Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2010, 09:22   #16
BHPian

Uvmallya - I remember coming across a similar problem in a Qualis once. If i remember right, it had to do with some sensor which had to be reset. Anyways, hope your issue is settled soon. Try googling this issue on the various VW Polo forums, or please join one & post a thread there, you will surely get help !

I was not too impressed by the customer service at Downtown Volkswagen, i live down the road from their facility & found them to be technically poor. Your best bet would be to be in touch with the company directly. Don't rely too much on the dealer to solve your issues. Is it safe to drive the car in such a condition ? Are you facing any power loss ?

What surprises me :

- Companies spend so much to get new customers, but once got, fail miserably to retain them ! VW has such a huge advertising budget, but seems they have forgotten that is easier & cheaper to retain an existing
customer ! That too for a product positioned on the "Premium German" platform
Old 20th September 2010, 14:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Uvmallya - I remember coming across a similar problem in a Qualis once. If i remember right, it had to do with some sensor which had to be reset. Anyways, hope your issue is settled soon. Try googling this issue on the various VW Polo forums, or please join one & post a thread there, you will surely get help !

I was not too impressed by the customer service at Downtown Volkswagen, i live down the road from their facility & found them to be technically poor. Your best bet would be to be in touch with the company directly. Don't rely too much on the dealer to solve your issues. Is it safe to drive the car in such a condition ? Are you facing any power loss ?

What surprises me :

- Companies spend so much to get new customers, but once got, fail miserably to retain them ! VW has such a huge advertising budget, but seems they have forgotten that is easier & cheaper to retain an existing
customer ! That too for a product positioned on the "Premium German" platform
The customer service at Volkswagen Downtown may not have been the best. But in my case they have gone out of the way in trying to solve the problem with my car. Yes, as you said the best bet was VW company directly, but I have to say that is they who are playing hard to get. I have not received responses from them or assurances of setting right the problem which is facing my car. I am using the car now at the Company's risk which I have told the dealer. There is power loss when the turbocharger is not activated due to the flashing of the pre heating glow light.
If a company like VW can sit quietly without attending to the problems faced by the customers vehicles, they will get the right reply by the consumer who is very conscious about various options available today.

Last edited by uvmallya : 20th September 2010 at 15:00.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:10   #18
BHPian

As a fellow Polo owner, watching this thread very keenly. There are some people in this forum who actually have contacts of 'high ups' in these companies; let me see if I can locate the relevant threads.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

uvmallya - From what I have discussed with you, I get the following impression. please correct me if I am wrong:

Problem:
  • When you start the car for the first time, after moving a short distance, glow plug light flashes. Some times even the engine check light comes on.
  • When ever this happens, Turbo charger switches off, engine will work as a naturally aspirated diesel engine - Resulting in low power.
  • Even though the power is low, engine itself is smooth and it does not misfire/jerk during running.
  • If you switch off the engine and start again, it becomes all right and you can drive the car normally for any distance without any problem what so ever.
  • This happens not only during morning, but also in between stops - during the course of daily usage.
  • Same trend continues, even if the car is stopped for 10 minutes and restarted again.
Since the car runs normally when started second time, I feel that there is no problem with the Turbo charger or the engine/glow plugs.

The problem seems to be with the sensors (Turbo inlet pressure sensor, glow plug temperature sensor...etc) or the ECU. IMO most likely, it is the ECU. What ever is the problem, it is VW's responsibility to rectify.

Now - coming to the main issue - How to deal with it?

In my opinion, as I have discussed with you earlier, try not to leave the car with the dealer for long durations:
  • I have seen this Sensor/ECU related problem, with one more customer who had come to the VW service centre. Looks like you are not the only person who is suffering.
  • Since this is a peculiar problem, VW will take some time for sure, to sort it out. In the process, a few things would be replaced un-necessarily.
  • Why do you want your car to be the gunny pig? You are able to use the car, so use it. As you have mentioned, take assurance in writing from the dealer, that you are using the car at their risk. If they do not agree, ask for extension of warranty & a standby car.
  • I can understand that it hurts, when you have a new car with problems. Try to do what is under your control and relax.
End of the day, your car has only a minor problem and I am sure that it will be sorted out. Dealer's responsibility is, to be helpful and also to be technically competent. Without technical competency, just being nice will not solve the problem.

I was not happy with accessories fitment at Downtown. I thought that, it is only to do with accessories division. Now, I have to be a bit more vigilant.

If Passat, Jetta owners can throw some light, on VW Downtown engineers technical competency - It will be helpful.

Edit: Put pressure on VW. Crying baby gets milk. More than the dealer, VW is the important link. But always, maintain mutual respect (I know that you will). It helps.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 20th September 2010 at 16:44.
Old 20th September 2010, 16:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver2000 View Post
As a fellow Polo owner, watching this thread very keenly. There are some people in this forum who actually have contacts of 'high ups' in these companies; let me see if I can locate the relevant threads.
Thanks a lot for your observation & helpful suggestion. Don't you feel that the company should have basic courtesies extended to the customer when they come across a problem with the product? A multinational company like Volkswagen spends a huge amount on advertising their products through the various media but fail to respond after the consumer buys their product and has a problem with it.

Last edited by uvmallya : 20th September 2010 at 16:38.
Old 20th September 2010, 17:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
uvmallya - From what I have discussed with you, I get the following impression. please correct me if I am wrong:
.................. Crying baby gets milk. More than the dealer, VW is the important link. But always, maintain mutual respect (I know that you will). It helps.
@Chethan - You are absolutely correct with the assessment of my car problem. Now how to deal with the problem or simply "What next"?
I have brought my car back today from the dealers workshop informing that I am going to use it at their risk. Even today morning they were reluctant to commit to me if & when the problem with the car could be resolved. There is no point in leaving the car at their workshop for nothing to be done. As a Polo owner yourself you are aware how much you have paid for the car and also how long a period you had to wait to get delivery of the car. I will shortly be deciding on my future course of action in this matter.
@Edit: I have tried putting pressure on VW, but to no avail. My complaint has reached their top officials in the management & also executives in their publicity department. My emails have so far been very nice and courteous and eliciting their support in solving my problem. But when there is no response from their side I will have to think of other alternatives available to me.

Note from Mod - please avoid quoting entire post to improve readibility

Last edited by ajmat : 20th September 2010 at 21:14. Reason: Note from Mod - please avoid quoting entire post to improve readibility
Old 20th September 2010, 17:35   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvmallya View Post
I have tried putting pressure on VW, but to no avail. My complaint has reached their top officials in the management & also executives in their publicity department. My emails have so far been very nice and courteous and eliciting their support in solving my problem. But when there is no response from their side I will have to think of other alternatives available to me.
Keep all transactions/communications, properly documented. Instead of sending only E-Mails, send them a hard copy by Speed post (Govt) with return acknowledgment. Copy to Dealer also.

Let us pray that things do not go too far.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Keep all transactions/communications, properly documented. Instead of sending only E-Mails, send them a hard copy by Speed post (Govt) with return acknowledgment. Copy to Dealer also.

Yes surely I would pray that things do not go too far. I would be taking advise on how to proceed further in the matter and surely would keep my cool. I have kept with me all the required records and surely would send letters to the company with acknowledgement due.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:

It is surprising that VW hasn't replied. At most they have taken a couple of weeks, but they have usually replied.

I agree with Chethan on keeping a record of all correspondence. I usually prefer email and it has always worked for me. Speedpost will also work.

It would be nice to have the entire timeline recorded here including that of your correspondence.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
It is surprising that VW hasn't replied. At most they have taken a couple of weeks, but they have usually replied.

I agree with Chethan on keeping a record of all correspondence. I usually prefer email and it has always worked for me. Speedpost will also work.

It would be nice to have the entire timeline recorded here including that of your correspondence.
I will do that once I get back to my city, Mangalore. Right now I am still in Bangalore having come here to collect my car from the dealer. I have collected my car today and will be returning in a day or two to Mangalore.
Old 20th September 2010, 19:44   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

INEXPLICABLE!! It's bad enough for your brand new Polo to develop problems, but the response makes it even worse. You are a customer, your car is under warranty, and they'd (Company + Dealer) better do all they can to resolve the issue. VW is going to have to work hard to match the hassle-free ownership that the Japanese & Koreans provide.

On the brighter side, I have an update for you : Someone senior from VW has caught your thread, and wants to touch base with you. Please drop me a PM with your email address and I'll connect the two of you up. Hopefully, a solution is arrived at soon & your car is back on the road.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 20th September 2010, 20:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

That is good news for a harrowed customer and a welcome move from VW.
This underlines the power of forums like TBHP and the importance Car manufactures are attaching to them.If you become complacent buoyed by the success of Polo and treat customers indifferently, VW has to understand that the Indian customers can also be extremely punishing. The best case in point is Fiat.

Last edited by poloman : 20th September 2010 at 20:09.
Old 21st September 2010, 19:50   #28
BHPian

I have today brought back my car from the dealers workshop. The problem still persists and now the engine light which usually goes off after the engine starts refuses to go off. I have received a phone call this evening from one official of VW who said that they will be attending to the problem faced by my car. But no time frame has been given for setting right the problem.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:14   #29
BHPian

Hope the problem is solved and this does not result in a Skoda type of experience. Its harrowing to have a problem of this magnitude, makes it worse in case of a new car. Having come this far, VW should have offered you a replacement (standby) car until the problem is resolved. Or even better would be to offer you a new vehicle as a replacement.
Old 21st September 2010, 21:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Or even better would be to offer you a new vehicle as a replacement.
Just curious - What happens to road tax, insurance & registration cost if the vehicle is replaced?

Can those be transfered?

Last edited by Chethan B G : 21st September 2010 at 21:15.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks