Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:21   #1
BHPian

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home

Background
The 530d e60 was always my dream car and I am glad my dream ultimately came true by the grace of almighty.
Over the past 9 months I have been using a 3 series and I must say it was a gr8 experience. The 320d is a fine car , a gr8 drivers car which was reasonably comfortable. Things I dint like about the 3 were its very heavy steering that was ponderous in town and its cramped cabin. ( its ride on tubeless tyres were not bad at all – I always want my cars to be a little stiff by the way ).

The day I saw the F10 official pictures on the net I was so disappointed with the toned down looks of the car and was even more disappointed when I drove one . As you all know looks are a question of personal taste and well the f10 was not my piece of cake. It has fantastic business like interiors and definite presence on the road but very little character. That’s when I heard about an e60 at the dealership and I actual took a day of to go and see that car. Its looks , sporty interiors and driving experience just floored me and I had an irresistible desire to get it. I am very happy that u guys helped me finalise my car and bring the silver beauty home.

The Delivery -
Was there at 10.00 am with my dad and wife. The sales person was waiting for me. I rushed to the delivery area to see my gleaming silver beauty getting all dreassed up. Cleaners were making the final touches to the interiors.
Delivery was all smooth as expected from BMW, had to sign a few documents and had the usual photo session . A girl came with a flower bouquet and had to pose for a photo. She also gave me a Kit containing few chocolates , cap a tea shirt and few bmw car care products . I insisted on an M-Key chain and the did give me one as a compliment.
Got straight into the car and I did not need much briefing as the layout was very similar to the 320d. , had to find out the Night Vision button though .

We slowly drove the car home after tanking up the car and mom was waiting .
She saw the car and said it is as big as our superb and asked me if we needed two such big cars. I dint answer back and asked her to sit inside and took her for a small drive and she instantly liked it.

Intitial impressions-

1. Steering is a piece of art – brimming with feedback (even with 17inch tyres0 and feel. It just about the right hardness for me . My 3 did not give me such feel or feed back.some may not appreciate the razor sharp steering as it always keeps you aware of what the 4 contact patches are doing.
2. The car feels lighter that my 3 to drive possibly because of the servotronic steering and power delivery.
3. beakes are exceptional for feel and stopping power. Needs a bit of bedding in though
4. NVH levels are very high but still not good as the f10 or e class.
5. Quality and feel of the interiors are fabulous. Its sporty and not business class like the F10. I really like it .

Engine, gearbox, Power - hasn’t really pushed the car but on driving the car its easy to understand the potential of the beast underneath . The engine is very refined (may not as much as the F10) and the power delivery is explosive rather than butter smooth . There is a bit of lag from the 6 speed auto and a bit of hesitancy to downshift but its well compensated in the sport mode.

Ride and handling –

Ride on the 17 inch tubeless tyres (yokohama Advan Sport 225/50/17) is very good. The low speed ride is far better than the 320d but still not in e-class category. There is a hint of underlying stiffness . As the speed increases the ride becomes better . I would have to admit that the ride can never be called plush . small bumps are well rounded of but sharp ruts make their presence felt with suspension thuds , but the car never bounces around due to it s weight and long wheel base.

Handling is on par or even better than the three .Its a very neutral handling car , but over steer can be had it the DTC is switched off (havnt tried on my car though). I felt it more involving than the three because of the razor sharp steering that is better in feel and feedback than my 320d.

What I don’t like about the car (I am nitpicking)

1. NVH levels could have been better
2. The 6 speed auto is slow on down shift in D mode , furious in S mode
3. Rear feels a little claustrophobic due to tall front seats.
4. I don’t like the multi spoke alloys , but upsizing to 18 will definitely spoil the ride so sticking with them for now.
5. The lacquer equated wood trim that is a finger print nigh mare and picks up scratches so easily.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : SMS Language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP (gr8 and u in place of "great" and "you" respectively in this post). Please type in proper english for the benefit of our readers and for the ease of reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-5712.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-582.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-588.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-579.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-587.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-583.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-557.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-577.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-573.jpg  

Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-samsung-574.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th October 2010 at 18:05.
nirmalkrishnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car man. Brilliant choice I must say. I always thought the highline came standard with 18" rims?

And I see you have changed to Advan Sports. Good choice again.

Also try resetting your transmission since your finding it slow. The auto box adapts to your driving style and a reset will definitely help

"You put your key in/hit start ONCE so the electronics of the car come on but it is not started.

Then hold down the gas, past the downshift point to the floor for 25-30 seconds straight.

If you listen, at about 25s exactly you will hear some "noise" and that is the tranny "resetting" itself to factor specs"
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:48   #3
BHPian

nice buy. Excellent pictures of the headlight and tail light
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:57   #4
BHPian

is the lip spoiler on the boot part of standard equipment? or is it an aftermarket add-on? i have never seen a bimmer with such a spolier.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:14   #5
BHPian

veedub89 - It is the original M5 spoiler . got it from the dealership.

Any ideas on where to get these alloys for a reasonable price ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.
Attached Thumbnails
Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-m6-alloys.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd September 2010 at 02:52. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
nirmalkrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2010, 02:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Really a piece of art. Fabulous. Those M6 alloys would look amazing on your car but then its goodbye to the ride quality. Expect huge bumps felt inside the cabin.
Old 23rd September 2010, 13:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the 5series. I also like this model than the new F10. Wasn't the 18 inch 5 spoke alloys standard on the 530d HL? Nice pics, expecting more on-road pics of your car. The idea of getting those M6 wheels are good, they would look stunning in your silver car. Didn't you ask in the dealership how much would they cost?
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:20   #8
BHPian

From april 2009 onwards the 18inch 5 spoke is a cost option . The M6 alloys cost a whopping 1.95l lakhs for a set of 4 at the dealership.
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:00   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalkrishnan View Post
From april 2009 onwards the 18inch 5 spoke is a cost option . The M6 alloys cost a whopping 1.95l lakhs for a set of 4 at the dealership.
Lol on alloywheelsdirect.com they are for 2605 pounds so 1.95 lacs sounds about correct. The M5 wheels are about 900 punds cheaper.
Old 24th September 2010, 13:35   #10
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Nirmal, Will definitely induce to drive fast. Drive safe and happy motoring.
Old 24th September 2010, 17:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude on the E60. It has better looks than the F10 for sure. Please do post more interior shots and drive safe!
Old 4th October 2010, 07:49   #12
BHPian

I need your help once more guys. One of my friends can get me 17inch m6 alloys from dubai . They are specified as 17x8j (stock is 17x7j) , offset 20 , pcd 120x5 . My tyre size is 225/50/17 (yoko advan sport Tubeless) . just concerned if the rim width is too much for that tyre size. Will appreciate any help possible.
I have to make a decision ASAP as he is coming back in a couple of days.
This is the rim
Attached Thumbnails
Brought my Silver beauty (e60 530d highline) home-03102010108.jpg  

Last edited by nirmalkrishnan : 4th October 2010 at 07:50.
nirmalkrishnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2010, 09:52   #13
BHPian

Hey nirmal congrats on your buy. In the last pic you have posted the M logo is missing and the BMW symbol looks weird to me. It can be a problem with my eyes, cant say :-)
Old 4th October 2010, 10:01   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalkrishnan View Post
I need your help once more guys. One of my friends can get me 17inch m6 alloys from dubai . They are specified as 17x8j (stock is 17x7j) , offset 20 , pcd 120x5 . My tyre size is 225/50/17 (yoko advan sport Tubeless) . just concerned if the rim width is too much for that tyre size. Will appreciate any help possible.
I have to make a decision ASAP as he is coming back in a couple of days.
This is the rim
Yes 8j rims will be fine. Any wider and it might have been a problem but from what Ive read 8j is the max for 225 tyres.

But please use the centre cap from your existing wheels.
Old 4th October 2010, 11:08   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. And this being the 530D, it will put a on your face with that unadulterated hydraulic power steering. And regarding the looks, the E60 is bangle's best. Keep that torque under control and drive with kid gloves.

P.S.: I'm earnestly waiting for a pre-worshipped E60 530D.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 4th October 2010 at 11:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks