Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 13:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
If the 2010 Palio SDX happens to me, may be you could consider buying this very own Palio
If you are serious about it I am in queue.

Thanks

Sateesh
Old 27th September 2010, 14:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Here is some Flashback:

Why the Palio SDX? I dont have to tell more on why Fiat, as anyone who had any Fiat car would know. One bright afternoon, precisely 21st July 2010, after a heavy lunch, I did not have the urge to work. I thought let me relax for a few minutes and resume work. Suddenly, I got a thought of buying a new car by end of this year with no hurries. This thought I beleived was a good one since I would be getting married shortly and intend to hit the highways very often. Being a petrol head all the time, this time the thought was for a diesel. Again, I thought I should keep my mind wide open, options open. My first preference was obviously a Fiat. I knew Palio was shelved at that time.

I casually opened sites like carwale.com to check and compare the Puntos and Lineas with the Swifts and so on. I thought for myself, if not a Fiat car, atleast it has to be something with the Fiat MJD engine. In most sites I still was able to see Palios. I was a bit baffled as it was discontinued car. Out of curiosity I visited the Fiat site and found that Palio Stile was still listed. My curiosity doubled. I called up a TATA showroom and enquired, they told yes, the Palios are available but with a delay of over a month. My mouth starter to water. As per the price seen on the site, ex price was 4.84lac and my rough estimate was I would get it for 5.5 on road. When asked about the price, I was told it was 4.65lac on road. I was like, "what the HELL?". I asked the lady sarcastically again, please TELL ME the on road price, not ex- price. She confirmed that it was on-road but did not know any details or the huge discount of the Dhamaka offer.

After I called a few more dealers, I got to know about the discount of 1+ lac. With no hesitation, went and booked it the very next moment. Then, the wait began. There were 'n' number of speculation whether the Palio will be manufactured or not, Fiat has received too many bookings and so on. I patiently waited. Since, there was never a 100% confirmation whether or not they would make it, I thought for myself, why not research on another car. I did many many comparisons unsatisfactorily. Puntos and Lineas dont fit my budget, else that was my choice. Then I got a very nice idea, why not me buy a used Palio Stile SDX and trade my Maruti 800 to a K-series Alto and give it to my would be wifey. Then made all calculations and found that by just shelling a few additional thousands and trade my M800, I will end up with a used Palio + new K10. Then bang on! Started seriously searching for the Palio SDX and zeroed on this one. I still would prefer to keep the 2010 Palio SDX if it really happens. Present expectation by Fiat is it will be delivered in the 2nd half of October. Now since I got this car, I can happily and pleasantly wait it out. I feel amazingly lucky to have got this wonderfully maintained Palio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
If you are serious about it I am in queue.
Sure. I will keep this very thread updated on any upcomings.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2010, 16:20   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Karthik for your "pre-cared" (get a patent for this very nice term before any others can use it ) Palio.

I had been tracking this "Dhamaka offer" thread since almost it started.
I didn't have the time like you to wait...so went and booked a Punto.

This '08 Palio looks great expecially the interiors.

I wish you all the best. Keep both of your girls happy(this one and the one coming shortly into your life)

I wish that the '10 palio dream of yours comes true.
Old 27th September 2010, 16:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I dont remember seeing any Palio with all the letters on the street. Wonder if they come with bad glue that falls of during water service or may be some kids at parking lots pull them off? Its still a mystery to me. Yes, it will be fixed soon.
Mine has them intact -
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-img_94271.jpg
Old 27th September 2010, 17:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Mine has them intact -
Attachment 430712
Amazing!! Whats the secret behind it? What do you think in your opinion that these letters fall off? I have seen many Puntos and other brand cars with similar defects.

By the way, the reverse gear lock doesnt appear to be working in my Palio. I mean it operates without pulling the lock. Could the previous owner have got it disabled? I dont mind the way is is now, but curious to know why or the hows behind it.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Amazing!! Whats the secret behind it? What do you think in your opinion that these letters fall off? I have seen many Puntos and other brand cars with similar defects.
There are no secrets. I didn't do anything special to keep them there.
I think overheating (parking in hot sun for long) could be a reason - for the glue to loosen.

Quote:
By the way, the reverse gear lock doesnt appear to be working in my Palio. I mean it operates without pulling the lock. Could the previous owner have got it disabled? I dont mind the way is is now, but curious to know why or the hows behind it.
I too don't see a big value of this reverse-gear-lock. It only keeps me tensed whenever I have to give my car to 'Valet parking' or to a friend to drive.
It's useful maybe for Skoda where reverse gear is next to the first gear in forward direction - to avoid mixing up between 1st and reverse gear.
Old 27th September 2010, 17:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I too don't see a big value of this reverse-gear-lock. It only keeps me tensed whenever I have to give my car to 'Valet parking' or to a friend to drive.

I agree. So is there a simple way where one can enable or disable this lock?

By the way, here are some pics that we clicked when we first saw her. I loved the pic of my NE with the SDX. Its like it is approving me to buy the SDX. Quality of the pics may not be very great since it was taken from a mobile phone
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0082.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0084.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0086.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0087.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0088.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0089.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0092.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0093.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0094.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 27th September 2010 at 17:43.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2010, 08:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
So is there a simple way where one can enable or disable this lock?
I guess there is. I remember reading a DIY instruction thread here in TBHP.
Try searching for that post. I will also try.
Old 28th September 2010, 22:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Karthik, welcome to the Palio club!

Enjoy the drive on the Black beauty!
Old 29th September 2010, 14:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would want to change the tires and rims on my SDX to alloys and best suitable tires. I am not really sure what or how to choose them. More likely this would happen in a months time. I only know that all Fiats including Palios are 98 PCD.

My requirements are:
1) I want alloys of good quality and decent looks and priced well. Dont want to shell out a bomb. Mainly, I want something which does it jobs well and is sturdy and lasts long.

2) Can I go for 14 inch alloys without it ruining too much of the FE or ruining any suspension parts. Or would it interfere with any part while turning or on bumpy roads. I mean, are there too many -ve's than +ve's?

3) What tires to choose from. I would want wider tires. Again, not to an extent where steering becomes too hard or loose out on FE.

To sum up, I am looking for perfectly matched tires on very good alloys at a reasonable price. If possible, 14 inch.

On the Fiat Palio Stile 2010 Dhamaka offer:
The chances of getting the 2010 Palio Stile seems to be very bleak, atleast as per some discussions happening at the Palio Users Group (PUG) forum. I am proud to say that I too am part of the PUG. For those who think might be interested to buy this car from me in case 2010 Palio happens, dont set too much of an expectation. In my opinion, chances of 2010 Palio Stiles are like 20%.

Last edited by funkykar : 29th September 2010 at 14:32.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:21   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

i have seen many palios fitted with 15" with 98 pitch center and they use 185/55/R15 or 195/60/R15 tyres. is this advisable? if this doesn't spoil the driving comfort at any point of time, this will be best. it looks also great. the over all diameter of 14" alloy wheel with stock 175/65/14 will be almost equal to 15" alloy wheel with 185/55/15 and slick tyres are the best in terms of road grip, and tyre is also very strong compared to stock tyres. please put your opinions guys.
Old 29th September 2010, 15:48   #27
h14
BHPian

Hi Karthik, many congratulations on the great buy. Hope you will get the headache that you wanted.
Old 29th September 2010, 19:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on a really well maintained car. It cannot be called as a used/pre-owned and you have aptly coined the term pre-cared for her. Very rare to get something similar indeed!

Wishing you many more happy and trouble free miles with the car
Old 29th September 2010, 20:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nice car and congrats. This means that you did not purchase the one that had some oil/coolant problems is it not? You have mentioned about this in one of the posts in the other thread, I suppose.
Happy Milecrunching Mate.
Old 29th September 2010, 20:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Nice car and congrats. This means that you did not purchase the one that had some oil/coolant problems is it not? You have mentioned about this in one of the posts in the other thread, I suppose.
Happy Milecrunching Mate.

This is the same one. After some research and visiting the service center and speaking to the engineer who worked on it, found that it was not really an issue and the failed part was replaced under warranty and oil and coolant replaced.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed