Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2010, 21:25   #1
BHPian

The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....

Hi bhpians, I just brought my Silver Nano LX home or the Indian Beetle as my family calls it so here's my short report on the car.

How it all Started

The first time I ever saw a Nano I fell in love with it. It was India's answer to the beetle and I felt that one day in the future I shall add it to my collection but I never thought it would be so soon.

Last month I visited the local tata dealership as I had to service my Safari, as I was waiting to get my beast , I decided to check out the cars in the showroom as I had all the time in the world in my hands. The moment I entered the showroom, there it stood, A gleaming Yellow Nano. Went straight to it and looked all around. The sales guy came soon as i opened the door and started explaining the usual way and constantly reminding to check out the Vista.

After all the technical talks and the price I asked him when will I be able to get the car if at all and he said it would take two-three months at least. With that in mind I left the showroom not knowing that opportunities can enter through other doors as well.

The Buying Process:
Last week as i was driving to go towards Panjim, I saw that a new Mahindra First Choice showroom had opened on the highway. As I was quite early to reach my destination decided to take a look. The showroom had all cars lined up at the entrance which ranged from the Mitsubishi Pajero to the Maruti Omni. As I was browsing the cars the sales person came and asked what I was looking for. As I told him that I was just browsing, I suddenly spotted the Tata Nano parked in between two SUV's. Just out of curiosity decided to check it out. When i reached the car the first thing I saw that the car was spotless and shining. Decided to take a look inside and thats when i found out this was almost brand new. The plastic seat covers weren't taken at all. Everything looked untouched. the sales person told me that the car had completed just 600kms and was for sale @1.6L. Hearing that I didn't wait for a minute a decided to book it that day itself.

The D-Day

Finally after 3 days of payment clearance, paper transfer the day came. Even after waiting eagerly for three days I could'nt wait any more. Finally after all the formalities I got my ride home.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....-optimized01102010121.jpg  

The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....-optimized01102010122.jpg  

Old 1st October 2010, 23:06   #2
BHPian

Congrats on your new car sir, Please post a pic of both your beast and the beetle.

Not to look at the negative sense, but is it possible to share the reason as to why the Nano was up for sale within 600 Kms and also please post as to why you were so interested to buy a beetle when the beast is available on hand?
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:18   #3
BHPian

@richie4u : Congrats for your prized possession! And welcome to the nano family! :-). It is indeed a very competent and well-put together car. Wishing you many more happy miles ahead.
Awaiting more pics and your detailed review!
Drive Safe!

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2010, 12:42   #4
BHPian

Congratulations richie4u! The Nano looks lovely! I share your excitement as I too got mine on Sept 6: a pretty red Nano (base model, BSII), after just one month of booking it.
Old 2nd October 2010, 13:25   #5
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Richie4u,

Congrats on your Nano. Please note that we do not permit mere delivery threads anymore and hence the thread is being closed.

Please PM any of the moderators or Report this post once you have a full driving + ownership experience.
Old 5th October 2010, 18:06   #6
BHPian

Driving Experience:

The first thing that happened once I told my friends and family that I bought a Nano they all asked me the same thing, literally it was the first question everyone asked “Do you fit in it?” Well the reason being I am 6.2 feet in height and a “club bouncer “material in size so you guys get the picture. I had to convince everyone by actually showing the car and how comfy it is.

Well that was day one. The next day being Gandhiji’s birthday was a holiday so I and some of my cousins decided to go on a long drive. That’s when I got the idea of taking the Nano for a long drive experience. (We also took an Innova along just in case the Nano broke down and we had to haul it back) So the destination was at the Ambolim Ghats,MH and back. A total of 400 km drive.

Well the points that I liked about the car:
•The car has good brakes which is a plus point for the car.
•The car got really good suspension as compared to some of the hatchbacks which give you back ache once you finish driving on a rough patch.
•The Nano has beautiful pickup which I never even thought it would have considering the money you pay for it.
•Since I am tall my seat is pulled completely to the back but surprisingly the space left for the rear passenger is equally good as compared to the top end 4L hatches which don’t even have that kind of space.
•The car has wonderful headroom as compared to an alto or a M800 in which otherwise I would have to bend my head to look at the road.

Things that Tata could improve on:
•I wish that a Nano would come with power steering as I clearly feel the lack of it with which would have been hit among the people. I know its supposed to be a cheap car but at least should have been introduced in the top end version.
•“What happened to the LHS rear view mirror?” was what I asked the sales person when he was showing me the car and that’s when he told me that the car doesn’t come with a LHS mirror. I know Tata went for fewer parts to reduce the cost but a rear view mirror? It’s a necessity and Tata should have at least kept the mirror for sale in the accessories list for those who would like to install it. The car first of all has those really big A pillars which can be really scary when a scooter approaches on the blind side which I have to look out for and on top of that there is no mirror at all.
•The rear seat becomes very hot when on a continuous long journey and can be a problem to the passenger at the back.

I feel that overall a Nano is a really good car and worth the money spent.

Accessories to be installed:

Leather seat covers
Alpine ICE system
Team-BHP sticker (can’t make a decision which to put any suggestions are welcome)

Here are some pictures comparing the two rides from the same stable. Better pictures of the Nano once my accessories are installed.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....-optimizedpa010045.jpg  

The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....-optimizedpa010042.jpg  

The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....-optimizedpa010046.jpg  

Old 5th October 2010, 19:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation richie4u on your new acquisition. Trust me, your Indian Beetle looks very cute.

And, is there any particular reason you didn't choose the color (yellow) it is known for?

Drive safe. Happy motoring.

PS: I liked the title of your ownership report

Amith
Old 5th October 2010, 21:20   #8
BHPian

@Klub Class :Thanks for your compliments. Well about the color choice, I never liked the yellow color at all so the canary yellow was out for me. Also there is a bigger reason for the "silver" color, this year is my parent's 25th wedding anniversary and so the choice.

@balajird The guy who sold the car loves to buy and change cars frequently. I know him well so I know the car was not mishandled. Also the car is bought just for city travel. Finding parking for a Safari in Goa's cities is next to impossible hence the Nano.
Old 6th October 2010, 08:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the buy, Richie, the car looks very attractive !

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie4u View Post
. Here are some pictures comparing the two rides from the same stable.
The pic of the Nano face to face with the Safari is superb, makes the cars look so lifelike

Quote:
. We also took an Innova along just in case the Nano broke down and we had to haul it back

Continuing in a lighter vein, I feel the day is not far off when modern SUVs will have a roofrack to accomodate a small car on top, to have as a standby in case the main vehicle breaks down !

Wishing you many happy miles in your Nano !

Last edited by mooza : 6th October 2010 at 08:07.
Old 8th October 2010, 08:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Richie4u,

Congrats. Nano is definitely very cute looking car and it is very convenient to drive in congested city roads and park anywhere.

Do post some more pics and wishing you many happy ownership years.
Old 27th December 2011, 16:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Indian Beetle:My Tata Nano Comes Home....

Quote:
Accessories to be installed:
Alpine ICE system
Hey Richie! Any updates on the ICE? Might be booking a Nano soon and the first thing to be fitted is ICE!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks