Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2010, 19:08   #31
BHPian

I noticed that the tool kit is now in a black/grey bag and not in a thermocol kit under the spare wheel. Also the leather used on the steering wheel seems to be rough and grey in color unlike the one found in the earlier Linea, which is shiny black and soft.

Last edited by ghost_rider : 11th October 2010 at 19:11.
Old 11th October 2010, 19:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

sid, good review. any idea on bangalore pricing? i am sure it will be 10+ lacs on the road for the top end emotion. The current one's top end petrol itself is 9+ on the road bangalore. Definitely FIAT has introduced a rocking car and for all those underpoweredness feelings, this is a welcome break. With the cost of fuel increasing day by day (both petrol and diesel) 2-3 years down the line, cars in general and sedans and suv's in particular can become unaffordable easily.

its like saying you can always own a premium sedan like honda accord as long as you can put up with its paltry mileage. This thought will descend to normal sedans in just couple of years.

Its important that FIAT introduces mini SUV concepts and smaller perhaps two door cars to directly compete and the low end and at the same time plonk in powerful and torquey motors so that ownership is one heck of a driving experience!

That said, there is no doubts that even the 1.4 FIRE engine doing duty on current linea and manza petrol is by far the best engine for its torque and its extreme capacity to pull all the way from 10kmph to higher speeds. There is only one word for such a torquey petrol car - AWESOME!
Old 11th October 2010, 19:44   #33
Team-BHP Support

The Linea T-Jet and Fabia 1.6 are two cars, which many would like to own but would think twice, because of the manufacturers!

I sincerely hope the guys take notice of that and make ownership an experience in itself !
Old 11th October 2010, 20:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for this thread since a long time now. Its really nice to know that the interiors have improved in quality and the all the negatives like the underpowered engine and the bad gear ratios are finally improved. This will no doubt be a lovely car to own and so now whats next a 1.6 MJD to take on the Vento diesel?
Old 11th October 2010, 22:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

So far, it does seem that Fiat has managed to create the magic of the GTX again, after 9 years or so. The only difference is that the price tag is now 10 lakhs instead of 5 lakhs. I guess the detailed TD will reinforce the same. No particular variant has produced so much speculation before, as far as I know.

Now, the ownership experience needs to improve. It's not awful at some dealers, but there is room for much, much more improvement.
Old 11th October 2010, 23:06   #36
BHPian

i was expecting this car when Linea was introduced a year back. But was so disappointed with the TD and all the reports that i went on to buy a Petrol Fiesta(pics in my i20 1.4 crdi thread). Have enjoyed the Fiesta, but now that the "IDEAL" Linea is here (well almoast !) should i sell off the Fiesta and buy this beauty? or still wait a bit more for any mods/refinements etc ?
Old 11th October 2010, 23:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drasitkhanna View Post
i was expecting this car when Linea was introduced a year back. But was so disappointed with the TD and all the reports that i went on to buy a Petrol Fiesta(pics in my i20 1.4 crdi thread). Have enjoyed the Fiesta, but now that the "IDEAL" Linea is here (well almoast !) should i sell off the Fiesta and buy this beauty? or still wait a bit more for any mods/refinements etc ?
The petrol Fiesta is an excellent vehicle!

The T-Jet seems to be good, perhaps good enough to turn Fiesta buyers to it.
But I really doubt it is good enough to make you sell your car and buy it.

Maybe in another year, once discernible changes are seen in the after sales service, you can look at moving to the Linea.
Old 11th October 2010, 23:55   #38
Senior - BHPian

What are the gear ratios? I am looking for numbers.
Old 12th October 2010, 01:23   #39
ajai_dev

Ohh i almost forgot i was questioning a Fiat engineer who is a new employ at the Fiat-Tata dealership in Chandigarh to see if he has the knowledge or not and if i buy a Fiat product will he be able to fix it up or not.

I pointed out to him that i may buy Cruze LT or the Linea 1.6L MJD and told him about what the Chevy engineer had told me "sir this car internal body is 65% high grade steel industrial strength steel" he smiled and said "our cars like the Punto and Linea also have 60-65% high strength steel".

I was a bit skeptical and asked him to prove it he opened up a shinny plastic covered manual that had a big LINEA SERVICE/REPAIR MANUAL written on it and showed me what was written on the 3rd page. It went something like "weight decrease is achieved by the use of high strength steel in the 67 percentile across the Grande Punto" The company that supplies the steel is SAB said the engineer but i searched online there is no SAB FIAT website so i guess the company name he gave me is wrong.

Also since i did not see Linea's name in the guide i asked him how he was sure that Linea also has 60-65% high grade steel he said "Linea is made on Punto the basic frame underlay is same"

Old 12th October 2010, 02:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajai_dev View Post
The company that supplies the steel is SAB said the engineer but i searched online there is no SAB FIAT website so i guess the company name he gave me is wrong.
He must be talking about SSAB Swedish Steel.
They do provide high strength steel to the automotive industry. It is quite a big name!
Old 12th October 2010, 08:52   #41
BHPian

Sid, great post, as usual. Good, clear pics.
A request though. Is it possible to add the pics in thumbnails format in your post? Your nicely written words tend to get buried under the huge pics!
Old 12th October 2010, 09:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
I noticed that the tool kit is now in a black/grey bag and not in a thermocol kit under the spare wheel. Also the leather used on the steering wheel seems to be rough and grey in color unlike the one found in the earlier Linea, which is shiny black and soft.
What about a visit to Rama for a trade-in of our current Fiats? Time for a TD!

@Sid: Man, thanks for the review. Super stuff, as always.
Old 12th October 2010, 10:14   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
He must be talking about SSAB Swedish Steel.
They do provide high strength steel to the automotive industry. It is quite a big name!
+1. That would be SSAB, i guess!
Old 12th October 2010, 10:54   #44
BHPian

What is that area?? (Marked in Squre)
Is these for spekar or A/C vents or just a dummy space ??
Attached Thumbnails
Quick First Drive: Fiat Linea 1.4 T-JET-dsc00042.jpg  

Old 12th October 2010, 13:12   #45
BHPian

Great Post Sid, Pics and writeup was perfect. I almost felt as if i myself was at the showroom inspecting the car.

I second with your thoughts that T-Jet dynamic @ 7.5 Lacs is sorely needed.

Any thoughts comments on whether current pertrol lineas would be always paralley offered along with T-Jet, or they would be discontinued in due course?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks