Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2010, 16:13   #31
Team-BHP Support

I guess so had a long look at the rear underbody snap, and it seems bumper has some crumble/impact absorbing area so attaching a hook is ruled out. See some holes on the chassis, maybe they can be the points lol or attach it to the spring mounts
Old 6th October 2010, 16:23   #32
KMT
BHPian

Samurai
I thoroughly enjoyed your writing style, it is succinct, informative and involving.
The Photos too were well thought out.

There is a lot more I have learnt about this vehicle via your review than I have from mainstream mags.

This is a segment that is relevant to a lot of us in India and it is great to see the biggies begin to introuduce some competition here.
Old 6th October 2010, 16:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Samurai one doubt? The front cabin lights are swappable with the screen right? I think its darn kewl. First it didn't strike me, ie if am not mistaken
Old 6th October 2010, 18:12   #34
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the front map reading lights are swappable with the screen. We didn't get to see the demo of that though.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:26   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

A very different report from others, certainly - not many experienced off-roaders exist to take a 4WD where it ideally belongs. Heck, most testers would actually shy away from posting muddy carpets and muddier undersides, but Team-BHP loves it! Drilled pedals would have been nicer.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-p9245475.jpg

The unprotected oil cooler and its pipe (marked in green) hanging down at the edge of the bumper may be a matter of concern when off-roading, and oddly enough there are a total of 3 tow hooks (2 eyes and one hook) up front and nil at the rear. Surely someone at Ford fixed on the big hook at the wrong end of the chassis?
2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review-111.jpg
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2010, 18:32   #36
Team-BHP Support

Even i noticed that SS The smaller hooks might be for bumper guards or something? The cooler seems to be OK since its inside the bumper area but the pipe seems to be lil lower? Maybe its the angle of the shot. Maybe Samurai can clarify.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

Interior looks luxurious with acres of leather. Its formidable size and old school architecture makes it seem like a Landcruiser for the masses.

I take it this is one of few vehicles with factory fitted GPS? Any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I understand that the Endy platform is basically developed from a light truck,?
Based on the Ranger pickup from 1992 and uses engine from Transit van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
If we were to sit in the third row our heads would be in our knees. Would do with a good bout of Yoga practice. Looks like that has not changed too.!!
When I sat in it, I found it not much better in the front and middle row. Floor waay too high and felt 'knee up' like sitting in a sports car.

But it does cast a large shadow on the road as it rumbles along.

Last edited by Mpower : 6th October 2010 at 20:44.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The smaller hooks might be for bumper guards or something?
...the pipe seems to be lil lower?
@Jaggu: The smaller hooks (eyes) are well and solidly bolted on to the chassis too, so they can be used for recovery - except that the eye on the right appears to be fouled by the big hook. Surely Ford didn't specifically keep them there for people to mount bullguards on? In that case the big hook might need to go...

The oil cooler pipe might snag easily while approaching a steep slope, or going over tree branches etc. in a no-road situation. It's a critical component, and I don't feel too happy about it being so exposed.

@Samurai: What's the redline at - 3200 rpm? That seems low for a common rail diesel; and a 3.0L that refuses to move the 2-tonne car much faster than your Jeep, and can be outrun by a Safari? That doesn't sound too good...
Old 6th October 2010, 19:28   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

@Samurai: What's the redline at - 3200 rpm? That seems low for a common rail diesel; and a 3.0L that refuses to move the 2-tonne car much faster than your Jeep, and can be outrun by a Safari? That doesn't sound too good...
The redline is at 4200rpm, pretty much normal for the segment its in. The 3.0 is pretty quick, ive been in a manual one and im sure the auto cant be too much slower.
Old 6th October 2010, 19:32   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Even i noticed that SS The smaller hooks might be for bumper guards or something? The cooler seems to be OK since its inside the bumper area but the pipe seems to be lil lower? Maybe its the angle of the shot. Maybe Samurai can clarify.
yes, it is lower. It is right behind the lower part of the bumper. If you don't judge the incline or obstacle correctly, that pipe will be crushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The tachometer shows the redline at 4400rpm. Now, I am finding it pretty difficult to explain the response of Endeavour AT in terms of MT vehicles.

My Jeep has a Peugeot engine which doesn't suffer any turbo lag, so it can take off pretty fast. But Endeavour AT can catch up within 10 seconds and be gone. To get the best out of this AT box, you have to always sink your foot into the pedal instead of ramming it down.
Old 6th October 2010, 20:01   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The redline is at 4200rpm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The tachometer shows the redline at 4400rpm.
Redline @4400rpm and peak power @3200rpm? What's the power curve like, I wonder.
Old 7th October 2010, 09:02   #42
Team-BHP Support

One of the participants sent this shot of me making the jump. I wouldn't have attempted it if I hadn't seen the photo of Jagat Nanjappa doing similar jumps in Endeavour on hard tarmac. This was done in a deserted beach, do not try this on public roads.

2010 Ford Endeavour AT: Test Drive & Review-p9240445.jpg
(Photo by Joshua Crasto of Indimotard)
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 15:15   #43
BHPian

This SUV has a tremendous road presence. I was looking to buy one last year. My brother-in-law has one and we went on a long trip to Udaipur in his Endy. I drove it extensively then for over 1000 kms. I loved the way it drove and handled itself. However the deal breaker for us was the stiff suspension. We literally felt each small stone whenever we went over one. Another sore point was the low seating in the second row. We are tall and it was a pain to sit in the second row with my knees practically reaching my chest. Wifey absolutely shot down the idea and I was none to keen either. A few months later my brother-in-law also sold his because of the suspension. If only they improved the suspension I would definitely revisit the idea.
Old 7th October 2010, 22:45   #44
BHPian

Hello people.
I know that the tow hook problem on the endeavour is a tough nut to crack, i have even started a thread for this purpose some time back but got no responses :-(
Old 8th October 2010, 11:56   #45
Senior - BHPian

samurai, nice thread with lots of detailed pictures and explanation.

I think I had read that the 4WD is shift-on-fly, however in this case, you needed to shift to N in order to move to 2H, which means either it is not shift on the fly OR there was an issue with this vehicle !

Where is the lock for Spare tyre cover ? We are aware of the demands in the chor market for them.

Most Viewed