPian

its a priceless possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Ofcourse I was tense because I am not used to driving automatics,I have driven a Lancer and Octy but this is bigger and then the price we paid, afterall its hard earned money gone into buying one so one wouldnt want even a scratch on it and definitely not the same day you get delivery.
No protective coating planned. Since I have covered parking and since all the cars are washed with a good shampoo daily,I dont think there should be much of a problem.
you have every right to be tensed, it indeed takes out a huge amount of our hard earned money more than that, this is a dream rather than a expensive car so it has way more mental value than material value. what i'm trying to say is we feel its like a member of the family.

I generally dont fancy those under body coats and other protective coatings, cause will never have a car too long for such a protections besides cars these days have good treatment to withstand for atleast 5years which is more than enough. however since its a beemer you may have it for an extended period so you might consider one.

how is the ICE performance in the beemer? Planning for any upgrades?
Old 10th October 2011, 16:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ze German has arrived ! BMW F10 525D

Its now 1 year and my 525D has done just 8000kms!
Had no problems to date whatsoever. Interesting part is that she returns a good 13kmpl on my Mumbai/Khandala/mumbai trips, and thats very good, with me touching 170/180kmph on the expressway. The fact is for the 50kms[30minutes so average 100kmph] of the expressway she returns 15kmpl and by the time we reach office it goes down to 13, courtesy the Mumbai traffic. Yes and whilst going up to Khandala she returns sometimes 12.50kmpl because of the hill climb.
After the 1 year, I still Love my older E280cdi. I find the f10 more twitchy than the E city or highway.
Old 21st November 2011, 19:04   #66
BHPian

Congratulations Amey . She is a beauty !. And a nice twist in the story as well
Do go through her manual thoroughly though .
Old 25th April 2012, 15:07   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Its now 1 year and my 525D has done just 8000kms!
Had no problems to date whatsoever. Interesting part is that she returns a good 13kmpl on my Mumbai/Khandala/mumbai trips, and thats very good, with me touching 170/180kmph on the expressway. The fact is for the 50kms[30minutes so average 100kmph] of the expressway she returns 15kmpl and by the time we reach office it goes down to 13, courtesy the Mumbai traffic. Yes and whilst going up to Khandala she returns sometimes 12.50kmpl because of the hill climb.
After the 1 year, I still Love my older E280cdi. I find the f10 more twitchy than the E city or highway.
Scooby, switch from the RFT to nomal tubeless and see what happens
I purchased a new rim and a tyre and keep it in boot. I switched to Yokohama Advan Sport and after having driven close to 25k kms on it, I must say the normal tubeless tyres make the car so much more fun,cornering is sublime! I would prefer a little bit stiffer suspension though.
Old 25th April 2012, 15:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey View Post
Scooby, switch from the RFT to nomal tubeless and see what happens
I purchased a new rim and a tyre and keep it in boot. I switched to Yokohama Advan Sport and after having driven close to 25k kms on it, I must say the normal tubeless tyres make the car so much more fun,cornering is sublime! I would prefer a little bit stiffer suspension though.
Amey, will try this suggestion. I too feel there is something amiss in the suspension setup. The car bottoms on some of the culverts on the expressway though again this is speed related, and there is also a few funny noises from the front suspension from day one on bad roads at slow speeds and they diappear at higher speeds.
Old 25th April 2012, 20:14   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Amey, will try this suggestion. I too feel there is something amiss in the suspension setup. The car bottoms on some of the culverts on the expressway though again this is speed related, and there is also a few funny noises from the front suspension from day one on bad roads at slow speeds and they diappear at higher speeds.
The suspension of this car is a bit soft. Unfortunately only the new 525 has the suspension adjustment, otherwise moving it into sport would sort out the high speed ride a large amount. The extra noise from the front suspension may be the steering rack, I've noticed the same kind of noise in my 3 which also has the electronic steering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks