Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 11:52   #46
Senior - BHPian

@SilkDrive:
Very elaborate information you posted. There werent too much jargon and an avergely knowledgeable people can grasp it very easily.

I may end up not putting in a performance box for some of the reasons you stated on the post. Moreover, being a newbie to the MJD, I guess I should give myself enough time to enjoy the default power and torque. Else, chances are I may not even know how the default power and torque would taste like. I intend to keep this car (if 2010 doesnt happen) for a very very long time, just like my other Fiats. So, I wouldnt risk anything.

Now, I have one more question to you. What would be the impact of installing in a K&N filter alone. I know it enhances performance to good extent, again I dont want to take any chances that would do even a little bad to the engine.
Old 1st October 2010, 13:02   #47
BHPian

Thank you Karthik,

Well the entire trick here is to keep the air-fuel ratio, precisely as close as possible to the OEM setting. If the percentage of fuel is more then the mexture is said to become too "rich" and strains the engine. On the otherhand if the air is more, the mixture burns/explodes at a much higher temperature inside the cyllinder and that takes its toll on the riston rings and valves (but of course over a long period of time).

So, to safely upgrade the filter, u need to know the OEM ratio and also the increase in air intake because of the K&N. Based on these 2 inputs you can calculate the precise amount, by which the ECU tuning has to be adjusted, to supply extra fuel to the engine to maintain the same ratio.

This MOD is analogous to a tyre upgrade, we may get better grip, handling comfort etc via an upgrade but its still of best interest to stick as close as possible to the OEM Outer diameter. A layman may not judge so much and go by what he liked in terms of comfort, looks recommendations etc but a wrong size impacts the car and the suspension over time.

Same here. Goal is to stick to the original ratio of air fuel mixture. Please try to find out this ratio, make calculations and modifications accordingly and its absolutely safe.

Last edited by SilkDrive : 1st October 2010 at 13:04.
Old 1st October 2010, 13:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

^ Excellent! I always thought that atleast installing a K & N was simple and 100% harmless. This has definitely has put enough thoughts to ponder in my mind. If not for the discussion that happened about performance enhancement boxes, I might have blindly installed a K & N without any research. I took cue from your first response and got the strange feeling that K&N may not be a good idea to install without research.

If I do decide for a performance air filter, I will get in touch with you. I dont understand the math of the ratios, I am very sure you will help me given I get you the necessary data.

Again, thanks a lot on extending the support. When it comes to the Palio I got home, its still dry days. I am NOT YET allowed to drive it. My fingers are itching to hold the steering wheel and foot itching to hit the pedals. I am presently staying calm and patient by driving my classic Premier Padmini S1 and my 118 NE.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

I am still rearing to drive my Palio. I will get the go ahead tomorrow morning. Its simply parked in front of my house since the day I bought it. I am presently not allowed to use it for some auspicious reasons. I personally dont believe in that, but just complying with the family. As of now, I am just starting it every 2-3 days and idling for 5-8 minutes.

Things on my mind:
1) I need a very good music system. It should have all the basic MP3, Cd blah blah and an Aux port to connect something like a iPOD and a USB port. I dont want to go for woofers or amps. I really dont want to use up any space at the boot. I just would want any very very good quality speakers that would fit in at the rear. I want something where the wiring provided by the company would suffice. It presently has some basic music system with rear speakers and front door speakers. I am not a bit happy with it.

In short, I want a quality music system thats loud and clear and close to a setup with amps. Target is to get done within a fortnight.

2) Tires and alloys. I would like to have a 14 inch setup. I feel it would look very macho. My driving would be the smooth, some times rough and many times pot holed roads, regular rainy days in Bangalore. I would do a lot of highway driving too that may include dry/wet highway roads in and around south India. I am generally a fast driver. I dont intend to take it the jungles too much. What tires are the best for Palios?

I want some thing that does it job very well, doesnt affect the FE too much and doesnt become sluggish. Also, are alloys really necessary? Is it more or less only for show? Would alloys fit my driving profile or stock rims are better? Target is to do the makeover in November or atleast until I get solid confirmation that 2010 Palio will not happen. Either way, I would do this makeover on the exisiting Palio or the 2010 Palio.

Some pics of my Stile and Karthik1100's Sport.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0145.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-spm_a0146.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 7th October 2010 at 11:52.
funkykar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 07:36   #50
Senior - BHPian

That "MB" on the license plate of Palio Sport goes well with Karthik1100's name.
How did I miss this thread for >2weeks?
Congrats Funkykar. Stile looks awesome in black color. Saw one a few days back and loved it in this color.

Regarding ICE, I would advice that do opt for front speakers as well.
Our old M800 got ICEd in feb2010 with a Pioneer 2290UB Head Unit and JBL GT5-S396 co-axial 3-way speakers(oval ones). Now, I really wish I should have opted for front speakers as well, even though 800 can just take 4" speakers in the dash.

