Average. Might as well opt for a cheaper car 3 15.00%
Pathetic. Car on re-sale on its 3rd day. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 13:11   #1
BHPian

My first 'Silver Surfer' - The Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta in Sleek Silver

Dearest Team-BHP!!

I am thrilled to proclaim my first ever automobile acquisition!

The 2010 Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta BSIV.

A crisp summary of my experience so far - just 6 days old.

1) Got the PDI done 1 day in advance. Very helpful workshop assistant at Hyundai Sewri workshop. Thorough check up done. Nothing seemed amiss.

2) Sales support was good and delivery experience felt a little rushed.

3) Driven 220 kms so far. ODO reads 312. So the car was driven around quite a bit before delivery and registration.

Reasons to cheer
1) The silver colour is my favourite. It looks young, sporty, fresh at all times and easiest to maintain.

2) Interiors are very roomy and plush.

3) Ride is as luxurious as my dads NHC.

4) Front passenger leg room is huge - even for six footers.

5) Workmanship is above par for cars in this segment.

6) Engine response is smooth and the 3rd gear is rather strong.

7) Interior illumination is pleasant and gives a big car feel.

8) Gear shift is slick. Clutch press and brake are almost perfectly calibrated.

9) Road view, stance, rear view is quite adequate for my height, which 6.1 ft.

10) Steering feel is light but not lifeless.

11) Engine bay is well sorted and well spaced.

12) Boot is huge!

Reasons to frown
1)Quality of paint/ shine on the bumpers seems below average. Very thin coat of paint.
2)Quality of plastics and rubber is definitely cheap if compared to the 2009 i20s.
3)The chrome plated levers and knobs are not to my taste but I had already made a compromise on it before finalizing the purchase.
4)Air Conditioning is definitely under performing in the current Mumbai weather – which is fluctuating between 28 and 33 degrees.
5)Engine at idle is rather silent but vibration is evident.
6)Front passenger seats are oddly designed. The back feels hunched in any position. I’m already getting an upper back slouch.
7)Just noticed an odd continuously intermittent ‘hissing’ sound at the left rear end near exhaust. Almost like how a deflating tyre sounds. Cannot figure what it is. Have to check with the workshop.
8)Peculiar but odd feature again – when doors are locked from inside and the door lever is pulled, the central locking system automatically unlocks and doors open. As per Hyundai this is a normal feature for benefit of customers. In my view it is dangerous. What If a child tries to open the door while the car is running!!
9)The automatic central locking at speed over 40kmph is not standard factory setting. You have to activate it at the first service.
10)Horn sound is too shrill and weak. Even the old Maruti 800 had a better sounding horn.

Do let me know your views, opinions, advice if any.

Will be posting pictures and more on driving experience in the coming days.

Cheers!
Yashodeep
Old 27th September 2010, 13:53   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashodeep View Post
Dearest Team-BHP!!

Reasons to frown
4)Air Conditioning is definitely under performing in the current Mumbai weather – which is fluctuating between 28 and 33 degrees.
Do let me know your views, opinions, advice if any.
Will be posting pictures and more on driving experience in the coming days.

Cheers!
Yashodeep
I suggest you check/try the following:
1) when you put ON the AC in Auto mode and say keep the temperature at 15.5 or even less(Lo) it keeps the recirculation mode OFF. Turn it ON. AC gurus may explain this behavior whether it is correct or not. Ideally it should turn on the Recirculation mode after some time.

2) Try only Manual mode, lowest setting at high speed fan.

Personally i feel AC is Okayish(Have not tried in very hot conditions) but not in the league of i10 or even an Alto.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:55   #3
BHPian

@Yashodeep, Congrats on the purchase of your i20. It is a very good car and it sure will not disappoint you.

Quote:
8)Peculiar but odd feature again – when doors are locked from inside and the door lever is pulled, the central locking system automatically unlocks and doors open. As per Hyundai this is a normal feature for benefit of customers. In my view it is dangerous. What If a child tries to open the door while the car is running!!
Yes. I had this experience when the door was suddenely opened by my 1 yr old nephew by pulling the door open lever. Thanks to the door open alarm, I got to know about it immediately. There might be some way to disable this feature I suppose.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:04   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the acquisition.

Yeah silver colour is easy to maintain.

I'd advise you to go through the 'Running in your vehicle' thread. The idle-time vibrations may ease up, if not vanish, when the engine has been properly run-in.

Waiting for the pictures.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
I suggest you check/try the following:
1) when you put ON the AC in Auto mode and say keep the temperature at 15.5 or even less(Lo) it keeps the recirculation mode OFF. Turn it ON. AC gurus may explain this behavior whether it is correct or not. Ideally it should turn on the Recirculation mode after some time.

2) Try only Manual mode, lowest setting at high speed fan.

Personally i feel AC is Okayish(Have not tried in very hot conditions) but not in the league of i10 or even an Alto.
@iPai
Thats exactly my wonder. Ideally speaking, with auto mode, the re-circulation should turn on by default. I run the AC on manual at 20 degrees with air direction towards face and feet. This helps in cooling the cabin much faster.
Old 27th September 2010, 14:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemer View Post
Congrats on the acquisition.

Yeah silver colour is easy to maintain.

I'd advise you to go through the 'Running in your vehicle' thread. The idle-time vibrations may ease up, if not vanish, when the engine has been properly run-in.

Waiting for the pictures.
Agree. Should read through the manual asap.
Old 28th September 2010, 21:32   #7
BHPian

Congrats, Yashodeep. Many more happy miles, i am sure you will enjoy the machine.
Please read through the other i20 owners reviews you will get lots of information.

Also you can enable auto lock when the drive more than 40 KmPH. Check with your Hundai showroom.
Old 30th September 2010, 01:00   #8
BHPian

Hey all,

Ever since I have been following threads on i20 steering and AC issues, every time I drive my car my attention is focused on the steering and the AC. I must say the AC is working quite alright in the current hot and humid Bombay weather.

But I have few doubts on the steering part. Vibration (mild to severe) does exist when the car is driven over medium and really bad rough roads or pot holes. Sometimes when the car goes into a slightly deep pot hole or hits a sharp bump I tend to feel that the steering shudders and in a very understated way it knocks or creaks.

So, I'm not very sure whether my brand new car has the famous steering problem. Please do share your own experiences with respect to driving through rough roads.

Another thing, the hissing sound near the exhaust area is persistent. Is this normal? Because I have heard two other i20s to be making this sound. It is a very low decibel/ frequency 'hiss' in tune with the exhaust sound. Like the tyre is being deflated softly. So, is this okay?
Old 2nd October 2010, 20:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
@Yashodeep, Congrats on the purchase of your i20. It is a very good car and it sure will not disappoint you.

Yes. I had this experience when the door was suddenely opened by my 1 yr old nephew by pulling the door open lever. Thanks to the door open alarm, I got to know about it immediately. There might be some way to disable this feature I suppose.
This is a feature that is present in most cars in US and Europe. The central lock control is given to both the driver and front passenger. In those countries, it is against the law for children to be seated in the front seat. If you check in your car, you will find that the back seat door levers do not unlock when central locking is on. It is only the front door levers which have this facility.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi yashodeep - congrats on your latest acquisition - the 'silver surfer'

On your concern -

7)Just noticed an odd continuously intermittent ‘hissing’ sound at the left rear end near exhaust. Almost like how a deflating tyre sounds. Cannot figure what it is. Have to check with the workshop.

Do not be worried because this is only the fuel tank pressure release valve at work. I am sure you start hearing this sound after doing a full tank. Whenever the fuel level drops to around half tank, the hissing sound should stop. Check for yourself and let know.

Drive safe!
Old 6th October 2010, 01:11   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Hi yashodeep - congrats on your latest acquisition - the 'silver surfer'

On your concern -

Do not be worried because this is only the fuel tank pressure release valve at work. I am sure you start hearing this sound after doing a full tank. Whenever the fuel level drops to around half tank, the hissing sound should stop. Check for yourself and let know.

Drive safe!

Will certainly check this and post the findings. Thanks for the info!
Old 7th October 2010, 13:43   #12
BHPian

Hi mvj,

Yes i did experience this only about 2 days ago. But my opinion on this is that automobile feature specs should be country/market specific and not generalized.

Quote:
Will certainly check this and post the findings. Thanks for the info!

blackasta,

You were right. The 'hiss' sound had disappeared after the fuel level reduced below half tank.

The steering rattle+knocking is evident while driving on rough roads. Have placed a verbal complaint with Hyundai Sales as of today. Will be writing to them too.

Hope it gets sorted without any invasive surgery.

Yashodeep

Last edited by v12 : 7th October 2010 at 18:47. Reason: Please use the Edit option instead of creating back-to-back posts.
Old 10th November 2010, 22:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2)Quality of plastics and rubber is definitely cheap if compared to the 2009 i20s.
Can any new owners confirm this? The car has great plastic quality compared to the Punto or most cars except for the Jazz. I would not be pleased if they reduced the quality.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:04   #14
BHPian

+1 on the above query about plastic quality.
Is it a major difference?
Someone please help on this.

Most Viewed