Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 22:50   #46
Senior - BHPian

Cladding painted and received car

Cladding painting done and received car. I inspected thoroughly and it is neat job and re-fitting of cladding is also neat. I will inspect more tomorrow during daylight. Could not take pics as had to go somewhere and raining heavily.

Only one goof-up they have done. They have painted (non painted portion) wheel cover in Cycus Grey color. However it is looking fine. But normally it is in Arctic Silver Color.

Top portion they have painted in Cycus Grey color. Cladding and bumper in Arctic Silver.
Old 7th October 2010, 01:48   #47
BHPian

Nice color choice and nice reporting on the Safari Anuj. How is driving comfort in traffic compared to 800? Do you still use your 800 for daily city drive and the Safari for road trips? You migrated from 800 to Safari - were you saving all these years ;-) Happy mile crunching !!
sindabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 10:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad View Post
Nice color choice and nice reporting on the Safari Anuj. How is driving comfort in traffic compared to 800? Do you still use your 800 for daily city drive and the Safari for road trips? You migrated from 800 to Safari - were you saving all these years ;-) Happy mile crunching !!
I am using Safari only and 800 going to be sold. Driving comfort in Safari is way ahead of 800 and city driving is not a problem at all for me (My family had other big cars Qualis, Sumo etc).

Only one issue is big turning radius of Safari which eventually creates problem taking U turn but you will get habituated.
Old 9th October 2010, 09:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

First Fuel Efficiency Figure

Yesterday I filled tank of Safari and it gulped 53.62 liters of Diesel after 493 Kms of pure city bumper to bumper ride with 100% AC. I had to stand idle so many times on Old Madras Road/Ring Road due to pathetic jam.

Final fuel efficiency for almost first five hundred kilometers: 9.1943 KM/L

I think it is not bad.
Old 11th October 2010, 18:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Returned from 550 Kms Tirupati

Just returned from 550 Kms impromptu roundtrip from Tirupati. Experience of Safari was fantastic during whole journey. Immediate observation is "After returning from trip in my 800 I used to feel very tired now in Safari feeling not at all tired".

Current KMs on ODO: 1157 Kms.
Pure Highway average: 12.82 KM/Litre (Distance 431 KMs and Total diesel filled 33.61 Litres)

Now my Safari is due for first servicing.

There are few more observations to follow.

Few photos during trip (With cladding painted)

The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-tata-safari-4.jpg

The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-tata-safari-3.jpg

The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-tata-safari-1.jpg

The Ride" 2010 Tata Safari Lx VTT - Cycus Grey-tata-safari-6.jpg
Old 11th October 2010, 19:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Anuj: Just one of the many trip you will be enjoying in times to come!

And may I ask as to what your cruising speed was?
Old 11th October 2010, 19:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Anuj: Just one of the many trip you will be enjoying in times to come!

And may I ask as to what your cruising speed was?
Safari was driven around 80 - 90 KMPH (Max speed touched 100 KMPH momentarily).

Few Observations:

1. I feel fifth gear is very tall and it is 70% time not suitable for state highways or single lane highways. You have to downshift frequently. Is this is my observation or everyone feels that?

2. Till 2K RPM in 5th gear there is more vibrating noise from engine. If I cross 2K RPM then noise subsides. Is it uncommon? Speed during 5th gear 70 - 90 KMPH for this trip considering new engine and run-in period.

3. Hill climbing: 3rd gear is appropriate with 40 - 50 KMPH speed. Sometimes you have to downshift to second gear.

4. Philips Extreme bulbs in Safari are satisfying for night drive on highway. Please note I do not have FOG lamps as of now.

5. OEM Hella horn pair is adequate for Safari.

6. AC Blower with speed at 2 is adequate for high way driving in LX model. Sometimes I have to increase it to 3. Ambient temperature was 29 degrees to 33 degrees.
Old 11th October 2010, 20:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

hi anuj,

sorry for the delayed wishes but heartiest congratulations on your beast. Even though its a 10 yr old design, but it still stands out. As some one rightly said, everytime a safari crosses by, it makes a statement and that too a bold one.

What i wanted to ask you is how do you find the ride quality after a months usage? Has it improved?

How would you rate the brakes? Since youhave the non abs variant.

Please keep updating the thread as many like me are dreaming to own one someday and would like to know as much possible about the car.

Drive safe and drive a lot.

Cheers!!

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 11th October 2010 at 20:52.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:14   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

1. I feel fifth gear is very tall and it is 70% time not suitable for state highways or single lane highways. You have to downshift frequently. Is this is my observation or everyone feels that?