If you want a single DIN system, I would advice Pioneer DEH-2290UB head unit (I'm not an audiophile and do not know much about many HUs but I'm more than happy with it). It gives me excellent output for co-axials. I've not tried high volumes as I keep volume below 16-18. Bass is also good.
It has all the necessary equipment- RCA pre-out for amp, USB/AUX-in with full iPod/iPhone compatibility, sound quality is excellent as per my requirements. Feb2010 price: Rs5.8k. Great VFM at this price.
Another good option is Alpine.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-deh2290ub.jpg  

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 11th October 2010 at 07:45. Reason: errors in typing
Old 11th October 2010, 21:21   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some pics of Karthik Makam's FIATs! PALIO decorated by me.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dscn6343.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dscn6350.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dscn6360.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dscn6420-1.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dscn6341.jpg  

Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2010, 22:08   #52
Senior - BHPian

Karthik1100 , you've nicely decorated the car .It feels very great to see Fiat Palio with that bouquet.I'm curious to know the reason why the car was decorated. Did Funkyar get married?

I liked the last picture - both Italian hatchbacks look awesome Btw, whose is that VW Beetle? Pavan Kadam's?

Drive safe. Always wear seat-belts.

Amith

Last edited by Klub Class : 11th October 2010 at 22:10.
Old 11th October 2010, 22:29   #53
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Karthik1100 , you've nicely decorated the car .It feels very great to see Fiat Palio with that bouquet.I'm curious to know the reason why the car was decorated.
Thanks Amith!

Quote:
Did Funkyar get married?
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I am getting married next month. After that I plan to do few thousand kms trip with my soon-to-be wife!!
Correct guess.

Quote:
I liked the last picture - both Italian hatchbacks look awesome Btw, whose is that VW Beetle? Pavan Kadam's?
Drive safe. Always wear seat-belts.
Amith
Yes its Pavan's Beetle. Punto belongs to Sujith1100.

Left to right: Karthik1100, Sujith1100, Arun1100, FUNKYKAR and GreenDay(Chethan)
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dscn6367.jpg  

Karthik1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2010, 16:34   #54
BHPian

Nice pics Karthik,

Feels good to see fellow bhpians pics in real. Hope you guys had a great time. Please do post some more pics if available.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:48   #55
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I may now have completed close to 1000 kms with the SDX, I am LOVING every kilometer's drive. Just returned from a 2 day drive to Kemmangundi. The place and drive both was really mind boggling. Simply say, I did not want to get off the wheel and wanted to drive and drive till eternity. The TURBO reminds me of my RX 135 bike. It’s just “WOW”. It gives a great adrenaline rush when the RPM crosses 1800. TURBO 3rd and 4th gear is simply AWESOME. I had every petrol head, diesel heads and almost every SUV and VOLVOS a run for their money. Handling is super sexy and is such a MANLY car. Now I really understand why people swear to it as BUILT LIKE A TANK. It glides easily on small pot holes. You can hardly notice it.

Mileage front:
City
AC 100% ON
138 kms in 9.23 lts
Average: 14.95
Driven in heavy-medium, mostly heavy traffic conditions.

Highway
AC 100% ON
581 kms in 29.65 lts
Average: 19.59
- Driven atleast 200 kms in extreme rains
- Atleast 50 kms in traffic type conditions (Home to Nelamangala and Nelamangala to home was pretty pathetic traffic snarls)
- Have idled various times amounting to 45-60 mins additional idling with heater on. While driving, either the AC or heater was ALWAYS ON

Here are some pictures of my baby:
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00180.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00182.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00184.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00186.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00187.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00228.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00232.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00233.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00260.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00262.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 16th October 2010 at 22:55.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:54   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pictures there! By the way is it still raining in the malnad region?

How did the car behave on the ghats. Also did you feel the headlights were adequate.
Old 16th October 2010, 22:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Lovely pictures there! By the way is it still raining in the malnad region?

How did the car behave on the ghats. Also did you feel the headlights were adequate.

Day before yesterday it had rained heavily in this region. Yesterday was sedate, just cold. Today morning there was some rain.

It behaved pretty nicely on the ghat. This is the only place where at times you feel that this is a diesel car, else its just like a petrol car.

Some more pics:
Attached Thumbnails
It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00263.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00270.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00408.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00425.jpg  

It's Mine!! "Pre-Cared Fiat Palio Stile SDX" - Just another FIAT in my life!-dsc00431.jpg  

Last edited by funkykar : 16th October 2010 at 23:04.
Old 17th October 2010, 22:38   #58
BANNED

Nice pics Karthik. Good to know that your Palio is serving you well.

As Fiat will be delivering you a new Palio this month end, please let me know if you are ready to part with it. I would surely be interested.
Old 17th October 2010, 23:14   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Mileage front:
City
AC 100% ON
138 kms in 9.23 lts
Average: 14.95
Driven in heavy-medium, mostly heavy traffic conditions.
. While driving, either the AC or heater was ALWAYS ON

Here are some pictures of my baby:
From what i know, you are allergic to A/C

Guess, people change after an auspicious occasion in their life
Old 18th October 2010, 08:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Nice pics Karthik. Good to know that your Palio is serving you well.

As Fiat will be delivering you a new Palio this month end, please let me know if you are ready to part with it. I would surely be interested.
Too many people asking this Palio. Let us see if Fiat really delivers the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
From what i know, you are allergic to A/C

Guess, people change after an auspicious occasion in their life
Yes Pavan. I really dont like the AC, whether it is car or home/office. I am so impressed by how the previous owner has kept the interiors(feels like a new car), I too want to keep it the same. Yet to come to terms with the AC. I am still not comfortable driving with Windows up and AC on. When I drive my S1 or my NE, I really feel like a king, windows down, one hand leaning over the door.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks