Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 10:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anuj,

Did yu asked them about steering idler nuts and possibility of adjusting the turn radius little lower. In my experience it works wonders.

Regards
Amit
Old 15th October 2010, 14:12   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hey Anuj,

Did yu asked them about steering idler nuts and possibility of adjusting the turn radius little lower. In my experience it works wonders.

Regards
Amit
I will ask about turning radius modification with idler nuts adjustment during first Service.

I have booked my car for servicing on Monday(18/10/2010) as Fri, Sat, Sun are closed due to Dussehara. Car is already driven 1280 KMs and ready for first service. I am planning to change Oil during first service as I do not want to keep factory filled engine oil.
Old 15th October 2010, 18:15   #63
BHPian

Hi Anuj,

First of all my hearty congratulations for owning this Beast. I'm very happy to start my first post for a Safari Lover.

Being Scorpio Lover for past 7 years, now I'm transformed to Safari Lover due to some of my fellow T-BHPians like Tanveer, ADC, Hardcore Follower Pavan on their great ownership and travelogues report.

I'm sure and gonna own this beast very soon.

Good Luck and Drive Safe.

Regards,
Rajesh

Last edited by camon : 15th October 2010 at 18:33.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:23   #64
Senior - BHPian

First Servicing Today @1389 at ODO

Gave my Safari for first servicing at KHT Motors. In last 25 days I compiled one page of small issues (15 nos total). There is no major issue as such and happily came back from Tirupati Trip. I handed over a copy of issue doc to Service Advisor and he was really surprised to see the issue documentation.

Also gave my wheel cover painting goof up for correction. Evening I will collect my car and verify each problem listed in document with SA.

One query: These days RTO taking hell lot of time to deliver Smart Card aka Registration Certificate. Still I have not received. Without registration certificate it is risky to take vehicle to another state as police will harass driver. However I went to Tirupati.

Can anyone confirm how long they took for you to deliver Smart Card? I inquired at RTO and they said expect in another 3 - 4 days (Means full one month).

Once you buy new car in Karnataka, forget going long drives within first month.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:37   #65
Senior - BHPian

Keep the tax paid receipt (you should have got the original in hand, if not, get it).

That will suffice. And I doubt if there will be any random checks on vehicle RC book.

And since the person driving is the person on whose name the vehicle is, I am sure the insurance + tax documents will be more than enough. Don't stop any of those long drives.
Old 19th October 2010, 21:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Got car back! Satisfied with work

I have given my Safari LX today for first servicing at KHT Motors, Bangalore. 1387 KMs was on ODO. I have made list of issue needed attention during first service. Most of them were small issue. Here is the list I prepared

Safari First Service Issues
  • Steering tilted towards right
  • Gear knob tilted.
  • Air vent selector get jam and cannot come to front only position.
  • Headlights are not levelled. Check with proper levelling.
  • Momentarily loss of power (0.5 – 1 sec) while accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gear.
  • AC Cooling capacity check.
  • There was no water in windshield washer tank during delivery.
  • Rear door many times not able to open through keys. Have to open from inside. Alignment of rear door does not looks proper.
  • Clutch pedal making spring noise
  • Spongy feeling of brakes. Might be needed of brake bleeding.
  • Can we reduce turning radius with idler arm nut adjustment. It is huge as of now.
  • Sometimes suspension makes “KHAT” sound going diagonally over speed breaker.
  • Slightly car moves towards left while in motion. Alignment check.
  • Front Grill and Rear Left Door handle are loose
  • Wheel cover painting was not proper as per GX spec.
  • LX Monogram is not fixed at proper place

Service advisor attended all my issues one by one. Here are the corrective measures.
  • Steering and gear knob straitened.
  • They have lubricated Air Vent selector and it is working fine as of now.
  • Headlights leveled properly.
  • Momentarily loss of power. They have done some adjustments (Don't know what?). I am not feeling now. I have driven 10 KMs after service.
  • AC cooling is fine.
  • They have filled water in windshield tank.
  • Lubricated lock of read(dicky) door and corrected problem. As of now it is operating fine. Need to check after few days.
  • Clutch pedal spring greased, now noise is not coming.
  • They have cleaned the brake linings and feel is OK. However they have not done bleeding. If problem resurfaced I will ask for bleeding.
  • Turning radius they have adjusted (reduced) to maximum possible by adjusting idler. Earlier it was not there. If they reduce more tires will touch to wall.
  • Suspension KHAT: Greased idler arm.
  • Alignment done and no left movement
  • Front grill tightened
  • Body shop incharge corrected painting in wheel cover.
  • Rear Monogram placed at correct position, however I checked at home LX monogram is not fixed properly. I will fix it myself with QuickFix carefully, otherwise it will fell down.

I have not went for Engine Oil change as it is not recommended during first service.

Total bill came for servicing at the time of delivery is Rs. 0. I have opted for AMC package so all consumables are included in AMC.

Car is driving very well. I have driven 10 KMs as of now after servicing. Engine noise reduced (Feeling much softer) and gear lever is much more smooth now. Feeling of brake is good.

I have opted for front fog lamps fitting. Fog lamps are fitted but KHT did not have 2 way switch in stock. It is pending now and fog lamp is not working. I need to procure 2 way switch from outside. I want 2 way switch because later I will fit rear fog lamps too. So, both fog lamp shall be operated with single switch.
UP: Front fog lamps only.
DOWN: Front + Rear fog lamps.

Total bill without switch: 3114 Rupees.

It is ridiculous that OEM fog lamp switch (As of EX+ Models ) does not come separate. If it goes bust one has to change entire center console, costing 3500 Rupees.

Is there any place where I can source OEM fog lamp switch from outside?

I will search OEM look alike switch for fog lamps at JC Road, Bangalore. I saw in one of the Santro similar (Push to on, Push to off) external fog lamp switch was fitted from outside. I hope somebody should have manufacturing for Safari too.

Last edited by anujmishra : 19th October 2010 at 21:16.
Old 20th October 2010, 09:47   #67
BHPian

Congrats on getting first service done, Anuj. I'm sure your car is silky smooth now and ready to roll next 15000kms smoothly.

What is this AMC? Is it given by Tata or by dealer? If dealer, do all dealers give this?
How much does it cost each year? I would like to go for it as well if available from my dealer.

I also plan to give my to-arrive safari to KHT for servicing, as it is close to my work.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Congrats on getting first service done, Anuj. I'm sure your car is silky smooth now and ready to roll next 15000kms smoothly.

What is this AMC? Is it given by Tata or by dealer? If dealer, do all dealers give this?
How much does it cost each year? I would like to go for it as well if available from my dealer.

I also plan to give my to-arrive safari to KHT for servicing, as it is close to my work.
Car is silky smooth now and KHT service people have done wonderful job. Need to appreciate when you are satisfied. They have given detailed look for each and every small problem reported and they corrected.

While taking delivery they explained patiently to me all corrective measures taken for solving reported problems one by one. My Service Advisor's name was Tabreez.

AMC is offered by TATA Motors and not by dealer. It cost around 3700 for 2 years and 30K KMs which ever is earlier. My expected run per year would be around 15K KMs so I opted for AMC.

My car is very popular now . Many customers from KHT give me call or want to check my Safari. Yesterday three customer went to Service Station to check my Safari. I think they are following my thread.
Old 20th October 2010, 15:06   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
  • Rear Monogram placed at correct position, however I checked at home LX monogram is not fixed properly. I will fix it myself with QuickFix carefully, otherwise it will fell down.
Don't use quickfix / superglue , if you really want to fix get a 3M double sided tape ( black colored). If you are coming to commercial street from Safina using that small lane take left turn and there is this shop selling hand tools etc towards left.
This tape is useful for lots of other things as well :-)
Old 20th October 2010, 15:59   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Car is silky smooth now and KHT service people have done wonderful job. Need to appreciate when you are satisfied. They have given detailed look for each and every small problem reported and they corrected.
Good to hear.

Quote:

AMC is offered by TATA Motors and not by dealer. It cost around 3700 for 2 years and 30K KMs which ever is earlier. My expected run per year would be around 15K KMs so I opted for AMC.
Did they tell you about Platinum AMC plan?

Quote:
My car is very popular now . Many customers from KHT give me call or want to check my Safari. Yesterday three customer went to Service Station to check my Safari. I think they are following my thread.
Great. Now enjoy long ride and travelogue, please

Quote:
Rear door many times not able to open through keys. Have to open from inside. Alignment of rear door does not looks proper.
I am not sure whether I have alignment issue. But I have trouble opening. As my kids are enthusiastic about traveling in the rear cabin, I have enabled child lock. So no choice to open from inside.

After the first two days, I am getting the hang of opening and closing it.
While, opening you need to hear the 'cluck' sound.
Old 20th October 2010, 16:58   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One query: These days RTO taking hell lot of time to deliver Smart Card aka Registration Certificate. Still I have not received.
Anuj - it took me around 40 days to get my smart card from RTO. I was told that it was an issue with KA01 (Bangalore Central RTO) only as they had a huge backlog. My bad luck - they did not mention the correct model on the smart card (missed '4x4') and I had to give it for correction - took another 15 days to get the corrected one

On a relate note - it is always safe to travel out of state with the original RC card/booklet. Just the tax receipt might not work.
Old 20th October 2010, 17:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Don't use quickfix...
Better I will go KHT and ask them to fix properly. It is hardly 1.5 KMs away from my home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druva View Post
I am not sure whether I have alignment issue. But I have trouble opening...

After the first two days, I am getting the hang of opening and closing it.
While, opening you need to hear the 'cluck' sound.
Same problem. I could not able to open from outside. I need to push gate sometimes then gate used to open, otherwise I had to open from inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
On a relate note - it is always safe to travel out of state with the original RC card/booklet. Just the tax receipt might not work.
Yes, I agree with you. Maharashtra cops loves KA registered vehicle.

One update:

I got call from my TATA contact at Nagpur. They have original extra center console switches for Fog Lamps (Front and Rear). They kept it for me and once I go there I will fit, otherwise they will send to me through courier. So, non availability of outside switch was blessing in disguise. As they have not cut or removed any part from my dashboard.

Last edited by anujmishra : 20th October 2010 at 17:30.
Old 20th October 2010, 20:11   #73
BHPian

Welcome home, The ubiquitous beast of Indian Roads. Many congrats for the great vehicle you got for yourself. I think its something with this truck that appeals beyond sense. The heart always prevails over the mind when it comes to a Safari, "forget the niggles, I can handle that, can you handle a Safari", that attitude is beautiful.
So enjoy the beast and best of rides. Hope to read nice travelogues from this safari too!
Old 21st October 2010, 06:38   #74
BHPian

@AnujMishra,

I'm going to opt for Pearl White Safari LX and have planned to do painting for cladding. Seems you are happy with the work done by T.A.S.S.

Any comment you have for Pearl White Safari LX? Also how much you spent for this job?

Regards,
Camon
Old 21st October 2010, 09:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camon View Post
@AnujMishra,

I'm going to opt for Pearl White Safari LX and have planned to do painting for cladding. Seems you are happy with the work done by T.A.S.S.

Any comment you have for Pearl White Safari LX? Also how much you spent for this job?

Regards,
Camon
I suspect that LX variant comes in Pearl White. As per my knowledge LX comes in following color

1. Quartz Black
2. Cycus Grey
3. Mineral Red
4. Mountain Green (Extremely difficult to get, you may have to preorder with full payment)

Just inquire about availability of Pearl While LX. I have not seen one on the road.

For cladding painting showroom quoted price was 16,200 Rupees. I got some different deal for this.

Most Viewed