2. Till 2K RPM in 5th gear there is more vibrating noise from engine. If I cross 2K RPM then noise subsides. Is it uncommon? Speed during 5th gear 70 - 90 KMPH for this trip considering new engine and run-in period.

3. Hill climbing: 3rd gear is appropriate with 40 - 50 KMPH speed. Sometimes you have to downshift to second gear.

4. Philips Extreme bulbs in Safari are satisfying for night drive on highway. Please note I do not have FOG lamps as of now.

5. OEM Hella horn pair is adequate for Safari.

6. AC Blower with speed at 2 is adequate for high way driving in LX model. Sometimes I have to increase it to 3. Ambient temperature was 29 degrees to 33 degrees.
1. Never noticed the need to down shift often when driving on highway. But then, since you mentioned state / single lane highway, yes, when traffic is there or when your speed comes below ~70kmph, down shifting is required.

2. The vibration noise is due to the lack (absolute lack) of any proper damping in the Safari. You will have to see it to believe how bad it is. Quite irritating; only solution - damping.

3. Righto

4. I found them to be very inadequte. One highway drive to Mangalore and back was more than enough to get me running for a upgrade!

5. Absolutely.

6. Yes, the a/c is very effective. Very rarely have I run it on full power.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
how do you find the ride quality after a months usage? Has it improved?...
Ride quality is awesome and didn't felt body roll on highways unlike other SUV's/MUV's. Suspension has improved a lot in last ten years. New technology is something "5 point multilink suspension". However, I do not understand this term technically very well but feeling of improved ride quality is awesome during drive. You will not feel tired after long drive.

My wife used to get vomiting sensation (due to body roll and rough rides) in other cars but in this car she never felt once.

Quote:
How would you rate the brakes? Since youhave the non abs variant...
As of my feeling brakes are adequate for normal driving. I am sedate driver and do not race on the road. Let me tell you ABS never increase braking power but it just prevents locking of wheel during panic breaking.

InFact ABS increases stopping distance of any car. You will feel ABS once in a while, but if you are sedate driver and drive sensibly on road always (with proper prediction), most probably you will not indulge in panic breaking.

However, It is good to have this feature.

Quote:
Please keep updating the thread ...
Yes, I would keep this thread updated regularly.

Quote:
2. The vibration noise is due to the lack (absolute lack) of any proper damping in the Safari. You will have to see it to believe how bad it is. Quite irritating; only solution - damping.
Engine vibration noise in 5th gear was very very irritating even when you know you have done upshift at proper speed.

How to do extra damping? Have anyone tried that?

Quote:
4. I found them to be very inadequte. One highway drive to Mangalore and back was more than enough to get me running for a upgrade!
Do you mean normal OEM Philips bulb or Philips Extreme Power bulbs (more light in 55/60 watts)? OEM Philips bulbs were quite inadequate.

I upgraded to Philips Extreme Power bulbs (with 80% more light as per advertisement).

Last edited by anujmishra : 11th October 2010 at 21:33.
Old 11th October 2010, 21:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

For the damping, it is like what any normal ICE damping that a audio installer will do. Focus on doors & floor and then where-ever you feel like.

And for the bulb, I meant the OEM bulbs.
Old 12th October 2010, 23:46   #57
BHPian

Hey Anuj, that looks exactly like GX, except for the spare wheel cover and ORVMs.
Could you not change the LX lettering also?

I got my Safari last week. I have to start my ownership thread.. just soaking the drive. Will do so in couple of days.

Last edited by druva : 12th October 2010 at 23:47.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
Hey Anuj, that looks exactly like GX, except for the spare wheel cover and ORVMs.
Could you not change the LX lettering also?

I got my Safari last week. I have to start my ownership thread.. just soaking the drive. Will do so in couple of days.
I just painted cladding not intended to change logo or letters. They have done goofup with spare wheel cover and would correct it sometimes sooner. I personally do not like chrome mirrors, body color mirrors suits to any car very well.

Now, only two visible exterior changes would come

1. Front Fog Lamps
2. Rear Fog Lamps

Thats all.

Post you car pics in Safari Pics thread soon. We are waiting to take first glimpse of your ride.
Old 13th October 2010, 08:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have done goofup with spare wheel cover
and also the rear door hinge has to be Cycus grey not artic silver.
Old 13th October 2010, 09:12   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
and also the rear door hinge has to be Cycus grey not artic silver.
Oh yeah, you have nice pair of sharp eyes . I had missed it completely.

But isn't it looking good considering the lower hinge is in Silver color? I am going for first service next Friday and would take paint shop in charge into account.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks